Seasickness?

hlsess

If one buys these drugs over the counter at a pharmacy there is a trained pharmacist there to offer advice as to wether it's suitable and more importantly safe to be taken with other prescribed medication.

I doubt the SS receptionists have such knowledge and even if the ships Dr has authorised these drugs to be dispensed the said Dr cannot possibly know of the individual guest health issues or what prescribed drugs they are taking.

Whilst they might be a free handout l would opt everytime to consult the ships Dr and pay to be safe.

We disagree.

This is a drug whether an over the counter medication or not.

Reception is not a pharmacy or health care provider.

Are these drugs given with warnings?

Whether or not you agree, giving a drug to a person may be considered dispensing.

When you buy it at a pharmacy or drug store it comes with package inserts.

They describe side effects and interaction with other medications.

You are entitled to your opinions.

As a health care provider and a lawyer, I have mine.

What a wonderful topic of conversation for a group of 1 L's.

Too funny.

Those 1l days were so long ago.

We have gotten far afield from the original question.

Happy Friday!

Perhaps it should have been on the Cooler! What if a basket of seasick pills were placed on the Reception counter...in original packaging listing the ingredients?

Meclizine available OTC in the US.

Would you accept a tylenol from a bartender, or an ibuprofen proffered by your butler?

Same thing, really.

(FWIW proton pump inhibitors a la Nexium etc are also available OTC and probably far more dangerous than meclizine!)

Took meclizine for the first time ever earlier this month. Worked great. Am rarely seasick and this really helped. Dramamine oh so many years ago made me sleep for days. Ugh!

Would you accept a tylenol from a bartender, or an ibuprofen proffered by your butler?

Are you kidding? No way would I take such a pill from an untrained person.

The OTC argument is specious. When you buy OTC meds you have the full resources of a properly labelled package with a full printed fact sheet insert and an available pharmacist to ask if you have questions in a (hopefully) reputable store. You then take the responsibility of having sufficiently informed yourself and being in possession of pills that actually are what you think they are; then what you do with them is up to you.

Ditto specious is the more dangerous / less dangerous argument. Less dangerous doesn't translate to 'without any side effects'.

Of course one can and should take necessary meds; I just wish more people did it as an informed choice.

Sorry to hear. That was our experience too, except only 50% of us were ill. The OH slept right though it. You should be in more protected waters soon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been in very rough weather quite a few times, most recently on a Transatlantic crossing on the Wind in March. Here's my suggestion; the minute you feel, or hear from the Captain at his noontime announcement that rough seas are ahead, get to The Reception desk and ask for the "magic" pills. They work beautifully. Best of all is that they don't knock you out with sleepiness. Good luck...I think that you'll be just fine.

Did you enjoy this crossing? I usually do the Fall one on the Wind. I have been considering the TA next April instead. I'd love to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Penny

The original poster looking for help had finished his cruise, made it back home and would think; he is probably gone to get sick all over again reading how political "seasick' has become...

As sickening as it sounds, rules on the high seas are much different than land laws. Also SS has a well written "release of liability"

The usual seasickness medications are meclizine hydrochloride and dimenhydrinate.

Two drugs....Bonine(meclizine) and Dramamine(dimenhydrinate). Less-Drowsy Dramamine is in fact meclizine.

BOTH products are antihistamines and BOTH products have the exact same

safety, efficacy, and side-effect profile. No difference. However meclizine OR dimenhydrinate MAY cause less side effects, drowsiness included, in each individual. No way to know without taking. Package labeling many times as in this case often means nothing...

Meclizine, in any brand/form is the most prescribed drug for vertigo/motion sickness. Period. Best bet is to go to your local pharmacy and you can buy a bottle of 100 generic meclizine 25mg for the price of 8-12 name brand whatever.

Among us, one cat prefers meclizine, saying dimenhydrinate has unwanted side effects while the other cat is happy with dimenhydrinate. You try them and decide for yourselves.

One other "antidote" for seasickness: lie flat in your bed and do not get up. In many cases, that is enough to keep you from getting too sick and avoid vomiting. When the storm is over, you usually won't have much "hangover" from the medication.

Did you enjoy this crossing? I usually do the Fall one on the Wind. I have been considering the TA next April instead. I'd love to know your thoughts

I'm interested, too. I did the Transpacific West->East in May and I have to say that several days in a row losing either one hour, or two hours a night was pretty rugged. I'm pretty sure that there's a good reason that all the World cruises go East->West. It's got to be a lot more comfortable gaining hours at night instead of losing hours.

Although Kirk Detweiler, Cruise Director on Silver Shadow told me that even going E->W screws up the passengers body clocks. He also told me that he doesn't re-use team trivia questions. So I'm going to test him on both topics.

This September I'm doing the Transpacific E->W on the Shadow, the same ship I did W->E in May. I'm going to find out whether Kirk re-uses trivia questions, and I will also find out if Transpacific crossings are as miserable E->W as it is W->E.

Many moons ago I sailed from Chiba (Japan) to Los Angeles. Speedwise it was the fastest 'average journey speed' I have ever completed. 6000nm at an average speed of 22.6knots. Eleven days. Clocks? 7 hours differential. With a cruise ship a similar journey would take longer - I suspect. We had no problem 'body clock' wise so a longer journeyshouldn't cause any problem. One hour every other day or thereabouts.,

The only 'problem' I have seen with 'clocks' is when we crossed the IDL on 25 December and we needed to advance the clocks 24hours and miss a day. We didn't - and missed 26 December instead.

Seasickness: A fast 'reefer' (smaller than the Wind) in the North Pacific, in winter, tends to bounce around a bit - but again no problem with seasickness.

Just enjoy the ride!

We have done several E to W cruises in the Pacific, and I agree that 25 hour days are much better than 23 hour days. Having said that, after 12 days (not in a row) of 25 hour days, the fatigue does pile up a bit. I was amazed that our 24 hour E to W flight from Bali to US resulted in absolutely no jet lag and only a bit of fatigue due to the lack of humidity on the airplanes.

Penny,

Sorry I didn't get right back to you. I loved the crossing from Ft Lauderdale to Monaco. The Wind looked great. Both food and wines were especially good. The ports, especially Funchal, Madeira and Hamilton, Bermuda were wonderful. I have spent many happy vacations in Bermuda, so it's always fun to visit. The sledge ride in Funchal was fabulous! You might want to look for my "Live from the Wind" posts...started in late March/early April this past spring.

There were probably one or two days at sea more than I would have preferred, but it is a crossing, and there's a lot sea to cross! As I reported earlier, the seas were quite rough as we were out running a big storm...bouncy seas are a crossing hazard and with the (surprisingly controversial) pills handed out on request at the Reception Desk, it was no big deal to me, or to the three friends with whom I was sailing.

Any other questions? I'd be glad to answer whatever questions I can. And, if I don't know, some one else surely will!

Thank you so much! I am sure I will have a few more questions for you as time goes on. I am not bothered by rough seas and have experienced some on the Wind...if I did have a problem, I would be comfortable with the motion sickness meds that are available at Reception.

Funchal is one of my favorite ports of call. The Island is so beautiful. I have not been to Bermuda.

I really do enjoy the Trans Atlantic crossings on the Wind!

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the poster child for seasickness and found a wonderful remedy. 1 non-drowsy Bonine and 1 ginger capsule before boarding, repeat at bedtime and first thing in the morning. Together with the pressure wrist bands if it gets rough, I've never had a problem. We had 18' seas on a Western Med cruise in late November-December, in an aft penthouse suite which gave us more motion. However, with the magic remedy we were even able to go to dinner and had no problem. I'd never leave home without these!

I get terribly seasick and the ONLY thing that works for me is the patch, by prescription. http://transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm

I have tried Bonine, wrist bands, ginger and everything else. Nothing works for me but the patch. It works so well and I have no side effects that I feel it has enabled me to participate in many activities that ordinarily would make me very sick. I have been on some cruises with rough seas, I have been on snorkeling boats, on helicopter rides, float planes, etc. I could never do any of these before without getting sick. I just get a prescription in advance of my cruise to cover the number of days needed.