Just off Maasdam - a few photos & thoughts

michl8705

We got off the Maasdam just this morning from a Montreal to Boston sailing. I thought I'd share a few photos of the ship.

View from Deck 6:

2805tmr.jpg

Foggy evening on Deck 10 aft:

majfo0.jpg

Galley tour, baking area:

fm2b8y.jpg

One of the Mix bars:

s6rk03.jpg

My highlights:

- The food! It was the best I've had on any cruise (I've sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean before)

- Stateroom (ocean view, deck 6) was surprisingly spacious and sparkling clean

- Service was wonderful, particularly our cabin stewards

- The library was great - good selection of books and games.

- The culinary show was fun! However... they are moving to the new America's Test Kitchen I think this next sailing, because there were only 2 shows, both the same day, and the host said it was his last cruise. Would have loved more of these.

- The Ocean Quartet was fantastic. Don't miss them!

- Quebec City and Halifax were my favorite ports.

My lowlights:

- The variety of things to do: there were too many trivia activities and BBC-themed shows. The Windows workshops do not appeal to me at all. Would have loved a better variety.

- Entertainment: the comedian seemed like a great guy and actually had a lovely singing voice. A lot of his jokes were about famous folks from the 50s/60s. As I was born in the late 80s, it was hard for me to catch on and not very funny. The magician was good though! Didn't attend the singing/dancing.

- Syndey, NS. I suppose we should have booked a tour to Cape Breton. We basically just took it as a sea day though after getting back on the boat after an hour. It would be great if instead, they did two nights in one of the larger ports.

I definitely recommend this cruise and this ship! Fantastic time. :)

Edited by michl8705
Photos not working!

Thanks so much for sharing! We take this cruise in 3 weeks and there's not a ton reviews and pictures out there. I'm really looking forward to this cruise, it will be my first HAL cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maasdam was our first HAL ship, loved several cruises on her. Glad you were able to experience her as her days with HAL are likely not long. Loved the photos, made me a bit nostalgic. That's an itinerary we have not done, maybe someday. Thank you for posting. m--

I love Maasdam! Was on Veendam in Boston in May with Maasdam in port right behind us. Was glad to be going to Bermuda, but really wanted to be on Maasdam. Doing both ships again next year though; can't wait! Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Hi, we are considering doing our first cruise on Maasdam/Holland America. In the past we have sailed Princess and Celebrity. Has anyone else sailed either these lines and could tell us what sort of differences we may notice. What sort of age group is likely to be on board? Do many families and children sail on this line?

Due to our budget we are thinking of an oceanview stateroom. Any advice on how to pick a good one? We usually like to have cabins on the floor above and the floor below.

Any other suggestions for first time HAL cruisers.

Many thanks for your help.

Hi, we are considering doing our first cruise on Maasdam/Holland America. In the past we have sailed Princess and Celebrity. Has anyone else sailed either these lines and could tell us what sort of differences we may notice. What sort of age group is likely to be on board? Do many families and children sail on this line?

Due to our budget we are thinking of an oceanview stateroom. Any advice on how to pick a good one? We usually like to have cabins on the floor above and the floor below.

Any other suggestions for first time HAL cruisers.

Many thanks for your help.

Not having sailed those other brands, I suspect you might be in a state of shock on the Maasdam since she is much smaller and much older. How much homework have you done on the different brands at this point, and why did you choose the Maasdam in the first place. That may help to understand what you can expect.

Maasdam is one of our favorite HAL ships, with great itineraries and we will soon be joining her again for our third long cruise on her. So we find a lot to like about this small, older, comfortable, classic ship. If you cruise more to travel, HAL ships cannot be beat for itineraries, value and price.

If you cruise more for a variety of onboard amenities and lively entertainment, this choice may take some change in your expectations. HAL ships work best for the "self-contained" passenger who likes quieter times and activities. However, longer HAL cruises will offer enrichment lectures and a lot of the standard daytime activities as well as a variety of nighttime music and show events.

But both Princess and Celebrity sell very different products - a lot more interior style, glitz, activity and size. Are you ready to dampen down those expectations and get a much smaller, quieter and older product? Age of passengers will depend on route, time of the year and length of the cruise but like its reputation, HAL ships particularly on the longer voyages will attract more past the retirement age.

Oceanview cabins are very nice sized on this ship so you should be very comfortable.