Lunch first day

cdn.cruiser

In case it isn't clear, that's your only choice! None of the big restaurants are open for lunch on boarding day.

Waves is right next to the Terrace. The Terrace has a more involved menu but most passengers like Waves for its choices as well. (We enjoy their burgers and especially the smoothies on a hot day.)

We generally come on board in time to have lunch there, but it can be crowded. Occasionally we spend time touring in the morning and/or early afternoon and come up board later ... hopefully in time for lunch, but not always! When we transferred from Rome to Civitavecchia one time we didn't get to the ship until 4pm which meant only snacks were available in the Executive Lounge (we were on Marina that time).

Mura

we eat in port & board later but do hit Waves for a milkshake or Barristas for coffee

Usually the Terrace is chaos on embarkation day with people & bags all over the place

WE make sure to go to the terrace as they always seen to be carving a whole turkey for lunch. The only time I have seen them do that. A nice touch. Try to get there by noon and then we can unpack. Makes for a very relaxing start to all our cruises. :):):)

OMG, I LOVE the turkey and they never have it again during a cruise. We once turned down an invitation from an officer on a back to back, and I told him the truth--I wanted the turkey.

Great lunch in the Terrace, but it does get packed.

We try to carry on only the very minimum so that we are free to walk around the ship and relax. Our larger airline carryon bag gets checked at the dock-only keep meds and a few things. We see lots of people dragging heavy luggage.

Mary

We try to carry on only the very minimum so that we are free to walk around the ship and relax. Our larger airline carryon bag gets checked at the dock-only keep meds and a few things. We see lots of people dragging heavy luggage.

Mary

On our last cruise on the Riviera in January I didn't like what seemed to me to be the haphazard leaving of luggage (Miami) so I took all my luggage with me to lunch; I guarantee I was the only one in the Terrace to do that and it was already a hot mess there. When we got called for our room

we were able to unpack immediately at 1 pm rather than waiting for luggage to arrive, but I don't think I'll do it next time.

Unlike most posters here, we eat ashore and arrive to the ship at 2:30 or later. We can then go immediately to our rooms. Do I like roasted turkey, yes, the Terrace has had it three times already on my current cruise. But, unlike most posters here( and aboard ship), I don't go to Italy, Spain, Denmark, Bangkok, or Hong Kong to eat roasted turkey or hamburgers . We find a great local restaurant, serving local cuisine, and totally avoid the mad house aboard ship. Each to his own, but there a typically wonderful options to arriving early and eating aboard.