"Are you ready for some pain?" OR "Why you should buy travel insurance."

hoopics

Thanks for this important thread. I am sorry for your pain. It has got me thinking. I am looking thru our trip insurance thru NCL. Seems like it only covers trip cancellation, interruption & death & dismemberment ugh! Doesn't say a thing about having medical issues. I would guess I need another policy for medical issues? Are there policies out there that cover both? Looks like more research is in my future but does anyone know offhand? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never book insurance through the cruise lines. I can get much better coverage that includes medical/dental etc for far less through Insure My Trip. You put in some info and they will show you all the different plans from many different companies and you choose which is right for you.

I had never purchased trip insurance prior to my last planned trip. I was traveling with my mom, who is still quite young at 78, but there was always a chance she could fall or something would happen. Well, as it turned out, the day before we had planned to leave MY retina decided to detach, so I had emergency surgery and we were unable to go on the trip. I'm still waiting to get the travel refund. So when I planned my next trip, which is a Baltic cruise with my husband, I definitely purchased the trip with the same company as noted by OP. Hoping I don't have to use it, but this trip is such a major investment, I didn't feel like I could go without it.

Thanks for this important thread. I am sorry for your pain. It has got me thinking. I am looking thru our trip insurance thru NCL. Seems like it only covers trip cancellation, interruption & death & dismemberment ugh! Doesn't say a thing about having medical issues. I would guess I need another policy for medical issues? Are there policies out there that cover both? Looks like more research is in my future but does anyone know offhand? Thanks.

Hello fellow traveler! Look at Insuremytrip dot com. They will give you a lot of options.

I can't wait till our trip!

Hmmm. Attached is a screenshot of the Book safe plan through NCL. Thought I am covered. Will need to do more research on this.bdaab1c5511f116575432bddd2922b10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My insurance thru NCL is a policy by Nationwide Mutual. No mention at all about medical expenses. Thanks.

Hello fellow traveler! Look at Insuremytrip dot com. They will give you a lot of options.

I can't wait till our trip!

This thread right here is why CC is so great!! So helpful!! I will look at the above website. Now. Does anyone know if it will be difficult to cancel my trip insurance from NCL & get a refund? I am cruising Sept 19. Thanks!

I have the NCL travel insurance for our cruise next week (Book Safe) and it shows that it covers up to 10K per person for medical expenses. It says it is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Co. Hope we don't have to use it but it does have it.

A friend of mine went on a day day European cruise. Her luggage never arrived..She had to go buy clothes in Denmark before she embarked (she was there five days before the trip, never arrived) In addition it was the trip from hell.. 2 days flight cancellations in Paris forcing her to cancel her excursions. She got money for clothes, her luggage, and for trip interruption. Then two weeks after she came home they found her luggage..in Morroco!

We have cancellation coverage through our credit card. However, if we had to cancel due to a pre existing medical issue....it would not be covered.

This credit card also has limited medical, but we always buy a Geoblu travel medical policy that covers us well over $100,000 each. This year it made sense to buy an annual Geoblu policy, since we would be traveling out of the country more than a month.

While both the credit card and Geoblu have evacuation policies, I opted to also purchase a Medjet Assist (very high end evacuation policy) annual policy this year. Our first trip was to Southeast Asia (land) and I wanted a policy that would get us to the best medical care, based on a decision by our own physician. Most people don't realize that evacuation policies only get you to a care facility approved by the insurance company and only when the bean counters at the insurance company approve the evacuation.

Financially, we can absorb the loss of a trip payment (or we wouldn't take that trip) but, a very large uncovered medical cost would really impact our life savings. So I'm comfortable with what cancellation coverage our credit card may provide (Chase Sapphire Reserve).

I won't purchase the Medjet for next year because we are not going anywhere super exotic. But, in 2019 we will, since we have a South American cruise planned.

Hope that some portion of this was helpful to someone out there. Stay tuned for an update here on the insurance denouement, hopefully within 24 to 72 hours.

The End.

Staying tuned; definitely want to hear how much AIG reimburses you. We always buy insurance, as we feel the cost is minimal considering the fact that Murphy's Law can rear its ugly head at the most inopportune time. Thanks for reporting your experience. Now, waiting for the denouement.

insuremytrip.com will provide LOTS of information on coverages and options.

I second this, as I used them for my policy. Only I reason I didn't put the URL up in my original post is I thought that sort of thing was frowned upon. The purchasing process was super easy, and the plan I picked offered better coverage at a fraction of Norwegian's rate.

Brief update on the claim itself. -- put my claim into AIG yesterday via their handy web portal, and was assigned a claims handler today. Waiting on a decision. No ETA on that.

And thanks to everyone for the sympathy and the kind words about my story. I swore to the doc on the ship that his memorable greeting to me would go front and center in my review. I felt I had to follow-through on that, but in a way that gave the right context. The insurance stuff is just icing.

I have the NCL travel insurance for our cruise next week (Book Safe) and it shows that it covers up to 10K per person for medical expenses. It says it is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Co. Hope we don't have to use it but it does have it.

I normally buy insurance through 3rd party companies because its more comprehensive and cheaper but last time we booked I got the NCL insurance because my aging parents were going with us. Well, my dad ended up getting sick on the ship and a trip to the dr and meds was $1100. We have to file with Medicare and his supplemental insurance first (which will be denied as there is very limited coverage while on cruise ships). After we get the denial it needs to be sent to the trip insurance company for payment.

While I think insurance is a personal decision based on acceptable risk and your personal circumstances, I have no sympathy for people who choose not to buy it then complain about losing money when they had to cancel or be evacuated due to injury or illness. You had the choice.

I've been cruising for 20 years and always take the insurance. Like the poster above, I've become more adamant about it as my mother and traveling companion reached her late 80s. Then just last February, when we had booked an "especially special" cabin on the Oasis to celebrate 20 years of cruising, I finally had occasion to use the insurance -- but, again like the poster above, not because of Mom. The night before we were supposed to leave I was in the emergency room vomiting blood from what turned out to be an ulcer I never knew I had (obviously I have not been cruising enough!) Just three weeks after I filed my paperwork on the claim, I received checks totaling @$15,000 that I would have had to swallow for our cruise fare but for the insurance (at a time when I was not in a position to swallow anything[emoji849]). Like they say, insurance is a waste of money -- until you need it.

This thread right here is why CC is so great!! So helpful!! I will look at the above website. Now. Does anyone know if it will be difficult to cancel my trip insurance from NCL & get a refund? I am cruising Sept 19. Thanks!

tripinsurancestore.com is another great site ... I have purchased from them and from insuremytrip.com. I lean toward tripinsurancestore.com more now because they have selected about 10 good plans (so you don't get the old "paralysis by analysis" trying to decide which is best) and they answer questions very quickly via email.

And thanks to everyone for the sympathy and the kind words about my story. I swore to the doc on the ship that his memorable greeting to me would go front and center in my review. I felt I had to follow-through on that, but in a way that gave the right context. The insurance stuff is just icing.

You have a great writing style. I wish you good health and great times on all your future travels, but if you do have any other mishaps, you must return here and tell us!

Travel insurance for us is all about the medical costs. I think the typical insurance policy is 5 - 8% of your cruise fare with good coverage. I envy those that travel more than I can, and buy the annual policies that save them some cash and cover all their trips. I think the break even with those policies is 2 cruises a year.

I have always purchased insurance through the cruise line. Never had to use it until last year on the Epic, developed a case of pink eye that required trip to medical center. The staff and facilities were outstanding, spent maybe an hour there and walked out with almost $700 added to my account. I submitted paperwork upon return home, I was reimbursed in less than two weeks. Will always buy insurance.

Thanks for sharing your story.

There is a different between "trip insurance" and "travel HEALTH insurance" I receive trip cancellation/interruption/lost luggage insurance coverage for free with one of my credit cards.

I do buy travel HEALTH insurance. On an April 2017 NCL Gem cruise, my mother got sick with diarrhea. After a few days of self treatment we needed help and went to the ship doctor. For 3 hours in the ship ER the charge was over $1200. Travel health insurance covered it. We paid $60 for 10 days of coverage for a 72 year old. We had a $25 deductible.

Here is a link to my trip report with more details.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2505388

Mlsetc, so glad to hear that your NCL insurance worked smoothly. Did you have to submit to your regular health insurance first, and then to the NCL company? I know our HMO would never cover anything on a cruise ship, much less in Europe (where we will be) so it would be pointless to submit a possible claim to them.

Also, was it easy to figure out how to do the whole NCL insurance process?

Thanks for sharing your story.

There is a different between "trip insurance" and "travel HEALTH insurance" I receive trip cancellation/interruption/lost luggage insurance coverage for free with one of my credit cards.

I do buy travel HEALTH insurance. On an April 2017 NCL Gem cruise, my mother got sick with diarrhea. After a few days of self treatment we needed help and went to the ship doctor. For 3 hours in the ship ER the charge was over $1200. Travel health insurance covered it. We paid $60 for 10 days of coverage for a 72 year old. We had a $25 deductible.

Here is a link to my trip report with more details.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2505388

Interesting point.

I always purchase the cruise line trip insurance, but since always plan a lengthy pre or post cruise land trip, I have purchased medical insurance and evacuation from AmEx. We are spending a month in the UK prior to our next TA and for DW and self I purchased such a policy for about $50.

Hmmm. Attached is a screenshot of the Book safe plan through NCL. Thought I am covered. Will need to do more research on this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I just spoke to an NCL representative. She looked at our reservation and said that we also had the above insurance thru Booksafe-same benefits. Everyone that buys insurance thru NCL apparently gets this standard insurance with trip protection and medical expenses. I do not know why, but when I made my reservations, I ended up printing out some policy from Nationwide. The rep said she had never heard of it. The rep also told me that she has used the NCL insurance. After her cruise, she dropped her phone on the plane and broke it. This NCL Booksafe insurance paid for a replacement phone!! I am an RN and always think of the worst that can happen. I think trip insurance is soooo important!! I will research the other websites next trip. Per NCL cancellation policy, at this point if I cancelled the insurance I would forfeit 10% of the cost. I am happy with the one I have at this point. Happy, safe and well cruising everybody!! Thanks for sharing your stories and all of the helpful information!!

Let me just say that wow - you are brave for going through all of that. I did not have the same gruesome experience on the Gem in May, but I did get a chest cold and had a very difficult time breathing. It was the first time I have ever needed medical care (knock on wood) while on vacation.

DH and I decided to get trip insurance through Allianz due to his multiple back issues this year. We wanted to cover ourselves "just in case". We spent $150 for the both of us - and my total medical bill on the Gem was almost $400. When we got home, I submitted everything online to Allianz and within 2 weeks I had a FULL reimbursement check in my hand. I was shocked and happy it was that easy.

I will ALWAYS get insurance now, because as many here said - you just never know!

I have been cruising for 25 years. And my upcoming cruise in October is the first one I have ever purchased insurance for. Now that we are starting to get up there in age it just seems like the smart thing to do. We have never had an issue in the past. And had some trip coverage through our credit cards. But the worry of something happening was always there. The stress level of waiting for this upcoming cruise has been the least I have ever had. We almost had a cruise cancelled last year due to Hurricane Matthew. (we left the saturday after many cruises were cancelled or altered). Just for stress relief alone we will always buy insurance from now on.