Can Bronchitis be connected to a Cruise?

Pepamom

Ice cream has no bones. Let's do it this way: Odds of possibility is, let's say, 60%, and the other 40%. Narrowing it down to the 40% and ignoring the 60% is silly.

What possible connection has this statement to the notion of narrowing two possibilities to identify the smaller?

In fact, what????

In fact, what????
You're working too hard to avoid acknowledging what I wrote originally. It isn't worth the effort to get you to do so, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

To make such a statement, you clearly have inside information that they were cruises without ports of call or airline flights to reach the port of embarkation. :rolleyes:

A good 'test' for that theory i s a cruiser who did not fly to embarkation port, is sailing from Boston or nY to Bermuda as there are no ports until the ship reaches Bermuda. If lots of cruisers get what I calll 'cruise crud', one can say they likely got it on the ship asssuming they were healthy when they boarded.

I would doubt that any illness is caused by the ship's A/C, per se. USPH requirements call for disinfecting pads to be placed in all air handlers, and renewed regularly, and the schedule is audited. These pads are for killing the airborne spores of molds, mildews, and bacteria and viruses like legionella.

Having said that, the ship's A/C tends to make the air dryer than most A/C on land, simply because the air at sea is moister and that moisture is salt water. The A/C system will drop the air temperature well below the dew point to remove the moisture, and then reheat it to the proper temperature for delivery to the spaces.

This is very similar to aircraft "A/C" which uses the very cold outside air to drop the humidity.

This low humidity can dry out the sinus tissues and this is the first line of defense against infections.

To make such a statement, you clearly have inside information that they were cruises without ports of call or airline flights to reach the port of embarkation. :rolleyes:
A good 'test' for that theory i s a cruiser who did not fly to embarkation port, is sailing from Boston or nY to Bermuda as there are no ports until the ship reaches Bermuda. If lots of cruisers get what I calll 'cruise crud', one can say they likely got it on the ship asssuming they were healthy when they boarded.

You're working too hard to avoid acknowledging what I wrote originally. It isn't worth the effort to get you to do so, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I would be delighted - but it would help if you could explain what it is upon which you wish to disagree. Your last post made no sense whatsoever.

You've outline a good test scenario. Next step is to run the test, and record findings, both positive and negative, so they can be analyzed.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Your last post made no sense whatsoever.
It made sense just fine and like I said it isn't worth the effort to get you to acknowledge that. Past experience trying to do so indicates a general lack of willingness to see my perspective that you disagree with so I am perfectly happy to agree to disagree with you and ignore the rest of the nonsense.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The college of Cardinals cloistered in the engine compartment were unable to elect a new Pope during your cruise.

You are going to be excommunicated and/or sent straight to Hades.:evilsmile:

Roz

I would doubt that any illness is caused by the ship's A/C, per se. USPH requirements call for disinfecting pads to be placed in all air handlers, and renewed regularly, and the schedule is audited. These pads are for killing the airborne spores of molds, mildews, and bacteria and viruses like legionella.

Having said that, the ship's A/C tends to make the air dryer than most A/C on land, simply because the air at sea is moister and that moisture is salt water. The A/C system will drop the air temperature well below the dew point to remove the moisture, and then reheat it to the proper temperature for delivery to the spaces.

This is very similar to aircraft "A/C" which uses the very cold outside air to drop the humidity.

This low humidity can dry out the sinus tissues and this is the first line of defense against infections.

I really appreciate your good explanation. However, the A/C pads are not always cleaned as much as they should.

I keep track of inspections of whatever ship I intend to travel via the CDC. Using the following link, which gives scores (85 or below is failing) to U.S. flagged ships.

If you look for "Ventilation" violations, they are usually concerning unclean units. Examples would be Carnival Dream and Celebrity Constellation. Keep in mind, the Constellation does not have a recent score because it has been in Europe, not the U.S. Also, ships have the opportunity to raise their score if the violation is corrected with corroborating paperwork submitted.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

~Profile Says Everything~

Not quite how it works.

Air is very thin at cruise altitude (anything above 10-20,000' ASL and modern jet cruise up to 42,000') so the air has to be compressed so it is breathable (as in dense enough). Air is compressed by the jet turbines and as a result becomes very hot. It is then released into the cabin, and is rather warm, and dry as you mention. A/C is needed to cool this air and some airlines run the temps warm as it saves on fuel.

The cabin is also only pressurised to the equivalent of 8,000' ASL unless you're flying on a 787 where it's 6,400' due to the less-susceptible-to-corrosion carbon fibre construction.

They diagnosed acute bronchitis at first but since it has not responded to traditional treatments the doctor is finally looking at other options. Don't know what that would be. I'm afraid they are not properly diagnosing. I'm a healthy senior who was desperately sick within 5 days of returning from a cruise. I know it could be from anywhere but that's the only change in my life near that time.

I would assume by now that your doctor has ensured that you have had the relevant tests to determine whether you have a bacterial or viral infection if they are concerned about your lack of recovery. If viral then antibiotics will be of little use unless you have picked up a secondary infection. Viruses can be hard to shake off especially if run down, and there isn't much in the way of effective treatment for them. It is difficult to determine where you picked up your condition it may or may not have been the ship. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are cruising again soon.:cool:

I really appreciate your good explanation. However, the A/C pads are not always cleaned as much as they should.

I keep track of inspections of whatever ship I intend to travel via the CDC. Using the following link, which gives scores (85 or below is failing) to U.S. flagged ships.

If you look for "Ventilation" violations, they are usually concerning unclean units. Examples would be Carnival Dream and Celebrity Constellation. Keep in mind, the Constellation does not have a recent score because it has been in Europe, not the U.S. Also, ships have the opportunity to raise their score if the violation is corrected with corroborating paperwork submitted.

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionGreenSheetRpt.aspx

~Profile Says Everything~

As one who has worked on cruise ships, and supervised the technical aspects (like the AC system) and its requirements with regards to the USPH, I'm aware of the CDC site, and the reports (I've written corrective action reports for these). While there may be some violations found during inspections, balance this with how many AC units in office buildings, high rise housing, or even restaurants on land are inspected, or required to even have sanitizers or routine cleaning. Look at the outbreaks of legionella that have happened in apartment buildings in NYC and other cities.

Good point. And especially look at the difference with regard to reporting requirements between such incidents as they happen at sea and such incidents as they happen on land. I mentioned the land aspect of this and the airline aspect of this because these are places where these kinds of problems can occur but we never realize how big the problems are in those areas because they're not required to report those things in the same way that cruise ships are required to.

• 3 weeks later...
For the last number of years, I have gotten bronchitis while cruising. So I came home already sick.

Our family doctor always gives us prescriptions to take with us.

Bronchitis lasts anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks for me.

Frequently started with the cough when we were onboard a few days and had bronchitis by the time we got home.

We don't abuse antibiotics by any means, but nice to know they are with us in case they're needed.

• 2 years later...

I frequently get Bronchitis after a cruise BUT I don't think it's from the cruise I think it's from the airplane ride home.  There is usually someone near me going home hacking away into our common source of air!!  I am on an antibiotic now trying to get well for my next cruise this Spring. 

36 minutes ago, arizgirl said:

I frequently get Bronchitis after a cruise BUT I don't think it's from the cruise I think it's from the airplane ride home.  There is usually someone near me going home hacking away into our common source of air!!  I am on an antibiotic now trying to get well for my next cruise this Spring. 

But you get sick before the bronchitis, right? Like a cold.

4 hours ago, arizgirl said:

Way back I used to experience that after every flight of say 4 hours or more.   Like clockwork.    Then I started drinking a lot of water on the plane.  I avoided soft drinks and alcohol.  Started moving around as much as practical.  I can't remember if I was told to do this by my Doc or heard it somewhere else.  Anyway, I  don't have the problem any more.   

On 7/13/2017 at 8:26 PM, Underwatr said:

I'll just take this opportunity to mention that bronchitis can have bacterial or viral causes.

http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw49584

I've had antibiotics prescribed by the Doc for bronchitis more than once.  I never thought about it before but now I reckon I must have had the bacterial version.   

On 7/14/2017 at 12:09 PM, sail7seas said:
Roz said:
You are going to be excommunicated and/or sent straight to Hades.:evilsmile:

Roz

Where did he state what faith (if any) he follows?:confused:

(pretty sure it was a joke)

On 7/14/2017 at 1:26 PM, Underwatr said:

I'll just take this opportunity to mention that bronchitis can have bacterial or viral causes.

http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw49584

It can also be caused by pollution, as I've just discovered after bad bushfire smoke pollution in Sydney. It's not an infection though, just an inflammation so a dry cough rather than a wet cough but it still affects breathing.