Very concerned???

Action Dave

I was booked on a Panama Canal cruise on the Sun which is not an option now that the sun is relocated to Caribbean. Soo being a man of action I hunted and booked a cruise to western Mediterranean embarking in Rome.

I was very very excited about my choice until I discovered that the Month of August in europe is Vacation time and most places shut down for the whole month. Is this true? Should I change my time to September? Like the mad hatter..what to do, what to do.

My NCL 10 day 50th birthday cruise on the SUN has disappeared, too! I am very disappointed if the sun is being relocated. :loudcry:

WHERE do I find this information about the sun being relocated??? TIA

My NCL 10 day 50th birthday cruise on the SUN has disappeared, too! I am very disappointed if the sun is being relocated. :loudcry:

WHERE do I find this information about the sun being relocated??? TIA

There have been several threads about it, plus it's on the News page. Check it out https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7939 . The Sun will be cruising to Cuba out of Port Canaveral.

Edited by bluesea777

Most things will be open in August but they will be crowded. It would be better to change to Sept if you could. Also maybe the temps will be lower ?

Best to go off season i.e. early June or before, or late Sept or after. Late June, July, Aug and early Sept would be too hot and too crowded to go.

I was booked on a Panama Canal cruise on the Sun which is not an option now that the sun is relocated to Caribbean. Soo being a man of action I hunted and booked a cruise to western Mediterranean embarking in Rome.

I was very very excited about my choice until I discovered that the Month of August in europe is Vacation time and most places shut down for the whole month. Is this true? Should I change my time to September? Like the mad hatter..what to do, what to do.

Maybe it's still on because the Sun needs to go thru PC to reposition to Santiago Chile for winter season 2018-9. Keep checking the itineraries.

We've booked the Star B2B June 3-10-17 2018 out of Venice - why don't you check out these 2 itineraries? :cool:

We did the Western Med on the Epic twice in August! We have no choice, we are both in Education and it is school holidays here in the UK.

If I had the choice, I would definitely cruise that area in September. Both the crowds and the heat should be more bearable.

We visited the Vatican and the Sistine chapel and I was SO hot and bothered, I really didn't take it all in!

We didn't notice that places were closed, except the first time we visited, The Vatican was closed because it was a Feast day.....the Feast of the Assumption.....August 15th. My DH was NOT impressed that a good Catholic girl didn't know that! :confused:

Love to travel in Europe during September when they are harvesting the grapes to make the wine. As others have already posted best not to travel during school vacation months. Spent 30 years in education so really enjoyed being able to travel off season once I retired. Less travelers and normally better prices. Whatever you decide, Happy Sails.

There have been several threads about it, plus it's on the News page. Check it out https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7939 . The Sun will be cruising to Cuba out of Port Canaveral.

The Sun is scheduled to do a 17 day Panama Re-Positioning Cruise out of Seattle, Washington on the 19th of April 2018. Her new home will be Port Canaveral, Florida. She will be doing a 4 day cruise to Cuba and and 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. She is being re-deployed so there will be TWO sailing out of Florida to Cuba and The Bahamas.

Yes, it is Vacation time ....in some parts of Europe. You did not say where your cruise was going. As others have said, the tourist spots will be very open. Some small local stores and restaurants will be closed but it s no problem for most cruise passenger as you are only there for one day and will be going to the more touristy places anyway. Yo will not even notice. I did business in Italy and England for over 10 years and vacations are not really noticeable.

So, I did not see Sun's 4 day schedule up yet? Agree?

I love the Sun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except for the Norwegian Press Release of 10 July, making all the Sun's Re-Deployment, I have not seen posted yet any specific cruise information. The Release did say that beginning on Monday 7 May 2018, The Sun would begin cruising to Cuba with an overnight stay and then a port of call stop at Key West before returning to Port Canaveral for the 3 day Bahama cruise.

The Release did say that The Sun would do a 17 day Panama Cruise leaving Seattle, Washington on the 19th of April 2018. I have been checking every day for that cruise to open for bookings.

I called and was told I am on a "displacement" list so I have to wait till Monday to talk to someone and see what they are doing for Alaska regarding my cancelled cruise.

Edited by 232271

I called and was told I am on a "displacement" list so I have to wait till Monday to talk to someone and see what they are doing for Alaska regarding my cancelled cruise.

A number of the cruises of The Sun's Alaskan season were automatically transferred to the corresponding date on The Jewel.

Just a few of The Sun's cruises for late September 2018, were actually canceled, mine being one.

A number of the cruises of The Sun's Alaskan season were automatically transferred to the corresponding date on The Jewel.

Just a few of The Sun's cruises for late September 2018, were actually canceled, mine being one.

Ours was the last one out of Vancouver, what did they do for you?

Ours was the last one out of Vancouver, what did they do for you?

I have not booked a cruise yet- will use their offer to book The Sun's Panama Cruise from Seattle on the 19th of April 2018. So far, that cruise has not been opened for booking.

I got my full deposit returned within a couple of days.

I have not booked a cruise yet- will use their offer to book The Sun's Panama Cruise from Seattle on the 19th of April 2018. So far, that cruise has not been opened for booking.

I got my full deposit returned within a couple of days.

what was the "offer" looking today at other options and lines depending on incentives, Thanks!!!

what was the "offer" looking today at other options and lines depending on incentives, Thanks!!!

Basically it said that you could book any cruise from now through April 2019 at the current published fare.

Depending on your cabin type there was a very small OBC given. Not enough to make you excited.

I booked the cruise not because it was an Alaskan (will be going in a few weeks on another Norwegian ship). I was going because of some staff members friends who were scheduled to be on board.

Basically it said that you could book any cruise from now through April 2019 at the current published fare.

Depending on your cabin type there was a very small OBC given. Not enough to make you excited.

I booked the cruise not because it was an Alaskan (will be going in a few weeks on another Norwegian ship). I was going because of some staff members friends who were scheduled to be on board.

great thanks so much!

Except for the Norwegian Press Release of 10 July, making all the Sun's Re-Deployment, I have not seen posted yet any specific cruise information. The Release did say that beginning on Monday 7 May 2018, The Sun would begin cruising to Cuba with an overnight stay and then a port of call stop at Key West before returning to Port Canaveral for the 3 day Bahama cruise.

The Release did say that The Sun would do a 17 day Panama Cruise leaving Seattle, Washington on the 19th of April 2018. I have been checking every day for that cruise to open for bookings.

Thank you. The Sun is my favorite ship. Many fond memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As per another post you will find the touristy things open on August that their best money earning time , its commerce etc that goes into August mode. We live on the Med and it will be hot in August sometimes up to 40c, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit but it's hot . The tourist love it but we stay in with the AC on until around 5pm then cool in the pool. If you are Sun worshippers that great but intensive excursions could take there toll . Hope that helps

Sorry about not posting Itineray. Rome,Florence/Pisa, Cannes, Majorca, Barcelona, Naples and Rome. Changed Dates to Sept. 5 thru 12.

I appreciate all the feedback. looking forward to this Cruise

Glad you changed the dates. August would have been HOT.