Carry on luggage???

blainesterrr

So I usually have FTTF but can't seem to get it this upcoming cruise in September. Wondering if it is okay to put my bags outside the door until the room is ready? I'm sure I can't just put my things in my room.

That is a recipe for problems. Someone might think the bags were missed last night and take them off the ship to where the departing passengers are. Someone might steal the bags. You might not even be able to get past the door guards.

If you don't want to carry the bags around, just check them.

Not negative just honesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree; not honesty but rather hostility! The OP did not say anything about the signs not pertaining to them, they asked a simple question, never once suggesting the rules do not apply to them.

You, like so many others on these boards are quick to judge and fill some kind of void in your life with too much, holier-than-thou, condemnation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first reaction when I read this was "I'd be worried that someone would steal my stuff" but then I realized everyone gets their checked bags dropped in front of the room, but that usually happens much later in the day.

Some well meaning steward might see bags in the hall before checked baggage has started to come aboard and think it was from the previous cruise and send it ashore

That was my first thought as well. Tho I don't like to assume the worst from people sight unseen I did have a ring stolen on one cruise. I just would not risk it bcs we just don't know who may be walking those halls before they're open and I would really hate to see an innocent room steward blamed and possibly fired bcs my unguarded bag disappeared or was broken into. Just obey the signs and policies, that makes it so much more simple and safe for everyone. If you don't want to be bothered to lug your carry ons around until rooms are ready then just don't board the ship quite so early? One or the other, can't have your cake and eat it too ;) :)

Platinum and Diamond cruisers walk right past the signs because their rooms are ready.

As shown in the picture posted by Pops, the sign explicitly says for Diamond, Platinum and FTTF: "Come on in... your stateroom is ready and waiting!" No ambiguity there...

But he does know the answer. He said he has had FTTF so he knows the guidelines. I believe he is just looking for validation to do something that he knows is not right.

I thought the exact same thing... the OP must know as they had FTTF before.

Uh? Person wants to dump their bags in the middle of the hallway, when the crew are trying to clean, and signs are posted. Remember, Carnival is the cruise line of "It's my vacation and I will do what I want" mentality for many. If the poster does not want to carry their bags, than they leave the bags with the porters. Not very hard to understand, but yet, people still think the process isn't for them.

I never said in the middle of the hall way lol! I wanted to drop them off by my door. But I asked a question for feedback perhaps saying "no that's not a good idea it will disrupt the embark process"... or whatever the reason to not do it.

In an effort to provide information without flaming anyone....It has been mentioned about the sign. Here is a sign from some ship that is placed on the closed doors to the hallway, but the ones I have seen on the Freedom are similar (without reference to the Red Sail). The doors will remain closed until all rooms are ready (or, I suppose, 12:30, whichever comes first).

I am sure there are some that will notice that it doesn't say you can't come in and drop off your bags. While I do not believe that gives one the right to do so, I am sure some will argue that "if is not specifically prohibited, it is allowed." (There will even be some that say, "it doesn't say we CAN'T, it just asks us not to!") But, given it doesn't say you can't drop off your bags, you might be a bit more understanding as to why the OP might ask the question.

As for myself, the only reasons I have something in the carry on is because (a) it's too valuable to check; or (b) I couldn't make the trip if it were lost/misplaced (i.e., prescription meds). So, I wouldn't feel comfortable just dropping that bag off in the hall. If I am willing to leave it outside my door, then I can live without it. If I can live without it, I have checked it so I don't have to lug it around.

4c27fb4e9b9b118fc9ec483b80c651b4.jpg

Best answer! I love your "it doesn't say it" quote! Thanks for the thorough answer [emoji182]

But he does know the answer. He said he has had FTTF so he knows the guidelines. I believe he is just looking for validation to do something that he knows is not right.

Read OP's first line.
I read the first line. If he's primarily cruised with FTTF in the past and was always allowed to go straight to his cabin, then cruising without it could easily mean he's not fully aware of the different policies that go along with that.

Uh? Person wants to dump their bags in the middle of the hallway, when the crew are trying to clean, and signs are posted. Remember, Carnival is the cruise line of "It's my vacation and I will do what I want" mentality for many. If the poster does not want to carry their bags, than they leave the bags with the porters. Not very hard to understand, but yet, people still think the process isn't for them.
No, he doesn't want to "dump his bags in the middle of the hallway." If cruisers place their bags outside their doors on the last night for Express Debarkation, is everyone dumping their bags into the hallway? No. Such dramatic exaggerations aren't necessary to make a point. He didn't say he does this, he's asking if he can. There's no indication that this person is one of the infamous "entitled cruisers" so many of you love to gripe about. Besides, aren't you one of the ones who admits you don't cruise Carnival? If so, how would you know what the cruise line is?

Hi Sorry, this does happen to be the forum where daily people are asking "I know it's against the rules but will it be alright to do this little thing". Not surprisingly many chime in "of course, nobody will do anything about it, I do it all the time". It's not negativity, it's disappointment.
None of you know if he wants to break the rules. He's asking if something is allowed. So yes, it is negativity. This does happen to be the forum where everyone who is regularly negative and rude to others are the very ones who accuse everyone else of being negative and rude. Edited by Organized Chaos

I'm sorry to have to touch on this again but y'all have really got under my skin. I feel like I need to start putting a disclaimer saying "I am not trying to break any rules, just asking a simple question"

I don't blame you for being irritated. I've learned that there are way too many moral police on this board - I try to ignore them, but sometimes it's impossible. You asked a very reasonable question - you just rattled the beasts' cages. They are always on the look-out for someone to jump on. Evidently the holier than thou people can't get through their day without preaching at someone so they look at every question as an opportunity to do so.

What we should really do is start asking stupid questions that we know break every rule there is. They'll be so busy spouting off, they won't have time to respond to honest questions.

I'm sorry to have to touch on this again but y'all have really got under my skin. I feel like I need to start putting a disclaimer saying "I am not trying to break any rules, just asking a simple question"

The bags will be in the way of the carts and other equipment the stewards use. They are short-staffed lately as it is. They simply don't need bags and people furthering hindering the ship turnaround, which as you know has to be started and finished within a few hours.

We don't always get FTTF. We also only have one carry on each. Don't stress over it. Don't bring alot of carry on bags. By the time you board and mill around, get a drink, have lunch, people watch, your room will be ready. You can also go after 1pm and not have a lag between boarding and getting to your cabin. Either way, just don't leave your bags in the hallway. Carnival is doing everything they can to prevent people from going in the hallways before they are allowed, and it hits a sour note on this board as many feel the changes taking place have negatively affected them even though they aren't the genesis of the problems that caused it in the first place.

Without FTTF, Platinum, Diamond, you are not allowed to go to your room until the posted time. Also take into account if you were to do this how your luggage in the hall would impede the staff from doing their work to get rooms ready?

Without FTTF, Platinum, Diamond, you are not allowed to go to your room until the posted time. Also take into account if you were to do this how your luggage in the hall would impede the staff from doing their work to get rooms ready?

Thanks! Honestly it's the staff I was more worried about than the rules. I do whatever I can to make someone's job easier, or try not to make it more difficult than it already has to be.

As shown in the picture posted by Pops, the sign explicitly says for Diamond, Platinum and FTTF: "Come on in... your stateroom is ready and waiting!" No ambiguity there...

I know...but in my experience our DNA does not remove us that far from cattle. Mooo. It is very possible for a P or D to open the door, someone not notice the sign and just follow on in. I don't know that it would be my place to question if they were P or D, so I would let it slide in a similar situation. I was just speculating that perhaps some do it because they don't know that they aren't supposed to...

Why is there so much negativity on this board? This board is really starting to be a turn off.

I totally agree. People are just asking. It may be their first cruise.

Life's a whole better when you have a positive attitude and treat people with kindness.

You really think people want to go on a ship with these negative Nancys?

I totally agree. People are just asking. It may be their first cruise.

Life's a whole better when you have a positive attitude and treat people with kindness.

You really think people want to go on a ship with these negative Nancys?

We took our first cruise last year. I spent about a year before that in the old Carnival Funville forums. It wasn't much different there. I was already unsure if a cruise vacation was really for me and to make my doubts worse, after spending a little time in those forums, I remember seeing all the bad attitudes and thinking to myself, what have we gotten ourselves into? This is going to suck. Thankfully, though, the poor demeanor of people on the forum didn't reflect that of the ones on board the ship, for the most part. We've since booked our second one and I'm hoping that hasn't changed.

on our last cruise on the triumph we were directed to Bliss lounge to leave carryon with an attendant and issued a claim check till rooms were ready

Good to know. I frequent the Triumph often.. so I will be asking about this next time if I don't have FTTF. I wonder if they allow this on the Dream!!

In an effort to provide information without flaming anyone....It has been mentioned about the sign. Here is a sign from some ship that is placed on the closed doors to the hallway, but the ones I have seen on the Freedom are similar (without reference to the Red Sail). The doors will remain closed until all rooms are ready (or, I suppose, 12:30, whichever comes first).

I am sure there are some that will notice that it doesn't say you can't come in and drop off your bags. While I do not believe that gives one the right to do so, I am sure some will argue that "if is not specifically prohibited, it is allowed." (There will even be some that say, "it doesn't say we CAN'T, it just asks us not to!") But, given it doesn't say you can't drop off your bags, you might be a bit more understanding as to why the OP might ask the question.

As for myself, the only reasons I have something in the carry on is because (a) it's too valuable to check; or (b) I couldn't make the trip if it were lost/misplaced (i.e., prescription meds). So, I wouldn't feel comfortable just dropping that bag off in the hall. If I am willing to leave it outside my door, then I can live without it. If I can live without it, I have checked it so I don't have to lug it around.

4c27fb4e9b9b118fc9ec483b80c651b4.jpg

THANKS , Pop for some good thought!

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Not necessarily. Until I read the reply I forgot that hallways were closed off. We don't have fttf this trip so wouldn't have been trying to get to our room anyway and even though we've had fttf and our wedding on our last 2 cruises so we obviously knew they existed it's honestly not something that I remembered off hand until reminded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not negative just honesty.

Yeah, snarky honesty. I'm new to cruising and the OP may be new as well. Which means we are still learning cruising etiquette and sometimes we may ask naive questions because we don't know what we don't know.

"If you can't say anything nice (or constructive) don't say anything at all."

Actually, we have gone down that hallway to see if our cabin just happened to be ready. The steward was finishing up & had us set the luggage inside the room where he had already finished. We asked if he was sure it was okay. Of course he said yes - it didn't occur to us that he might just be afraid to say no and risk losing tips (which we would never do anyway). We've also boarded when our cabin was ready, but our travel companions' wasn't, so we put their luggage in our cabin.

In retrospect, that was a few years back and I think the stewards are a lot busier now with more cabins to take care of, so I don't think I would recommend doing that anymore. Even if your cabin happens to be ready, the extra traffic down the hallway is probably annoying to the stewards when they are doing their best to get them all finished.

So, yes, I've done it before, but didn't really stop to think that it could be impacting the stewards' flow of work. Now with more cruises under my belt, I feel like I have a better understanding of why things are done certain ways on board. Plus, if they still have the door propped open, any passers by could conceivably help themselves to your things. I would just go to grab some lunch or a refreshing beverage. I know it's a pain to wheel luggage behind you, but that's the price we pay for carrying on instead of checking.

Looks like there are a lot of Ps and DS out there who don't want other people taking advantage of a privilege they've earned but others haven't.

The thing is, back when they we're earning their status the cabins were open to all at embark, even when they started this, it took a few years before it was really enforced in consistently in any way.

Like most seasoned cruisers we've learned how to pack and wear what we need through the first night, and even though we're Ps, seldom head to the cabin first thing. It much nicer to enter when the whole deck is ready and those first hours is about the only time the pools aren't overcrowded.

We usually hang in the pool till after the cabins open, that's when we have our welcome meal, and then check out the room after that.