Day Four on Journey--First Thoughts

hiccups

We've arrived in Scotland today and just left the ship at 12.30 - the rain was horizontal this morning! Weather has been very good to us till now - cool to dappled sunshine most of the time other than beautiful Dublin which put on a delightful summer day for us; locals having lunch in the parks and the wonderful Riverdance for the Azamazing, in a beautiful grand old theatre - best Azamazing we've been on. Christine, the piano player, was allowed to come too, on the proviso she was back on the first bus, so she could rush up to her keyboard on 5 and join the rest of the band - which of course she did with aplomb - what a pro.

Great cruise

Tony

We've arrived in Scotland today and just left the ship at 12.30 - the rain was horizontal this morning! Weather has been very good to us till now - cool to dappled sunshine most of the time other than beautiful Dublin which put on a delightful summer day for us; locals having lunch in the parks and the wonderful Riverdance for the Azamazing, in a beautiful grand old theatre - best Azamazing we've been on. Christine, the piano player, was allowed to come too, on the proviso she was back on the first bus, so she could rush up to her keyboard on 5 and join the rest of the band - which of course she did with aplomb - what a pro.

Great cruise

Tony

Glad that Dublin delivered.

We've arrived in Scotland today and just left the ship at 12.30 - the rain was horizontal this morning! Weather has been very good to us till now -

Tony

At Stirling Castle today, looking for a colourful local phrase to add to "Scottish Mist", I asked a young clerk what she would call the driving rain.

Her answer: "Summer".

Another, a guide standing outside, assured me that this was the weather that she was sent out to play in whilst at school (recess), or at home when her mother tired of her presence.

I shall blame my mother for my lack of fortitude and stoicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love it!

It is true though we'd be togged up in wellies and our coversuits and put out whatever the weather by my mother in the school holidays.

Hope you can continue to enjoy some beauty and our stoical senses of humour

Headed to Scotland on Friday for three days in St. Andrews and Edinburgh before embarking Journey on Tuesday, sure hope the weather improves. Love "summer" and "Scottish Mist" as terms but would appreciate some sun if possible. But seeing as I live in Texas where the sun almost shines too much and it's 100 degrees, I will take what I can get and enjoy it!

We've arrived in Scotland today and just left the ship at 12.30 - the rain was horizontal this morning! Weather has been very good to us till now - cool to dappled sunshine most of the time other than beautiful Dublin which put on a delightful summer day for us; locals having lunch in the parks and the wonderful Riverdance for the Azamazing, in a beautiful grand old theatre - best Azamazing we've been on.

Agree that the Azamazing Evening was fantastic (at least for me--my husband didn't enjoy it as much as I did). They said the next cruise would be at the ballet.

I filled out the mid-cruise questionnaire and have had two staff members (Clifford, for housekeeping, and someone else for dining, but his name escapes me because he stopped by our table quickly at Windows) speak to me to thank me for my comments. My husband was angry/embarrassed that I had said anything about his sandwiches. He made sure the assistant manager for dining knew *he* wasn't picky and wouldn't have said anything. However, my husband doesn't have any problem telling me that he hasn't found a bartender on board able to make an old fashioned properly (i.e., the way he likes it).

A couple more food observations. I haven't found the bread in the dining room to be worth the calories (which is actually fine with me--I don't need it!), and I was surprised it was just kind of basic. The other night in Windows, though, I saw the variety of breads they had there, and I had a different roll (a salt crescent, I think), and thought it was much better than what they have in the dining room.

I also haven't really liked the desserts aside from the "chocolate pudding" at White Nights, and the sorbets. As I told my husband, I actually have a recipe for something very similar to their pudding called Hot Fudge Cake. The variety of sorbets is great, though. But as with the bread, the absolute last thing I need is extra calories, so I don't mind that the desserts haven't appealed to me.

White Nights was last night, and based on comments on other threads on CC, I went up early to grab a table. But maybe because of the cool, windy evening, there were plenty of empty tables even after the buffet opened.

I do wonder if as Nordski indicated, there are more new staff onboard than usual. I mentioned in my first post about the random piece of seafood mixed in with my chicken at the Patio. The other day, when I arrived back at the ship after Windows had closed for lunch, I picked out a few sandwiches at Mosaic. One was marked "Turkey," and even when I picked it up, I figured based on the look it must be turkey salad because it wasn't "plain old turkey." I took a bite and it was actually tuna salad. Over half the tray of sandwiches was gone, so I can't imagine someone else didn't notice. I let the server know and he replaced the sign. At the snack buffet after the Azamazing Evening, I took a mini quiche from a tray labeled "Vegetarian Quiche," which was next to a tray labeled "Quiche Loraine." It was actually a Quiche Loraine. But I can also chalk that up to maybe a passenger taking a couple, deciding against it, and putting one back in the wrong spot. I hope that was just one random quiche in the wrong place and that no vegetarians got any with bacon.

We are enjoying the cruise; my husband is happy playing golf at all the ports and I've had a nice time sightseeing. It was raining this morning, but we ended up with a beautiful day. And as a nice bonus, there is an Aldi right outside the port gate, and I was able to pick up some inexpensive tea and biscuits to take home. Tea is SO much better here :)

Agree that the Azamazing Evening was fantastic (at least for me--my husband didn't enjoy it as much as I did). They said the next cruise would be at the ballet.

I filled out the mid-cruise questionnaire and have had two staff members (Clifford, for housekeeping, and someone else for dining, but his name escapes me because he stopped by our table quickly at Windows) speak to me to thank me for my comments. My husband was angry/embarrassed that I had said anything about his sandwiches. He made sure the assistant manager for dining knew *he* wasn't picky and wouldn't have said anything. However, my husband doesn't have any problem telling me that he hasn't found a bartender on board able to make an old fashioned properly (i.e., the way he likes it).

Look for Jason in Prime C- he will make anything you like. also Micheal but not sure which bar. both of them make my drinks prefect every time. I drink Cosmos but on the strong side.

A couple more food observations. I haven't found the bread in the dining room to be worth the calories (which is actually fine with me--I don't need it!), and I was surprised it was just kind of basic. The other night in Windows, though, I saw the variety of breads they had there, and I had a different roll (a salt crescent, I think), and thought it was much better than what they have in the dining room.

the best bread is Aqulina's i ask for it when i want bread.

White Nights was last night, and based on comments on other threads on CC, I went up early to grab a table. But maybe because of the cool, windy evening, there were plenty of empty tables even after the buffet opened.

we had it inside last cruise. surprised it was outside. i tend to eat before and then dance.

I do wonder if as Nordski indicated, there are more new staff onboard than usual. I mentioned in my first post about the random piece of seafood mixed in with my chicken at the Patio. The other day, when I arrived back at the ship after Windows had closed for lunch, I picked out a few sandwiches at Mosaic. One was marked "Turkey," and even when I picked it up, I figured based on the look it must be turkey salad because it wasn't "plain old turkey." I took a bite and it was actually tuna salad. Over half the tray of sandwiches was gone, so I can't imagine someone else didn't notice. I let the server know and he replaced the sign.

I had tuna or chicken salad there but not turkey. maybe they had turkey earlier and no one notice the sign. weird!

At the snack buffet after the Azamazing Evening, I took a mini quiche from a tray labeled "Vegetarian Quiche," which was next to a tray labeled "Quiche Loraine." It was actually a Quiche Loraine. But I can also chalk that up to maybe a passenger taking a couple, deciding against it, and putting one back in the wrong spot. I hope that was just one random quiche in the wrong place and that no vegetarians got any with bacon.

I hope the guest did not put it back. once touch should never go back. people are allegeric to pork.

We are enjoying the cruise; my husband is happy playing golf at all the ports and I've had a nice time sightseeing. It was raining this morning, but we ended up with a beautiful day. And as a nice bonus, there is an Aldi right outside the port gate, and I was able to pick up some inexpensive tea and biscuits to take home. Tea is SO much better here :)

enjoy your last days

Look for Jason in Prime C- he will make anything you like. also Micheal but not sure which bar.

Michael's in The Living Room. On the first afternoon, my better-half wanted a spicy drink (not a Bloody Mary). He told us to come back after dinner. That night, and every night after, he had jalapeños waiting to muddle in her vodka or tequila.

Two very valid observations - we call a light shower a Scotch mist....(no that is not an alcoholic drink) :D

Epicurious begs to disagree: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/scotch-mist-200083 :-)

Not saying you won't enjoy the Azamara MDR, but if you loved Luminae then you may set yourself up for disappointment in the larger venue. Maybe the smaller Specialties are a better comparison (the Chef's Tables are excellent). Personally I found Luminae a bit OTT on the service front and not always sincere and the food was good, but not outstanding. Perhaps that is just me.

It's not just you. On Solstice, we found the service to be incredibly slow, I think because they simply didn't have enough chefs in the galley. The food was good, but not outstanding. And I've always enjoyed Discoveries on Quest (on Journey it was an anomaly, but they had just come off the TA, the Captain gave the order to sail with supplies on the dock and they never reprovisioned; and the temporary Executive Chef wasn't good at improvising; this was back in 2007-8). Food was delicious, service was spot on and I'm looking forward to 18 nights onboard in October to continue my research.:D

Epicurious begs to disagree: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/scotch-mist-200083 :-)

It's not just you. On Solstice, we found the service to be incredibly slow, I think because they simply didn't have enough chefs in the galley. The food was good, but not outstanding. And I've always enjoyed Discoveries on Quest (on Journey it was an anomaly, but they had just come off the TA, the Captain gave the order to sail with supplies on the dock and they never reprovisioned; and the temporary Executive Chef wasn't good at improvising; this was back in 2007-8). Food was delicious, service was spot on and I'm looking forward to 18 nights onboard in October to continue my research.:D

Yes! That's the kind of research I like.... will give it my full attention next week!! Cheers! Calum

Yes! That's the kind of research I like.... will give it my full attention next week on Journey. Cheers! Calum

(apologies for duplicate!)

Edited by newbie2013

We had some nice movement on the ship from about 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 this morning.

Therefore, as we head to The Isle of Skye with lots of time in hand, Captain Johannes has made the excellent decision to take a course through an "inside passage" to seek calmer waters and more attractive scenery.

The vistas are brilliant, in some sections much like Norway: isolated towns, sheep farms and forests.

Breathtaking, and perhaps the clearest view we will have of the countryside since the "Scottish Mist" has dissipated.

Well done!

We had some nice movement on the ship from about 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 this morning.

Therefore, as we head to The Isle of Skye with lots of time in hand, Captain Johannes has made the excellent decision to take a course through an "inside passage" to seek calmer waters and more attractive scenery.

The vistas are brilliant, in some sections much like Norway: isolated towns, sheep farms and forests.

Breathtaking, and perhaps the clearest view we will have of the countryside since the "Scottish Mist" has dissipated.

Well done!

Well done and wise move indeed.

Yes I saw on Marine Traffic you had come inside between Mull and the mainland which is some of the most beautiful scenery in Scotland. Glad it has been a lovely day.

I just commented on Chucktown Steve's thread, but thought I'd come back and post my final thoughts on our trip and our first experience on Azamara.

First, we enjoyed the cruise very much. As my husband was playing golf, his experience was a bit different than mine; he felt he got to see a lot of the countryside in his trips to the courses while I first made an effort to see the cities. Of the six courses he played, the only one he disliked was Turnberry. He (and several other golfers on his flight) were given brand-new caddies that my husband doubted had even played the game very long. He also didn't like the course and how it was maintained. I went on a private tour that day with some others from our roll call, and our tour guide said when Trump bought the course, he sacked everyone and brought in his own people. I don't know if that has anything to do with my husband's poor experience or not. The other five courses, he rated as excellent or very good, even if on some days, his golf wasn't :)

My favorite meal was the filet, which they served twice. I would have had it every night! I don't know if they have it on every cruise (I certainly hope so), but the chocolate buffet was something to see, and there I found a few things that appealed to me... not that I needed them!

We felt the included drink package was fine. I'm sure my husband would have preferred a nice Scotch to be included, but with the early morning golf, he said he didn't need to overindulge in alcohol. He was fine with the Beck's beer. He didn't care for most of the included red wines, but on the next-to-last night, he got one he liked. He also liked the Argentinian sauvignon blanc that was recommended by one of the waiters. The waiter made sure to tell him that if it wasn't offered on another night, he could ask if they still had it available.

I did see an improvement in the service I received after completing the mid-cruise survey. For example, I said that I always requested a couple lemon wedges with my water and/or tea, and only received it about half the time. Within about two days of the survey, I never had to make a repeat request for lemon. Also, they were much better about refilling my water. With about three days left in the cruise, the assistant head of housekeeping asked if we wanted to move cabins--I had noticed they had the one about four doors up from us marked as a "showroom," so I assume that was the one they were offering. I thanked him and declined since there wasn't much time left, and I knew I had tours and would be getting up early enough that the docking noise wouldn't be much of an issue. I told him that while good service is important, the hallmark of a good company is the steps it takes to rectify any issues a customer has, and I greatly appreciated the contact I'd received after my survey.

I appreciated the captain's updates about our course, and especially when he avoided some potentially rough waters. He mentioned several passengers had requested updates, so it's nice to know that while I never saw him, he was available.

The Azamazing evening (Riverdance) was great--I hope they repeat it next year!

I did two ship excursions, a hike on Isle of Skye and an Edinburgh city tour with Edinburgh castle. The hike tour was great and an excellent price. We met a couple onboard that did the hike themselves and said they didn't know why anyone would pay for it, but for the $30 PP, my husband and I felt we learned a lot from the guide. Turns out he was quite knowledgeable about my family's clan, so that was fun! The Edinburgh tour was okay; I had OBC to use up and so that seemed the best option. The private tours I took organized by roll call members were better, of course.

As I said in Chucktown Steve's thread, comparing this cruise on Azamara with the cruise we took on Oceania, all things being equal, I prefer Oceania for the food, cabin size (at least on the R ships), and generally, the price (with the included internet, air and O-Life for OBC or shore excursions). But I rate Azamara above the mainstream lines we've sailed (Carnival, RC and HAL). My husband, though, really likes the pizza joint and grill on HAL, and wished Azamara's Patio burgers were as good as what he had on HAL. He had burgers twice and neither time received what he ordered, and felt they were overdone. I had the pizza in the lunch buffet once, and agreed with him that HAL makes a better pizza. To be fair, they make them to order, and that never compares with a buffet.

As we (or really, my husband) are not "show" people, I can't comment much on the entertainment. We enjoyed Anton on the guitar, and the comedian (Mel Meller). And because we aren't show people, I really wish Azamara had better options for in-room entertainment, such as more channels or some free on-demand movies. It was hard to time things to watch the movies they showed each day, and we didn't really want to spend $10 or $12 every night for PPV.

Fellow cruisers were great--I really liked that we could meet someone and almost always run into them again later!

We booked the PerryGolf Iberian Peninsula cruise for 2018, so clearly, we liked the cruise well enough to sale on Azamara again. As so many say on CC, while you can always have a preferred line, itinerary and cost are usually the driving factors, and for this itinerary, Azamara was more than competitive with Oceania, plus, of course, the golf option for my husband. I'm looking forward to taking the knowledge I gained on this cruise to make the next one an even better experience. Which includes NOT booking a forward cabin :)