I am still confused about bringing wine

Peckishpixie

Or the HAL Rep who was telling my TA a certain outside cabin wasn't under the galley, because the deck plan only had "galley" written on the starboard side for Amsterdam ( and the galley certainly wouldn't run the entire beam of the ship!)

Obviously that person (and my TA) had never been on the ship.

I well remember the time a HAL booking rep told me that every balcony on the ship was the same size:eek: I was able to provide some accurate information with regard to that issue!

A little more information on the wine please. I "think" I understand how much we are allowed to take on board and the associated fees. My husband does not drink, but I do drink wine. We are not purchasing a drink package, but we have OBC, which I intend to use for wine. If we purchase a bottle of wine in the MDR and I only drink 1 glass will they store it for me until the next time? On previous cruises (not HAL) the wine has been tagged and kept for me.

A little more information on the wine please. I "think" I understand how much we are allowed to take on board and the associated fees. My husband does not drink, but I do drink wine. We are not purchasing a drink package, but we have OBC, which I intend to use for wine. If we purchase a bottle of wine in the MDR and I only drink 1 glass will they store it for me until the next time? On previous cruises (not HAL) the wine has been tagged and kept for me.

They will tag your bottle for you and hold it OR they will also send it to another dining venue if you provide them with that information (place/dining time).

Yes, it will be the same as you described. The MDR staff did have some trouble locating a partial bottle of ours one night but it was located without too much delay.

... If we purchase a bottle of wine in the MDR and I only drink 1 glass will they store it for me until the next time? On previous cruises (not HAL) the wine has been tagged and kept for me.

Absolutely! If you are in fixed seating, chances are the bottle will get to the table before you do. :D If you are in open seating, your wine steward will retrieve it once he/she has your room number.

Yes. They'll seal it with a VacUVin style seal and tag it for your later consumption. Wine stored in this manner only keeps about two or three days though, so you may want to up your game to a glass and a splash each day.

I should point out that I am not an official HAL representative, but I have been to Seattle. I do, however, have a reasonable amount of experience with wine.

Journey --

You have it exactly right. You can take on 2 bottles "free" (carryon, not checked), for consumption in your stateroom. If you purchase a bottle (in any 'restaurant') they will store, chill if white, and deliver it back to you (in ANY restaurant including I believe the Lido buffet although I have not done this myself).

You can take on more bottles than two, paying corkage just past check-in/security. They will put a sticker on any bottles you pay corkage on, and you may then take them anywhere to drink (and be kept over).

Edit: POA1 said "I should point out that I am not an official HAL representative, but I have been to Seattle. I do, however, have a reasonable amount of experience with wine." You crack me up.

I would take POA1's or kazu's word on anything HAL, over some anonymous HAL rep on the phone.

Hello HAL cruisers. We are new to HAL although have cruised many other lines, our fav is Princess (so far). I get the wine thing but would like to know if we can take bottled water and soda on board as well. I usually buy the soda pkg for myself but read somewhere both DH and myself need to purchase it. He might drink 4-5 a week so not worth it if we both have to purchase. I would be interested in bringing a case on board if it's permitted. Same with bottled water. Can anyone help with this? If different ships have different rules, we will be on Niew Amsterdam in November.

I agree that the HAL KBYG booklet is a great first resource but unfortunately it's sometimes not clear or all encompassing so your suggestion of contacting Ship Services is a great follow up step. Ironically your attachment is not the most recent release of KBYG. That release (for 2017) is available at https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf .

Thank you, cxc362, for updating the KBYG info ... serves to illustrate my point that not all info posted on here is 100% reliable and up-to-date, notwithstanding that the person who posted it was totally well-intentioned.

Thank you, cxc362, for updating the KBYG info ... serves to illustrate my point that not all info posted on here is 100% reliable and up-to-date, notwithstanding that the person who posted it was totally well-intentioned.

No problem! You're welcome!

@ Kate45

Yes if one buys a package both must.

As far as I am aware, you may still take a case of soda and/or water on board -- I have not done it and couldn't find any update either way in the online FAQs -- others on CC have reported "slapping a luggage tag" on the case and checking it with the porters at the curb. I would tape the tag on well, ahead of time, if I were doing this! And tip the porter!

PS if you like Princess, I think you're going to love HAL!

Hello HAL cruisers. We are new to HAL although have cruised many other lines, our fav is Princess (so far). I get the wine thing but would like to know if we can take bottled water and soda on board as well. I usually buy the soda pkg for myself but read somewhere both DH and myself need to purchase it. He might drink 4-5 a week so not worth it if we both have to purchase. I would be interested in bringing a case on board if it's permitted. Same with bottled water. Can anyone help with this? If different ships have different rules, we will be on Niew Amsterdam in November.

According to my memory, you can take unlimited non-alcoholic beverages aboard but they must be in your carry on luggage.

Yes. They'll seal it with a VacUVin style seal and tag it for your later consumption. Wine stored in this manner only keeps about two or three days though, so you may want to up your game to a glass and a splash each day.

I should point out that I am not an official HAL representative, but I have been to Seattle. I do, however, have a reasonable amount of experience with wine.

I would have thought that your bottles would only have the sweet smell of residue left in them ;).

I would have thought that your bottles would only have the sweet smell of residue left in them ;).

We had leftover wine in 2014 from lunch at the Pinnacle Grill. (It was a bottle of the house Cab, Santa Carolina 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon. This, I remember, but I often misplace my keys.)

The wine steward sealed the leftover wine with the rubber vacuum stopper and we finished it with our cheese course at dinner. We don't normally have unfinished wine, but we we do try to pay attention to the wine service. And the food service. Service in general, really.

We had leftover wine in 2014 from lunch at the Pinnacle Grill. (It was a bottle of the house Cab, Santa Carolina 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon. This, I remember, but I often misplace my keys.)

The wine steward sealed the leftover wine with the rubber vacuum stopper and we finished it with our cheese course at dinner. We don't normally have unfinished wine, but we we do try to pay attention to the wine service. And the food service. Service in general, really.

Perfect :'). I would ask what the cheese choices were but afraid you would remember!

Perfect :'). I would ask what the cheese choices were but afraid you would remember!

It helps to do a Live From thread.

Maytag Blue, Brede Nage, Beecher's

Flagship Reserve, Leiden

Also, there were prunes. It was kind of a thing on that sailing.

Like a civil trial, I look at "the preponderance of the evidence". If ship services says one thing and a half dozen regular CC posters have had recent contradictory experience, I'm going to bet on the CC posters. :p

You certainly have the right to choose what to believe. However, if you find yourself in a dispute once on-board, you'll have better luck quoting Ships Services (get it in writing) than you will quoting some anonymous poster on cruise critic. "But, CruisingFromFlorida" on CruiseCritic told me I could do that, isn't going to carry too much weight.

... will they store it for me until the next time?
Yes, OR you can take it with you to your cabin or anywhere else on the ship. Ship Services did not confirm this however, so it may not be true. :evilsmile: Edited by catl331

Journey --

You have it exactly right. You can take on 2 bottles "free" (carryon, not checked), for consumption in your stateroom. If you purchase a bottle (in any 'restaurant') they will store, chill if white, and deliver it back to you (in ANY restaurant including I believe the Lido buffet although I have not done this myself).

The Wine Steward in the Lido brought my bottle when I ate there.

This may be a little off topic, but we booked a back to back, and DW and I took four bottles of wine with us.

When I told the guys why I had four, they checked our paperwork and allowed the four with no corkage charge.

WOW... You are really lucky you did not have anything from Guest Services in writing stating that was not allowable. ;p

Must have been a regular cruise with regular pax.

We were on one cruise where the drink of the day was prune based. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was called. I jokingly referred to it as a prunacolada, but that's not right.

I tried to figure it out later, but no luck.

I did manage to find the Constipolitan. It's a cosmo with prune juice in place of the cranberry.

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/c/constipolitan-11116.html

But, dear sir, you have admitted that you have no knowledge about unfinished bottles of wine! :D