re meat pies

5 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I am in similar boat  Lyle......   I will try.... but if i don't like it.. that's it.......

The one thing I simply would not try is brains.... ( but that is me )

It is all about one it use too.......   another prawn heads   didn't like it..... .

Right Steak and CHips... Pie and Chips...... and Sausage Rolls  ( like Les's new icon )

Cheers Don

Speaking of sausage rolls, I tried these gf ones the other day, not bad, can you believe they are imported from Ireland, the same company also does gf pies, bread, cakes etc.

download.jpg

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

For me prawn heads have to be fried till crispy then they are no different to pork crackling😋

I can understand that one......  but not into  pork crackling.... if one gets it to goes to somebody else..

A bit like crispy bacon.....  why cook it until it is like a rock ???

Don

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

I can understand that one......  but not into  pork crackling.... if one gets it to goes to somebody else..

Don

They aren't really like rocks😄. Maybe crunchy prawn chips is a better analogy. They are actually lighter than pork crackling and just disintigrate in your mouth as you bite into them. I personally love them along with deep fried school prawns.

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

Aaah, Princess crispy bacon, cremated...

1403466151_th(1).jpg.01dc2e2634d670789d87cee8051c816c.jpg

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

In the Marquesas they said the locals use to love eating dog. Apparently you have to raise them on a vegan diet and the meat becomes very sweet. I did try horse in Iceland when we ordered a meat platter and I have to admit it was really nice even with no sauce. 

Iceland must be a country to try strange foods.  I tried whale blubber there on a buffet. 

42 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Iceland must be a country to try strange foods.  I tried whale blubber there on a buffet. 

It must be😄. I did have a whale kebab stick that was lightly grilled, not blubber just meat. Since I like gamey meat I did find it tasty. Also at a tapas restaurant we had cured puffin breast which being a dark poultery was suited to my palate not to mention the curing in native herbs was nice and of course we also tried their infamous Hákarl which I actually didn't mind. Kind of reminded me of blue cheese but in fish form😜.

Edited by ilikeanswers

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It must be😄. I did have a whale kebab stick that was lightly grilled, not blubber just meat. Since I like gamey meat I did find it tasty. Also at a tapas restaurant we had cured puffin breast which being a dark poultery was suited to my palate not to mention the curing in native herbs was nice and of course we also tried their infamous Hákarl which I actually didn't mind. Kind of reminded me of blue cheese but in fish form😜.

Oh I would draw the line at eating puffins!  Haven't heard of Hakari.  Tell me more.  

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Aaah, Princess crispy bacon, cremated...

1403466151_th(1).jpg.01dc2e2634d670789d87cee8051c816c.jpg

Actually Les... that is way the better half likes it.... crispy salmon skin....etc....  well done.... me i am a rare person

So if i get some crispy stuff she has mine.....     this all started way way back    mum loved crispy crunchy things  where as dad... liked non crunchy food........ maybe it is the jeans.....lol

Cheers Don

10 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Actually Les... that is way the better half likes it.... crispy salmon skin....etc....  well done.... me i am a rare person

So if i get some crispy stuff she has mine.....     this all started way way back    mum loved crispy crunchy things  where as dad... liked non crunchy food........ maybe it is the jeans.....lol

Cheers Don

I like any bacon don, American, English, Aussie, baconaholic I am, making a burger tonight, will put bacon on the beef burger of course.

you must like DON bacon?

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I like any bacon don, American cremated..., English, Aussie, baconaholic I am, making a burger tonight, will put bacon on the beef burger of course.

you must like DON bacon?

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I like any bacon don, American, English, Aussie, baconaholic I am, making a burger tonight, will put bacon on the beef burger of course.

you must like DON bacon?

Short cuts.... over easy eggs... maple syrup.... a great princess breakfast

or Short cutus french toast maple syrup.... with a chilled sparkling...

Bacon and Egg Sandwich

is Don is good

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

In Peru dog is often eaten as are guniea pigs. Having been to Peru 3 times when my son lived there for 6 years, I tried guinea pig - of course it tastes like chicken !! As for dog, we were staying a couple of nights in Aguas Calientes - Macchu Picchu, outside the hotel there was a street vendor doing the dog bbq, for locals and tourists who dared. No we did not sample the dog.

On my first trip to Vietnam on business my hosts took me on a trip to Cu Chi tunnels outside of Saigon for sightseeing. I noted a lot of roadside stalls selling among other things, dogs. I asked my host, were the dogs being sold as pets or to eat. He replied matter of factly " whatever you want". I was very cautious to ask what I was eating after that 😮

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

They aren't really like rocks😄. Maybe crunchy prawn chips is a better analogy. They are actually lighter than pork crackling and just disintigrate in your mouth as you bite into them. I personally love them along with deep fried school prawns.

Talk of rocks reminds me of the old bush recipe for galah.

Put galah in a large pot of water with rocks.

boil for 3-4 days.

throw away the galah and eat the rocks.

15 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

boil for 3-4 days.

Rocks     reminders me the first time ever made trifle.... and first time for making custard.....

I missed the bit about heat the milk to almost boiling........    Me  i just keep on added more custard powder

To get it thick.........       pour it in the bowl as it boiled.... and put it in the fridge......

it set like a rock, just like concrete .....lol

Also i believe your recipe works for Carp   as well ....

Cheers Don

52 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

boil for 3-4 days.

The early settlers recipes are mostly roasts though there is a recipe for a Galah broth. Indigenous would rub the meat with natives aromatics and herbs before putting them on the fire. In Kauai they have wild chickens but apparently their flesh is too tough to eat. That recipe would probably suit them😆

53 minutes ago, mr walker said:

On my first trip to Vietnam on business my hosts took me on a trip to Cu Chi tunnels outside of Saigon for sightseeing. I noted a lot of roadside stalls selling among other things, dogs. I asked my host, were the dogs being sold as pets or to eat. He replied matter of factly " whatever you want". I was very cautious to ask what I was eating after that 😮

I would be hesitant to try dog in Asia. It seems the dog meat industry is a bit brutal over there, they don't seem very well treated which would make me wonder if the meat is up to standard. The way our guide in French Polynesia explained how dogs were raised for food was like the equivalent of Wagyu beef, they were trying to make sure it was the best quality possible.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh I would draw the line at eating puffins!  Haven't heard of Hakari.  Tell me more.  

Well Puffins are traditional food of Iceland and the restaurant we ate at was all about showcasing traditional food. Anyway it came part of our degustation package. Hákarl is basically fermented shark meat. It is certainly an acquired taste and the smell is off the chart😁. Most people don't like it but for me I didn't mind it that much. I grew up eating fish sauce which is made from fermented fish so maybe for me the taste wasn't as weird, though Hákarl is not as salty or sour as fish sauce and it has much stronger umami that reminded me of blue cheese.

11 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

This would appear to cover most of the unpalatable food groups.
And Homophobic to boot!

We did try them a few times, with oven chips and garden peas.

671DFDA9-50EF-4C8F-B465-618261BD9221.jpeg

For a moment i thought they were Brains in Sauce

But in fact they are Pork

Herbert Hill Brain
A traditional butcher from Bristol, started making delicious heart warming family meals in 1925. His classic pork ***** recipe & unique West Country sauce soon became a firm family favourite across the land.

they contain

West Country Sauce (62%) contains: Water, Pork Lard, Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Modified Starch, Tomato Puree, Salt, Colour: Caramel (E150c), Yeast Extract, Sugar, Onion Flavour, Spice and Herb Extracts (Celery),

Pork Faggots (38%) contains: Water, Rusk (Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin)), Rehydrated Pork Rind, Pork Liver (15%), Onion, Pork (4%), Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Sage, Spice Extracts, Anticaking Agent (E551), Acidity Regulator (E330)

Well you learn something different on CC....

Don

11 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

This would appear to cover most of the unpalatable food groups.
And Homophobic to boot!

We did try them a few times, with oven chips and garden peas.

671DFDA9-50EF-4C8F-B465-618261BD9221.jpeg

I have had faggots on my trips to uk. Quite tasty. Just think of them as pommy rissoles, similar taste. If you are travelling the west country, i.e.somerset you will find them on pub menus. Wash them down with a pint of scrumpy cider, lubbly jubbly.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're working on it. There isn't a lot of choice in Tea Gardens / Hawks Nest. It's too far to go around to the Nelson Bay area and the ferries only run during the day.

I highly recommend the Tea Gardens Boatshed restaurant we went to yesterday for lunch. Great food and right on the water. There were so many yummy things on their small plates menu so we had a tapas style lunch - oysters, salt and pepper squid, duck spring rolls (awesome), arancini, salad and bread. Plus a superb orange creme brulee for dessert.

We'll try somewhere different for lunch today, or maybe dinner. We're only going to have one meal out a day, otherwise we'll overeat. 

I suppose you are home now, sounds like you enjoyed the break. Now Mr Chimu tells me that there is a new restaurant near you, at the Canopy - Sugerlane.  Up market Asian. Have you tried it?