re meat pies

8 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

They do cook on-site. From their webpage: "we cook and bake our products on the premises".

Thanks, yes I saw that on their site. They got it all, like McDonalds.

th (9).jpg

Edited by NSWP

43 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw those in Woolies yesterday and they were on special too. I wondered if they were worth getting, perhaps I should try them after all🤔

I like them because each pod is 50g, just enough for pre-dinner nibbles for two with other stuff and no wastage. We've only tried one flavour, the black pepper one, so far, but it was very nice. We'll probably have another one tonight.

• Thanks 1

How is this for a custard square? It has to be the biggest (tallest?) custard square I have ever seen. We went to the Boatshed restaurant for lunch, great food! As we were leaving I spotted the custard squares so we bought one for dessert tonight.

20201028_142754.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep posting on your holiday Julie, I'm taking notes for our little get away in December but so far it looks very much like what we planned. Several meals in the suite with a couple of meals at nice restaurants.

We have a few specialty food stores and delis we like. Unfortunately some of the best ones have closed over the last few years. We also like to find specialty food stores and delis when we are on the road. It's looking like a great getaway for you.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Maybe a small packet of crisps, or half a dozen rice crackers with a bit of Bega cheese. I have nobody to impress now.😭

cheese.jpg.98a97bf55c5e3207f04b50441fd2a0ca.jpg

I'll be down in Feb & will bring the Crownies. I will be expecting some Jatz & Bega cheese for Happy Hour!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How is this for a custard square? It has to be the biggest (tallest?) custard square I have ever seen. We went to the Boatshed restaurant for lunch, great food! As we were leaving I spotted the custard squares so we bought one for dessert tonight.

20201028_142754.jpg

Looks delicious - enjoy!  I've never seen a custard square.  They are usually rectangular. 

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Looks delicious - enjoy!  I've never seen a custard square.  They are usually rectangular. 

I am drooling, I will just cut the pastry off and devour the gooey bit.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Well, it looks big enough even for  two. I mean I prefer  my breakfast to be big and full of nutrition. I think I would eat even two of those. I wonder what other things were offered. Usually there is more than that 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Well, it looks big enough even for  two. I mean I prefer  my breakfast to be big and full of nutrition. I think I would eat even two of those. I wonder what other things were offered. Usually there is more than that 

It will be shared beween us. I certainly couldn't eat more than half. 

They had quite a selection of cakes but I can't remember exactly what they had. They did have a special of the most divine orange creme brulee which we shared at lunch.

16 hours ago, Roger88 said:

666895019_th(2).jpg.bb045c956f6ab27f86077b610c21451e.jpgThis is what you need for brekkie, full of nutrition, lubbly jubbly.

43 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Are you dining out at some decent restaurants around Port Stephens? 

We're working on it. There isn't a lot of choice in Tea Gardens / Hawks Nest. It's too far to go around to the Nelson Bay area and the ferries only run during the day.

I highly recommend the Tea Gardens Boatshed restaurant we went to yesterday for lunch. Great food and right on the water. There were so many yummy things on their small plates menu so we had a tapas style lunch - oysters, salt and pepper squid, duck spring rolls (awesome), arancini, salad and bread. Plus a superb orange creme brulee for dessert.

We'll try somewhere different for lunch today, or maybe dinner. We're only going to have one meal out a day, otherwise we'll overeat. 

The custard square was the best I've ever eaten. Normally I'm not a big fan of those as the custard is usually too thick and gluggy, but this custard was light as a feather, slightly fluffy, and a real pleasure to eat. I couldn't have eaten a whole one though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're working on it. There isn't a lot of choice in Tea Gardens / Hawks Nest. It's too far to go around to the Nelson Bay area and the ferries only run during the day.

I highly recommend the Tea Gardens Boatshed restaurant we went to yesterday for lunch. Great food and right on the water. There were so many yummy things on their small plates menu so we had a tapas style lunch - oysters, salt and pepper squid, duck spring rolls (awesome), arancini, salad and bread. Plus a superb orange creme brulee for dessert.

We'll try somewhere different for lunch today, or maybe dinner. We're only going to have one meal out a day, otherwise we'll overeat. 

The Bowling club has lunch specials at their Asian restaurant.

8 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Disappointing to read in the CNN's article, "The world's 50 best foods",  that the mighty pie is not mentioned. Australia sneaks in at number 37 with the mighty chicken parmigiana.

Australians have put their own stamp on chicken parmigiana.

Chicken Parma... should come with chips..... ando the one pictured look pretty ordinary I must say....

One has had some great parmas at pub round the country.... 

Stanley Hotel Tassie does a damn good one... adn washed out with a Wizard Smith Ale...

Cheers Don 

• Like 1