re meat pies

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm trying the duck a l'orange again tonight. I'm going to see if I can improve the sauce with some orange juice and grand marnier. The duck itself was great but the sauce was boring.

Well the Grand Marnier will kick that sauce up a notch, maybe a bit of orange zest too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well the Grand Marnier will kick that sauce up a notch, maybe a bit of orange zest too?

Good idea, and perhaps some orange segments warmed in the sauce.

I've also got a blood orange finishing vinegar in my pantry.

I've even got some home made duck stock in my freezer.

I'll play around with things and see what works.

Duck isn't really my thing but I love to tinker with sauces. Every once in a while I really want spaghetti with meat sauce, of course Lynn can't have tomatoes, so I grab a jar of store bought sauce and add ground beef and a few things to make it what I like. Then I will make a cream sauce and add chicken or shrimp or scallops for Lynn.

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I hope not mate. We've had a good year & here's hoping we can make it thru to the decider next week.

I’m hoping the same for my Rabbits, I hope whoever wins meets the Raiders, thought they were robbed last year.

A friends dad was in the Chocolate soldiers back in 67, so there is a bit of friendly rivalry going on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Duck isn't really my thing but I love to tinker with sauces. Every once in a while I really want spaghetti with meat sauce, of course Lynn can't have tomatoes, so I grab a jar of store bought sauce and add ground beef and a few things to make it what I like. Then I will make a cream sauce and add chicken or shrimp or scallops for Lynn.

I love duck but haven't really learnt how to cook it nicely so this pre-cooked confit duck is a good cheat way to enjoy it. But why do they have to add all sorts of crap into the sauce? It's crazy. It's vaccum-packed and chilled so shouldn't need additives, especially not lurid orange colouring. 

Actually that's not completely true, I can cook duck breast very nicely but not roast or confit. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Funny ... enjoy a sauce.... but only a little bit... so it doesn't overpower what it is on....

The only exceptions are bought BBQ chicken with chilli sauce...... and what we are having tonight.. steak and chips with pepper sauce  ( but it is mainly for the chips )

Cheers Don

Yes, too much sauce can overpower a dish and anything else on the plate. A good sauce should enhance the main ingredient and not intrude on other flavours. I've got some very cute mini sauce boats and often serve extra sauce in those so we can add it as required.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Years ago my wife and I came up with the idea of vegan communion wafers, we pitched it to the local Priest but he didn't like our trade name of "I can't believe it's not Jesus". 

Years ago I read about communion wafers becoming the new diet fad😂

ONe the 

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, too much sauce can overpower a dish and anything else on the plate. A good sauce should enhance the main ingredient and not intrude on other flavours. I've got some very cute mini sauce boats and often serve extra sauce in those so we can add it as required.

OH to dine out again......   I vaguely remember ... i think they're called   Restaurants

You go there to dine and have wine..... and I believe  other people clean up....... 

One day  ...... one has been at home to long....... lol      Don 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

ONe the 

OH to dine out again......   I vaguely remember ... i think they're called   Restaurants

You go there to dine and have wine..... and I believe  other people clean up....... 

One day  ...... one has been at home to long....... lol      Don 

I won't make you envious then don,  telling you what I ate in 3 nights in Young, NSW, this week, OK, Chinese, Italian, Indian. The trifecta.

Cooking a German pork knuckle this evening for dinner with red cabbage and apple, washed down with a bottle of well chilled Jacobs Creek Riesling.  I hope I can get the crackling right, rubbed the oil and salt in already.

Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Years ago I read about communion wafers becoming the new diet fad😂

Gluten free communion wafers are available now, you just contact the church office. True. Yes Uncle Les is a good catholic boy.😇🍷

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I won't make you envious then don,  telling you what I ate in 3 nights in Young, NSW, this week, OK, Chinese, Italian, Indian. The trifecta.

Cooking a German pork knuckle this evening for dinner with red cabbage and apple, washed down with a bottle of well chilled Jacobs Creek Riesling.  I hope I can get the crackling right, rubbed the oil and salt in already.

Lubbly Jubbly.

All I can say is..... good on you Les....

you single handed are keeping the restaurant industry going

Take away fish and chips   ""with a bottle of well chilled Jacobs Creek Riesling ""

is our top treat for now..

Enjoy your dinner Les    Cheers Don

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ve had some meat pies that I wasn’t sure had meat in them.

A bit off topic but...........Our local butcher makes sausages with half meat and half sawdust.....he says in these difficult  times it’s hard to make ..both ends meet.😱

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lubbly Jubbly.

Did you get any fresh cherries at Young?

An interesting variety of cafes at Young. 

Last time I enjoyed a pork knuckle was in Germany.  However, the last time I saw people enjoying pork knuckle was in Hahndorf, SA.

How was the crackling?  I don't remember cracking on port knuckle. 

16 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

A bit off topic but...........Our local butcher makes sausages with half meat and half sawdust.....he says in these difficult  times it’s hard to make ..both ends meet.😱

Was the sawdust off the floor........lol     ( a bit of fibre ) 

it has been eons since have seen a butcher's shop with saw dust on the floor..

Those were the days ...nothing open past 5.30pm and closed saturday at noon and no sundays

Don

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you get any fresh cherries at Young?

An interesting variety of cafes at Young. 

Last time I enjoyed a pork knuckle was in Germany.  However, the last time I saw people enjoying pork knuckle was in Hahndorf, SA.

How was the crackling?  I don't remember cracking on port knuckle. 

Not the cherry season yet in Young, cherry capital of Australia. Another 6 weeks. The cherry industry is in trouble, they normally rely on 1000 back packers to do the picking, those pickers from overseas, i.e, uk, germany, holland, france etc, wont be there. They are relying on Aussies. Good luck.

As for the pork knuckle crackling, dont know yet, only just gone in oven. I eat a lot of pork, chops, knuckles etc.  the crackling should emerge from the rind. Guten abhen mein Frau.

14 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Was the sawdust off the floor........lol     ( a bit of fibre ) 

it has been eons since have seen a butcher's shop with saw dust on the floor..

Those were the days ...nothing open past 5.30pm and closed saturday at noon and no sundays

Don

Memories in England as a school kid i had a saturday job in a butchers, mopping up the blood and sweeping the sawdusted floor was my job, talking about early sixties. On my first day as an initiation, the butchers locked me in the cool room with 50 sheeps heads looking at me, scary for a 13 yr old.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I don't know why vegetarians have a problem eating beef. After all, beef is really only reconstituted grass.

Agree, Vegetarianism is a yuppie fad, for some reason they don't like eating animals. Irriots.

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Agree, Vegetarianism is a yuppie fad, for some reason they don't like eating animals. Irriots.

I don't know if it is a fad any more. The numbers have been growing for ten years, that is a pretty long fad😂. I have to admit I have cut down on my meat intake after I found out how much land is cleared for it. I have always had a soft spot for Aussie wildlife and it would be great not to have any more go extinct.