re meat pies

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

There was a farmers market I once visited with a vegan food stall, they had pies with sietan (a south east Asian fake meat). It wasn't half bad though it was probably the curry style sauce that made it work.

This is something that gets me about vegetarians in general, why , if the vege thing is so great, do they try and make everything taste/look like normal food?

4 hours ago, Russell21 said:

This is something that gets me about vegetarians in general, why , if the vege thing is so great, do they try and make everything taste/look like normal food?

To be fair seitan is a centuries old technique which in Asia is eaten for its own enjoyment. Only in the west is it marketed as fake meat. I think it is a social and cultural thing. It is only in Western countries you have a fake meat industry most other cultures if you serve a vegetarian meal no one bats an eye but in Australia get togethers tend to revolve around BBQ meats or Sunday Roasts so if you're a vegetarian and want to fit in you need a substitute to keep up with traditions🤔

I've had some superb salt and pepper tofu dishes in the past. It works on tofu even better than prawns or squid. 

I also had a matcha and tofu cheesecake once which was amazingly good  and much lighter than a regular cheesecake. 

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

There was a farmers market I once visited with a vegan food stall, they had pies with sietan (a south east Asian fake meat). It wasn't half bad though it was probably the curry style sauce that made it work.

Had lots of vegetarian pies over the years, but a MEAT pie should include some meat surely?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Had lots of vegetarian pies over the years, but a MEAT pie should include some meat surely?

They didn't advertise it as a meat pie, it clearly said seitan but for people who don't know what seitan is describing it as meat pie like is a good way to let people know what to expect😉

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

A lot of meat eaters in Asia eat seitan. It is just not that common in Australia 😁

I think the point the carnivores are trying to point out is that savoury vegetable patty is not and never will be a "Steak" so why call it that.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think the point the carnivores are trying to point out is that savoury vegetable patty is not and never will be a "Steak" so why call it that.

Actually it is not vegetable, it is pure gluten and only in the west they try to turn it into "steaks" . In Asia we usually cut it up and throw it into stir-frys. It really is a western peculiarity to try and make fake meat. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Actually it is not vegetable, it is pure gluten and only in the west they try to turn it into "steaks" . In Asia we usually cut it up and throw it into stir-frys. It really is a western peculiarity to try and make fake meat. 

I never heard of seitan. So it has wheat flour in it?  Aaaaagh Gluten !!🤢No good for Uncle Les.

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I believe you are correct. I think the western world is really caught up in trying to sell stuff that it is not. Everything is overwhelmed with marketing. 

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Do you reckon some shonky Chinese Restaurants in Australia use seitan in lieu of real meat? 🤢

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I never heard of seitan. So it has wheat flour in it?  Aaaaagh Gluten !!🤢No good for Uncle Les.

It is definitely not for the gluten intolerant vegetarian😂. It is made from wheat flour in a process called washing.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Do you reckon some shonky Chinese Restaurants in Australia use seitan in lieu of real meat? 🤢

I doubt it. For one it doesn't really taste like meat no matter how they market it plus in Australia it is more expensive than the cheapest meat in the shop.

Edited by ilikeanswers

36 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Well tonight.... real steak with pepper sauce, chips  and red....  all real....

Cheers Don

I shall be over don, sounds great, will they let me across the Mexican border for your 'real Joe Blake? 

1446862786_trumpwall.jpg.91db6509848483f9bd35b0e41a3692b5.jpg

Edited by NSWP

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

More frightening for Gluten intolerant people.

"Seitan (pronounced “say-tan”) is a vegan meat substitute made entirely out of hydrated gluten, the main protein found in wheat."

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

It seems like pepper sauce is fairly common down under, we rarely get that as an option here.

Sure is Lyle, pepper sauce and also mushroom sauce, I have either of them on my 'cow.'

712576529_donegans2.thumb.jpg.3bf8f6518fce7a762e4bc0eb52d06ec2.jpg

• Like 1

No steak for us tonight. We will be having some Colonel chicken wraps with chips (not fries), washed down with a cold beer as we watch Mic's gladiators (aka raiders) take on the mexican storm in the NRL in Brisvegas.

Planning ahead, tomorrow night it will be overpriced pies with sauce as we watch the beloved panthers take on the rabbitohs at Homebush, again with a couple of beers 🙂

image.png.3818b0a1db6cd8f8e8af1e56ce6d1b51.png