re meat pies

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Down here no freshfood markets, no fruiterer no fishmonger, the supermarkets rule. When I moved here in 2005 we had the fruit and veg shop, fish shop, all gone now. Just like travel agencies.

Drat, its raining again and I have the washing on, drier here we come.

It's not only smaller towns that have gone that way. The main Lane Cove shopping centre used to have two butchers, a greengrocer or two, four delis and a couple of fish shops, plus three supermarkets. Now there is one butcher and three supermarkets. All the rest are long gone.

Luckily Lane Cove West has a great greengrocer, and an excellent butcher so we do most of our fresh food shopping there. The fish and chip shop does sell a limited selection of fresh fish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's not only smaller towns that have gone that way. The main Lane Cove shopping centre used to have two butchers, a greengrocer or two, four delis and a couple of fish shops, plus three supermarkets. Now there is one butcher and three supermarkets. All the rest are long gone.

Luckily Lane Cove West has a great greengrocer, and an excellent butcher so we do most of our fresh food shopping there. The fish and chip shop does sell a limited selection of fresh fish.

Not too many towns or suburbs have real greengrocers these days. You have the population up there to support one.  There are 3 chemists shops down here, all owned by Capital Chemist chain from Canberra, they charge like wounded bulls. Chemist Warehouse put in a DA to Council for a store, the owners of Capital Chemist lobbied against it and won. Rogues.

The supermarkets are out to destroy anything in their march towards domination .Our ones are now selling hot pies, sausages rolls etc ,  and making fresh sandwiches and filled rolls . Morning tea and lunch times can’t near the place for tradie vans .

29 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

just check our chips..... stated made in Australia from 99% Australian ingredients.....

And hear I thought chips were made from potatoes  

Yes fresh fish is dear..... Salmon from supermarket about $29 per kg     from Fish shop $44  per kg

will not even go on about good quality tuna... if you have to ask the piece you can't afford it....lol

Fish and chips  from local shop 

( two large piece for Blue grenadier and small chips ) $16.50

along with a bottle of very chilled jacob's creek riesling $6.50 ( from Dan's )

a basic salad..... and bingo   a great dinner for two  which I don't cook....

Cheers Don

There is nothing like eating fish and chips whilst sitting on the water's edge, esp at sunset.  

That is a good deal.  Aust fish and chips more expensive on the Coast.  Yet they all do very good business.  

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

There is nothing like eating fish and chips whilst sitting on the water's edge, esp at sunset.  

That is a good deal.  Aust fish and chips more expensive on the Coast.  Yet they all do very good business.  

Fish and Chips - takeaway at Bernys @ Batehaven is $10 now, blue grenadier.  Come tourist time it will rocket up to $15, the fish must be charging penalty rates lol.

You can go to a local club down here and get the same fish and chips, with salad and sit down, for $10 lunchtimes and no flies.😁 I might head down the golfie for one of those today, then I don't have to cook dinner.

Edited by NSWP

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is a very popular greengrocer which opens 24 hours and all Public Holidays at Harbour Town.  The greengrocers at a local shopping centre keep failing, then closing down.  However, there is always another one ready to take its place.  I always support them as much as possible (between weekend markets) because shopping centres need greengrocers.  I also support  independent butchers.  We are lucky to have excellent local butchers.  Whilst they now sell ready to heat products, they still sell whatever meat you require.  One even sells veal which I haven't been able to buy for years.

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Fish and Chips - takeaway at Bernys @ Batehaven is $10 now, blue grenadier.  Come tourist time it will rocket up to $15, the fish must be charging penalty rates lol.

You can go to a local club down here and get the same fish and chips, with salad and sit down, for $10 lunchtimes and no flies.😁 I might head down the golfie for one of those today, then I don't have to cook dinner.

There is a fish and chips shop at Burleigh which sells a small piece of fish and chunky chips for $10 takeaway.  The best bargain on the Coast.  We always get take away there when we drive to Burleigh.  

31 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

There is a very popular greengrocer which opens 24 hours and all Public Holidays at Harbour Town.  The greengrocers at a local shopping centre keep failing, then closing down.  However, there is always another one ready to take its place.  I always support them as much as possible (between weekend markets) because shopping centres need greengrocers.  I also support  independent butchers.  We are lucky to have excellent local butchers.  Whilst they now sell ready to heat products, they still sell whatever meat you require.  One even sells veal which I haven't been able to buy for years.

Have not been to Harbour Town for years, it was outlet centre for all types of apparel.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Have not been to Harbour Town for years, it was outlet centre for all types of apparel.

Still popular, esp on a rainy day unsuitable for the beach.  Still is an outlet centre with some good bargains esp before Christmas. 

• Like 1

I seem to be lucky as there are lots of greengrocers and independent butchers where I live, inside the shopping centre and outside. Fish shops we have one that's been around for years and on the weekends the place is packed (under Covid-19 it is a long line outside😄) inside the shopping centre the one that shut recently reopened and while their range is smaller the prices are pretty competitive. 

7 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I seem to be lucky as there are lots of greengrocers and independent butchers where I live, inside the shopping centre and outside. Fish shops we have one that's been around for years and on the weekends the place is packed (under Covid-19 it is a long line outside😄) inside the shopping centre the one that shut recently reopened and while their range is smaller the prices are pretty competitive. 

Metropolitan Sydney has the huge population to support those businesses. The busiest shop down here is Aldi, low prices for the pensioners which is 70% of the population.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Metropolitan Sydney has the huge population to support those businesses. The busiest shop down here is Aldi, low prices for the pensioners which is 70% of the population.

I saw someone mention Lane Cove and I know someone who lives in Rhodes told me greengrocers have disappeared though they still have fish shop and a butcher. So it is not just a regional thing. I can't help thinking if part of it is because of my area's high migrant population🤔. I have noticed I don't see a lot of Anglos shopping at the greengrocers but I see a lot of them at the fruit and veggie section of Woolies even though they are generally more expensive than our greengrocers. Maybe it is a thing of different cultures different shopping habits?

Edited by ilikeanswers

58 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw someone mention Lane Cove and I know someone who lives in Rhodes told me greengrocers have disappeared though they still have fish shop and a butcher. So it is not just a regional thing. I can't help thinking if part of it is because of my area's high migrant population🤔. I have noticed I don't see a lot of Anglos shopping at the greengrocers but I see a lot of them at the fruit and veggie section of Woolies even though they are generally more expensive than our greengrocers. Maybe it is a thing of different cultures different shopping habits?

Or a matter of convenience, Woollies and the like are a one stop shop.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Or a matter of convenience, Woollies and the like are a one stop shop.

I guess that fits in to different shopping habits. I myself don't mind going downstairs for cheaper veggies but then I don't shop much at the major supermarkets at all as there is very little they sell I actually buy. I would say 80% of my shopping is at the greengrocer and the most I buy at the supermarkets is milk, eggs and chocolate😄

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I guess that fits in to different shopping habits. I myself don't mind going downstairs for cheaper veggies but then I don't shop much at the major supermarkets at all as there is very little they sell I actually buy. I would say 80% of my shopping is at the greengrocer and the most I buy at the supermarkets is milk, eggs and chocolate😄

Healthy diet, fruit, veggies, milk, eggs and chocolate. What !! No Watties Baked Beans, frozen peas or Booze? 

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Healthy diet, fruit, veggies, milk, eggs and chocolate. What !! No Watties Baked Beans, frozen peas or Booze? 

😂 Now that you remind yes I do buy frozen peas but I get a few kgs in one shop so it is not part of the weekly shop. I didn't think of booze because my purchases are usually online speciality shops or Dan Murphys which I don't think of as a supermarket😄 and what can I say I like to cook my own beans. In fact one of the supermarket greengrocers sells a lot of varieties of fresh beans so I can go crazy mixing my versions of bean dishes 😜. Best of all they're all Aussie grown beans👍, no confusion there

Must agreed  about the disappearance of butchers and green grocers.... we have spent a lot time in Apollo Bay over the years.. and yes  there is now No Butchers, No Green Grocers... if you want those things it is the supermarket or nothing.....

But at least there is still the Fish Co-Op and the Bakery.... I am wondering how the shops in town are going without all bus loads of asian tourists ?

Cheers Don  

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Must agreed  about the disappearance of butchers and green grocers.... we have spent a lot time in Apollo Bay over the years.. and yes  there is now No Butchers, No Green Grocers... if you want those things it is the supermarket or nothing.....

But at least there is still the Fish Co-Op and the Bakery.... I am wondering how the shops in town are going without all bus loads of asian tourists ?

Cheers Don  

Plenty of those $2 Fantastic noodles available don.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of those $2 Fantastic noodles available don.

We had a young Engineer at work.... when he was at Uni   he lived on 2 minute Noodles for his entrie course

Moral of this is.......    Too many noodles do strange things.....

he reinvented the wheel 3 times ( it still wasn't round )

Oddly never been a fan of noodles.....  tried packet soup with noodles.... but didn't do it for me...

Don

20 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

We had a young Engineer at work.... when he was at Uni   he lived on 2 minute Noodles for his entrie course

Moral of this is.......    Too many noodles do strange things.....

he reinvented the wheel 3 times ( it still wasn't round )

Oddly never been a fan of noodles.....  tried packet soup with noodles.... but didn't do it for me...

Don

I don't mind the Indomie noodles, they're quite nice 🤗

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Aldi is the only supermarket which  has common prices for all its supermarkets, except for fruit and veg.  The other supermarkets charge what the market will bare.  You are lucky if you have an Aldi in a shopping centre, because they keep the prices down in the other two big supermarkets.

We've made it to Tea Gardens, with a stop at Heatherbrae for a pie and coffee for lunch. Very decent pies - nice pastry that held together while eating without being cardboardy, generous filling with tender chunks of beef, just the right amount of delicious gravy. I'd stop there again. The coffee was very nice too. I hadn't seen that brand before.

The apartment is good with a fantastic sheltered balcony.

We're just about to suss out the local Coles.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've made it to Tea Gardens, with a stop at Heatherbrae for a pie and coffee for lunch. Very decent pies - nice pastry that held together while eating without being cardboardy, generous filling with tender chunks of beef, just the right amount of delicious gravy. I'd stop there again. The coffee was very nice too. I hadn't seen that brand before.

The apartment is good with a fantastic sheltered balcony.

We're just about to suss out the local Coles.

Enjoy Julie. Hope you some good weather.

Leigh