re meat pies

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

There must have been Jameson or Bushmills around an Irish establishment.

That is a serious steak. I have requested a New York strip from my butcher a couple times in years past. They have to cut it for you about 32mm thick and it takes some special care to get it grilled just right. Pepper sauce is not that common here but I have liked it when we it was available. I take it that it is quite common in Oz.

Most places that do steak will have a range of sauces, pepper, mushroom, garlic or just gravy are probably the most common also often offered with schnitzel, personally I like a Bernaise.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Most places that do steak will have a range of sauces, pepper, mushroom, garlic or just gravy are probably the most common also often offered with schnitzel, personally I like a Bernaise.

Excellent choice. I also want to try Australian beef un sauced. I have had Aussie Beef here and it doesn't travel well. I look forward trying it fresh.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

There must have been Jameson or Bushmills around an Irish establishment.

That is a serious steak. I have requested a New York strip from my butcher a couple times in years past. They have to cut it for you about 32mm thick and it takes some special care to get it grilled just right. Pepper sauce is not that common here but I have liked it when we it was available. I take it that it is quite common in Oz.

Of course irish whiskey, pepper sauce popular here, but you can have it with no sauces or gravy. If i am still breathing around here in 2022, we will visit donegans down here for a feed, promise.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

Off topic, who likes one of our national dishes - Oysters Kilpatrick I do, lubbly jubbly.  I have to wait for Lyle's reaction to this delectable dish.   For those who don't know, fresh rock oysters in the shell, diced bacon and worcestershire sauce - grilled.

There are seafood pies about that might contain an oyster or two.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Off topic, who likes one of our national dishes - Oysters Kilpatrick I do, lubbly jubbly.  I have to wait for Lyle's reaction to this delectable dish.   For those who don't know, fresh rock oysters in the shell, diced bacon and worcestershire sauce - grilled.

th.jpg

Rob loves oysters served any way! Not me though!

Leigh

• Haha 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I like them when they're done properly but unfortunately too many places drown them in so much worcestershire sauce that you can't actually taste the oyster. I've given up ordering them now. 

True, I have them out now and again, but I also sometimes buy a dozen rock oysters from Woolworths, currently $15 a dozen, then knock up my own Kilpatricks at home, always got bacon and worcestershire sauce in the fridge, although I do prefer the Lancashire Relish, bit thicker and sweeter.

878935821_lancashirerelish.jpg.7bf4333beffb9262f8f88b35670f26eb.jpg

19 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Love my oysters raw and fresh from our local oyster growers.  They do sell Kilpatricks and mornay to takeaway and cook at home.

I am not keen on natural oysters, prefer kilpatrick or mornay.  When I was down at Merimbula a couple of weeks ago, I had dinner at Wheelers, they have a fine restaurant and oyster facility there. Fantastic oysters kilpatrick and fresh fish.  Batemans Bay has a good oyster trade too, Clyde River oysters are very good.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

th.jpg

I do not eat things that come in shells.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I haven't had Abalone or urchins.

Sea Urchin is a creamy umami bomb. I love it but the flavour could be too strong if you like your seafood mild. Abalones are the opposite. They are meaty, quite mild but great flavour soakers. In some ways they are like scallop meat but denser while scallop roe I think has some similarities to urchin in flavour but without the creamy texture. Tasmania is famous for their abalones, not cheap mind you if want to try them be prepared to spend a bit😉

Edited by ilikeanswers

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

Sea Urchin is a creamy umami bomb. I love it but the flavour could be too strong if you like your seafood mild. Abalones are the opposite. They are meaty, quite mild but great flavour soakers. In some ways they are like scallop meat but denser while scallop roe I think has some to urchin in flavour but without the creamy texture. Tasmania is famous for their abalones, not cheap mind you if want to try them be prepared to spend a bit😉

Abalone used to be plentiful here but was over harvested and the fishery has been closed for some time. Rest assured it was very expensive then (That's why I never tried it). I think you can get urchin on sushi here but I think it needs to be a little more posh than the sushi shops I usually go to.😟

Edited by Blackduck59

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Abalone used to be plentiful here but was over harvested and the fishery has been closed for some time. Rest assured it was very expensive then (That's why I never tried it). I thin you can get urchin on sushi here but I think it needs to be a little more posh than the sushi shops I usually go to.😟

That is sad about the abalone in Canada, hopefully they come back. I get my urchin and for a special treats abalone from the fish shop. It certainly is cheaper than getting it at the restaurant though you have to prepare it yourself. Abalone is a little time consuming to prep and while the technique for cracking urchin is fairly easy the spikes are never fun to deal with😳. Guess it shows how much I love my food😆

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Some may remember that the Mallacoota (Vic) abalone processing plant was destroyed by the January bushfires. It is now being rebuilt and will be even bigger than it originally was. 

Leigh

Many illegal abalone divers have been prosecuted down here, unlicenced or over the limits. Shonky asian restaurants in Sydney, Canberra and other places, buy a lot of illegally obtained abalone, real black market.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

th.jpg

Much prefer Mornay, though as kid Fresh off the rocks was to go.

I love tempura oysters although most Australian oysters are too small for that to work properly, even the big Pacifics. Bluff oysters work really well and it's fascinating to compare the change in flavour to raw oysters. If they are cooked correctly the oyster is barely cooked, more just warmed through, and becomes almost creamy.