re meat pies

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It'll be sliced bread or a bun. I haven't decided which but I'm leaning towards the latter ATM.

A bun or roll is much easier to eat I think. Last time I used slices of bread it fell apart while I was eating it.

Leigh

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

A bun or roll is much easier to eat I think. Last time I used slices of bread it fell apart while I was eating it.

Leigh

Agreed, have to be careful how you place the chips on the bread so bits don't fall out while eating.

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I feel deprived.  I've never heard of chips on bread. 

Well next time you get fish and chips make sure you've got some soft white bread, well buttered, and pile on the chips. Sauce is optional. Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Well next time you get fish and chips make sure you've got some soft white bread, well buttered, and pile on the chips. Sauce is optional. Enjoy!

I have had bread with fish and chips in UK and wondered why they gave me bread.  

I had never heard of them until I went to England when I was about 20.  Could get to like them.

The ex (US) and her sister would put chips in their hamburgers.

And there are those places which sell souvlakis and kebabs with chips in them. 

018CE37B-0621-4D00-BECC-371CAB6DF237.jpeg.0ece5f5e02402bc19f925cb59eeae9e1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I had never heard of them until I went to England when I was about 20.  Could get to like them.

If I get chips with a hamburger, I put some chips on the hamburger also.  

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I feel deprived.  I've never heard of chips on bread. 

You are joking, you must have had a sheltered life.  My mother used to send me to the fish and chippery to buy a shillings worth of batter bits, they were the bits that fell off the fish in the oil. Yes we were poor in the 50s and 60s.

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You are joking, you must have had a sheltered life.  My mother used to send me to the fish and chippery to buy a shillings worth of batter bits, they were the bits that fell off the fish in the oil. Yes we were poor in the 50s and 60s.

Haven't heard of batter bits either.  

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Haven't heard of batter bits either.  

In NZ, way back when I was a kid we'd ask for the scraps with our serve of fish and chips. All the kids used to fight over those delicious crunchy morsels. The fish and chip shop was very fair and portioned out the scraps so each kid got some. But you always hoped for the day when you were the only one in the shop so you got all the scraps. 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Docker123 said:

There is a Tex Mex eatery I go to that a does a chips burrito.

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

There is a Tex Mex eatery I go to that a does a chips burrito.

In Darling Harbour Food Court? Went there with my son a couple of months ago, reasonable prices and good tucker, the nachos were huuuge!

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

An English delicacy. In hindsight not healthy eating.

In the 50, my mates and I would call in to the local fishe and chippery on our way to Kahibah Cubs (dib, dib, dib dib). We would ask for "scraps" which were all the odd bits of chips and batter. The owner usually had a pile of it somewhere near the cooking vats which kept it warm and, at the same time, prevented the fat from solidifying - no oil in those days. He would pile the scraps onto newspaper and add some salt for us.Yummo.

Even today I still dig through a pile of chips looking to eat the scrappy bits first.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

In the 50, my mates and I would call in to the local fishe and chippery on our way to Kahibah Cubs (dib, dib, dib dib). We would ask for "scraps" which were all the odd bits of chips and batter. The owner usually had a pile of it somewhere near the cooking vats which kept it warm and, at the same time, prevented the fat from solidifying - no oil in those days. He would pile the scraps onto newspaper and add some salt for us.Yummo.

Even today I still dig through a pile of chips looking to eat the scrappy bits first.

I reckon that news paper print added to the flavour, back then. Love the 'scrappy bits and ye olde batter bits.  

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

The foods I've been missing!  Reminds me of my grandmother telling me she used to enjoy eating bread and dripping.  I tried dripping and it was vile.  ? An acquired taste or maybe different dripping.