ABC news

pamrose228

And what about terrorists running amok through Europe? This board isn't about them, or loose houses in Rockport TX. It's about cruising. There's your perspective.

Amen! So tired of these people who are like "You can't talk about ABC because XYZ is happening".

If you are watching TV this storm is going to be devastating, Cat 4 think Katrina. they are telling the fools that did not evacuate to write their social security number and name on their arm so when they find them they will know who they are. Prayers are out there

I've worked at the morgue before...That sent chills down my spine...I cannot even imagine the mayhem that will ensue.

So they won't return until Tuesday. Food is not an issue since they can restock in Cozumel. What about air travel. What about the next cruise? A 7 nighter is turning into an 11 nighter. Does one have to pay grats for the extra days. Oy vey what a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I imagine some will be cheap and not tender additional gratuities, but I would do so, and I would hope a measurable number would as well.

The airlines are facing disruption and allowing people to reschedule without penalty. The challenge will be finding seats within the next week. Be flexible with routing and willing to split your party up for best results.

Example--I routed through Milwaukee to get from Orlando to LAX because I was willing to take a weird routing after a cancelled flight. I arrived a couple hours later than planned, no big deal. The lady (and I use that term loosely) me was refusing anything other than her original routing and was being told that it would be three days before they could get her to her destination.

Another time my husband and I split up to get the last seats and took separate flights that arrived at our final destination within 90 minutes of each other but within a few hours of when we were to arrive to begin with. People not willing to split up were being told that they couldn't be accommodated for another 24 to 48 hours. Flexibility and patien are key in this situation.

I think calling them stranded is a bit of a stretch. Robinson Caruso was stranded. These people are on a luxury liner with entertainment, unlimited booze food and a dry place to sleep. They are not spinning around in the eye of the hurricane. They are a safe distance away waiting for things to calm down.

I agree with everything you say up to the words luxury liner. Carnival does not offer luxury ships. Never have, and highly unlikely they never will. It's not their business model and that's OK. They have carved out a good market share in their class, and with what I've seen over the past year or two, have learned a lot in managing irregular operations and a customer friendly transparent and professional manner since their poop cruise and the PR disaster that became.

So we have seen part of the after math. Apparently Port Galveston is underwater. What now. 40" of rain predicted for Houston. No one is leaving for days.

If the port was above water, how would the ships get into the port? :confused: Don't the ports dredge to keep the port under water?

Just go to Carnival web it states clearly what their intentions are. No speculations!

The only speculation is will the next cruise turn into a 4 or 5 day or 11 day. Although the web did say those embarking will be pro-rated days missed, etc.

It will be 4-5 day, passengers are already booked for the next week

So we have seen part of the after math. Apparently Port Galveston is underwater. What now. 40" of rain predicted for Houston. No one is leaving for days.

And your source would be? Please, the port area and all except parts of Harborside Drive are passable. We did not sustain a direct hit. It takes wind pushed water, or storm surge and that hasn't happened. Businesses along Seawall Blvd are open. Restaurants are open, the causeway is open both directions.

If the port was above water, how would the ships get into the port? :confused: Don't the ports dredge to keep the port under water?

No. "port" refers to the entire area where the cruise ships dock and load/ unload. "Port" is the dock, street, and buildings that surround the waterway.

The news is reporting that the Port Of Galveston has significant water blocking parts of it.

What about the people in Rockport TX that are about to loose their houses when a Cat 4 hurricane hits. A little perspective please

People are just chatting. Nobody is going nuts. Nobody said they do not care about Rockport, or Houston, or....

So, if a 4 year old in Seattle was out of food and asked Mom to go to the store, should she tell him to think about people in Rockport that do not have any stores to go to?

Just sayin.

No. "port" refers to the entire area where the cruise ships dock and load/ unload. "Port" is the dock, street, and buildings that surround the waterway.

The news is reporting that the Port Of Galveston has significant water blocking parts of it.

The post just prior to yours disagrees with your post. So I looked at some live webcams that Galveston has. There are cars driving alone the streets. The streets are wet, likely because it is raining. But the areas covered by the webcams seem to be fine (other than the wind and rain).

This is the rampant speculation that just causes more upset!

According to a CC poster who lives near Harborside in Galveston, the streets around the port are not under water as of 9:30 CT. None of the parking lots have flooded. And unless Harvey makes a huge U-turn (which granted is possible) the storm surge risk is passed. Yes it will continue to rain, and Galveston MAY flood, but at this time, it is not.

The port of Galveston has even retracted their original statement that the port will be closed until Tuesday, and has said, if the opportunity arises, they will bring in some of the cruise ships tomorrow... IF the opportunity arises. While it means that the cruise ship may sail out mostly empty it seems there's a chance that they will offload passengers and sail out again tomorrow... no one really knows at this time, and speculation is a waste of brain cells.

And that hasn't happened. Harborside Drive between the freeway and 26th had water for an hour and it went down. The Strand, and areas around the cruise terminals is clear.

No. "port" refers to the entire area where the cruise ships dock and load/ unload. "Port" is the dock, street, and buildings that surround the waterway. The news is reporting that the Port Of Galveston has significant water blocking parts of it.
And that hasn't happened. Harborside Drive between the freeway and 26th had water for an hour and it went down. The Strand, and areas around the cruise terminals is clear.

The port has not been cut off from access yet. Broadway to 21st and 19th is wide open.

We were on the Ecstacy when Ike hit Galveston. We were diverted to New Orleans. It was a 4 day cruise that became a 6 day which was good. Except for the grouches that gave the CD Goose trouble. We could get off at New Orleans and get ourselves home or stay on board a couple of more days and return to Houston since the ship couldn't get back to Galveston. We decided to rent a car and drive back to the Dallas area. We lost our car.

And your source would be?
No answer given. It's more exciting to assume devastation instead of moderate hydroplaning.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We were on the Ecstasy when Ike hit Galveston. We were diverted to New Orleans. It was a 4 day cruise that became a 6 day which was good. Except for the grouches that gave the CD Goose trouble. We could get off at New Orleans and get ourselves home or stay on board a couple of more days and return to Houston since the ship couldn't get back to Galveston. We decided to rent a car and drive back to the Dallas area. We lost our car.

Sorry about that! The biggest difference now was the direct hit on the west end of the island. It was ugly, and the remarkably high winds push water and waves right up the bay.

This storm is much different, and the wind has died down to a steady 20 mph with some moderate gusts. The surf has died down some, outbound tide with a low at 2:06pm. Right now you could water ski in the ship channel, it's like glass.

Don't you miss the Ecstasy? We loved Fantasy class ships!

I think calling them stranded is a bit of a stretch. Robinson Caruso was stranded. These people are on a luxury liner with entertainment, unlimited booze food and a dry place to sleep. They are not spinning around in the eye of the hurricane. They are a safe distance away waiting for things to calm down.

Exactly!