Gratuities

Ginny10

To argue your point for not tipping you claim to not tip for poor service.But actually you are just making excuses to not tip the poor workers that have made your vacation so enjoyable. You are a class act.

At least now we know the REAL reason why you are so admant in not tipping. [emoji107] [emoji107]

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Sounds like his idea of giving a tip to you is don't give a tip.

UK D+ member.

Immoral? Really?

"Immoral: not conforming to accepted standards of morality, 'an immoral and un-winable war' synonyms: unethical, bad, morally wrong, wrongful, evil, wicked, foul, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonorable, dishonest, unconscionable, iniquitous, disreputable, corrupt, depraved, vile, villainous, nefarious, base, miscreant"

Clearly, you've gotten a bit carried away with your terminology.

Wow i had to get my dictionary out to understand some of those words.

Yes i agree.

UK D+ member.

This may be considered off topic but just as a one off comment not relevant to whether I agree with autotips or not, nor how much the servers /attendants get paid. Can someone (anyone) explain to me why US/Can cruisers on Princess can have a 3 for free promotion which includes the gratuities and UK cruisers on the same cruise do not have the option and have to pay the gratuities. Does it mean that attendants and servers etc for those passengers on 3 for free promotion dont get paid?

Just like RC free drinks package in the UK they just stick £250 on top of the pre offer price.

UK D+ member.

If one has such financial limitations, why is one cruising?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally we cruise in balcony cabins and JS and yourself in Suites but apparently you can get a cheap price for inside cabins which makes cruising affordable to more people.

UK D+ member.

The post you have commented on was not my original question it was a response. I was under the impression that forums were a platform to ask questions not a platform to apparently ask for abuse. Anyway you're right I am new to here and I won't be asking any questions again. There are a some on here that are genuine and have given good advice in a pleasant manner. The rest of you clearly enjoy arguing and criticising each other.

There is some really good information here, and good answers. I tend to lurk more then ask, but learn a lot from reading.

There are a handful of topics that do bring out some "lively" discussions, you picked on of the most lively unknowingly. Don't let that stop you from asking more questions if you have them.

Ginny,

I completely understand your question, and know that you have the crew's best interest at heart. I'm afraid most of this discussion is now directed at those who say they don't tip, don't believe in tipping, etc.

Ok, think I'm getting sucked into this to much [emoji23]. My genuine concern was pre paying and then feeling guilty about not being able to individually tip larger amounts but I've been re-assured that this won't be the case. This is our first proper cruise, myself and my husband did a mini cruise and was overwhelmed by the the service. This is why we wanted to make sure we were going to do the right thing.

Ok, think I'm getting sucked into this to much [emoji23]. My genuine concern was pre paying and then feeling guilty about not being able to individually tip larger amounts but I've been re-assured that this won't be the case. This is our first proper cruise, myself and my husband did a mini cruise and was overwhelmed by the the service. This is why we wanted to make sure we were going to do the right thing.

You can hit the triangle and as the original poster of this thread, ask that it be locked down since you have already received your answer. That would, hopefully, stop anymore personal attacks like the one that was just thrown at you. You can also hit the triangle on that post to get it delete as it was totally uncalled for.

There is some really good information here, and good answers. I tend to lurk more then ask, but learn a lot from reading.

There are a handful of topics that do bring out some "lively" discussions, you picked on of the most lively unknowingly. Don't let that stop you from asking more questions if you have them.

Definitely think I will look more than ask in future. I just hope someone asks what I want to know [emoji23]

Please be kind and leave ALL auto tips in place on every cabin. Auto tip is split accordingly to all service ppl.

Be kind and tip extra on top of auto tip. You’re affording a cruise, afford to tip where you are simply delighted.

Personally I’ll tip extra for each drink I order($1 per), room steward and assistant($20), my favorite pool bar gets an extra $20, I’m open dining so my auto tip takes care of that(though if one waiter is with us a lot, $20, sommelier does great pairings with each coarse, $20

Definitely think I will look more than ask in future. I just hope someone asks what I want to know [emoji23]

Honestly, I don't think any of the more negative posts were directed at you.

Instead some (like mine) were directed at those who get their jollies by boasting about how they love to destroy the income of hard working employees because they refuse to tip.

There are only 2 solutions. 1) Raise fares to include gratuities (Azamara) or 2) Prohibit any removal of gratuities (which I have been lobbying for for 15+ years in the surveys)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Ginny,

I completely understand your question, and know that you have the crew's best interest at heart. I'm afraid most of this discussion is now directed at those who say they don't tip, don't believe in tipping, etc.

My point exactly,the crew are marvelous and people need to show their appreciation.

UK D+ member.

Ginny and family, please do not take the negative comments as directed at you personally. Unfortunately, tipping tends to bring out many nasty comments. I know that my comments were directed at a specific poster who indicated he did not believe in tipping for any reason.

Many long-time posters try to explain the tipping procedures to newer guests, and quite often those people prefer not to listen to an explanation, or others add negative comments.

All you need to do is pay the suggested gratuities for each member of your family. If it helps think of it as a service charge. Either prepay, so that it is done with; or have it billed daily to your Seapass card.

Other than perhaps a few dollars to room service delivery personnel, or suite/diamond lounge staff for drinks there, which are free, you do not have to tip any extra. Many people do, but that is their choice; if staff receive their standard tips you are fine. Extra tips are your personal choice. What aggravates many CC regulars are the people who blatantly refuse to tip.

Hope you and friends/family enjoy your cruise. Please feel free to ask any questions, any topic, any time.

Ginny and family, please do not take the negative comments as directed at you personally. Unfortunately, tipping tends to bring out many nasty comments. I know that my comments were directed at a specific poster who indicated he did not believe in tipping for any reason.

Many long-time posters try to explain the tipping procedures to newer guests, and quite often those people prefer not to listen to an explanation, or others add negative comments.

All you need to do is pay the suggested gratuities for each member of your family. If it helps think of it as a service charge. Either prepay, so that it is done with; or have it billed daily to your Seapass card.

Other than perhaps a few dollars to room service delivery personnel, or suite/diamond lounge staff for drinks there, which are free, you do not have to tip any extra. Many people do, but that is their choice; if staff receive their standard tips you are fine. Extra tips are your personal choice. What aggravates many CC regulars are the people who blatantly refuse to tip.

Hope you and friends/family enjoy your cruise. Please feel free to ask any questions, any topic, any time.

A well rounded and properly explained answer.

I agree i personally take offense at the people on UK sites where they are proud because they don't tip.

UK D+ member.

Immoral? Really?

"Immoral: not conforming to accepted standards of morality, 'an immoral and un-winable war' synonyms: unethical, bad, morally wrong, wrongful, evil, wicked, foul, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonorable, dishonest, unconscionable, iniquitous, disreputable, corrupt, depraved, vile, villainous, nefarious, base, miscreant"

Clearly, you've gotten a bit carried away with your terminology.

I consider it completely dishonorable to leave tips when I am not happy with the service or when I feel the person/service does not require a tip. I am not sure how the world is a better place when my pride and honor is wounded or attacked because peer pressure and social conventions dictate tipping. I have principles and I will not allow them to be destroyed by doing something I do not believe in doing. I do not question the motives of people who leave tips (even though I abhor the practice), yet I am judged to be a miscreant when I do not tip. That's vile.

The post you have commented on was not my original question it was a response. I was under the impression that forums were a platform to ask questions not a platform to apparently ask for abuse. Anyway you're right I am new to here and I won't be asking any questions again. There are a some on here that are genuine and have given good advice in a pleasant manner. The rest of you clearly enjoy arguing and criticising each other.

It doesn't mater where in the thread you post. When you make a comment about your financial situation you open yourself up to having that comment scrutinized.

Your original post touched on a hot button subject - tipping. Most of the people on Cruise Critic are very pro tipping - the more the better. I will admit I tip, I will admit I sometimes tip more than is suggested, but I will not discuss the amounts, nor will I say if tipping the recommended amount affects my budget or not. Unfortunately you have put yourself in the cross hairs of a lot of current Cruise Critic members.

If you want my advice, tip what you think is fair and keep that to yourself. Otherwise, contact your local fire department and find out where to buy flame proof clothing. Also, keep a fire extinguisher near the computer.

I consider it completely dishonorable to leave tips when I am not happy with the service or when I feel the person/service does not require a tip. I am not sure how the world is a better place when my pride and honor is wounded or attacked because peer pressure and social conventions dictate tipping. I have principles and I will not allow them to be destroyed by doing something I do not believe in doing. I do not question the motives of people who leave tips (even though I abhor the practice), yet I am judged to be a miscreant when I do not tip. That's vile.

I kinda see your point, but removing tips at GS's for say, day 5 bad MDR, impacts your cabin steward as well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Tips are 100% optional - it says so in the contract!

Everybody @ RCI knows tipping is optional - they gamble on the passengers overtipping them.

There is nothing immoral about removing tips they are trying to bully you into tipping by putting auto-tips in place...so you have to make an effort to remove them.

Someone is always stiffing somebody in a capitalist world - in this case it is the cruise industry that is stiffing their employees AND their customers by putting gratuity-system in place to milk the most money from both sides!

RCI is the one profiting from the system....not you nor the employees - thats the way it was desigend!

You have the choice if you play along or not....

If one has such financial limitations, why is one cruising?

^^^^ stop it just stop it we cruise because we like to. Not all of us have an unlimited wallet, if you do good on you but JCOB, stop all the holier than thou nonsense, it is unproductive and makes you look the fool. What anyone tips and what anyone has is certainly not up to you. Cruising has been a value, for families and others, but you continue to tout that it should be an unlimited money cash cow when you want to dress like you're eating at Mcdonalds but want 5 star food.

again what purpose does your snarky comment make??? or was it just the need to be snarky

:confused::confused::confused:

Tips are 100% optional - it says so in the contract!

Everybody @ RCI knows tipping is optional - they gamble on the passengers overtipping them.

There is nothing immoral about removing tips they are trying to bully you into tipping by putting auto-tips in place...so you have to make an effort to remove them.

Someone is always stiffing somebody in a capitalist world - in this case it is the cruise industry that is stiffing their employees AND their customers by putting gratuity-system in place to milk the most money from both sides!

RCI is the one profiting from the system....not you nor the employees - thats the way it was desigend!

You have the choice if you play along or not....

If you want to look at it like that, then every cruise line, restaurant and bar are "stiffing their employees and customers." Tipping exists. That's the way it is. When you choose not to "play along," you are well aware that you do so at the expense of hard working people. The cruise lines could choose to include it in the fare, but that wouldn't change their profit margin. It would just ensure that the employees don't get stiffed.

It doesn't mater where in the thread you post. When you make a comment about your financial situation you open yourself up to having that comment scrutinized.

No actually she gave a reason, not for people to say she was cheap or how she shouldn't cruise.

Your original post touched on a hot button subject - tipping.

Hot?, more like volcanic.

Most of the people on Cruise Critic are very pro tipping - the more the better.

Most think they are the know all and the perfect cruiser, dress down, tip till they drop and tell everyone what perfect cruisers they are after all they are such authorities after so many cruises...

I will admit I tip, I will admit I sometimes tip more than is suggested, but I will not discuss the amounts, nor will I say if tipping the recommended amount affects my budget or not. Unfortunately you have put yourself in the cross hairs of a lot of current Cruise Critic members.

why are there cross hairs???? why can't anyone ask a simple question that requires nothing more than I do or I don't without the masses who are "professional cruisers" coming for blood and creating arguments instead of offering sage advice?

If you want my advice, tip what you think is fair and keep that to yourself.

and THAT is the answer, simple plain and without a lecture of cheating staff, or why are you cruising, or all the other self righteous nonsense that seems to have flooded this board.

Otherwise, contact your local fire department and find out where to buy flame proof clothing.

isn't that just plain sad on a place that is there to be helpful but is to busy patting their backs for being the "perfect cuisers" and telling others how awful they are for not being like them?

Also, keep a fire extinguisher near the computer.

That should never be necessary but apparetly this group have become so clique it is impossible to be civil to new people and for that matter anyone with out grandstanding.:o:o:o:(:(:mad: