Concerned about our Honeymoon on the Escape

mreitz775@gmail.com

The spa was going to be a big, perhaps the biggest, part of our cruise. After all the stress of wedding planning, we were looking forward to spending each day relaxing in the thermal spa together. We will adjust those expectations and it will just be a different sort of honeymoon than what we had originally thought.

Try not to set yourself up for failure by constantly obsessing about sitting in a hot room, then a cold room, then a pool. You're in the Haven, for Lord's sake. That puts you in the Top 1% of the cruisers on the ship.

As many others have been told, if you think it's going to suck, it's going to suck. It won't suck, if you just get past this one issue.

Yes, I know it's a big issue to you. Yes, I believe it could have been handled better. However, it's not the only amenity onboard, so why not look forward to the things you will have and not the one thing you won't?

Hi All.

There's not much to update here. There has been no further communication with NCL. My fiance and I have discussed it at length and we both understand that at this point there is really nothing that we can do to change it, they have our money already and they refuse to refund it or push our date back a week for us (despite me offering to pay more for a more expensive suite), so we might as well accept it and move on.

We are still getting married on October 12th, we still get to spend a night in Miami on October 13th (a first for us), and we still get to enjoy the food, fun, and each others company for a week on the cruise.

The spa was going to be a big, perhaps the biggest, part of our cruise. After all the stress of wedding planning, we were looking forward to spending each day relaxing in the thermal spa together. We will adjust those expectations and it will just be a different sort of honeymoon than what we had originally thought.

That said, we will never spend our money on an NCL cruise again. I know that it sounds dramatic, and I know that there are those of you who disagree with my view on this, but to me, I was sold on a product and then after my money was paid, the product was changed, and then the seller refused to accommodate me for the change. This change was not a minor one, it was the main purpose of booking the honeymoon. If they went back and reviewed the original call when it was booked, it would be clear that the spa was the primary reason we were booking.

The fact that NCL would not make even the slightest attempt to work with me, even when I offered to pay them MORE MONEY, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As a consumer I have the right, perhaps the obligation, to choose not to give my hard earned money to a company that I feel cheated by.

I agree with everything you said, and yes I think NCL could have at least attempted to do a better job at customer service. Keep in mind your still in the Haven. Keep and open mind, your still going to have a great time!

Well I finally got the phone call today regarding my Haven Spa room but I missed it so I'll have to call back tomorrow. In the message they stated that the pool and heated loungers will be available but it will be noisy from construction.

.........it will be noisy from construction.

Gotta say, this doesn't sound like unplanned repair/maintenance at all. The word 'construction' leads one to believe something that was very planned. You hope it was a misuse of the word as this puts an entirely different light on whether money should be refunded or not.

Gotta say, this doesn't sound like unplanned repair/maintenance at all. The word 'construction' leads one to believe something that was very planned. You hope it was a misuse of the word as this puts an entirely different light on things.

I'm leaning more towards misuse of the word.

It's gone from completely closed to partially closed to "open with noise..." in a matter of days.

Maybe someone can get some before/after pictures to see what was done.

Well I finally got the phone call today regarding my Haven Spa room but I missed it so I'll have to call back tomorrow. In the message they stated that the pool and heated loungers will be available but it will be noisy from construction.
What great news. Just pack some earplugs and everything will be good!!

Gotta say, this doesn't sound like unplanned repair/maintenance at all. The word 'construction' leads one to believe something that was very planned. You hope it was a misuse of the word as this puts an entirely different light on whether money should be refunded or not.

For the sake of full disclosure he did start the message with "closed for maintenance" so the rest is up to interpretation.

For the sake of full disclosure he did start the message with "closed for maintenance" so the rest is up to interpretation.

Wow. Now I am wondering if I should go repurchase the pass. The pool was the main attraction to me. Dont mind a little noise. I have my earbuds. I have already received a refund. I might roll the dice since they are still selling the passes.

Well I called back and was offered $400 on board credit for my Haven Spa room. I refused the on board credit as I paid for the stateroom with actual cash, I want an actual refund. The person I was talking to couldn't authorize that so now I wait for someone else to call me back.

Well I called back and was offered $400 on board credit for my Haven Spa room. I refused the on board credit as I paid for the stateroom with actual cash, I want an actual refund. The person I was talking to couldn't authorize that so now I wait for someone else to call me back.

Amazing that they continue to sell the passes. I have made several calls and get a different answer depending on who I speak to.

If they allow this particular guest to "switch weeks" because the Spa is down, what's to stop another guest from wanting to switch weeks because "...the forecast shows that it will rain that week..."?

The difference is why airlines are required to pay for things when there is a maintenance issue but not when there's bad weather.

This is NCL's fault. It's either scheduled maintenance in which case they had no business sellin spa passes or it's an unexpected defect but are still ultimately responsible for and should if truly providing customer service doing something to make up for it. Maybe an OBC in addition to a refund. Something.

NCL did not announce this "scheduled maintenance" until after any opportunity for change or refund had expired. Truly, they still haven't announced it. We booked based on the amenities listed. We understand things break, but that does not appear to be the issue. It is "routine" and therefore, should have been known for quite some time. In fact, they are STILL selling passes.

But really, the biggest issue here is NCL's handling of the situation. They are in a customer service business, and this is nothing like customer service. They are absolutely rude to anyone who calls and on social media. They will not respond to specific questions. Most of us don't go on vacation to be treated so disrespectfully. I'm beyond disappointed in NCL, and with the response I have at this point, will not consider them for my next cruise. Because I 100% would have made a different decision (probably a different week) had this been known to me at booking.

The fact that NCL would not make even the slightest attempt to work with me, even when I offered to pay them MORE MONEY, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As a consumer I have the right, perhaps the obligation, to choose not to give my hard earned money to a company that I feel cheated by.

But really, the biggest issue here is NCL's handling of the situation. They are in a customer service business, and this is nothing like customer service. They are absolutely rude to anyone who calls and on social media. They will not respond to specific questions. Most of us don't go on vacation to be treated so disrespectfully. I'm beyond disappointed in NCL, and with the response I have at this point, will not consider them for my next cruise. Because I 100% would have made a different decision (probably a different week) had this been known to me at booking.

You both are making the right choice for yourselves to no longer give a company your business having felt so misled and mistreated. Please be sure to remember your promise to never book NCL again. People around here have very long memories for those who make such claims.

You both are making the right choice for yourselves to no longer give a company your business having felt so misled and mistreated. Please be sure to remember your promise to never book NCL again. People around here have very long memories for those who make such claims.

No worries, I've already cancelled my May 2018 Mediterranean on NCL, as I don't trust them with 10 days of my European vacation. Further, NCL will have this thread deleted soon, as they've done with the others on this topic. Thanks for the "advice" though.

No worries, I've already cancelled my May 2018 Mediterranean on NCL, as I don't trust them with 10 days of my European vacation. Further, NCL will have this thread deleted soon, as they've done with the others on this topic. Thanks for the "advice" though.
I am disappointed in NCL as well, but I am even more disappointed in CC for deleting that entire last thread when it didn't violate any thread rules. Very disheartening...

I emailed ncl yesterday and asked if I could get a pass to the partially opened thermal suites and they responded that their official response is that for the 10/14/17 Escape sailing the thermal suites will be closed for maintenance. The rest of the spa will be opened as usual.

Edited by Winemaker_ca
Spelling

I emailed ncl yesterday and asked if I could get a pass to the partially opened thermal suites and they responded that their official response is that for the 10/14/17 Escape sailing the thermal suites will be closed for maintenance. The rest of the spa will be opened as usual.

Oh you can still buy the thermal spa pass online this morning. It would be nice if you could use it but NCL really doesnt seem to care that they are selling passes for a service that isnt going to be available.

3. "Cancellations: In the event of strikes, lockouts, civil disturbances, weather or any other reason beyond

its control, or in the interests of the safety and/or comfort of Purchaser or others, Norwegian Cruise Line

may, at its sole discretion, cancel any services provided hereunder and may, but is not obligated to, offer

substitute hotels or services and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to Purchaser by reason of

such cancellation or substitution."

Sorry, but with words like these which cruisers have been agreeing to for decades does anyone really believe they are going to get much relief because a spa is going to be closed?

I would just leave the EU Contract here for your reference and would love to know why we don't deserve better consumer rights.

Individual service changes and deviations from the contractual contents of the travel contract, which become necessary after conclusion of contract and which were brought about contrary to good faith on behalf of Norwegian are permitted so far as the changes and deviations are not considerable and do not impair the overall form of the holiday.The overall form of the holiday is considered impaired if its value or quality as implied by the customary use or the use as stipulated by the contract is made void or to a substantial degree diminished.

Should such service changes make the overall form of the cruise holiday unacceptable to the passenger, Norwegian offers the passenger the right to either change the booking or withdraw from the contract free of charge. Passengers also have the right to request an equivalent alternative Norwegian cruise holiday, provided Norwegian is able to offer such a cruise holiday without additional expenses. Passengers must assert their rights arising from contract changes or cancellations in writing and immediately following Norwegian's declaration of the changes

That's disappointing; I know how nice the thermal suite is for relaxation and rejuvenation. I know it wouldn't fix it, but perhaps you could ask NCL for some OBC, since you paid for something you won't be getting? Then maybe you could use that to do a couple's massage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would hope you don't cruise just to use the spa? You are spending much more than necessary if you are!

I certainly dont cruise just to use the spa but it does have a big impact on the ship I book. NCL knows this, therefore they held back the information until after final payment so that it would not impact bookings/price for this sail date. (my opinion only of course)