Green Light Given for new Mega Ship Cruise Terminal in Brisbane

temani

Great news and not 'Fake news.' !!

Back in March this year, we pulled into the grain terminal on QM2, not a pretty sight. The Poms were not impressed with their first look of Brisvegas.

Just read that work will begin in November on Port of Brisbane's long-awaited mega cruise ship terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Yes!!

That's great to hear!

Unlike the issues with the Sydney location, where some want to kick out a government body, give over public land and expect the taxpayer to subsidise it, this location is no longer needed and limited value - and also very pragmatic for the cruise industry based closer to the airport.

A very sensible decision.

woohoo, means we won't HAVE to fly to Sydney and will have a choice. They say they will be able to remove the smell of the neighbouring sewerage treatment plant - fingers crossed.

I notice in a story that the Tourism Minister says "Queensland in the last 12 months had more cruise ships than any other state in Australia"...surely not.

woohoo, means we won't HAVE to fly to Sydney and will have a choice. They say they will be able to remove the smell of the neighbouring sewerage treatment plant - fingers crossed.

I notice in a story that the Tourism Minister says "Queensland in the last 12 months had more cruise ships than any other state in Australia"...surely not.

It sounds like he is putting 'spin' on the story. Maybe he is counting all cruiseship calls into Queensland ports. :D On the regular Queensland coastal cruises, there are four Queensland port calls (Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas, then Brisbane). A lot of other cruises have a couple of Queensland port calls.

Maybe he is counting all cruiseship calls into Queensland ports. :D On the regular Queensland coastal cruises, there are four Queensland port calls (Airlie Beach, Cairns, Port Douglas, then Brisbane). A lot of other cruises have a couple of Queensland port calls.

Agreed, I'd expect it's true due to that.

The coastal ports in NSW aren't visited very much by cruise ships.

they need public transport from Brisbane too

Agreed. Public transport would be very nice, but I suppose there isn't any to the Grain Terminal. :D I can't see the Council running the CityCat down to the new terminal. It takes cruise ships an hour to get from Portside to the mouth of the river. The ferries travel a bit faster, but it would still take a long time. Add to that the stops and slow travelling all the way to the CBD.... By road, it would only be 10-15 minutes driving time past Portside. The ideal solution might be a shuttle bus to Roma Street Station with a stop in the CBD. And, of course, a shuttle bus from the airport.

Agreed. Public transport would be very nice, but I suppose there isn't any to the Grain Terminal. :D I can't see the Council running the CityCat down to the new terminal. It takes cruise ships an hour to get from Portside to the mouth of the river. The ferries travel a bit faster, but it would still take a long time. Add to that the stops and slow travelling all the way to the CBD.... By road, it would only be 10-15 minutes driving time past Portside. The ideal solution might be a shuttle bus to Roma Street Station with a stop in the CBD. And, of course, a shuttle bus from the airport.

well we'll have to wait and see what they do about public transport because a lot of people will have to travel to get there

I thought they had a train to the airport. You could take that from the City and then the shuttle to the terminal.

That would be an expensive option for two people. The train from Roma Street (close to centre of city) to the airport is expensive ($18pp one way), then to pay for a shuttle on top of that (maybe $29 pp). If you have two or more people travelling, I think it would be cheaper to get a taxi.

I think this move is fantastic and gives the cruise lines a big opportunity to have more year-round ships operating from Oz.

Unlike Sydney, Brisvegas has no internationally significant iconic landmarks for cruise passengers to 'miss out on' by setting up camp at Luggage Point. Some Sydney-siders believe it's more important for the RAN to have exclusive access to these views rather than sharing.

Good onya QLD Govt for making hay while the sun shines on Garden Island NSW.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I think it is a great plan, they do need the river cat route to be extended up river and have a stop near the new terminal. I would think that Portside would still be utilised by the smaller ships as it is now.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Portside was really built as a shopping and residential precinct, on P&O owned land , with the developer giving a nod to cruising.

I think Portside will become a destination in itself . The smaller ships will relish using the new terminal as the savings in fuel and tugs will be substantial. It will also encourage the bigger ships to base themselves in Brisbane full time.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Portside was really built as a shopping and residential precinct, on P&O owned land , with the developer giving a nod to cruising.

I think Portside will become a destination in itself . The smaller ships will relish using the new terminal as the savings in fuel and tugs will be substantial. It will also encourage the bigger ships to base themselves in Brisbane full time.

That is not my understanding.

After a prior cruise ship wharf development fell through, the government approved high density unit development, etc. to attract another cruise wharf developer to develop the current cruise ship wharf, shopping and residential precinct.

I would be surprised if cruise ships which can berth at Portside don't continue to berth there. It is closer to the city and close to airport, ferries, public transport, with lots of motels nearby for passengers to stay pre cruise, if necessary.

Brisbane can become the cruising hub of the South Pacific.

Brisbane has the advantage of being closer to South Pacific, PNG, tropical Queensland and its islands, etc.

After all, the grey nomads already flock to Queensland for the winter months, maybe the cruise lines will catch up by cruising north from Brisbane in the winter. In summer, cruises to Norfolk Island, NZ, Tasmania, etc. would be popular, from Brisbane.