Paying for Excursions w OBC

donaldsc

I know that Azamara has been discussing letting us pay for excursions w OBC before we board. Has that occurred yet. If not, is there any way around the problem so that I can make sure that the excursions I want are not sold out before we board.

DON

There is a work around, but only for cruises in 2017. You book excursions ahead, then when on board cancel and get a refund, then rebook using your OBC. Bonnie has said that Azamara will soon have a system in place to use OBC to pre book excursions, but no-one seems quite sure when it will start other than’soon’.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a work around, but only for cruises in 2017. You book excursions ahead, then when on board cancel and get a refund, then rebook using your OBC. Bonnie has said that Azamara will soon have a system in place to use OBC to pre book excursions, but no-one seems quite sure when it will start other than’soon’.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately with the fluctuation of our Canadian dollar, this is one option I don't want to do as it often comes at a significant cost for us. If you have a USD credit card this definitely sounds like a reasonable option.

Unfortunately with the fluctuation of our Canadian dollar, this is one option I don't want to do as it often comes at a significant cost for us. If you have a USD credit card this definitely sounds like a reasonable option.

We have a USD credit card, however our booking was made in Canadian dollars so we must pay for shore excursions booked prior to boarding in Canadian dollars.

Unfortunately there is no work around for 2017 cruises for people who didn't book in US dollars. In fact this is worse for me as more excursions will be pre-booked by US guests and there will be less availability for booking onboard.

Hopefully Azamara will allow the use of OBC for pre-booking excursions soon.

We are US guests and are not pre-booking with the current work around. Yes, for US guests it is a better deal - but still not a good one. With a large OBC, we would have to pay our credit card bill of almost $2,000 in advance. Wait several months to get the refund and then pay a higher price for the excursion when we rebook onboard. We will just take our chances that there is availability when we board.

Same for UK guests, lost money having to secure a wanted trip that way

When I called a week or two ago, I was told late December or January. I was also told we could do the "work around" for 2018. The first agent I spoke to (I called twice), tried to tell me that the work around option has always been available, which many of us know isn't true.

Liz

I thought I read it will be delayed because the addition of another ship. I hope that I'm wrong.

This has been going on now for much longer than it should. As soon as the workaround was announced for cruises this summer, those of us with cruises in the early part of 2018 asked about the website "fix." Obviously it is a low priority for Azamara. They very quickly revamped the website to include a new ship and new itineraries (and I thought they'd be able to include the OBC fix at the same time.) So we know it can't be because their IT folks can't manage. I was also told a month or two ago by an Azamara phone representative that we could use the workaround for January 2018 and it is apparent that that's what they'd like us all to do. I trusted what the rep said but decided we'd take private excursions instead. I just didn't like the idea of paying up front and then having to hassle with canceling on board and then re-booking at what might be a higher price. And for cruisers outside of the U.S., they have a double whammy of fluctuating currency. I do love Azamara and hope the on board experience is as good as I remember (we haven't been on board for a couple of years) but this issue has certainly soured a lot of people.

mare

As I was reading this thread, I thought back to our river cruise this past May. We were on a 2 week cruise and wanted to see and experience inland Europe to the max. It was soooo easy to book excursions via that cruiseline's website.

We are cruising on the Quest in January. We have $1000 in OBC. The majority of that money will be used for excursions. It makes no sense that the website functionality we want is not there. It makes no sense that I have to involve my credit card. But, there are specific excursions I don't want to miss. The 2017 workaround has not been sanctioned for 2018. I feel trapped.

They have had months! There is no excuse!

As I was reading this thread, I thought back to our river cruise this past May. We were on a 2 week cruise and wanted to see and experience inland Europe to the max. It was soooo easy to book excursions via that cruiseline's website.

We are cruising on the Quest in January. We have $1000 in OBC. The majority of that money will be used for excursions. It makes no sense that the website functionality we want is not there. It makes no sense that I have to involve my credit card. But, there are specific excursions I don't want to miss. The 2017 workaround has not been sanctioned for 2018. I feel trapped.

They have had months! There is no excuse!

If they wanted a "fix", it would have been done. Any really bright college student majoring in computer science could probably develop one. Even better, their sister company Celebrity, has one that's operational and works well. I agree that there is no excuse.

Azamara's corporate office is AZamazing, not in a good way. My cruise is a couple of years out and I assume that they will either develop a fix or not do it purposely. They are better off having people not be able to use all of the OBC they're giving out. I won't be able to use $1,700 unless there's a fix.

I’m fed up I have early 2018 cruises I want to use OBC for and not using the expensive to us Uk guests workaround. I have waited and waited but no joy. No one wants to answer the question when - why not - oh probably because it’s not a good news story.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2557995

To be honest I thought this was nearly solved 28th October unfortunately there has been total radio silence since then which must mean that Bonnie has not heard anything either.

I was hoping this would be sorted when they introduced the new vessel, amazing how quickly they got these details online but are unable to sort this out.

I live in hope but I would have thought Azamara would also prefer to know before boarding how many people are planning to book each excursion.

Rosalyn