Caribbean Cruise Currency Exchange

Keithcheil

I intend taking a small amount of US dollars to start off our cruise on the Azura then exchange Sterling to US dollars as required at the ports we visit using local banks. I may also use a Halifax Clarity card to withdraw cash from ATM's as you get business exchange rate as opposed to holiday rate and there is no charge for withdrawing foreign currency with this card you only pay a small amount of interest if paid off quickly on return from holiday. This is what I normally do when on holiday in Europe and it works well for me, however this is the first time I have been to anywhere where the US dollar is commonly accepted. I understand some of the ports where we dock that the Euro is the preferred currency and I will allow for this. Any views on whether or not this is the best way to cater for our spending whilst in the Caribbean would be appreciated

Local banks on the islands aren't going to give you USD. They will give you local currency, which is probably not a good option.

Not sure about ATM's but I wouldn't chance it.

Your ship may be a good source of USD, but I am sure that they will gouge you over the exchange rate.

Personally, my advice is to obtain more USD before you leave home.

Finally, if you are using your credit card, do not let the merchant convert the price into your native currency for the transaction. Leave it in the local currency and allow the banking system to do the conversion.

I reckon that ATM's will issue the local currency and not USD. You do not want that!

We take USD cash (more than needed as it will do for next time!) and use credit card for larger puchases only when we can confirm that we will be charged in USD.

We've used €€ in Martinique, but haven't yet been to the French side of St Martins, where it's the currency. If you have some €€ already, then you could take them just in case- we sail out and back from Southampton so need them for Madeira/Azores. We usually buy $$ at the Post Office before we go.