Another drinks question

Marronnier

The price of spirits on HAL ships is often posted on this board, but I am unclear as to whether the prices include a 'mixer'. For example if a gin costs $7.95 would a gin and tonic be the same price or would the tonic be charged separately, perhaps putting it over the $9 SBP limit?

The price of spirits on HAL ships is often posted on this board, but I am unclear as to whether the prices include a 'mixer'. For example if a gin costs $7.95 would a gin and tonic be the same price or would the tonic be charged separately, perhaps putting it over the $9 SBP limit?

The mix is included in the cost of your drink, so if for example, gin is $8.95, your gin and tonic is $8.95.

No worries at all :D

$7.95
If you happen to catch the Bloody Mary Bar in the Lido, they'll have an impressive number of fixings, including okra, blue cheese stuffed olives and little shrimp. You can make a breakfast in a glass.

I have just posted all of the menus from the Nieuw Amsterdam in our review on our website. Here is a LINK to those menus. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can get to the website through the link in my signature. I hope they will help answer questions about drink prices.

I have just posted all of the menus from the Nieuw Amsterdam in our review on our website. Here is a LINK to those menus. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can get to the website through the link in my signature. I hope they will help answer questions about drink prices.

Thank you for the updated prices!

The link worked great👍

Denise:)

We ran into a very strange interpretation of the signature beverage package rules on a recent Westerdam cruise. As specified above, a regular Bloody Mary is $7.95. But we always ask for a Bloody Mary with Absolute vodka. The waiter said it will cost an extra .50 cents for the "call brand". We said OK, no problem, because that raises the price to $8.45, which is still under the $9 limit. We were also told that by ordering a "call brand" that drink would count as 2 of our 15 drinks for the day. We objected to this, and we were referred to the bar supervisor, and finally the beverage manager. They all agreed that any call brands in a mixed drink counts as 2 drinks of your 15 drink allotment. We have never heard of this before, and there is nothing in the fine print description of the SBP that addresses "call brand" drinks. I asked the beverage manager that if we ordered a shot of Absolute vodka, with a splash of Bloody Mary mix, would it be considered one drink ? The answer was yes. But if we ordered a mixed drink, and specified a call brand alcohol, then it counts as 2 drinks.

Absolutely crazy. I sent a message to HAL Seattle about this weird policy and received no answer as of today. The beverage manager admitted that it sounds a little strange, but he blamed the problem on the computer system. If you order a call brand, it is added to the drink ticket as a second beverage in addition to the main mixed drink you ordered. That is why it counts as 2 drinks even though you are only getting one shot of alcohol. We never approached the 15 drink limit, but it's hard to tell anymore, because they do not give you receipts unless you request them. Here is another example of the ships and Seattle not communicating on policies.

If you happen to catch the Bloody Mary Bar in the Lido, they'll have an impressive number of fixings, including okra, blue cheese stuffed olives and little shrimp. You can make a breakfast in a glass.

Love the bacon flavored salted rim glasses on the ones served in the MDR! ;):)

The Bloody Mary is actually $8.25..

It must vary by cruise? We had a deal in the mornings and it was the drink of the day until around 11:00 AM if I recall correctly. My memory may be short but quite sure it and mimosas were $5.95 and $6.95. I may have to go back and look.

Definitely later in the day, they were a higher price ;)

It must vary by cruise? We had a deal in the mornings and it was the drink of the day until around 11:00 AM if I recall correctly. My memory may be short but quite sure it and mimosas were $5.95 and $6.95. I may have to go back and look.

Definitely later in the day, they were a higher price ;)

I had one on our recent Oosterdam cruise in the MDR at breakfast and it was $8.25. It's possible that it varies by cruise, but I've seen it listed as $8.25 ('Signature Bloody Mary') on recent Roger Jett drink menu postings.

Thanks for the link. The beverage package might be the way to go even if you don't hit the 15 drink a day . I'm guessing cost average kicks in a bit below that number.

Thanks for the link. The beverage package might be the way to go even if you don't hit the 15 drink a day . I'm guessing cost average kicks in a bit below that number.

The break even point is way below 15 drinks. That 15 drink limit is the one thing people quote as the reason why they would never get any value out of the SBP. The usual quote is "I'll never consume 15 drinks a day". Do the math. $44.95 per day plus 15% service charge = $51.70, which is the cost of the SBP purchased online or the value of it if you get the SBP through Explore-4. With the average mixed drink price around $8.25, the break-even point per-day is 5.4 drinks. After that, you are drinking free. A typical $8.25 drink, purchased without the beverage package will cost you $9.50 with the service charge. Divide $9;50 into $51.70 and you get 5.4 drinks. Naturally, beers and other beverages are less than $8,25. The only way I have seen people hit the 15 drink limit is by drinking doubles. Yes, you can order a double of anything, and they will be happy to serve it, and it is covered by the SBP. It just uses up 2 of your 15 drink allotment. Specialty coffees, sodas, beers, bottled water, wines by the glass, are all covered. But nothing from the mini-bar in your cabin, including the 2 bottles of water placed in your room. Also not covered, bottles of water at the gangway, cocktails delivered by room service, and drinks on HMC.

Another alternative is to order an entire bottle of Absolut (or several) and have it waiting for you in your room on arrival for $43.75 (less than the daily SBP price) and you can bring on any non alcoholic mixers that you like. Slight inconvenience of having to go back to your room but if you plan ahead and bring an extra large "water bottle" to carry to Lido deck very do-able!

Another alternative is to order an entire bottle of Absolut (or several) and have it waiting for you in your room on arrival for $43.75 (less than the daily SBP price) and you can bring on any non alcoholic mixers that you like. Slight inconvenience of having to go back to your room but if you plan ahead and bring an extra large "water bottle" to carry to Lido deck very do-able!

For the $51.70 daily cost of the SBP, I can have 15 drinks with Absolute vodka. You want me to run, maybe 900 feet each way, back to my room, mix a drink, hope there's still un-melted ice there, every time I want a new drink ? That is FAR from a "slight inconvenience", that's insanity to save a few bucks..

The SBP just doesn't work for me for 2 reasons: 1- they require both parties in cabin to sign up and my travel buddy MIGHT have 2 max if its a really crazy day and 2- I'm a snob. In addition to getting vodka for the room, I bring about 9 bottles of my preferred wines from home. Even after corkage added on, they are still half the cost of the mid-quality options on the ship and twice as enjoyable. So that's what I'm drinking at dinner.

I'm not running back to the room for every drink, I make a large one in an insulated cup that I bring from home to take to the pool in the afternoon and have one in the room while getting ready for dinner. I also chat up my cabin steward on the first day and let him know how appreciative I am for the constant replenishment of ice :) Then after dinner if I decide to freshen up I might make one more but I do end up ordering a couple from the bar over the course of the day.

This is FABULOUS! A big Thank you.

We ran into a very strange interpretation of the signature beverage package rules on a recent Westerdam cruise. As specified above, a regular Bloody Mary is $7.95. But we always ask for a Bloody Mary with Absolute vodka. The waiter said it will cost an extra .50 cents for the "call brand". We said OK, no problem, because that raises the price to $8.45, which is still under the $9 limit. We were also told that by ordering a "call brand" that drink would count as 2 of our 15 drinks for the day. We objected to this, and we were referred to the bar supervisor, and finally the beverage manager. They all agreed that any call brands in a mixed drink counts as 2 drinks of your 15 drink allotment. We have never heard of this before, and there is nothing in the fine print description of the SBP that addresses "call brand" drinks. I asked the beverage manager that if we ordered a shot of Absolute vodka, with a splash of Bloody Mary mix, would it be considered one drink ? The answer was yes. But if we ordered a mixed drink, and specified a call brand alcohol, then it counts as 2 drinks.

Absolutely crazy. I sent a message to HAL Seattle about this weird policy and received no answer as of today. The beverage manager admitted that it sounds a little strange, but he blamed the problem on the computer system. If you order a call brand, it is added to the drink ticket as a second beverage in addition to the main mixed drink you ordered. That is why it counts as 2 drinks even though you are only getting one shot of alcohol. We never approached the 15 drink limit, but it's hard to tell anymore, because they do not give you receipts unless you request them. Here is another example of the ships and Seattle not communicating on policies.

I was about to pose the question about the call $0.50 and premium $1 upcharge but remaining at $9 or less. Counting it as two drinks is cheating the customer since it is not a double. That would also take away one of the advantages of upgrading to the elite beverage package if any drink made with a liquor other than the house generic liquor is tallied as two drinks vs. one. Let us know if HAL responds to you.