From Onboard Explorer

I too am really enjoying your ‘honest’ reports about this lovely ship. We enjoyed our recent first trip immensely, but no ship is perfect, and it is nice to hear different perspectives. Most of us are well travelled and well able to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of each cruise ship we experience.

Enjoyed a terrific show tonight with a great headliner. Preceded by a dinner in CR with great company and good food. Loving the new menu—had the escargot as my main course because it is so rich and delicious. Trying to find something negative to say just to live up to my odd new rep, but just can’t, Great sea day and evening!

A great day in lovely Punte Delgada on the Azores island of Sao Miguel. The island is lush and green, with stunning vistas. It’s one of those “don’t like the weather? Wait 5 minutes” kind of places. If it’s raining (which it often is—that’s how it got that green), that’s OK because 5 minutes later it will be sunny.

We took the “Off the Beaten Track” excursion, which took us up high in the hills to see hot springs, waterfalls, and great vistas. A word of advice to anyone taking this (or any other 4X4) excursion: try to be among the first out, so you can get a forward-facing seat in the front or middle of the truck. We had the rear benches, which provided awkward seating and limited what we could see during the drive. Obviously, others knew about this, since some were shoving us out of the way to get up ahead. I don’t think I’d ever do that, but I would try to get out a bit early. Nevertheless, it was a great excursion.

We are now back on the ship, ready to sail for Horta, and our last port before 4 sea days to get to Bermuda.

Hi

Will be joining you in Lisbon to Miami. Last year we were in a similar suite. We had the whistling door also. Try really slamming it shut before locking. It worked for us. I thought they corrected that problem.

See you soon!

Sheila

Sheila I see that you are from New Jersey and Florida by chance would that be Marco Island Fl.?

Here we are in Horta, and here I am in the library, looking at the rain pouring onto this very pretty town. I had been booked on the morning excursion to the volcano (I have a bit of an obsession with volcanoes), but decided to switch to the afternoon one in hopes of, if not better weather, at least the volcano not being socked in with fog. That’s not looking too promising.

Last night was drinks in the Meridian lounge, dinner at Prime 7, and the show. We will be switching to the Observation lounge for pre-dinner cocktails, as the Meridian now has a full band playing there, amplified to a level that prevents conversation. Great for those who like to dance—it’s good dance music and a substantial dance floor—but not so great for socializing. The O lounge has a pianist providing nice background music. (And the Explorer Lounge has Boogie and Kasia, lately minus Kasia, who apparently has been under the weather).

Dinner in Prime 7 was good. The steak tartare is delicious. The filet was nice, and done to the right level of rare. A table mate’s lamb chops were delivered more medium than rare, and that error was quickly corrected.

The show was “Around the World” featuring the new troupe that just got on in Lisbon. This was their second show, the first having been the Broadway production. The Broadway show had suffered from the band drowning out the singers (or at least that’s how it came off to me and others sitting in the back on the lower level). Last night’s show had recorded music (or at least I assume so, as there was no visible band). It was still too loud in relation to the singers’ volume, but much better than the previous show. But then, I was sitting toward the front and stage right this time, which may have made a difference.

But even with the too-loud accompaniment, I have to say that this was probably the best troupe show I’ve seen on a cruise ship. Staging, dancing, singing, musical selections, costumes, and sets were all terrific. The singers harmonize well, and the dancers are great.

Sheila I see that you are from New Jersey and Florida by chance would that be Marco Island Fl.?

No - we are east coast - Palm Beach county. Bellaggio is the name of our community.

Additionally,

1- our tours have been delightful so far:

Madeira- did the bus tour to Santana with a fish Portuguese lunch. Lovely day.

Azores-San Miguel- Porta Delgada - we did a 4X4 jeep tour. We loved the island. Great driver, guide. Even had tea in a tea plantation. Weather was not great.

Azores- Horta- Faia - rained the whole tour. Again 4X4 jeep. Great guide. Magnificent views even in the rain. Loved this island. Like paradise.

Food - as expected- wonderful

Shows - better than last year's crossing on the Explorer.

What else can I say the other posters are saying it all for me.

Sheila

No - we are east coast - Palm Beach county. Bellaggio is the name of our community.

Additionally,

1- our tours have been delightful so far:

Madeira- did the bus tour to Santana with a fish Portuguese lunch. Lovely day.

Azores-San Miguel- Porta Delgada - we did a 4X4 jeep tour. We loved the island. Great driver, guide. Even had tea in a tea plantation. Weather was not great.

Azores- Horta- Faia - rained the whole tour. Again 4X4 jeep. Great guide. Magnificent views even in the rain. Loved this island. Like paradise.

Food - as expected- wonderful

Shows - better than last year's crossing on the Explorer.

What else can I say the other posters are saying it all for me.

Sheila

Sheila - I think that the excursion that you did in Madeira was the one we did last March. Did they have black scabbard fish on the menu? It is the ugliest fish that I've ever seen but was quite tasty.

Glad that you and Herb are enjoying the cruise.

I am surprised to hear that the music levels in the Meridien Lounge are too loud (assuming this is before dinner). On two of our Explorer cruises this was the case in the Explorer Lounge. John Barron indicated that they had the issue solved.

Continue to enjoy every day!

Jackie

Sheila - I think that the excursion that you did in Madeira was the one we did last March. Did they have black scabbard fish on the menu? It is the ugliest fish that I've ever seen but was quite tasty.

Glad that you and Herb are enjoying the cruise.

I am surprised to hear that the music levels in the Meridien Lounge are too loud (assuming this is before dinner). On two of our Explorer cruises this was the case in the Explorer Lounge. John Barron indicated that they had the issue solved.

Continue to enjoy every day!

Jackie

Hope you are enjoying the Amazon.

I don't remember the type of fish we had. It was ok. Nothing special.

First time visiting the Azores. Although the weather was not cooperative, the islands were so beautiful. We really enjoyed our 4X4 jeep tours.

We are not frequenters of the lounges. We enjoy a leisurely dinner and usually off to the show. So we have no comments.

Some rough sailing predicted. So far, nothing severe. I agree there is a lot of "creaking" but it really doesn't bother us. So far, the Explorer is sailing fine.

Having a great time.

Sheila

Yesterday was our first official sea day. The seas started getting rough around 5:00 am, and stayed so through the day and last night. We are still rocking and rolling, but not quite so much. However, because my only other Atlantic crossing was on the Navigator, this does not seem as wild. But it is definitely noticeable.

We did the fish-cooking class in the morning yesterday. The Culinary kitchen is a magnificent set-up, and the class great fun. I learned several good pointers. It truly is a hands-on course, where you watch the chef as she prepares and explains, and then go back to your station to do it yourself. However, you don’t have to do any measuring, chopping, or cleaning—it’s all laid out for you. You just cook it. Or, in the case of the salad rolls, roll it.

Beth went to a wine-tasting in the early afternoon, then both of us to a couple of hours on social media. I finally learned a technique on facebook that had long eluded me.

Dinner at CR, The Indian vegetable patty appetizer was a disappointment—surprisingly bland—but the lamb chops were perfection. The show was a magician/comedian who was amusing. He engaged audience participation, and got a bit of a surprise from one audience member response. Let’s just say that the cruise director was relieved that the two children in the audience don’t understand English. Though I’d bet they know that word.

Wish,

"The show was a magician/comedian who was amusing. "

Was that magician/comedian your Assistant Cruise Director John Ekin? John was our ACD on O's Marina in August. A very funny and very nice man. If it was John, would you please tell him Mike and Sandy from Two Under Par said 'Hello'?

We had hoped to see him again on Marina on the T/A starting Sunday, but found he had transferred to Explorer.

Thanks!!!!

Missed the show last night because we closed CR—long, leisurely dinner with good company and my favorite meal: escargot and Dover sole.

One of my favorite desserts on Regent is the cinnamon ice cream, but I hadn’t seen it on this ship, so asked Daniela if it was going to appear. She said there were no plans for it, but she would make sure we got some. Sure enough, they made up a small batch for us the other night. It wasn’t the same recipe as I remembered—it was even better! This is the kind of thing that impresses.

I'm so enjoying posts from the Explorer. I'm reliving lasts years cross on Explorer.

Enjoy your sea days and, if you are not in a suite in the front of the ship on one of the higher decks, smile because you have no idea how the rough seas feel in those front suites:halo:

Keep the posts coming!

Our cruise is in the wind-down stage as we are finishing our overnight stay in Bermuda. We’ve been docked at the Navy Boat Yard, which is the old British fort and boatyard that has been repurposed as a receiving area for cruise ships. Last time I was in Bermuda on a cruise ship was in 2004 on the Navigator when we docked in Hamilton. I get why Bermuda wants to isolate the flow of cruise passengers to this small area, but it really is cut off from island life.

You can take a bus or ferry to elsewhere on the island, or take an excursion that takes you elsewhere. I opted for a walking tour and a boat tour (because I just haven’t been spending enough time on a boat:) ). Both were pleasant and informative, with witty guides. I guess I just got lazy and didn’t take the initiative to venture further.

One advantage of an overnight is the ability to go into town in the evening. However, here at the boatyard there is no town. One would have had to take a taxi or ferry to somewhere else on the island and, well, there’s that laziness again.

Last night we had a fabulous dinner with a pair of wonderful new friends. It was a special order—a 3-course Filipino meal, for which a favorite waiter, Rommel, helped us make the selections. My cabin-mate had some OBCs to spare, so ordered a special wine to go with it, with the assistance of sommelier Nixon. I love that we can do these special orders, and that the galley produces such a delicious feast. (We had ordered a Filipino meal on Crystal last year, and they tried valiantly, but it just wasn’t that good. I can’t help but think that the fact that a lot of Regent crew is Filipino has a lot to do with the difference).

The show featured Peggy Lee songs. Not my favorite style of music, but the songs nicely showcased the singers’ voices. And the dancing! Oh my. This dance troupe is superb. Also, kudos to the costumes, particularly the women’s. The 1940s/1950s style women’s clothes are beautiful.

We ended the evening in the Explorer Lounge—not our usual nighttime venue—and enjoyed Boogie and Kasia’s show. Boogie is quite talented, and Kasia really knows how to enliven a room.

Two more sea days, then we are booted off. I keep hiding those hideous debarkation tags, but they keep turning back up. If you see someone being dragged off the ship in Miami kicking and screaming, that will be me.

Last night we had a fabulous dinner with a pair of wonderful new friends. It was a special order—a 3-course Filipino meal, for which a favorite waiter, Rommel, helped us make the selections. My cabin-mate had some OBCs to spare, so ordered a special wine to go with it, with the assistance of sommelier Nixon. I love that we can do these special orders, and that the galley produces such a delicious feast. (We had ordered a Filipino meal on Crystal last year, and they tried valiantly, but it just wasn’t that good. I can’t help but think that the fact that a lot of Regent crew is Filipino has a lot to do with the difference).

WIWT: Wow! Two things in your last post jumped out at me - one, we agree that Rommel is a fantastic waiter - we had him several times on our last two Explorer cruises. Glad you got to meet him - he's a gem.

But two - Nixon?!? If you have time, can you see if he's the same Nixon (there can't be too many of them) that we sailed with on our first Navigator cruise back in 2009? I'll see if I can dig up a photo of him from the old archives - he was one of our favorite crew members of all time - no, probably our favorite, period. Great personality, fun, always happy, and just a heckuva nice guy. We've asked about him on every cruise since that first one and no one had any info about him - I wasn't even sure he was still with Regent. I'll follow up with a photo - if you wouldn't mind seeing if this looks like him from 8 years ago, I'd sure appreciate it. And if you have a chance, tell him Annemarie and Mister Bill say "Hello!" (not that he'd remember us, but you never know...he and I spent a LOT of time chatting in the Connoisseur Club).

Thanks!!