Room Service Fee

mjtrike97

Yea it's ashame that basically all of the lines are charging now unless you're in a suite...

I miss the good ol' days of free room service, captains parties, midnight buffet's, chocolate on the pillows...

I would rather have the way it is now personally. If they didn't charge, they would be raising the rates for everybody to make up the lost revenue. The good ol' days you pine for can still be had on more inclusive lines, but you will pay much more for it. Even with the increased costs now a days, it is still a much better value than it was in the good ol' days imo.

I would rather have the way it is now personally. If they didn't charge, they would be raising the rates for everybody to make up the lost revenue. The good ol' days you pine for can still be had on more inclusive lines, but you will pay much more for it. Even with the increased costs now a days, it is still a much better value than it was in the good ol' days imo.

The rates are raised year after year to keep up with inflation and other rising costs.

What they are doing is increasing the bottom line for the shareholders. You will see they are posting bigger revenues and profits than ever before, and this is how they are getting that. By cutting out the "freebies" and charging.

The rates are raised year after year to keep up with inflation and other rising costs.

What they are doing is increasing the bottom line for the shareholders. You will see they are posting bigger revenues and profits than ever before, and this is how they are getting that. By cutting out the "freebies" and charging.

Either way they are going to try and increase profits, that is the goal of every for profit company. They either raise fees (so that the people that use those services pays for it) or raise cruise cost, so everybody subsidizes the few that use it.

Yes it is. On all the big budget lines at least (NCL, Carnival, HAL, etc). Some do have a limited selection of choices that remain free, then an expanded selection with a cost.

We were on a Carnival cruise the last week of September and most of the room service menu was free.

For the 2018 cruises, I found RCCL more expensive than their 5 star Celebrity cruises. Already booked celebrity for an Iceland cruise in May.

RCCL was always cheaper than Celebrity, so was surprised when I compared prices.

Maybe 2019 will be different

Actually I was thinking the way to do it is to think ahead and stock up on non-perishable or refridgeable items you will consume in room over the next day or so you can minimize the impact... So it might actually encourage the opposite.

Yes, I thought about this later. If I have to pay for room service I will probably order more than I need! This will be my first cruise with RCL but I'm also thinking it might be my last - too many add ons for me.

RCCL are still charging a premium, so I believe they should deliver a premium service!

Obviously others feel they get value. While it may not be what you want, it is what others want, as they keep sailing full. If that stops happening, they will start either lowering prices, or adding in other things. If it does not, they will keep slowly adding other costs, slowly so customers don't revolt.

There are lines that offer free things that RCI charges for, but RCI's ships are what sets it apart.

Continental breakfast is still no charge. I would guess this has been in place more than a year. Others can correct me if wrong.

Speaking of breakfast . . . has anyone who has stayed in the Owner’s Suite on RCI been offered the breakfast menu exclusive to suite guests???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the other threads had people stating they regularly had ordered some cookies or a glass of milk in the evening via room service.

Since the change, people do not make a lot of these small orders.

There are less orders overall, so people report much faster delivery.

So, it seems to have had some positive benefits also.

Ahh, the way of the future, more and more you have to pay for everything even when it is supposed to be free or included. From my point of view I certainly wouldn't pay $7.95 for cookies and milk. But I certainly wouldn't over order just to make it "worthwhile".

There are less orders overall, so people report much faster delivery.

So, it seems to have had some positive benefits also.

Never had a problem with late delivery, either before or after the charge introduced.

Perhaps there are other reasons for RCCL introducing charge.

Unless that’s why RCCL have made so many changes lately to ‘benefit’ their customers.

For example room service charge, gratuities introduced on speciality restaurants, changes in drink packages etc.

The list goes on.

Ahh, the way of the future, more and more you have to pay for everything even when it is supposed to be free or included. From my point of view I certainly wouldn't pay $7.95 for cookies and milk. But I certainly wouldn't over order just to make it "worthwhile".

Why is it "supposed to be free?"

Hotels charge more for room service food than the restaurant, add a service charge, and then add a mandatory gratuity.

I would not over order. And I would be fine with paying the small charge for a room service MEAL, not a snack.

What about coffee in the morning? I have always ordered a couple pots to drink on my balcony every day.

Coffee and "continental breakfast" items are free of the delivery charge.

This includes cereal, fruit, bread, normal breakfast drinks.