Is it better to book direct with HAL?

atexsix

If I booked directly with HAL and got Explore4, can I transfer the booking to an independent TA for a potentially better deal and still keep the Explore4 promo?

How does this work? I've always booked directly with the cruise line, but am interested in possibly going to a TA after reading some of the comments in this thread.

Thanks..

Never thought I would say this, but the TA who just booked our March 18 cruise(for a very large group) has been a disappointment. We booked 5 of the rooms onboard our last cruise (with future cruise) under Explore4, and were very satisfied when the booking was (at my request) transferred to our TA (who handled our last two HAL cruises). Unfortunately, he was offered a “better deal” from HAL which eliminates all 5 rooms free gratuities and free internet. Yes, we are paying $3K less, together for all 5 rooms (yes, we are paying - spending our kids inheritance for a cruise for the whole family). However, he was told by HAL this “better deal” just reduced the cost and everything else was the same. Not true, as now to make everything “the same” we have to pay $410 to each room to make up for the losses. A good TA would have noticed this or questioned what really was different. Our next HAL will be directly with HAL, as our previous 11 were.

I know how to watch this stuff - disappointing that a TA doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’d also recommend that you make sure they will not charge a fee to make any future adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, gotta always be wary of the (TA) 'hidden' fees. This is why, and takes me back to booking directly with the cruise line. Hidden fees are minimal to none, and you always know what your cost is up front...

Yep, gotta always be wary of the (TA) 'hidden' fees. This is why, and takes me back to booking directly with the cruise line. Hidden fees are minimal to none, and you always know what your cost is up front...

You have a point. Consider that we recently transferred a HAL onboard booking to one of our favorite cruise agencies who immediately gave us an additional $1050 of OBC. If we cancel that agency would charge us an additional $50 penalty. By ur reckoning we should give up $1000 because we would not want to ever cancel and pay that $50. If we had left the booking with HAL we would have lost $1000 but would not have to be concened with a $50 cancellation penalty? Yep. U are right...no hidden fees with HAL.....but no $1050 OBC either. I guess there is logic in ur philosophy...but we are too dense to find it.

Hank

You have a point. Consider that we recently transferred a HAL onboard booking to one of our favorite cruise agencies who immediately gave us an additional $1050 of OBC. If we cancel that agency would charge us an additional $50 penalty. By ur reckoning we should give up $1000 because we would not want to ever cancel and pay that $50. If we had left the booking with HAL we would have lost $1000 but would not have to be concened with a $50 cancellation penalty? Yep. U are right...no hidden fees with HAL.....but no $1050 OBC either. I guess there is logic in ur philosophy...but we are too dense to find it.

Hank

Wish there was a like button. 👍

So far our last two cruises have been booked thru a PCC and using flight ease and it has been a positive thing. We used a TA for 20 of our other cruises, while they for the most part went well, there were often additional expenses added that did not happen with Hal. We looked at a number agencies and big box, but never were offered the OBC's that have been mentioned in this thread. I cannot find any around our area that will give those kind of OBC's, not to say it cannot happen, but there may be special reasons why the above mentioned OBC's were given that do not apply to everyone.

And as I have noted on other threads - you don't have to book with HAL to get upsells or upgrades; I've gotten them through my TA on every cruise.

Would some of those cruises have been on other lines? I always booked directly with HAL, and got used to the upgrade or upswell offers. Then I switched to a big vacations TA (seems they deal just with cruises) for more recent cruises with RCI, Princess and Cunard. I liked the deals (and their simple-to-use website for searches), but not a single upgrade or upsell offer. So going forward their deals need to be huge for me not to go back to booking directly with the lines.

Would some of those cruises have been on other lines? I always booked directly with HAL, and got used to the upgrade or upswell offers. Then I switched to a big vacations TA (seems they deal just with cruises) for more recent cruises with RCI, Princess and Cunard. I liked the deals (and their simple-to-use website for searches), but not a single upgrade or upsell offer. So going forward their deals need to be huge for me not to go back to booking directly with the lines.

You should check with this TA about thier upsell policies. Some TAs will pass them on, while it seems that others do not want to be bothered with it. Booked with HAL, we get them directly (which I really like).

No, they were not on other lines. Our other cruise line of choice is RCI, and we have never gotten an upsell or upgrade there. No, all our upsells have been with HAL, and over the years through 2 different TA's. Not online agencies.

Thanks, Lizzie and Dave.

I did check with the rep ("cruise counselor") of the agency, and he says he would be passing any offers to me. Perhaps the line pushes them first to customers who book a certain way, and perhaps there simply were none to be had for these particular cruises. Oh well, I'm still inclined, at least, to start booking with the lines again. (I don't have time to visit local TAs).

In the past year we've had 6 bookings on HAL, Princess, and a river cruise, all booked through 4 different TA's. None are local and 3 are Internet only TA's. We received 3 upsell offers which we accepted. We got another upsell offer that we declined. I don't buy that you get more upsell offers booking through the line than you would through a TA.

In the past year we've had 6 bookings on HAL, Princess, and a river cruise, all booked through 4 different TA's. None are local and 3 are Internet only TA's. We received 3 upsell offers which we accepted. We got another upsell offer that we declined. I don't buy that you get more upsell offers booking through the line than you would through a TA.

My point on this issue is that getting upsell offers CAN depend on your TA - some do a great job in passing them on, while reportedly others do not want to bother.

My point on this issue is that getting upsell offers CAN depend on your TA - some do a great job in passing them on, while reportedly others do not want to bother.

This is absolutely true. As an example, the Big Box TA that has the great hot dog combo does NOT pass along upsell offers.

One huge red flag is if you pay your money to them vice the cruise line. Don't ever do that. Your credit card charge should always be from the cruise line.

Can you please elaborate on this a little? I recently transferred our HAL booking to a Big Box TA and although my deposit was made directly with HAL, the final payment will be made via the TA's travel site, which makes perfect sense to me.

Also, when I contacted HAL to initiate the transfer, the HAL agent noted that all future payments would be made via my TA, which seemed to be pretty much standard procedure.

I'm not quite understanding where the 'red flag' is here..:confused:

Can you please elaborate on this a little? I recently transferred our HAL booking to a Big Box TA and although my deposit was made directly with HAL, the final payment will be made via the TA's travel site, which makes perfect sense to me.

Also, when I contacted HAL to initiate the transfer, the HAL agent noted that all future payments would be made via my TA, which seemed to be pretty much standard procedure.

Some unscrupulous agents have been known to charge your card, then never pay the cruise line. When I give my credit card info to my TA, the charge is always from HAL, not the TA. My TA never has my money.

If you are using a big box or a TA you trust, then you should be OK. But something to consider because if the TA never pays HAL and the TA goes Bankrupt. - with your money. Not sure what recourse you would have will HAL.

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

Here is an example. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abcactionnews.com/2386499154/dozens-of-cruise-ship-bookings-cancelled-thanks-to-sarasota-based-travel-agency.html

I always make sure the charge on my card says HAL Seattle not Travel Agent.

You could always call HAL after you pay you TA to make sure your cruise was in fact paid.

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

Here is an example. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abcactionnews.com/2386499154/dozens-of-cruise-ship-bookings-cancelled-thanks-to-sarasota-based-travel-agency.html

I always make sure the charge on my card says HAL Seattle not Travel Agent.

You could always call HAL after you pay you TA to make sure your cruise was in fact paid.

www.theinsidecabin.com

Good info thanks.. This is probably why my TA requires final payment 2 weeks prior to when HAL requires it... to give them ample time to get the payment over to HAL by HAL's deadline.