Politics-free zone, please

BJzink

I don't agree. There is no way that a cruise ship can be or should be a politics free zone. Politics is part of life.

It may be a part of life for some, but it isn't for everyone. It does seem at times though to expect too much for people to pick up on social cues of when to discuss politics, and when to keep your opinions to yourself.

Regardless of where a ship is cruising, the First Amendment has nothing to do with this topic, as the First Amendment is a limitation directed at the government and NOT at individuals.
Exactly what does the First Amendment have to do with anything when you are cruising outside of American waters???? The answer is nothing whatsoever.

These.

The First Amendment has nothing to do with private companies within the context of their own facilities, even within US Waters, even on US land.

What applies to this situation are the principles of hospitality, the obligations of guests to their host, and the obligations of guests to other guests. The fact that the discussion was political is not relevant; it would be the same if it were a discussion about football or baseball. What matters is whether and how much the discussion was disruptive beyond what is normal in the context of the venue. We have only heard one side's opinion about that, and the implicit fact that the host, the cruise line, didn't take action as they could have of they determined it was unacceptable. It's prudent to reserve judgement until at least hearing the other side's opinion about whether they were or were not disruptive, which isn't going to happen.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I have always thought that we learn more from our disagreements than our agreements. Unfortunately today we seem to choose only those networks, sites, and groups with whom we agree. Hence, we tend to be quite ignorant and uninformed. I agree, though, that loudness on any topic can be irritating and rude. I just hope that in any context we can be kind enough to listen, and if the communication is loud or harmful, we can politely move. Kindness and smiles heal.

It i s apublic space as is the r pool and MDR, they can talk about w haever thery wish an d anyone that doesn't care for it, should go elsewhere or disregard. They have every right to talk about whatever they wish . If your table is too near their's ask to be moved.away so you do not have to listen I if they become too boisteriously loud, Dining rooom Manager should handle that, with Security if necessary..

Speaking of needing to walk something back...Security?Really?:rolleyes:

On my cruise last year, in the build up to the US Presidential election, I was behind another passenger who was screaming at the Front Desk staff that he wanted them to show the Presidential Debate on a big TV in one of the public rooms, because EVERYONE on the ship wanted to see it. He was not listening to them when they explained that it was policy to show the debate on cabin televisions but not in public rooms.

I can see the sense in that because, particularly last year, it could have gotten quite ugly with people on opposite sides in the same small space.

I prefer not to have too many discussions of politics with strangers, but others enjoy that kind of conversation. But I know I can't prevent anyone from discussing anything, quietly or loudly. Frankly if anyone came up to me to ask me to stop talking about the topic of discussion, I would discuss that subject whenever I saw that passenger again, very loudly. Asking me to be quieter is not the same as asking me to change the topic of discussion. Sometimes the discussion can get loud without the participants realizing.

Why ban it?

Watch it or do not, it is your choice. Bu t I don/t think any of us should prevent anyone else from watfching wha t they wish in the privacy of their cabin.

I agree. I don't care for Fox "news" nor do i care to watch soccer.....but fortunately my TV has a remote control that I can change the channel with the push of a button.

Speaking of needing to walk something back...Security?Really?:rolleyes:

Yes, really, have you seen some of the dedmonstrations on both sides and how ' animated' they can get? When the sides try and 'talk it out, it gets wild., way too often. ;p

Being from Montreal, You may or may not be fully familiar with the animosity going back and forth and plenty have ended up in jail over it thus my mention of security., Really.

Edited by sail7seas

If the distinction between what sail7seas said on the other Thread and what she said above is not painfully obvious to you, I doubt that additional explanation will get the road apples out of your head.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are “road [emoji519] apples”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These.

What applies to this situation are the principles of hospitality, the obligations of guests to their host, and the obligations of guests to other guests. The fact that the discussion was political is not relevant; ...

This is the real point - not only does the “free speech” concept not apply to private citizens or in international waters - there is no reason why there cannot be civilized and informed discussion on virtually any topic - it is when the arrogant (and usually not that well informed) seek more to impose their opinions than to share thoughts, that politics becomes a conversational minefield.

Of course, it is not just politics: a discussion about art -or even breeds of dog -can degenerate if an individual is more interested in imposing his views than sharing ideas,

I hope you will agree with me that a cruise ship should be a politics-free zone. I was on the Zuiderdam last June, and a group of about 15 passengers took over the Crow's Nest each morning to talk rather loudly about their political views. This is rather a personal issue, and, I believe, should not be aired in this way in a very public area on a cruise ship. There are more private gathering places if necessary. Thank you.

I was told in OCS that gentlemen never discussed religion, politics, or sex, because you never know whose god, hero, or sister you might be insulting.

I'm sure it will come as an incredible shock to know that I can be somewhat opinionated.;) Therefore, given the deplorable situation with politics in the US (thank the lord I'm Canadian!) if I hear politics being discussed on the ship, I remove myself out of hearing. Especially if it's on one particular side of the equation. Seems to me you have no right to select what others discuss, you are not part of the conversation so butt out.

I can't see why anybody should care about the topics that others would like to discuss. But I do see a problem with having any kind of conversation in a loud and disruptive manner... regardless of the topic. I am extremely interested in politics, but I would consider it rude to have a loud and disruptive discussion in a public place where others are trying to enjoy a relaxing vacation. The same would be true for a discussion about football, abortion or your favorite flavor of ice cream. If there is a problem here, the solution isn't to censor topics, but to be respectful of the fact that others are sharing the same space. When we choose a cruise vacation over other types of trips, we are subjecting ourselves to a high density environment where we have to adapt our behavior to the presence of others. Unfortunately, some people aren't very good at this. I agree that others should be more quiet during the Captain's noon announcements (instead of raising their voices in order to be heard). But we are stuck with tolerating this type of behavior when we decide to take a cruise. It's not my favorite aspect of cruising, but I accept it as part of the total package.