Politics-free zone, please

BJzink

Just when you think you have heard it all.

If someone dared to suggest to me that I should not discuss something that makes them uncomfortable, while I on my vacation, no less ... well, it’s ON.

Don’t snowflakes melt in the sun?

There was mention on another thread about a gentleman on the first night in the MDR who informed the table of a list of prohibited topics.

Wait. I just read a thread, started by you, complaining about people talking during announcements. You didn’t seem to take it too well when others told you to go elsewhere if you didn’t like the conversation. Now you’re claiming public spaces and people have the right to talk about anything they wish? Which is it? Make up your mind.

Right? *shakes head* If I find myself around people who I disagree with on a ship(not that it's happened much but it has once or twice) I do the polite smile and nod.

Right? *shakes head* If I find myself around people who I disagree with on a ship(not that it's happened much but it has once or twice) I do the polite smile and nod.

IMO you and Cruzaholic41 are trying to compare apples and road apples. The Posts by sail7seas on the other Thread have nothing to do with the content of other people's (very loud) conversations - she was merely asking folks to tone down the volume of their conversation while the Ship's Captain was making announcements. On the other hand, OP's rant on this Thread clearly has to do with the content (and not just the volume) of the offending (political) conversation.

Please try to stay on topic.

I understand what you're saying. I just disembarked Koningsdam and it got to where I purposely avoided folks from one particular country because it seemed every time I talked to them, they just wanted to talk American politics, and in such a resentful manner. I'm usually ok with political discussions, but not when they're so closed minded....which is most of the time nowadays.

You must have run into some of my Australian relatives!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO you and Cruzaholic41 are trying to compare apples and road apples. The Posts by sail7seas on the other Thread have nothing to do with the content of other people's (very loud) conversations - she was merely asking folks to tone down the volume of their conversation while the Ship's Captain was making announcements. On the other hand, OP's rant on this Thread clearly has to do with the content (and not just the volume) of the offending (political) conversation.

Please try to stay on topic.

Nope. The hypocrisy was telling people to go elsewhere if they don’t like something. Try to keep up.

Wait. I just read a thread, started by you, complaining about people talking during announcements. didn’t seem to take it too well when others told you to go elsewhere if you didn’t like the conversation. Now you’re claiming public spaces and people have the right to talk about anything they wish? Which is it? Make up your mind.

.. WAIT, Wait, YES , Wait, I was told AGAIN AND A AGAIN AND AGIAIN in that thread to leave and go elsewhere. :)You missed the go elswh ere c omment s in that thread? Thatt was hard to miss. :) and I had no commntt as to what the consttant gabbers were speakiing about, , jus tthat they would not sttay quiet for 10 minutes of less. Facts are facts.............. and your facts are not quite accurate or Please give the real piccture of that threa d here

Edited by sail7seas

This happened to us in a public space on a previous cruise.

We met a British woman in her 80s sailing alone. ( I was sailing with my 16 year old daughter.) She seemed lonely and often asked if she might join us in public spaces or walking to dinner. She was well-read and extremely polite. One evening there was a very obnoxious group arguing politics nearby, we could not have a conversation over the din.

She walked to their table and said quite politely, "My friends and I wish to apologize. We have been talking quite loudly and are afraid we may have unwittingly disturbed those around us. We are sorry if we hampered your conversation. "

The group looked stupified, but they keep their volume down after. I am not offended by any group topic, but am offended when a group makes public spaces nearly unusable. A little consideration of fellow cruisers is all that is needed.

Why, as a Canadian, on a ship in international waters , should I care about your 1st amendment?

You shouldn't, because the First Amendment to the US Constitution has no bearing on what you talk about on board a ship whether you are in US or international waters. The reason is that the First Amendment prohibits the US government from abridging, regulating or controlling speech - ergo the expression Freedom of Speech. The First Amendment does not apply the same prohibition to private individuals. As such, the First Amendment has no bearing on a discussion (such as this Thread) on the "rights" of individuals to discuss certain topics on board cruise ships (regardless of where the ship is flagged, licensed, or located).

I did! But it wasn't them. The Aussies I met on my catamaran excursion were great. Not a word of politics.

The post after yours is clue though. ;)

My Aussie relatives have pretty strident opinions on US politics, but I believe they are polite enough to only share them with me (at high volume). I do have some business partners from north of the border and understand your point [emoji6]

Nope. The hypocrisy was telling people to go elsewhere if they don’t like something. Try to keep up.

If the distinction between what sail7seas said on the other Thread and what she said above is not painfully obvious to you, I doubt that additional explanation will get the road apples out of your head.

Every other year I take a Theme cruise on politics. Last year’s roll call thread was so full of consternation about sharing 3500 passenger ship with 450 to 700 persons with political interests was amazing to watch and read.

And yes, in the late evening we would take over a lounge and have lively discussions. We certainly did not exclude non group cruisers from these discussions. I think many of them that joined us were shocked over the topics and points of view being discussed.

If the distinction between what sail7seas said on the other Thread and what she said above is not painfully obvious to you, I doubt that additional explanation will get the road apples out of your head.

Whoosh.

(the sound of it flying right over your head)

So, what is your gripe with the commnet I MADE IN this thread to go ELWSEWHERE? If YOU think that was the point in the other threaD? I am missing your point.

The fact you’re totally not getting it explains a lot to me right now.

Exactly what does the First Amendment have to do with anything when you are cruising outside of American waters????

The answer is nothing whatsoever.

The First Amendment has nothing to do with this topic, but not for the reason that you stated. The First Amendment applies only to government actions which restrict free speech; it does not apply to private individual or businesses restricting speech.

So, what is your gripe with the commnet I MADE IN this thread to go ELWSEWHERE? If YOU think that was the point in the other threaD? I am missing your point.

Could I state it more clearly, I missed your point? How many times should I write iit? And kindly skip the whosh part, I stated quite clearly, I missed your point, There, now I have said it three times, are we done with whoosh?

You still have not answered my question as to what was the contradictiion with what I wrote on the other thread and what I wrote here in regard to go elsewhere?

Could

I hope you will agree with me that a cruise ship should be a politics-free zone. I was on the Zuiderdam last June, and a group of about 15 passengers took over the Crow's Nest each morning to talk rather loudly about their political views. This is rather a personal issue, and, I believe, should not be aired in this way in a very public area on a cruise ship. There are more private gathering places if necessary. Thank you.

I don't agree. There is no way that a cruise ship can be or should be a politics free zone. Politics is part of life.

They should ban CNN on cruise ships.

Why ban it?

Watch it or do not, it is your choice. Bu t I don/t think any of us should prevent anyone else from watfching wha t they wish in the privacy of their cabin.

OP, just another example of how rude some people can be.

Recently at a family wedding I had a guy sitting at my table, whom I had just met, ask me if I followed American politics. I responded, "No. I don't even follow Canadian (being Cdn) politics." That should have been the cue that I did not wish to discuss politics. Sadly, it didn't work. So I just smiled and listened to his rant.

I am always amazed at how many people love to listen to themselves. Some, even quite loudly.