Where on Princess to eat the best steak?

Kingofcool1947

My recommendation? Peter Luger.

You will be disappointed with anything on princess.

Awesome steaks. But visitors should beware because Peter Luger's has nothing on their menu for non-meat eaters...and they do not take credit cards (except their own). And if you eat there do try the Pork Belly starter.

To be honest, we do not expect cruise line food to equal or even come close to what we can experience in a good land based restaurant. On some of the very expensive luxury lines it can be close...but its not happening on the mass market lines. One exception (IMHO) is on Celebrity in their upscale alternative restaurant (called Murano on many of the ships) where we have had some items that rivaled anything ashore. For example, the whole Dover Sole (filleted at tableside) is usually amazing. But even in Murano, the lobster is merely a large cold water lobster tail (prepared tableside) which pales by comparison to a decent whole Maine Lobster. Their preparation is wonderful, but the underlying raw material is far from world class

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Awesome steaks. But visitors should beware because Peter Luger's has nothing on their menu for non-meat eaters...and they do not take credit cards (except their own). And if you eat there do try the Pork Belly starter.

To be honest, we do not expect cruise line food to equal or even come close to what we can experience in a good land based restaurant. On some of the very expensive luxury lines it can be close...but its not happening on the mass market lines. One exception (IMHO) is on Celebrity in their upscale alternative restaurant (called Murano on many of the ships) where we have had some items that rivaled anything ashore. For example, the whole Dover Sole (filleted at tableside) is usually amazing. But even in Murano, the lobster is merely a large cold water lobster tail (prepared tableside) which pales by comparison to a decent whole Maine Lobster. Their preparation is wonderful, but the underlying raw material is far from world class

Hank

Ate at Murano on the Eclipse a couple of years back. Best meal on a cruise ship ever.

My experience with beef--which, by the way, I love--in various Princess venues is best described as inconsistent. I have had good pieces of beef in Crown Grill/Sterling Steakhouse and I have had poor. Often, the problem has been the beef has been overcooked. I have learned to overcome this problem by ordering "blood rare" when asked my preparation preference. That seems to do it. I will not argue with those who feel they can prepare a more tasty steak on ther backyard grill. I've had that feeling more than once. Consistently, the best beef that I have been served in the Crown Grill has been the Filet Mignon. Most of their steaks are OK, but not memorable. Off the OP's agenda, I will agree that the seafood at Crown Grill is consistently very good.

To the person who asked about the Lamb Chops at Crown Grill, I have something of a story. I really like Lamb Chops. The first time I ordered it in a Crown Grill, and this had to be five years ago, the server looked at me and shook his head. OK, I can take a hint, and, so, I changed my order. In a subsequent visit, on a different ship, I asked about the Lamb Chops before I ordered them. Again, the server discouraged me. Last year, on the Ruby Princess, I decided I was going to order the Lamb Chops, and no server was going to discourage me. They were awesome. The thing that disappointed me was the glob of green jelly that they served. I think in a white tablecloth restaurant they should prepare a mint sauce in the kitchen to go with lamb--not open a jar of Smuckers and drop a spoonfull into a ramekin.

The old Sabatini's menu had Bistecca Toscana on it. One and done with that.

We have enjoyed the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on three ocassions. I have always ordered the Filet Mignon. On these three ocassions there have been two winners and one not so much.

I'm going to disagree, a bit, with the poster who stated that the beef served at the Chef's Table was the same as the other venues. When we tried the Chef's Table we were served a Roast Veal Shank and a Beef Tenderloin. The Beef was prepared and carved tableside. So, it was not sliced into medallions, like the Filet Mignons, until after it was prepared. As a result it was more moist that I usually get in the other venues. I should report that as much as I liked the beef tenderloin, that evening, the veal was better.

We tried SHARE a year ago. This was the old menu, and the only beef dish I recall from that was the beef cheeks pie. I ordered that one night, and it was outstanding. We are going to be on the Ruby Princess, next week, and are looking forward to trying the new menu at SHARE. I am looking forward to trying both the Strip Loin Steak and the Lamb Loin. In all honesty, though, I doubt if either of these are what the OP had in mind.

To be honest, I added Chef's Table to the list based on hearsay. We have done Winemaker's and I am pretty sure I was eating the same filet mignon cuts as I had in Crown Grill. And they messed up the cook temperature for almost all of the table and had to redo them all, so that was another sample. DON'T let this 1-off incident dissuade you from trying Winemaker's. The host was quite embarrassed and made it all right. Great experience, but no better meat than CG (and they were individual steaks). Perhaps Chef's Table often does a tenderloin roast - I sometimes do that at home rather than individual steaks. It's easier to get a great cook on the meat that way.

I would agree, the filet is usually the best choice in the Crown Grill. Years ago the meal, including the meat, had a wow factor. You left the table thinking WOW that was GREAT. That has not been the case in recent years. Now it's more like a that was OK, or I really liked that one dessert. We probably would not book it if it weren't for the first night free with a suite. So yes it's the best place to get a steak on board but go in with realistic expectations.

IMHO Outback Steakhouse is better all around. Ironically we usually eat at an Outback the night before a cruise. It's next to the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale. So I eat the meat at Outback and 24 hours later I eat the same cut in the CG. Outback wins every time. Years ago it may have been a tie.

To be honest, I added Chef's Table to the list based on hearsay. We have done Winemaker's and I am pretty sure I was eating the same filet mignon cuts as I had in Crown Grill. And they messed up the cook temperature for almost all of the table and had to redo them all, so that was another sample. DON'T let this 1-off incident dissuade you from trying Winemaker's. The host was quite embarrassed and made it all right. Great experience, but no better meat than CG (and they were individual steaks). Perhaps Chef's Table often does a tenderloin roast - I sometimes do that at home rather than individual steaks. It's easier to get a great cook on the meat that way.

I'm pretty sure that the chef has a certain amount of flexibility with the menu. If one chef wants to do the whole tenderloin and another one wants to do filets--or, maybe, pork--I think that's a good approach. The other thing is to consider is what they were able to bring on board prior to departure. If a purveyor could not provide entire tenderloins, then substitute what you have.

I've never been on a ship that offers the winemakers dinner (one of the minuses, I suppose, of being a "west coast" cruiser, Steelers ;p), but, if I ever get the chance, I will jump at it.

Ate at Murano on the Eclipse a couple of years back. Best meal on a cruise ship ever.

We have an upcoming (in a few days) 21 day Reflection cruise for which we have purchased dining packages that will allow us to eat 14 meals in alternative restaurants. Our thinking is that 10 of those meals will be in Murano :). What a way to go.

Hank

We have an upcoming (in a few days) 21 day Reflection cruise for which we have purchased dining packages that will allow us to eat 14 meals in alternative restaurants. Our thinking is that 10 of those meals will be in Murano :). What a way to go.

Hank

If that is a Celebrity ship - GOOD LUCK - unless you like sauted sawdust

I would agree, the filet is usually the best choice in the Crown Grill. Years ago the meal, including the meat, had a wow factor. You left the table thinking WOW that was GREAT. That has not been the case in recent years. Now it's more like a that was OK, or I really liked that one dessert. We probably would not book it if it weren't for the first night free with a suite. So yes it's the best place to get a steak on board but go in with realistic expectations.

IMHO Outback Steakhouse is better all around. Ironically we usually eat at an Outback the night before a cruise. It's next to the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale. So I eat the meat at Outback and 24 hours later I eat the same cut in the CG. Outback wins every time. Years ago it may have been a tie.

Outback steaks are a low grade of top sirloin - IMHO are not very good

Hank

If you are willing to pay $24pp per day on top of the$,s you are giving up in the MDR then you must agree that the MDR food is terrible.

I often wonder if the specialty restaurants have lost their WOW! factor simply because we are able to purchase for home use and in most restaurants the prime grade meat cuts, that were hard to come by years ago. In others words we have been spoiled land side...and it is impossible for the cruise lines to compete.

Maybe I have experienced to much to really state an opinion..after all my taste buds have been around for a long time and thinking about it now I have cruised for over half my life...it is quite disappointing when at one time other pax considered me and my DH so young being able to cruise, do land vac. or river cruising and now we are a little bit above the medium age:loudcry:....such is life.....

I'm pretty sure that the chef has a certain amount of flexibility with the menu. If one chef wants to do the whole tenderloin and another one wants to do filets--or, maybe, pork--I think that's a good approach. The other thing is to consider is what they were able to bring on board prior to departure. If a purveyor could not provide entire tenderloins, then substitute what you have.

I've never been on a ship that offers the winemakers dinner (one of the minuses, I suppose, of being a "west coast" cruiser, Steelers ;p), but, if I ever get the chance, I will jump at it.

You will get the chance as I believe Royal is coming over to your side if I recall correctly.

They have more than top sirloin on their menu. Been ages, but I always got the Victoria Filet.

What would really be different is if they offered organic grass feed beef.

While I understand that Organic and Natural are the buzzwords of the day.....we do not want beef that tastes like grass :). And there is nothing more natural than arsenic. Consider that Kobe Beef (arguably the best beef in the world) cows are fed lots of beer as part of their diet :). And when it comes to real steakhouse quality beef, much depends on the aging (wet or dry)..which is not something done on cruise ships. Consider Peter Luger (one of the best and oldest steak houses in America) dry ages their beef for at least 28 days in their own basement aging room. But this aging process means that the beef will lose up to 1/3 of its weight...which is not something a cruise line wants to do. And besides, I have never seen "inorganic" grass unless is was astroturf. Also consider that the waste that comes out of your body is all organic....but its not something I want mixed into my food. I have a friend who is a great (and wealthy) chemist...and when somebody mentions "organic" to him he just laughs and says that anything with carbon is organic. You might also want to consider that e-coli (not a nice thing) comes from natural "organic" fertilizers. Just fruit (also organic) for thought. On the other hand, we would not want real science to get in the way of fads and marketing.

So much of what we hear and believe simply come from very good marketing....which is long on color...and short on real facts/science. Just think back a few years ago when "they" had most of us convinced we should avoid butter and eat margerine. Now, many of those say "experts" (known as they" will tell you to avoid margarine and eat butter!. When I was a kid "they" told parents to feed (or force feed) their kids calves liver!..Now, many of those same "experts" would tell you that calves liver is poison (very high cholesterol). And of course there are the true medical scientists who will tell you that cholesterol issue are genetic and have very little to do with what you eat. To quote a physician friend, eat what you want I will control your cholesterol with drugs (OMG...what could be worse)

And we will not even start talking about the "water people" who can't go anywhere without their bottled water...which is often just filtered city water stored in plastic (has anyone talked about what can leach out of plastic). Would you want plastic pipes bringing drinking water to your tap? And these folks are willing to pay a lot more for that water (which costs pennies a gallon to make and bottle) then for gasoline. Hard to imagine some folks paying $8 or more per gallon for city water run though a charcoal filter. And yet, they would not drink tap water on a cruise ship which is made from pure distilled water, tested several times a day, and piped through the most modern system. Sometimes I must just laugh when I see a cruise ship passenger walking a few laps and carrying their bottle of water. On the other hand, if they moved their arm with that bottle of water they could honestly say they did their weight lifting exercise (even if the weight is only 12 ounces). OMG! please forgive my cynicism.

Hank

P.S. Writing this post has made me crave some good potato chips or french fries fried in lard! Soooo good.

[

Edited by Hlitner

They have more than top sirloin on their menu. Been ages, but I always got the Victoria Filet.

What would really be different is if they offered organic grass feed beef.

Or pasture raised, I ought to have clarified. That would be a nice upgrade menu item in the CG. But someone else will probably post about poisoned earth and I may as well buy beef from mass production indoor facilities.

I often wonder if the specialty restaurants have lost their WOW! factor simply because we are able to purchase for home use and in most restaurants the prime grade meat cuts, that were hard to come by years ago. In others words we have been spoiled land side...and it is impossible for the cruise lines to compete.....

I would generally agree but I feel my experience was just the opposite. Years ago the steak was noticeably better in the CG. Just comparing the meat quality in the CG over the years. Now I would put it on par with a Publix or other large chain store. The meat has gone down in quality over the years and I'm guessing it was to cut costs.

We ate at Outback last night. I split the New York strip with my DW and daughter had the Victoria filet. She didn't finish it so I re-heated the left-overs this morning with a couple of eggs and it was still better than the hot off the grill filet in the CG. So yes, Outback has much more than sirloin and I still give them the edge when it comes to meat quality and preparation. Funny too, the price is pretty much the same. If Outback can make $$$ and serve better beef I would think Princess could if they chose to do so.