I Belize in MAGIC! MITSUGIRLY revisits the Western Route. My Novel.

mitsugirly

23770339_10213609940736627_557102259_o%20copy-L.jpg

23798612_10213609938936582_1135850330_o%20copy-L.jpg

We would head out for the long haul to the taxi stand outside of the port. I knew the last time I had to do this it was a bit on the tiring side, but well worth it to get away and go do something outside of the port.

So what were we doing today? SCUBA DIVING! We have been trying to scuba dive at least one port per cruise since Sakari took an interest to this hobby a little over a year ago.

A little history: We went to St Lucia on a cruise and to the Pitons. It was absolutely AMAZING! The snorkeling was just out of this world. While we were there, Sakari watched several divers go in the water and they were below her. At that time, she instantly started begging to scuba dive. I told her she was too young, but she was very persistent.

After coming back home, I found that she could, in fact, learn to dive. I signed her up with the local dive shop and she started taking classes. She got certified as a PADI seal team member and she dives monthly doing various skills you have to complete. She loves it! Actually TONIGHT (Dec 1) is her very last class to complete her aquamissions. After this, she will do a check off and become a MASTER PADI SEAL! How exciting.

She will then be able to get her open water certificate, if she decides to do this, in 5 months. I'm still not sure what her plans are (or ours) as far as diving. It still makes me very nervous, but it's getting better I believe. I just don't know if I actually want to become certified (or her for that matter) because it scares me. I'm just being honest. Everyone keeps telling me to get certified and I'll do better and over come some of my fears/anxiety about diving. But to be perfectly honest, I just don't feel like I will ever want to do anything other than what I'm doing now...which is the limitations of the Discover Scuba Dive (down to 40') <---and I really don't care to go that far. I have 0% desire to do a night dive, or dive from a boat out in the ocean where it's deep, or cave dive or anything like that. The DSD is more my speed and desire. So, we will see.

So, back to the day. We were scuba diving. One thing I want to mention is that Sakari has been stung by fire coral on a beach day in Cozumel. She was also stung by fire coral scuba diving in Curacao. Since this last time, she has gotten a little nervous about diving. She's associating the fire coral stings with scuba diving and when we were in Aruba on a land vacation in August, she begged not to go diving. I was shocked. Then I learned that she was afraid of being stung. Well...don't get close to the fire coral and be more aware of your surroundings and going down too far and that won't happen.

This time around, once again, she said "I don't wanna scuba dive in the ocean" with the same excuse. Well, we were diving anyhow because it was already booked and paid for.

Originally I had plans to go see the sloths and then on to a beach for the day. I wanted to scuba dive in Costa Maya because that was the only port day that we didn't have any plans. Then Kendra booked and decided that she wanted to dive in Roatan.

After checking all the places in Costa Maya, we discovered that you had to dive BY BOAT there. That was an instant NO for both me and Kendra. Absolutely not! She has the same anxiety I have when diving and it takes us both awhile to get used to breathing under water like that. We need our feet firmly planted on the ground until the calmness sets in. This would only be her second dive, with the first being at Coki Beach and it took her forever to get used to it. I would see her constantly pop back up over and over at the beach and it wasn't looking good for a long time. But she accomplished it and managed to dive at Coki.

So it looked like Roatan would be the place we would dive. I contacted a lot of different places and our problem is...the kids. It's very hard to find a company that can accommodate both the adults AND the kids with a dive.

I found the perfect place: Bananarama. They gave us the option of a DSD right there at West Bay, which I had been wanting to return to since we were there last in 2011 and kind of didn't get to see much of the reef that time because they had had a lot of rain prior and everything was stirred up. They would take us right out off the beach and to the kidney area and around the outside and back. We would be going to Eel Garden and that sounded pretty darn awesome! They would also take the kids out so far with us and knew they were both PADI seals and felt comfortable with this.

We booked the DSD for $120pp (adult) which included the dive/equipment, round trip transportation, use of beach and chair after dive. The dive was $100 and the transportation was $20.

For the kids, it was $80 per kid plus $20pp transportation.

Then the non-diver (Billy) was a $30 package ($20 for transportation and $10 for...I thought they said a drink or two, I can't remember). Kam was free. So $617.50 later and we were booked and I was excited to be diving West Bay!

We made it up and over the hill at the taxi stand and found our driver holding the Bananarama sign. We were in the van and pulling out at 9:48am. Docking in Mahogany Bay makes us the furthest port from West Bay.

PB151487%20copy-L.jpg

I would snap pics along the way of course.

PB151494%20copy-L.jpg

I always try to sit in a seat by the window so that I can take pictures. If it's a window that will open, even better.

I picked a spot by the window and directly behind the driver. It was super hot in the van and it got so bad I started complaining (which I usually never do). The driver adjusted the a/c and it got worse. I was trying to mess with the controls to the a/c on the ceiling for the back but nothing was working. My legs were ON FIRE! I reached down and there was heat coming from down there. Oh my gosh...like seriously bad. I put my bag down on the floor and put my feet up on the bag. While it gave some relief, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I finally got up and said I was moving back a seat and then I seen the culprit...the heater.

PB151489%20copy-L.jpg

I said out loud that if we had to take this van with the heat turned on full blast, I would protest for another van/driver. But at least I wasn't having it thrown directly on my feet now and I opened up the windows for some fresh air.

We passed by the airport...

PB151497%20copy-L.jpg

Rent a car for those of you that would dare take on driving on these roads.

PB151495%20copy-L.jpg

Where we ever going to get there? This driver was Slow with a Capital S. Like we were creeping with traffic behind us and passing us. What was the deal? Did this van not go any faster? I don't get it. I have taken a lot of taxi's in my day and they drive like they are trying out for a NASCAR position. This one was in a snail race.

I need one of those hammocks!

PB151501%20copy-L.jpg

I remember a story about this airplane the last time we went out this way to West Bay and I believe the driver was telling us that someone bought this plane and was going to do something to it to make it into a restaurant. Then it never happened. It looks like it has deteriorated since then.

PB151503%20copy-L.jpg

Then our driver pulls up here...did we need a car wash or what? This thing might fall apart.

PB151507%20copy-L.jpg

I was secretly hoping they were going to find a way to turn this heat off. But no, instead, we had a flat tire. Ahhh, that's why we were going so slow. I told the hubby that it's diet time for him since it was on his side of the van.

PB151508%20copy-L.jpg

I guess this is the way they work on vehicles...Make a ramp with a hole under it.

PB151510%20copy-L.jpg

Then we were off again...only just as slow as it was before. Obviously a low tire was not the issue.

We hit the area that I remember being really nice. Before, the driver was telling us about the "rich" people living there and what they did for a living. I remember houses being built. This driver said NOTHING.

PB151506%20copy-L.jpg

PB151514%20copy-L.jpg

PB151519%20copy-L.jpg

This picture I was attempting to get a picture of the truck that was a few cars ahead of us. If you look closely, there are 2 people in the bed of the truck and they both have machine guns.

PB151523%20copy-L.jpg

Passing the school.

PB151525%20copy-L.jpg

PB151526%20copy-L.jpg

PB151527%20copy-L.jpg

This hotel had huge sea shells on the balconies as decorations.

PB151529%20copy-L.jpg

A speed bump. Like these are needed on these streets. The streets had pot holes everywhere and our driver went even slower and was not good at dodging them. I noticed a lot of streets that had pot holes and had mud packed in them. However, they were being washed out by the rain...so what good does that do?

PB151524%20copy-L.jpg

PB151530%20copy-L.jpg

PB151532%20copy-L.jpg

We had finally arrived. It was over an hour drive there. I do NOT remember it being that long. I'm pretty sure it wasn't. After that ride, I swore I would never come back here again...at least not when docked at Mahogany Bay.

PB151537%20copy-L.jpg

Hey at least it was nice and sunny out!

We immediately checked in with the staff and I was so excited but yet nervous as well.

PB151538%20copy-L.jpg

PB151540%20copy-L.jpg

They put a wristband on Billy and showed him and Kam to the bar. We sat down and started filling out paperwork.

PB151541%20copy-L.jpg

PB151539%20copy-L.jpg

The instructor for the kids started going over everything with them and answering questions and asking questions.

PB151542%20copy-L.jpg

We met the girl that was going to be our instructor. Man did she look young. The owners (I think) are from Utah maybe? They came here and then later bought this place. I believe our instructor was also from Utah and came over to do her certification and stayed or something like that. There was another instructor or helper that would be with us that day and she was an exchange dive student, I believe also from Utah, and she came down to be certified and was also supposed to be here for a few weeks and loved it so much that she's dragging out her stay and has been here for months now. She doesn't want to return.

At one point I went out and checked on Billy and Kam and I wanted to see the beach.

PB151544%20copy-L.jpg

PB151545%20copy-L.jpg

The bar:

PB151543%20copy-L.jpg

The restaurant area:

PB151547%20copy-L.jpg

Really enjoying your review, and especially your pictures.

Since we are to do the Magic, you never know what kind of questions I might ask here.:)

I believe I saw the miniature golf area? If so, is the hot dog stand in the same area, or another deck? I can eat hamburgers, but I am really a hot dog fan.:)

PB151546%20copy-L.jpg

Scubagirl needed a pic...once again...something is wrong with her. (If you haven't figured it out yet, her goggles are on upside down). LOL I imagine her seal isn't going to be too great. Hopefully she knows how to clear her mask.

PB151914%20copy-L.jpg

So then a very nice gentleman came over to talk to us about the dive. He informed us that we would not be diving West Bay. Say what???? Why??? That's the only reason I came here. He said the water was too choppy and unsafe and we would be going over to the other side of the island and diving where the water is calm. Ok, I'm all for calm but I had my heart sat on West Bay and the Eel Garden. I'm also all for safety, so I guess I was ok with it...until he dropped a bomb on us. "You'll be going out by boat and diving". UM NO!! NO WE WILL NOT! NO DEFINITELY WE WILL NOT! I explained to him our anxiety with diving, how it takes a long time to get used to the water, we need to be standing on our feet until then and we only picked their place because it was a shore dive. I explained how we had originally planned on diving in Costa Maya but then found out that you could only do boat dives. Absolutely not!

He talked to me about it for a really long time. He was very calming and informative. He also said that "if" we decided we didn't want to then we did have the option of doing a shore dive from the site we get on the boat to go out to dive, but they had a lot of rain lately and it's going to be murky/muddy looking. It's going to be hard to see. We would have to do our skills there and then swim out past the buoys to scuba and it wasn't going to be the greatest scuba diving experience. He also explained that if we did it that way, we would not be diving with the kids. If we dove by boat then the kids would be with us.

He wants us to go by boat to a place called the "Cave". Wait...no caves for me. That would freak me out. He said it was just called that. The boat dive would be a great place, not too deep, and there's a ......WALL! Wait, stop again. If you are trying to comfort me and talk me into this, telling me about a wall is not going to do it. I'm petrified of walls.

He told us to get ready and it was a 5 minute drive over to the area and then we would discuss it more after I seen it.

Then we discovered Sakari had no mermaid tail. They had us put all of our things behind their counter in their storage area and no bright yellow and orange bag to be found. When Sakari was questioned, she didn't remember grabbing it out of the cab van. Oh no!!!! He said he would call the driver and have him look for it. Sakari was heartbroken and (so was I) I reminded her that she needed to be more responsible.

I then told Kendra what was going on. She instantly went into panic mode as well.

They did not go over anything with us as far as our skills or a class. We were fitted for wet suits and then we piled in 2 vehicles. We were in a truck with the guy who had been talking to me and the instructors were in the bed of the truck. Kendra and the kids were in a car.

PB151549%20copy-L.jpg

It was actually a 12 minute drive to were we were going and it was called Flowers Bay. All of a sudden it started raining. The girls in the back were screaming and laughing. I ask if they wanted to squeeze inside with us and they said no.

We pulled up along the side of the road and we all piled out. The girls were carrying the tanks and equipment (these girls looked like they were about 100# and not sure how they manhandled all this equipment). The guy told me to "come" and he would show me around and explain everything and let me decide what we would do.

He was seriously the nicest guy ever and so calming. He told me that the boat ride was about 5 minutes away and just down a ways from there. They are real close to the land. There would be a wall, but we didn't have to go out there. When we got in the water, we could use the ladder. When we did our skills check off we could either hold on to the ladder and do them, hold onto a rope and do them, or even have the instructor hold us up and do them. He explained after that, we would use the rope to slowly go down to the ocean floor. He told me how simple it was and how patient our instructor was. I begged for him to take us. (lol) but he couldn't that day.

I threw caution to the wind and said "oh what the hell, let's do this...boat and all".

We waited on the dock while the girls got our things together and lined up. It has stopped raining.

PB151550%20copy-L.jpg

We each had our spot with everything set up from fins to tanks to bsd...everything. All we had to do was get on and sit in our assigned spot.

PB151551%20copy-L.jpg

We piled in the boat and instantly Kendra and I went into an entirely different state of mind. Not a good one either. Off we went for our dive.

PB151552%20copy-L.jpg

Hi Kim,

I have been silently following since the start and it has turned out to be another amazing review. Thanks!

I am thrilled to be introduced to Kam, what a doll! The first picture in the review of her Sakari showed their resemblance so much.

It seems B has matured and Kendra’s family and yours of course, is beautiful.

Now I am on pins and needles suspecting beautiful Sakari has a broken arm or something and she is about to be going Scuba diving. Yikes.

Anxiously awaiting more

PB150010%20copy-L.jpg

I don't remember what they were talking about here, but obviously everyone had forgotten their troubles and was laughing.

PB151553%20copy-L.jpg

It was really a short boat ride to where we were going and really close to the land.

PB151554%20copy-L.jpg

PB151556%20copy-L.jpg

PB151555%20copy-L.jpg

This is where we docked.

PB151557%20copy-L.jpg

Now I really don't understand this. The above picture is where we docked. You see how close the land is right? Well they pointed toward the land and said "right there is the wall". Um, how can a wall be right there? Right by the land? They were right but still it's weird. You couldn't see the land that close from under water, but the wall was right there.

Once we stopped the boat and "parked", Andrea started going over our skills we would do with her and explaining the area. It took a little while. Kendra started talking about getting sick from all the rocking of the boat. I suspect that she was just making excuses and was scared. This is what she did in St Thomas. Complained about her mask leaking and having issues when really it was her nerves. Now...she was getting sea sick. Kendra and Billy own boats, we go boating in the summer, riding jet skis, and tubing. Stop trying to convince me that you are sick from being on the boat. Seriously?

After going over the details, Andrea (our instructor) geared up and did a back flip off the boat as we watched.... and shouted "no way we are doing that".

PB151558%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra was still complaining about getting sick with the boat rocking and they told her to hurry and get in the water. She did...followed by me, the kids, then the hubby. The hubby kept looking at me and saying "are you ok?" "are you sure?". I was fine...so far.

I took this time to just put my head under the water and get use to my breathing while everyone else got in. I looked around. I could see tons of coral and fish way down there. It was too far to really see clearly or get pictures, but I could see it! I concentrated on what was to come. I came up a few times and then back down. I held on to the rope for dear life and the few times I let go, the instructor pushed it toward me.

The kids went toward the front of the boat with their instructor and did their skills. We were in the back of the boat. It was time to do our skills and I was the first to go...oh dear.

Yay!! I've been super excited for this review, as we have the Magic booked for May (Eastern though). I was even more excited when we learned about Kam! I am contemplating taking my almost 4-yr old son on the cruise with us (me and my 2 friends, who are both moms). He is full of energy and often needs to work on his "listening skills", so I'm not quite sure he'll be ready just yet. So I'm looking forward to hear how Kam did, especially handling the crowds and the ship!

For the taxis, did she just sit with you or on your laps?

You really could turn this into a novel! I have it open all day on my desk at work. I do a task and then come back and refresh hoping to find out if you survived. I feel like there is a good chance you did, since you are writing this review after the events. But since I can't be positive, I don't want to lose to much focus by wasting time on work!!

I held on to the rope and let the air out of my bsd. I was struggling to stay down. When I would let go of the rope, I would float back up. I was a little frustrated. I took the regulator out of my mouth and put it back in and purged it. I got the ok sign and high five. I took the regular out and threw it over my shoulder, swoop and retrieved it and put it back in my mouth and purged. High five. Now it was time to clear my mask. I never have a problem with this. I do it all the time...sometimes even snorkeling. I did it with no problems...however, drip, drip, drip...right into my eyes. UGH! Feel the burn. I have a lot of problems with my eyes. I have had several surgeries with the most recent one back in the summer. I'm a very slow healer and what was supposed to take someone 1 week to have their site back took me 3+ months. I'm "over protective" of my eyes. I have NEVER in my life opened my eyes up in the water...not even in a pool. Now I had salt water in my eyes. I'm blinking, thoughts are racing in my head, what do I do? Oh hell, I'm basically at the surface I might as well just come up and clear it out of my eyes. Up I went followed by my instructor. I cleared my mask, rubbed my eyes until they didn't burn anymore...all while realizing that had this happened while under water diving, I would not be able to do this and I think I would have eventually been fine. But, like I said, I was at the surface, so what why not.

Next up for skills was Kendra...still complaining of being sick. Andrea told her, if you get sick under water, just throw up and purge. The look on her face. LOL Kendra made up every excuse in the book. She was sea sick. She felt like throwing up. Her mask wasn't fitting right. They stayed on the boat too long.

So it was her turn and she started doing the steps...then stumbled on the face mask. I knew it. She had water in her eyes and shot up instantly and threw the mask off.

PB151563%20copy-L.jpg

Then this started...

g7Ngp9q11iw

PB151569%20copy-L.jpg

PB151570%20copy-L.jpg

That added more frustration to Kendra's situation and things escalated. Andrea said just relax and take a deep breath. Kendra was so frustrated and heated already and worked up the only thing that came out of her mouth is "how the hell am I supposed to relax! Stop telling me to relax! I can't relax!" Oooohhhh boy. Then those dreaded words..."I'm not doing it. I'm done!" Sigh. I really don't feel like she gave it enough time. Honestly she didn't. She started saying she felt sick again but yet wanted back on the boat and gave up. If the boat made you sick from the rocking...why would you opt to go back on the boat for more rocking? Because that was just an excuse...that's why!

Kendra had one of my cameras.

This would be the 2 pictures she took that day.

One of the kids over with their instructor.

PB150001%20copy-L.jpg

And then this...which I'll just assume she accidentally took during one of her panic moments.

PB150002%20copy-L.jpg

So Kendra swam back to the boat in an upset pissed off mood because she just couldn't get the hang of it and the hubby proceeded to do his skills...with no problems of course. Well...except he lost a flipper (fin). They had to go down and retrieve it and put it back on for him. Oops.

PB151559%20copy-L.jpg

PB151560%20copy-L.jpg

PB151562%20copy-L.jpg

Before long, the kids seemed to drift away and were off in the distance.

PB151564%20copy-L.jpg

We had 1 diver down. There was now only the four of us and 3 instructors. Wait...there's wasn't four of us, the kids had already went down and left. ***! We were all supposed to go together and they are gone.

So, I didn't get a chance to get pictures of the kids diving and would have to rely on Sakari's "selfies".

I will start the next portion of the review with JUST Sakari's experience and just her pictures since we were not together and they are two separate stories now.

They took off and here are some of her pictures along the way.

Her least favorite thing in the ocean and the one thing that makes her not want to dive...

PB150012%20copy-L.jpg

PB150015%20copy-L.jpg

Her instructor:

PB150011%20copy-L.jpg

PB150016%20copy-L.jpg

PB150017%20copy-L.jpg

You will notice A LOT of white coral. It is bleached out. It was everywhere. It was sad but looked really cool underwater. It almost looked as if it was glowing when you were down there. They said they had a very hot summer and that caused a lot of the coral to bleach out but it would come back later. The sun is what bleaches it out and hopefully it will come back (more than likely since it is in the ocean), but when my coral at home, once it bleaches out...I've lost it. Boo!

PB150019%20copy-L.jpg

PB150018%20copy-L.jpg

PB150021%20copy-L.jpg

PB150055%20copy-L.jpg

PB150056%20copy-L.jpg

PB150061%20copy-L.jpg

PB150065%20copy-L.jpg

PB150067%20copy-L.jpg

PB150068%20copy-L.jpg

THEN SHE SEEN THIS....

I'm going to leave you in suspense now. It's time for Sakari's scuba diving class tonight. Hint...this fish is something I have never seen in the ocean yet, something I have always wanted to see and look for all the time, and I want one in my tank!

That Olympus TG-4 takes good pictures out of water and under water doesnt it? I take it most of the out of water pictures your posting where taken with it? nice sharp vivid colors. I have the TG-4 also and now the new TG-5. Had to get another because wife claimed it as hers after our last cruise and saw how good it takes pictures so now for our next cruise in April to western Caribbean on Glory we bought a another Olympus TG camera. We even got the lens cap adapter for them so we can use a lens cap and filters. Makes me nervous with an exposed lens and nothing to protect it from getting scratched when not using it. Yes its still waterproof with the lens cap adapter if your considering one. My other camera isnt too shore excursion friendly when it comes to water. I also have a Nikon D5200 DSLR with several lenses. It usually stays on the ship. But now wife and I have our own waterproof Olympus cameras. Cant wait to take more snorkeling photos at West bay in Roatan next April. Awesome pictures though.

I took this last time we were in Roatan with our Olympus TG-4. I've had several requests of the digital file so they can make a print or use it for computer desktop back ground.

26467174580_64ce07a6ca_h.jpgWest bay beach Roatan Island by Brad Hugo, on Flickr

THEN SHE SEEN THIS....

I'm going to leave you in suspense now. It's time for Sakari's scuba diving class tonight. Hint...this fish is something I have never seen in the ocean yet, something I have always wanted to see and look for all the time, and I want one in my tank!

Lion fish?????:eek: