Ultra Beverage Program is a Ripoff

lcpagejr

I️ am perfectly aware of how the dictionary defines unlimited: “not limited in terms of quantity”. And that is the perfect definition here. Now let’s hear your definition and how it does not apply? Sounds like you are here just to argue.

Just as you have found a definition which fits your view (or maybe just cut it short at a convenient point) it’s easy to find others that also refer to extent as well as quantity. By those definitions, the UBP isn’t unlimited as there are some drinks which aren’t included, and there is a price limit as well.

However, a beverage package on a cruise ship, by those definitions, cannot possibly be unlimited, as there are drinks which are unavailable due to not physically being on the ship.

Which inevitably leads us to the conclusion that people are trying to apply literal definitions to what is essentially corporate marketing speak, which really isn’t a good route to go down.

Anyway, wasn’t it decided a few pages ago that it was actually called the “ultimate” beverage package? If so, I don’t think we need too many dictionaries before we decide that it doesn’t literally fit that definition either.

It all reminds me a little of the review I read here a few years ago where someone was complaining that the staff weren’t all Norwegian. I laughed at them as well.

Edited by KeithJenner

Just as you have found a definition which fits your view (or maybe just cut it short at a convenient point) it’s easy to find others that also refer to extent as well as quantity. By those definitions, the UBP isn’t unlimited as there are some drinks which aren’t included, and there is a price limit as well.

However, a beverage package on a cruise ship, by those definitions, cannot possibly be unlimited, as there are drinks which are unavailable due to not physically being on the ship.

Which inevitably leads us to the conclusion that people are trying to apply literal definitions to what is essentially corporate marketing speak, which really isn’t a good route to go down.

What you are missing is the fact that the Unlimited term applies to “drinks under $15, yada yada yada”. Of course there are terms and conditions. What? Do you want the unlimited to cover your spa treatments as well? That’s silly. Within the terms you can have as many drinks as you want and that is 100% Unlimited no matter how you or Swedish dude tries to spin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you are missing is the fact that the Unlimited term applies to “drinks under $15, yada yada yada”. Of course there are terms and conditions. What? Do you want the unlimited to cover your spa treatments as well? That’s silly. Within the terms you can have as many drinks as you want and that is 100% Unlimited no matter how you or Swedish dude tries to spin it.

With your vast knowledge, why did you ask me for an explanation???

I can't help if you know more than those who publish dictionaries.

You just want to argue!!!!!

Terrible thread title.

It is not a rip-off.

Some people may feel it is too expensive, and that is a very valid opinion.

As to what Princess or Carnival charge.. huh? How about Seabourn - all drinks are free. No charge. No gratuity. Why not sail with them?

Rip off? Come on.

Free should be free with no extra charge

Some of the comments on this thread (and so many like it) are a bit mind boggling.

Have you never seen advertisements and offers from cruise lines, airlines, car rental companies, cable or satellite television companies, gym memberships, weight loss programs, blah, blah, blah? Free shipping on your online purchases? Yea, if you spend over 50 bucks on their site.

It's marketing babble, all of it.

Caveat Emptor. Read the fine print, it's not that difficult.

Vacation planning and the cruise is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Chill out and act accordingly.

True. But you would still tip a server if they comped your meal right?

Interesting question. Are the servers in Cagney's and the other "paid" restaurants covered by the DSC?

I've been told on this board that people tip them...but as a new platinum and now entitled to these meals...I don't think I would have tipped. I would have assumed that it was the same thing as MDR servers.

I don't tip at the Latitudes party or the art auctions.

Please note...I didn't say I wasn't going to tip. Just wondering if they are covered by the DSC.

Interesting question. Are the servers in Cagney's and the other "paid" restaurants covered by the DSC?

I've been told on this board that people tip them...but as a new platinum and now entitled to these meals...I don't think I would have tipped. I would have assumed that it was the same thing as MDR servers.

EDIT: thought about it some more...

I believe that they are included in the DSC.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

With your vast knowledge, why did you ask me for an explanation???

I can't help if you know more than those who publish dictionaries.

You just want to argue!!!!!

You are the one that told me too look the definition up in the dictionary. And I️ assure you I’m not arguing. Was just trying to understand where you are coming from and you obviously aren’t trying to elaborate. So have a good night.

Please note...I didn't say I wasn't going to tip. Just wondering if they are covered by the DSC.

The specialties have a 18% gratuity added to the bill or added to the package price.

I’m not sure, I still give them a bit extra anyways, both MDR servers and in the specialties.

I was more referring to the fact that on land for example if you were given a free meal you should still tip your server so why do people get mad about having to pay gratuities on free drinks.

I'm still thinking about this and the more I read, the more my answer changes. :eek:

I just read that "An 18% gratuity will automatically be added to guest's accounts for dining options and spa treatments not included in the cruise fare."

So that makes me think that they aren't included since specialty restaurants aren't included in the cruise fare. That kinda makes sense since people who don't go to specialty restaurants shouldn't have their DSC given to specialty staff just as people (who don't have a butler/concierge) shouldn't have the DSC go to the butler/concierge. Some restaurant staff work both the MDR and the specialty restaurants so I have no idea how that works.

I tip both DSC and non-DSC staff if I feel like it.

Is there a gratuity automatically added even when they use a platinum voucher?

Not with the platinum meal. As with the SDP, you are given a zeroed out bill at the end, with no gratuity charged on the value of the meal.

Not with the platinum meal. As with the SDP, you are given a zeroed out bill at the end, with no gratuity charged on the value of the meal.

Yes but with the SDP you have already paid the gratuity.

Just to be absolutely clear, as you seem to have missed my point. I am not spinning anything, I am a neutral in this argument. I don’t care what the dictionary definition of unlimited is and how it applies to the UBP. I just drink the drinks and enjoy them.

I am not joining in this crazy argument, I am laughing at it.

Yes...those servers ARE covered by the DSC. This has been previously discussed on these forums and has been verified by HD's on the ships. They benefit from the DSC, they benefit from the automatic gratuity, and they benefit from people leaving cash tips. It is an incentive to the worker to take the specialty restaurant position.

I think what is "missing" is the fact that the word is "ultimate" and not "unlimited". As a matter of fact, the word "unlimited" only appears one single time in the Terms & Conditions of the program:

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

That one use ONLY indicates "unlimited fountain soda and juices". If you really think there is no limit, then try sitting at a bar onboard ordering drink after drink after drink in quick succession (remember, nothing REQUIRES you to consume the drink, you only need to order it)...watch and see how long it is before it is explained to you that you simply can't have "unlimited" drinks.

I think what is "missing" is the fact that the word is "ultimate" and not "unlimited".

That fact isn’t missing at all. It was discussed a few pages back, and I also made it in the very post that the one you quoted was responding to.

That fact isn’t missing at all. It was discussed a few pages back, and I also made it in the very post that the one you quoted was responding to.

Sorry, but that fact IS missing. The word "unlimited" was, in fact, used by the poster that I quoted (3 different times) and was referring to in my post. That person even tried to imply that the word was used in the T&C to apply to drinks under $15, when it clearly does not.

Sorry, but that fact IS missing. The word "unlimited" was, in fact, used by the poster that I quoted (3 different times) and was referring to in my post. That person even tried to imply that the word was used in the T&C to apply to drinks under $15, when it clearly does not.

Yeah, it is certainly missed by some of the posters. I was just clarifying that it has been discussed in this thread.

Yes, but I think post #42 indicates that it doesn't need to be clarified on my behalf.

Good point. :)

Although I suspect I’m not the only person who doesn’t review the entire thread before every post to check exactly what each person has said. :)

Good point. :)

Although I suspect I’m not the only person who doesn’t review the entire thread before every post to check exactly what each person has said. :)

Fair point. I can respect that.