Ultra Beverage Program is a Ripoff

lcpagejr

15 drinks is not that hard to do in a day. If it were, then Carnival would not have a reason to implement such a restriction. I️ think you underestimate how many people will reach 15. Consider a couple mimosas/bloodys at breakfast, beers at the pool in the afternoon, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, a drink or two at a show, and then some drinks while gambling. It adds up quick. And with them spread out throughout the day you wouldn’t even be drunk because your body metabolizes about a drink per hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your thinking. Some just have a tendency to overthink things.

They talk about throwing in dining, beverages, internet, excursion, etc as a freebie or a choice of several.

But the beverage fee at $89/day,

If is a FREEBIE how do you say there is a FEE? Yes you pay the Gratuity but that is all; at 20% you would pay $17.80 a day. That is 3 drinks a day!!!!!

If it were only the gratuity it would be a great deal but the truth is that you have to pay anywhere from $200-$500 per person more for a room that has the option of the drink package then you do for the sale-away price without the drink package. So that means that the drink package is actually costing you between $300 and $600. I don’t blame Norwegian Cruise line for trying to get as much profit as they can but the consumer should be aware and do the price comparisons to see if it’s really the best deal for them. I usually spend between $200 and $300 on my sale and sign account so if I can get the free drink package for no more than $150/person more than what the sale away balcony costs then with gratuity it would cost $250/person which I would consider a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This isn't my first cruise nor is NCL the only cruise line I have been on. I'm familiar and $140 a day for all that is included would be a steal for any vacation. Most decent hotels that may or may not serve you a continental breakfast are more expensive than that.

Let's put it another way. The advertised cost of the UBP is $623 plus $112.14 for the tips on that for a total of $735.14. Add in the daily service fee of $94.50 and the taxes of approximately $100 and you get a cost of $929.64 or $132.80 per day all in. At that math, my $141 per day price is a screaming deal.

Thanks for your concern though.

You are welcome, but a large TA is advertising the Epic in Jan 2018 without the FREEBIES for $499.

I hope this puts things in the proper perspective.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

You are welcome, but a large TA is advertising the Epic in Jan 2018 without the FREEBIES for $499.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Purely out of interest, what cabin type is that? Can you select your cabin, and what options are there for higher category cabins.

I’ve not looked at these in any detail for a while, but it often used to be the case that if you have cabin preferences then these rates without promos aren’t really relevant.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I just checked that out. It is for a double occupancy interior guarantee. For a solo traveler which I am, the cost jumped up to $790 before the daily service charge which is currently $97.93 for an actual total of $887.93 or $126.84 a day. I am paying an additional $15 dollars a day to get the beverage package. Again, a good deal.

I hope that puts things in the proper perspective.

I will be enjoying my cruise with a drink in my hand.

I don't need to explain. NCL DOES THAT WITH THE TERM "RESTRICTIONS APPLY"

Read that and you will understand.

I️ have read it and as far as I️ am aware the restrictions have nothing to do with it not being Unlimited. If you can provide any evidence otherwise then that would be appreciated. There are restrictions on the dollar amount of the drink or the package doesn’t apply to tastings, bottles of wine, mini bar etc. but certainly it is Unlimited. Nice try though.

I just checked that out. It is for a double occupancy interior guarantee. For a solo traveler which I am, the cost jumped up to $790 before the daily service charge which is currently $97.93 for an actual total of $887.93 or $126.84 a day. I am paying an additional $15 dollars a day to get the beverage package. Again, a good deal.

I hope that puts things in the proper perspective.

I will be enjoying my cruise with a drink in my hand.

Since your goal posts are moveable, we will put two people in the inside cabin. We will smuggle some booze, and cruise for half your price with drinks in our hands. Also we can remove the DSC for additional savings.

The unlimited beverage package is a myth . Free items on NCL are also myths.

Enjoy your cruise.:cool:

I️ have read it and as far as I️ am aware the restrictions have nothing to do with it not being Unlimited. If you can provide any evidence otherwise then that would be appreciated. There are restrictions on the dollar amount of the drink or the package doesn’t apply to tastings, bottles of wine, mini bar etc. but certainly it is Unlimited. Nice try though.

Must be modern math calculations. The definition of unlimited is distorted somehow.

Since your goal posts are moveable,

I don’t see any moveable goalposts.

The price that was initially quoted was for a solo, so can’t be compared to the price for a couple. The comparison that Shayhooper has made looks entirely valid to me, with goalposts firmly fixed.

You can look at it each way.

Regarding quantity, the package is unlimited. You can drink all day every day if you want without any limits on quantity. Some people would suggest that justifies any claims that it is “unlimited”.

However, there are limits to what products you can drink. You can’t get coffee or bottles of wine for example. Some would claim that this makes the term “unlimited” invalid.

In my opinion, there are merits to both points of view.

Of course, all the while there are people (on whatever side of the argument) who are just on output, the argument is pointless because it just turns into people restating their opinion over and over without any possibility of any opinions changing.

Which tells us far more about the people arguing than it does about the beverage package, I suppose.

If nothing else, it’s very entertaining for the neutral observer. :)

Since your goal posts are moveable, we will put two people in the inside cabin. We will smuggle some booze, and cruise for half your price with drinks in our hands. Also we can remove the DSC for additional savings.

The unlimited beverage package is a myth . Free items on NCL are also myths.

Enjoy your cruise.:cool:

How are my goal posts moving? I am speaking about my trip which I am taking solo on Epic next month. I am comparing apples to apples as it applies to my situation and, as I have said several times, it is a good deal.

As a person who has perhaps one glass of wine a month, the UDP is not worthwhile and especially costly to me as I usually only go on longer cruises (14 days+).I did the math for our next spring TA cruise and we decided to NOT take all of the freebies and just go with a GTY oceanview. The room was assigned within a few days and is a nice full window room in a good location and worth more than two times our GTY cost.

As a Platinum member, I get two free specialty dinners and a bottle of wine and a bottle of sparkling wine. So, I can have an occasional glass of wine if I want. A win-win for those of us who don't drink much.

Just do the math and know thyself.

I agree and I sail mostly long cruises too. Don't forget the Latitudes Party. Lots of drinks there too.

Carnival Magic vs NCL Escape

7 nights inside cabin

March 3rd 2018

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Carnival Magic 03/03/2018 7 nights out of Port Canaveral

4A-4C inside cabin @ 619 + tax on Early Saver with 50 on-board credit

619.00 + 121.25 taxes x 2 =

1480.50 fare

51.95 x 2 x 7 x 1.15 ( buys CHEERS online in January) ( 15 alcoholic drinks in 24 hr period)

12.95 x 2 x 7 = gratuities

2498.20 = FARE + TIP + DRINKS

= vs =

NCL Escape 03/03/2018 7 nights out of Miami

IX - inside guarantee no perks

599.00 + tax 163.60 x 2

~ option 2 ~

IF inside cabin with UBP:

799.00 + tax 163.60 + 124.60 (UPB charge - Unlimited alcohol if worth $15.00 or less) x 2 =

13.99 x 2 x 7 = gratuities

2370.26 = FARE + TIPS + DRINKS

127.94 Cheaper and more booze on NCL Escape ....

Advantage NCL on this one

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see anywhere Shayhooper say's it's the cheapest cruise or cheapest vacation you can get.

Next it will be at the Super 8 drinking malt liquor if they think they can one up someone.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

To me this is not a great deal. We have 3 cruises booked on the Epic and 2 of them were booked last January at a price of $549pp for an inside mid ship which we picked on the 12th floor WITH the drink package. Now that is a steal compared to an inside guarantee for $499 without the freebies.

At that price I will book with the "freebies" and happily pay the gratuity.

It works for some, for others it does not.

I do not agree with OP where they state that Carnival and Princess have cheaper programs and where she forgets that Carnival has a 15 drink limit and Princess a 12 drink limit. I would not take their packages because on a 21 day cruise it would cost us approximately $3,000 for the drink package and with NCL promo we paid approximately $600 (gratuities) for 21 days with unlimited drinks.

Must be modern math calculations. The definition of unlimited is distorted somehow.

Would you please explain? If the terms say that i can have as much beer, wine, cocktails etc under $15 each then how is that not unlimited?

When I first started sailing with NCL a few years ago I would sail during spring break and I was not even able to purchase the beverage package and now that I am able to get it there is no way I would complain. When I go on vacation I have fun and I drink, 3 of us travel together each time and to have 5 or 6 drinks minimum each throughout the day and a bottle or two of wine at dinner and then bottle service on the back of the boat each night we ran up $4,500-$5,000 alcohol bill easily each cruise! $20.00 gratuity is very nice! Go out to a club here in Vegas and for 3 shots and 3 drinks it is over $100.00 per round, Golden Knights hockey game $18.00 per beer and $34.00 per shot... Not sure how anyone could complain about having to pay a few bucks for gratuity.

Would you please explain? If the terms say that i can have as much beer, wine, cocktails etc under $15 each then how is that not unlimited?

The dictionary explains unlimited much better than I can, so I suggest consulting that resource to clarify your confusion.

The dictionary explains unlimited much better than I can, so I suggest consulting that resource to clarify your confusion.

I️ am perfectly aware of how the dictionary defines unlimited: “not limited in terms of quantity”. And that is the perfect definition here. Now let’s hear your definition and how it does not apply? Sounds like you are here just to argue.