Aboard the Seaside LIVE! Not Good!

Sailfish

I've done inaugural maidens on Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Princess. All had their share of problems, with NCL and the inaugural QUANTUM OF THE SEAS crossing probably being the worst. The NORWEGIAN EPIC was a complete disaster in the beginning. In fact she acquired the nickname EPTANIC. It actually took a couple months for her to start running smoothly. On QUANTUM there were tons of technology challenges, from a/c in the cabins to a new order system for the waiters, and an entirely new dining concept (which has since been abandoned). Still I managed to enjoy them all, and sometimes the glitches were part of the fun. It was also interesting to watch it all come together a bit more with each passing day.

We were there on QUANTUM right along with you. What an ordeal!!

Either tonight or tomorrow night (can’t remember) the ship will go on an overnight cruise with a stop at Bimini.

What was halted were the cruises to nowhere, but as long as you make a brief stop at a foreign port I guess everyone is happy.

I don't know if they are even having this cruise. Supposedly the special event people tonight get off tomorrow morning at 9 am. There isn't enough time fro the ship to leave on friday, stop in Bimini, and be back saturday morning

I don't know if they are even having this cruise. Supposedly the special event people tonight get off tomorrow morning at 9 am. There isn't enough time fro the ship to leave on friday, stop in Bimini, and be back saturday morning

Definitely enough time for a brief stop in Bimini (service call only to meet US regulations) and return to Miami by morning. It’s super close to Miami.

This being said I don’t know if they are still planning this or not? Guess we will find out tomorrow when I check the ship’s position.

I was informed of this from one of my buddies in Miami who is part of the industry. He was invited in fact, but had to decline.

Definitely enough time for a brief stop in Bimini (service call only to meet US regulations) and return to Miami by morning. It’s super close to Miami.

This being said I don’t know if they are still planning this or not? Guess we will find out tomorrow when I check the ship’s position.

I was informed of this from one of my buddies in Miami who is part of the industry. He was invited in fact, but had to decline.

Well I don't even see it on the schedule for Bimini, freeport or Nassau for today.

Theyre not traveling between two US ports, I dont think they need to stop anywhere else.

Theyre not traveling between two US ports, I dont think they need to stop anywhere else.

A couple years back an end was put to the cruises to nowhere. Not sure why but they are no longer legal out of the US. So they have to call at some foreign port, even if just sailing out overnight.

Hope you made it home safe. Thanks for sharing honest details and insights about your TA.

Happy Holidays to you and your family

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in a car by 7am heading home! I have not done so in a long time, but I will post a review later.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

A couple years back an end was put to the cruises to nowhere. Not sure why but they are no longer legal out of the US. So they have to call at some foreign port, even if just sailing out overnight.

The cruises to nowhere were not in compliance with the Jones Act regulations as the ship sails into international waters. My understanding is that for the inaugurals, the port sometimes makes exceptions.

If memory serves, it has something to do with the type of passports the crew members hold.

I wish they came back, I'd so happily do a cruise to nowhere at the drop of a hat...

I used to enjoy the short cruises to nowhere back in the day. Before all the endless security procedures. You basically did a quick check in and walked on the ship. Same with getting off the ship.

Not so easy today. The last overnight cruise to nowhere I did was on the BIMINI SUPERFAST in 2013. It was soon after that cruises to nowhere were halted from the US. Anyway the hassle factor was too high. Security at the terminal, lines to check in, security picture, issuing the cruise card, registering your credit card, the usual first day boarding chaos on the ship, and next thing you know we were back in Miami early the next day. Even though no one got off the ship, we were still required to go through US Customs and immigration. So long waits to get off the ship. That little cruise was a freebie, but honestly it wasn’t worth it.

Back to SEASIDE, I’ve now been informed that absolutely the ship will be making a short technical stop at Bimini sometime during the night. Apparently being a non-revenue cruise doesn’t exempt the ship from adherence to US requirements. I’ve been watching the ships position on MarineTraffic, and she has been sailing around Bimini at around 8 knots but hasn’t stopped yet.

I was aboard the Dec 22 one night cruise and got off this morning. We were scheduled to pull out at 5 PM but didn't until 6:15 PM. If it went to Bimini , I didn't know it. It was in Port of Miami early this morning. Seaside is a beautiful ship. The one night events went very smoothly. It will take a little time to work out the coordination of the employees. Also, many of the staff are Italian. They speak English but need time to master it.

Also, many of the staff are Italian. They speak English but need time to master it.

This is one of the things I love about MSC. It reminds me of the old Italian Line, Sitmar, and Home Lines. Great Italian hospitality. I especially felt this way when I sailed on MSC OPERA several years ago. It really had that Sitmar and Home Lines feeling. So many Italian crew and pretty much all Italian officers. Now MSC has become more International like most cruise lines. So less of that nostalgic feeling but still I enjoy what is left of it.

We are on the the maiden voyage of the Seaside from Barcelona to Miami.* After ten days on the ship we have decided to share some of our experiences and impressions.*

The ship is large, capacity about 5200 passengers, but because it is compartmentalized and generally has standard height ceilings, it does not have the grand interior appearance of other large ships.* There are some nice features, like the multi-story video screen in the atrium, and the chocolate bar with surrounding shops, but nothing like the interior shopping promenades on RC or Celebrity.

The vertical layout of the ship makes it somewhat difficult to move about.* For example, the buffet on deck sixteen blocks access to the specialty restaurants from the midship (primary) elevators.* Also views from the the bow of the ship are entirely blocked to all passenger except those with Yacht Club Status. This will disappoint those who want to view island approaches, dolphin watch*

or enjoy the wind in your face "Titanic experience".**

Movement is also encumbered by the predominant use of mirrors, glass and chromed metal surfaces throughout the public areas.* I have already witnessed several passenger walk into mirrors and glass panes, and at the risk of sounding lame, I have had had several near misses myself.* The decor is visually confusing, and reminiscent of an airport terminal.* Those who are fans of the classic decor of the MSC Devina, marble floors and sculpted plaster walls, and intimate spaces are likely to be disappointed by the Seaside.

Some good things; the outdoor pools, the spa and fitness areas, and the childrens' areas are*

quite nice, although MSC is still working out some kinks.* The entire walkthrough deck around the waterslides and children's pool is flooded when in use, which reslults in wet and slippery floors in the elevators and interior of the ship. The kids' arcade is also top notch, with a bowling alley and Formula 1 simulator.

The food in the Asian and Seafood specialty restaurants is quite good.* The formal night dinners in the complimentary restaurants have also been good.* The nightly dinner menus and service are spotty.* I believe that MSC has "Americanized" the menu, meaning larger portions and lower quality.* Sigh.**

Speaking of service, I'm certain that our sailing is understaffed.* Breakfast, lunch and dinner service is sometimes good, but often very slow.* Over easy and soft poached eggs are often hard boiled. Veggies are generally overcooked.* Plating is sometimes sloppy.* Waiters and head waiters often respond, "that's perfectly ok!" Ask for a non-standard plate or tell them you are allergic to* something, in my case mushy succotash, and you are likely to get a fresher plate.*

When we boarded* the ship our room was mostly made, but the carpet in the room and the hallway was dirty with debris, as if it had not been vacuumed since the ships construction, including the previous weeks sailing.* On day 2 our room still was not made or cleaned, 27 hours after embarkation.* We sat through a very long line of disgruntled guests to request assistance.* Day 4, we reported again that our hallway and room had never been vacuumed.* Day 5, I borrowed an abandoned vacuum from the hallway and cleaned our cabin carpet, as well a the hall carpet in front of our room.* I reported for a third time to Guest Services. Day 9, I reported to Guest Services that our room was not vacuumed since I had cleaned on day 5, and that our hallway was full of debris and dust bunnies. I suggested that the Hotel Director was not doing his job and that many passengers were equally unhappy.* I also confirmed a rumour that we had heard that the primary dinner buffet would be closed for the remainder of the cruise.* I requested that my automatic gratuities be halted, so that I could tip as warranted.* The Guest Services representative took some offense that I would question the Hotel Director and his staff, and promptly pushed all of the blame back to our room steward...even though the entire ship is* unkempt, including dirty carpets and handrails, and leaking public toilets and plumbing* on almost every floor, often left unattended.*

When we returned to the room the primary steward paid a call.* "What's the problem?" Our reply, "just look."* Evidently passing the buck is a common practice on MSC. Soon after, we received a second visit from an Assistant Housekeeping Manager and our very humble Room Steward.* They were apologetic and had had no explanation for the dirty conditions or lack of response to previous complaints. By evening our room and our immediate hallway was nicely vacuumed.* Rumor has it that each Room Steward has been assigned 20 rooms to keep clean.* The most I have heard on other ships is 14.* I hope MSC will staff appropriately in Miami, or I anticipate passenger riots.

Otherwise, a lot of the technology on the ship is still not working.* The room is smallish, and the closet is an afterthought.* Our closet door has come off the rails and we've heard several guest say that parts are falling off of their closet doors.**

The entertainment on the ship is still quite good, as we remember from the Davina.* Nice lounge acts, and operatic performances.* Nothing "new" so far, but done very well.

It's clear that the Seaside was forced to sail before it was ready, perhaps by a month.* It is understaffed for this voyage.* We hope, for the sake of all those sailing on the maiden Miami cruise over the holidays, that there will be significant improvement in the next seven days. Cross your fingers.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

I thought of you as I walked around the ship on Thursday and completely got the issue with the mirror walls And how you could walk into them!

We had issues finding our way around the ship. And we couldn’t figure out how to go from that buffet area on the upper deck to the specialty restaurants so walked down walked forward and eventuallly found our way but up a deck.

I also agree about the closets. We were just there for the one night but I was surprised at the last of closet space and storage. We were in a balcony cabin on 12.

I thought of you as I walked around the ship on Thursday and completely got the issue with the mirror walls And how you could walk into them!

We had issues finding our way around the ship. And we couldn’t figure out how to go from that buffet area on the upper deck to the specialty restaurants so walked down walked forward and eventuallly found our way but up a deck.

I also agree about the closets. We were just there for the one night but I was surprised at the last of closet space and storage. We were in a balcony cabin on 12.

There actually is a door way in the back of the buffet on 16 that opens into the steak house. We were led through by buffet staff who saw we were lost the first day. But technically, you have to go down one deck and go back up to access the specialty restaurants.

So far we are pleased with the aft cabin 14262, storage space is very good. The actual cabin is quite roomy, the bathroom has a shower you could have a party in lol, the TV is what some people will think is small but any bigger and it would block the rear view window, the curtains for this window are interesting, you gently pull the right hand side one and they close automatically.