No Gibraltar calls to ex Southampton in 2019.

crows nest club

After many previous years, I notice that Princess have dropped Gibraltar from their round trip Southamptin cruises in 2019. Seems they have substituted Ceuta in Morocco. Gibraltar was a great port for obtaining lowest duty free prices in the Med for UK cruisers.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Forums mobile app

After many previous years, I notice that Princess have dropped Gibraltar from their round trip Southamptin cruises in 2019. Seems they have substituted Ceuta in Morocco. Gibraltar was a great port for obtaining lowest duty free prices in the Med for UK cruisers.

Cable car to top of the Rock, visiting the Barbara Apes Den on the the way. St Michael's Cave. Europa Point and lighthouse. The Great Siege Tunnels and lastly the Gibraltar Museum.

Four of us on the Royal's TA this year found Gibraltar a very interesting stop and would recommend it to everyone.

From what I gather, once BREXIT is completed there will be no benefit for ex-Southampton cruises to call at a non-EU "tax haven" port such as Gibraltar. I presume all passengers, even UK citizens, will have to go through Customs procedures when returning from the EU at that point.

Cruises starting or ending on the Continent (especially Spain) will still call at Gibraltar (or Tunisia or Montenegro or Turkey) in order to be able to open their duty-free shops..

At the moment Brexit is a nightmare in the UK. Nobody (even Theresa May) seems to know what is the final outcome! Would be surprised if anyone in USA Princess has factored this into 2019 itineraries. At the moment Gibraltar is one of British Overseas Territories and this will obviously have to be considered when Brexit happens. We in the UK just wish someone would tell us EXACTLY what is happening. Lots of water yet to flow through the Stairs if Gibraltar till then - sorry about the pun.

Hope my post doesn't change into a dreaded Brexit discussion.

Thanks anyway, for your thoughts. Will now have a tipple of Gib duty free we bought in May. lol

We were disappointed when we saw the 2019 cruises because we had pegged the Iceland/Ireland itinerary as our retirement cruise, as it included a stop in the lovely port of Oban - home of our favorite single malt. Drat - have to find something else.

• 3 weeks later...
Just to be clear.....Ceuta is part of Spain, not Morocco

I think we might need to point this out to Princess Cruises, too.Their description of Ceuta for shore excursions is decidedly dodgy. This bit:

From 1912 until 1959, the city was also the capital of Spanish Morocco, a colonial protectorate created when France and Spain divided that kingdom during the "Morocco Crisis" of 1912. Generalisimo Francisco Franco launched the Spanish Civil War from Ceuta in 1936.

actually refers not to Ceuta at all, but to Tétouan in Morocco. There is an excursion to Tétouan – I wonder if they realise there is a double barbed-wire fence separating them.

Gibraltar has a LOT of history due to its location at the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea. I’ve been there many times and see something different each time. It’s far more than a shopping port.

Yes, Pam, thanks!

In ancient times, the Rocks on both sides of the Strait were known as the Pillars of Hercules. What a sight! I saw it at night, cruising through. What a sight and what

a life experience. There are more lights than expected on both sides!

Yes' date=' Pam, thanks!

In ancient times, the Rocks on both sides of the Strait were known as the Pillars of Hercules. What a sight! I saw it at night, cruising through. What a sight and what

a life experience. There are more lights than expected on both sides![/quote']

I have always wanted to cruise into Gibraltar. I would love to be able to start my cruise from here:):)