920am flight mco

Yeah, I saw above where you got FLL/MCO drive times mixed up. Oof.

At this point, I'd take the gamble- if you win, you've saved money. If you lose, you were out that money either way.

If you do have to do standby, I would consider splitting the family up if needed. Getting four open seats on one flight might be challenging depending on the flight loads. If you're willing to do 2/2 or 3/1, that may boost the odds of getting back home at a reasonable hour.

thanks

$75/p same day flight change fee + fare difference.

what a mess up by me. :-(:(

Please, please, please listen to all of us on here. You are assuming that you will find availability on a flight the same day and that the price will not go up from today's prices. Your cruise is over a month away. Flight prices WILL rise and availability WILL dwindle. You made a mistake, as we all have, but don't make another one for the sake of your family. This is a snowball and it will only get bigger the longer you let it roll downhill. Swallow your pride and make the change.

Please, please, please listen to all of us on here. You are assuming that you will find availability on a flight the same day and that the price will not go up from today's prices. Your cruise is over a month away. Flight prices WILL rise and availability WILL dwindle. You made a mistake, as we all have, but don't make another one for the sake of your family. This is a snowball and it will only get bigger the longer you let it roll downhill. Swallow your pride and make the change.

yes, i'm aware of flights/pricing at later point but what does pride have to do with it?

anyways..i'm leaning on the change

yes, i'm aware of flights/pricing at later point but what does pride have to do with it?

anyways..i'm leaning on the change

Didn't mean to offend you, I just couldn't logically connect any other reason why you would not already have made the change. I am just really nervous for you and cannot imagine ending my vacation with the amount of uncertainty that this situation will bring. I am glad you are leaning on the change. I think your situation sucks. I hope for the best.

Hi,

I think I might have made a mistake when booking the flight and the cancellation charges are ridiculous.

With roughly 1hr drive from PC to MCO.... I should be able to make the flight as long as i get off Oasis right away.

I will need to order a private shuttle and tell them to book it!

anyone else ever make this mistake?

I'm less negative on this idea than some posters, but it really depends.

I would feel comfortable about making your flight if you:

1) Have pre-check (pre-check + clear would be even better) and

2) Either are carry-on only or have airline elite status/paid premium cabin that will make checking a bag fast.

If you don't have pre-check I'd forget about this and just go ahead and re-book. If you are going to have to wait in a line to check bags, same thing.

One other thought here...and this is kind of complex so skip it if you don't want to jump through hoops.

You're flying UA, so you have a same day change option available to you.

What I would do in your shoes is the following:

1) Call in and have them split up your PNR so you're not trying to find four seats. If you're four adults, I'd put everyone on their own PNR. Otherwise do 1 adults/1 kid per.

2) If it looks like things are going sideways on the morning you're trying to fly, you can use the app to try to change to other flights and just pay the $75/SDC fee per person.

This probably gives you the best fallback option in terms of being able to see how that morning is going and then changing as cheaply as possible to something else if it becomes clear you won't make it.

Your ability to find seats without paying a fare difference is going to depend on your fare class. I would be willing to bet that on a W or V (or higher) you'd have a fair chance of finding options. On a cheap fare, you're a lot less likely to find something that works.

I have been through check-in and security process twice at MCO twice since May (once off Oasis and once coming from Disney). Both times had HUGE lines just to check-in at the airline counter. Both had huge lines at security. TSA pre-check was much faster than the standard line, but it was still 20 minutes or so. It's uniquely an Orlando problem ... lots of elderly, lots of little kids, and lots of bags.

My husband has missed a couple flights (once by 24 hours) and he has never been charged extra. They put him on standby if needed, they have had to change his connecting flights around (that 24 hour one was a doozy), etc, but they haven’t charged him.

It’s like you’ve paid for it by the stress of missing your flight.

And definitely let them know you’ll

split up if needed when you get there and have missed bag check in or the flight.

FWIW I would never have tried for that early of a flight for FLL....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would call and say "I made a terrible mistake when I booked my flights. Is there anyway I can make a change without a penalty"?

This works with all US airlines if it’s been less than 24 hours since the ticket was booked. Outside of that window, it’s at the airline discretion, but I doubt it’ll work in this case since it’s not an airline error.

So we just flew out of MCO off the Oasis of the Seas this past Sunday. We walked off the ship (left our room) at 7:45 a.m. and were at the MCO airport at 9:30. The security line wasn't bad for us, we had precheck and were the 3rd couple in line. We had checked in ahead of time (printed boarding pass already on ship) so just had to drop luggage.

So if you can be first off the ship at 6:00 a.m. (and someone suggested, line up at 5:00 a.m.) you have a chance of walking in by about 7:45 a.m. (giving the time it took me).

I would plan a taxi to get to MCO - just pay whatever it is . . . . jump in first taxi and go. If you Uber or do a scheduled car service, finding the driver (uber line) will take you extra time. Head straight to the taxi line and go. Make sure they drop you at your airline counter versus the other side of the airport -- this will make a difference at MCO.

not my inbound flight, my outbound flight is the issue

Asked about dates and arrival to see 1) if you were beyond final pmt date, and 2) whether you planned to spend some pre-cruise time in Orlando doing Disney, etc. If sailing is far enough out to switch cruises without penalty and if you are arriving a couple of days early, you might consider switching from Oasis (Sunday sailing) to Harmony (Saturday sailing, but from Port Everglades). Would require car rental and 3 hour drive each way, but solves your return flight issue.

I would pay the change fee. It will be cheaper than booking new tickets when you miss your flight, also less stressful. If everything goes perfect, you have a very slim chance to make it.

Yes. The cost if the flight is missed may be significantly more than any change fee. And I'm not just talking about dollars. More often than not these days, planes are full. That "next" flight after yours may mean "tomorrow"'or the next day for the OP (particularly if you're not a higher tier frequent flier with that airline).

I would call and say "I made a terrible mistake when I booked my flights. Is there anyway I can make a change without a penalty"? That's one reason I really like Southwest, no change fee, no baggage fee. Good luck in whatever you do!

I’d do the same, maybe add in some tears and begging! I booked a flight for Thanksgiving travel and completely messed it up-I didn’t even have him flying on the right day, no less time. The wholesaler that I used had crazy change charges. The rep felt so bad for me, I didn’t get charged any extra to make the change-just the difference in the flight. Give it a shot, it never hurts to ask! Good luck!

Yes. I have no confidence that I would make a 9:20 flight. If you don't make the change and miss the flight it will be much higher the day of the flight, if you can even get a seat. We are talking about 9:20 not 10 or 11. If you get off the ship and through customs at 6:30 am, out of the port by 6:45 am, into Orlando by 7:45 am, absolute best case scenario.. Remember 9:20 am is wheels up, not boarding. They will want the plane loaded and door shut no later than 9:05-9:10, possibly earlier depending on airline. This leaves you roughly 1 hour to get through security, to the gate and onto a plane, on a weekend, when a ship with 5000+ passengers are departing and arriving. It will be busy. I will send good vibes your way if you roll the dice. I would accept my unfortunate mistake and eat the cost. For the record we are a family of 5.

Also flying internationally will likely mean waiting in line for a ticket agent to check your bags in, unless your airline offers curbside bag check. Many do not for international flights.

The departure time is most definitely not “wheels up” time. Departure times are the time at which the brakes are released and usually when the aircraft starts its push back.

Security at MCO is horrid, expect an easy 1 hour wait under normal circumstances. You’re chances of making your flight are close to nil.

If everything goes right and you are off the ship and in the shuttle to MCO by 7am, you can make it. 90 percent you won’t be off the ship, through customs, find your luggage, and get a ride by 7am. MCO TSA lines can be 5-60 minutes to get through. Even pre-check can sometimes take up to 30 minutes

Yeah, I saw above where you got FLL/MCO drive times mixed up. Oof.

At this point, I'd take the gamble- if you win, you've saved money. If you lose, you were out that money either way.

If you do have to do standby, I would consider splitting the family up if needed. Getting four open seats on one flight might be challenging depending on the flight loads. If you're willing to do 2/2 or 3/1, that may boost the odds of getting back home at a reasonable hour.

Gee! Fly much?

If he "loses," it's not just the $75. FFs will get any wait list/stand by seats and OP may have the cost of a hotel until the next day (or two) to add to the price difference for such a "close in" booking.

OP should "bite the bullet" and eat the $300 change fee (total for 4). If it's far enough in advance, he may even find a cheaper flight. That's the only way he'll cover his loss.

There is one other long shot: pray that there's a schedule change that has the originating flight leaving any earlier or shortening any connecting flight layover. In general, United will notify you of a schedule change (if you chose notifications in your online ticket/profile record) and ask you to approve the change. DO NOT check the approval box and call them asking for a later flight OR "assignment" to a Star Alliance partner airline with a later flight. If the rep okays it, there will be no extra charge.

I recently had a schedule change issue on Asiana headed to Sydney from SFO. As a result of their error, my connecting flight from Seoul would have left before my new flight arrived!!!

It took some small negotiation but I ended up turning $2700/pp Asiana biz class tix into $8000/pp United Polaris tix (assignment to a Star Alliance partner) at no extra cost and with better connection timing. BUT, my situation was the airline's error while OP's was his own mistake.