Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

We started in Nov 1986. Spending our kids inheritance. LOL

Good for you! Gotta enjoy life while you can! Even after all these years I still love cruising and think it's the best bargain around. It's changed so much as you know, but still a fantastic vacation option.

I have been reading all the comments about the Seaside. As I read I am thinking that my standards must be pretty low. We spent Christmas 2016 on the Divina (our first MSC cruise) with the fantastica experience. We were assigned seating in one of the main dining rooms. The 4 other people assigned to our table were quite nice, one of the women spoke very little English but did try to speak to us. My husband and I have no problem talking among ourselves and we were not bothered by the language barrier. We enjoyed the food, one night we opted to eat in the sports bar having wings instead of the dining room. We were comfortable in our balcony cabin, felt we had enough room. We did have drink coupons but did not find it a hassle since I always had a pocket or bag for them.

Our second MSC cruise was on Meraviglia October 2017, on the Mediterranean. A celebration as I retired October 1. We were in the yacht club, balcony cabin again. We were treated like royalty, ate most nights in the dining room but did try the steak restaurant for a change, we chose to eat dinner one night in the English pub having fish and chips. We enjoyed the food and found we had lots of choices. Most morning we get room service as it takes me some time to get going in the mornings. I had pretty severe arthritis the last few days and I was provided with a wheelchair to use. We had the bracelets which were scanned at the bars outside of the yacht club but I did not feel it was an issue. I was more interested in the ports we were at since it was my first time to Europe.

We are booked on the Seaside march 10,2018 with fantastic experience for 2 weeks. There were no yacht club cabins available. I am looking forward to this cruise, I will eat in whatever dining room I am assigned to, we did prepay for a dinner pkg at 3 restaurants so that will be a change from the dining room. I am not a picky eater so I am sure I will find something to eat, as for the food being hot , as mentioned I just retired in October a registered nurse for 28 years, I am very much used to eating cold food and cold coffee, so I don't notice it anymore. We have been to all the ports already so will spend more time on the ship and my husband is planning to golf at one of the stops.

Yesterday we booked our 4th MSC cruise on the Meraviglia again, yacht club on the 10 night cruise from New York, October 8, 2019. I am very excited about this cruise and the Canadian ports, all ports I have not been to even though I am Canadian and live in Canada!

As I began by saying I think my standards must be pretty low, you will not hear negative comments from me about any of these .MSC cruises. After 28 years working Psychiatry I have learned to not sweat the small stuff. I am happy to be able to be able to take these cruises and will enjoy every day no matter what ��

Sorry for being long winded.

Best post ever!!! LOL. I agree with you. If I don't have to cook, clean, drive, can get up whenever I want, can visit different countries, and be on a beautiful ship...I'm good. I am booked for Seaside in March for my anniversary and am STILL excited regardless of the negative posts. I am not a seasoned cruiser (this will just be my 3rd) but my first cruise was the Diseny Dream, second was the Divina, and my family and I enjoyed ourselves on Divina (even after being hit with that Disney Magic). I remember being alarmed at first with all of the comments for Divina and then when I got on it, I was like....were we on the same ship?....and I wasn't in the Yacht Club. What I have started doing when I see that the only thing people have to say about Seaside is negative, is looking at their previous posts for other things...that way I can decide to take things with a grain of salt if I see they have a negativity trend.

For me the boards aren’t about reading people as negative or positive, rather about gathering information to make the best design about how to spend my vacation budget. MSc has fit that bill twice- as a good value for the dollar in spite of some shortcomings.

An issue arises in terms of perspective - many people write to caution others about selecting MSc (or any other cruise line). I suspect that was the audience the op was addressing. In which case, he contributed positively to this forum as this thread is a wealth of information.

Unfortunately; many read from the perspective of a consumer who has ALREaDY chosen MSC. In which case the op will come across as negative.

After all, not many people enjoy reading “negative” things about their purchase decision.

Of course any vacation without cooking and cleaning is going to be splendid- but I think we all want the most bang for our vacation dollar. I want to hear it all- good, bad, and especially ugly because they all play a roll in my decision. Gathering Information is the beauty of the forums, but sensitivity is best left elsewhere.

PS- I started cruising in feb of 1987

[emoji4]

I am sailing on the Seaside January 20th with my wife and 2 sons. I am also excited, and at this point, I am committed.

But, I have limited vacation time off work and funds.

So, the question for me isn't am I going to have a good vacation, (I will(its -14 degrees here today)) but is this the best way to spend my time and money.

I really appreciate peoples' reviews to help me decide this.

I also took a big gamble booking this before those opinions were available...

Edited by duderino

I am sailing on the Seaside January 20th with my wife and 2 sons. I am also excited, and at this point, I am committed.

But, I have limited vacation time off work and funds.

So, the question for me isn't am I going to have a good vacation, (I will(its -14 degrees here today)) but is this the best way to spend my time and money.

I really appreciate peoples' reviews to help me decide this.

I also took a big gamble booking this before those opinions were available...

I know how you feel... we also live in MN and when I came home this morning it was -23. We sell on February 24th and this will be the first cruise either of us have even taken. Am I worried..... a little. Am I excited.... HECK YA!

Someone on FB is on board this week and posted the dining schedule. They're not using the Marketplace for MDR overflow but it's STILL closed after 3pm and dinner is at the Biscayne Bay on deck 16. Apparently only 4000 passengers this week as opposed to 5000 last week. Still 3 seatings in one of the MDR's.

Waiting for the MSC apologists to explain this.

Someone on FB is on board this week and posted the dining schedule. They're not using the Marketplace for MDR overflow but it's STILL closed after 3pm and dinner is at the Biscayne Bay on deck 16. Apparently only 4000 passengers this week as opposed to 5000 last week. Still 3 seatings in one of the MDR's.

Yup my point exactly- same as when I went on Poesia a few years ago which is why I never returned till the pitch that the Seaside is different and built for Miami home port cruising convinced me to give them another chance.

They are very rigid. It’s whatever I want to give you at dining room or a limited small buffet at Biscayne or nothing! Even some yacht club reviews say their menu isn’t much better. I spoke with a yacht club passenger one day and she expressed the experience was not equivalent to a private suite experience in other lines.

And no I’m not going to pay for a specialty restaurant every night...just add the alternative menu every night in MDR and expand dinner bufffet selections based on a little more varied palettes and the dinning issue can be fast resolved.

For those on board this sailing are the children still menu-less in the MDR? I was only offered chicken nuggets most of the week, by the last day I got very insistent that there could be something else for kids (as I was even told the Mac n cheese they always put in the Biscayne Bay buffet for kids wasn’t available) it was like a business negotiation, I was finally able to get a plain pasta no sauce or anything just plain pasta for a child - who knew it was that difficult to get plain pasta in an Italian ship! Lol

But in fairness to MSC maybe it’s that staff needs more training on passenger dinner requests which all lines I’ve been on accommodate (within bounds of reasonableness )

OK' date=' you are starting to lose me here.[/color']

There's a review from someone in the YC that absolutely loved their experience.

I'll take that vs. you finding someone on the cruise that agreed with your opinion.

I'm sorry you had a bad cruise.

However, I wonder if now you are not trying to alert people to MSC's shortcomings but are just trying to get even.

Yup my point exactly- same as when I went on Poesia a few years ago which is why I never returned till the pitch that the Seaside is different and built for Miami home port cruising convinced me to give them another chance.

They are very rigid. It’s whatever I want to give you at dining room or a limited small buffet at Biscayne or nothing! Even some yacht club reviews say their menu isn’t much better. I spoke with a yacht club passenger one day and she expressed the experience was not equivalent to a private suite experience in other lines.

And no I’m not going to pay for a specialty restaurant every night...just add the alternative menu every night in MDR and expand dinner bufffet selections based on a little more varied palettes and the dinning issue can be fast resolved.

For those on board this sailing are the children still menu-less in the MDR? I was only offered chicken nuggets most of the week, by the last day I got very insistent that there could be something else for kids (as I was even told the Mac n cheese they always put in the Biscayne Bay buffet for kids wasn’t available) it was like a business negotiation, I was finally able to get a plain pasta no sauce or anything just plain pasta for a child - who knew it was that difficult to get plain pasta in an Italian ship! Lol

But in fairness to MSC maybe it’s that staff needs more training on passenger dinner requests which all lines I’ve been on accommodate (within bounds of reasonableness )

my daughter was able to order pasta with alfredo sauce every night she wanted it, in the mdr on the seaside...but the experience of just ordering off the menu was the exact same on the divina... I wish they would have the alternative menu as well.. but that's the way they do it...

Wow, so what's left to eat past 3 that isn't specialty and MDR?

Just when you thought we third class Bella passengers got good news, LOL.

I would think the small buffet that includes what is reported to be good pizza.

Yes the pizza is offered in the buffet for dinner and I agree it is the best pizza at sea and focaccia! But how much pizza and hamburgers can you eat for lunch and dinner before you say enough? Yes they have some other although minimal dinner choices at buffet.

In Reply to other poster that thinks I’m “trying to get even”: I’m Not trying to “get even” simply relaying my experience last week, I personally don’t care if folks believe it or not. And maybe it was the staff at my table that was at fault for the MDR shortcommings but either way it’s quality control issues at either the manager or staff level.

Just when you thought we third class Bella passengers got good news, LOL.

Sorry to correct you, but first class is YC, second class is Aurea, third class is Fantastica and that means that Bella is fourth class. If you're going to sail on a European influenced cruise line, you need to know your place. And make sure that you have extra coinage if you wish to indulge in the zip line. :rolleyes:

Yes the pizza is offered in the buffet for dinner and I agree it is the best pizza at sea and focaccia! But how much pizza and hamburgers can you eat for lunch and dinner before you say enough? Yes they have some other although minimal dinner choices at buffet.

In Reply to other poster that thinks I’m “trying to get even”: I’m Not trying to “get even” simply relaying my experience last week, I personally don’t care if folks believe it or not. And maybe it was the staff at my table that was at fault for the MDR shortcommings but either way it’s quality control issues at either the manager or staff level.

Settle down Francis. Some one stated they thought there were only 2 options after 3 pm and I responded to that. I am not saying good or bad about MSC or Seaside as I have yet to sail on MSC. I've read your opinion many times already. I would like to hear more other opinions before I decide to keep or cancel my 1st MSC Cruise

It could have been my post that you saw...I included most of the info below and posted the dining times. But anyway, when you get right down to it, a buffet that seats 450 people as the only other free dining option on a ship of 5,000 isn't adequate. It's not a good choice for those who don't care to dress up for elegant night or for those who missed dinner due to an excursion, nap, massage, or other activity. The buffets on other MSC ships offer much more at dinner so I think there is some surprise that Seaside does not. The Divina always had something similar to what was being served in the MDR and always had several pasta choices. That's not available at the "family buffet" on 16.

Settle down Francis. Some one stated they thought there were only 2 options after 3 pm and I responded to that. I am not saying good or bad about MSC or Seaside as I have yet to sail on MSC. I've read your opinion many times already. I would like to hear more other opinions before I decide to keep or cancel my 1st MSC Cruise

Our first cruise on MSC was back in 2006 on the Lirica. Food was very different then and the ship was new to the Caribbean. We went back on the Lirica 2 months later to give them another try. It really didn't change. The ship was beautiful, clean, entertainment very good. Now, years later,we are cruising MSC again. The only thing that we find to our concern is the temp of the food being served in the MDR, cool. We have mentioned that and it does seem to improve at times. Like anything else, nothing is perfect.

We have been on the Divina 3 times (2017) and really no change in food or temp. We accept it as many other things are very good. You can always find some short comings on any cruise line/ship. Food is one thing that many complain about.

Just read all of the postings and then make you own judgment. We are going back on Divina next month.

Enjoy whatever decision you make. Remember, your opinion and experience may be different than anyone else's. You will not know until you try it.

Happy Cruising!!!.

Sorry to correct you, but first class is YC, second class is Aurea, third class is Fantastica and that means that Bella is fourth class. If you're going to sail on a European influenced cruise line, you need to know your place. And make sure that you have extra coinage if you wish to indulge in the zip line. :rolleyes:

Oh that's right, imagine if they didn't remove wellness, us in Bella would be fifth class! Titanic could never 😂

Still trying to look at the bright side, it's a vacation regardless... but seriously thinking of buying the specialty trio diner. I'm Mexican, I can only do burgers and pizza for dinner for a night or two :( having eggs, bacon and sausage every single day for breakfast on every ship I've been on is already too much for me.

It could have been my post that you saw...I included most of the info below and posted the dining times. But anyway, when you get right down to it, a buffet that seats 450 people as the only other free dining option on a ship of 5,000 isn't adequate. It's not a good choice for those who don't care to dress up for elegant night or for those who missed dinner due to an excursion, nap, massage, or other activity. The buffets on other MSC ships offer much more at dinner so I think there is some surprise that Seaside does not. The Divina always had something similar to what was being served in the MDR and always had several pasta choices. That's not available at the "family buffet" on 16.

I completely agree the deck 16 buffet for dinner was smaller than we were used to, however, they did have a full salad bar, and at least 1 choice from the MDR menu every night. I ate the duck with vanilla sauce of some sort from the MDR menu up there one night. There was always a fish filet option as well, and 2 different pastas. You had to look carefully at the whole buffet to see everything as the food was tucked in every nook and cranny, but it was a full meal, and not just burgers, dogs, and pizza. The only thing really missing from the traditional dinner buffet was a carving station, and maybe a bit more variety of main courses. As far as the 450 seats, it was more than enough as it was always empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish someone would post some pictures of the "small" evening buffet. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a video of the Biscayne Bay Buffet. It actually looks pretty decent, I thought it would be much smaller.