Increased gratuities- being grandfathered in?

Have you heard from anyone that has successfully done it after the date the new rates started? Just curious (and skeptical)

No, I'm just going by what RC said. I am skeptical with you, but I suspect we will hear soon, and the longer it is since Jan 1, the more likely it will be refused.

If you booked your cruise before 2018 and add prepaid gratuities prior to setting sail, you will be grandfathered in at the old rate.

Right, with "PREPAID" being the operative word.....however, if you had not prepaid, you needed to pay before Jan. 2 and the old rate would be honored, otherwise, the new rate would apply regardless of when you booked.

Right, with "PREPAID" being the operative word.....however, if you had not prepaid, you needed to pay before Jan. 2 and the old rate would be honored, otherwise, the new rate would apply regardless of when you booked.

Royal has said that if the cruise was booked before Jan 2, and you prepay before the cruise, you get the old rate.

If you booked your cruise before 2018 and add prepaid gratuities prior to setting sail, you will be grandfathered in at the old rate.

That is not what the email says. It says:

We'd like to extend the opportunity to pre-pay your gratuities before your sale date at the current rate. If you'd like to pay onboard, you gratuity charge will be at the new rate.

I tend to read things on their face, and this clearly says to me that if I pay before my sailing, then I will get charged the old rate. If I pay onboard, I will get charged the new rate. This makes complete sense, it gives people the opportunity to pay the rate that was in effect at the time that they booked my cruise.

I sail Feb. 12th. I didn't get an e-mail. I didn't pre-pay my gratuities because I was planning on using my onboard credit for that. I guess I'll have to pay the new rate even though I wasn't notified

We are sailing February 4, I just called and got the old rate. As long as you booked before January 2 and pay before you sail.

I sail Feb. 12th. I didn't get an e-mail. I didn't pre-pay my gratuities because I was planning on using my onboard credit for that. I guess I'll have to pay the new rate even though I wasn't notified

I'm confused, I've never done this but I was under the impression that once on board you can adjust the tips to whatever rate you want, no one can tell you you have to pay that exact amount. If you don't like the service you are getting it can be adjusted, am I right on this? I also called up for another price question and was told that since I booked my cruise before the price increase for tips that I could add that anytime before I board at the old rate. But again If I missed that cut off I'm pretty sure I could adjust it once on board if I chose to.

Once I saw this, I called my TA (Jan 3rd) and thought "yeah they probably won't give me the old rate" but I went ahead and prepaid at the old rate one day after the deadline. I mean, was only a savings of 20.00...but thats 2 drink of the days ;)

I suppose this is a result of RC making it easier for passengers to remove the gratuities so that folks who do follow the recommendations get stuck paying more.

RC probably should have just added into their base price and let people tip on their own, that is what tips are meant to be. A way to show appreciation for exceptional service.

Have you heard from anyone that has successfully done it after the date the new rates started? Just curious (and skeptical)

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

I paid in full for our April 1, 2018 cruise on Allure on December 30. I knew then that the tips were going up but after dropping a big chunk of cash on final payment, spending an additional $378 then to save the $28 increase wasn't a priority.

I called yesterday to take care of the tips and I mentioned I knew they increased as of first of year and she said no worries, we can get you the old rate. So it worked for me at least.

Dan

Can someone tell me where we pre-pay the gratuities on the website. I seem to be having a hard time locating that.

Thanks! :D

You may have to call to prepay. Someone mentioned a few days ago that you could use the "change" feature to add tips, but I'd not seen that myself.

Can someone tell me where we pre-pay the gratuities on the website. I seem to be having a hard time locating that.

Thanks! :D

You can't pre-pay online yourself after booking...you have to call RCI!! We tried....called IT....not an available option which is laughable when they give their pax less than one week to pay OR ELSE.....and then force the masses to call their reps to get it done (holding on the phone for 42 minutes...ugghhh!). Call the 866 number (or if you booked via a TA call them to add grats.

Yep. I'd love to see the numbers on how many stiffs there are on any given cruise.

probably a lot fewer than you think. i mean, I always see a line on the last night of the cruise, but in terms of percentages based on passengers, I bet it's pretty low.

You can't pre-pay online yourself after booking...you have to call RCI!! We tried....called IT....not an available option which is laughable when they give their pax less than one week to pay OR ELSE.....and then force the masses to call their reps to get it done (holding on the phone for 42 minutes...ugghhh!). Call the 866 number (or if you booked via a TA call them to add grats.

I had the same problem trying to find it online, I called later at night and got right through, adding the tips is simple and fast.

I suppose this is a result of RC making it easier for passengers to remove the gratuities so that folks who do follow the recommendations get stuck paying more.

Royal hasn't made anything easier, or conversely, harder. And I thought it wasn't revenue to Royal, so why should it matter? :confused:

Anyways, I have the email and the wording says pre-pay before sailing at old rate. Seems pretty clear to me in regards to what rate is charged. So long as you call in and add to your invoice or pay it before sailing you get the older rate in place when you booked.

If I call to add the prepaid gratuities today, do I have to pay for the gratuities today or will they just add it to my remaining balance? My final payment is due in a month.

They should just add them to the balance. However, if they disagree, just wait and add them at final.