Am I allowed to take food off the ship when in port?

skudy

I guess 1 or 2 answers weren't enough.

So, just in case 12 answers aren't enough, it's a no no to take food off the ship and into port.

and so others won't post to be more correct, yes, pre-packaged is allowed.

Come on, you're on Cruise Critic. The questions with the simplest answers always get multiple pages of responses somehow!

They say no but we always do and sometimes make sandwiches for the day, its up to you

Just because you do it, doesn't make it right. The rules are there for a reason. Don't encourage others to break them as well, just because you think you're so special you can disregard them.

If your sandwich has a fruit such as tomato or vegetable there is a risk of introducing pests to the island countries you visit. No fresh food. I am a diabetic and carry packaged muesli bars or something similiar. I love trying out local food or go back to ship for lunch.

Think of the big picture.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just because you do it, doesn't make it right. The rules are there for a reason. Don't encourage others to break them as well, just because you think you're so special you can disregard them.

When the cops in port grab them and fine them maybe they will start following the rules. Of course, someone who knowingly breaks the rules will probably lie when they finally get caught and cry and say they had no idea they weren't supposed to.

This thread is the latest of 90 other threads with the same or similar title, I just put in the Search Boards - taking food off ship. I did not even attempt to count the total pages of each thread....

Once and for all NO

If one can't have a full breakfast, walk the dock and need more food, YES, I get it MEDICAL ISSUES. Then don't leave the ship.

Sorry for the rant, but 90 threads of the SAME topic, put me over the edge

On my Allure Of The Seas Western Caribbean cruise in January 2017 our last stop was Cozumel, Mexico. While walking towards the security checkpoint at the beginning of the pier near the shops there were Mexician police officers with two German Shepard’s. There were four large garbage pails full of fruit that was confiscated by the officers. I also noticed a few sandwiches mixed in. I personally couldn’t believe that the passengers were unaware of the fines involved with taking food off of the ship.

This thread is the latest of 90 other threads with the same or similar title, I just put in the Search Boards - taking food off ship. I did not even attempt to count the total pages of each thread....

Once and for all NO

If one can't have a full breakfast, walk the dock and need more food, YES, I get it MEDICAL ISSUES. Then don't leave the ship.

Sorry for the rant, but 90 threads of the SAME topic, put me over the edge

Come on, we still have 50 more posts to go on this subject, so the regular crowd can put in their 2 cents. :D

I once bought some cured ham in a duty free shop in Frankfurt, coming back to the USA. I thought if they sold it there it was ok.

Back in Charlotte in bag claim, I watched a nearby woman get sniffed by the beagle, and some nice pre-packaged German sausages went into the hands of the Feds.

I saw this going down and moved slowly away from Snoopy. Did not get caught but will never do it again.

While the offenders just get a finger wag from the officer, no fine, the Feds do keep a record. They know who you are and what you did. People have been denied Global Entry program for this.

Maybe the countries should just abolish any agricultural laws they have and let anyone bring anything off any cruise ship because they have a "medical" condition that requires that they continuously eat and have the ships prepare boxed lunches to be passed out as we are exiting the ship....heaven for bid we get hungry before we reach the end of the dock.

I get it that all of you are tired of reading about this subject but there are those of us that do truely have medical issues. I don’t eat all day like “my fuzzy”mentioned. In fact I am cautious about how much I eat since I am maintaining a 150 pound weight loss. My issue is that I live without a colon due to Crohn’s disease. And as a result am at great risk for unclean food and water. I could stay on the ship for the entire cruise as one poster suggested but feel I have a right to see all the places we stop at. Every time I eat off the ship I take a chance of getting contaminated food or water which would be life threatening to me. So sometimes I choose to bring some food off the ship especially if my excursion is 10-12 hours long. Please be careful when you make a generalization about why someone might need to take cruise ship food with them. It’s not always what you think!

I get it that all of you are tired of reading about this subject but there are those of us that do truely have medical issues. I don’t eat all day like “my fuzzy”mentioned. In fact I am cautious about how much I eat since I am maintaining a 150 pound weight loss. My issue is that I live without a colon due to Crohn’s disease. And as a result am at great risk for unclean food and water. I could stay on the ship for the entire cruise as one poster suggested but feel I have a right to see all the places we stop at. Every time I eat off the ship I take a chance of getting contaminated food or water which would be life threatening to me. So sometimes I choose to bring some food off the ship especially if my excursion is 10-12 hours long. Please be careful when you make a generalization about why someone might need to take cruise ship food with them. It’s not always what you think!

No problems taking food off the ship just make sure it is prepackaged and not fresh food. I bring pre packaged muesli bars from home just for excursions.

You don’t know where food from ship has been sourced so don’t take the risk of introducing foreign pests particularly to an island nation.

They say no but we always do and sometimes make sandwiches for the day, its up to you

the rules apply to everyone

I hope that when people come here to my country they follow the rules and the laws

prepackage food only. there are blurbs in the fun times about no food and there are signs when you are getting off on ports about no food

the rules apply to everyone

I hope that when people come here to my country they follow the rules and the laws

prepackage food only. there are blurbs in the fun times about no food and there are signs when you are getting off on ports about no food

Apparently the rules only apply to some people. SMH.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

There should be some pre-packaged food that would work for you with almost any kind of dietary issue, with a little planning. I myself could eat a big breakfast and then wait until we come back to the ship. We are not always in port the entire day anyway, so sometimes we get a late lunch in. But my daughter is just now 7 and traveling since she was 15 months and her little tummy needs food. So I get that and there is no judgment (from me) about needing to have a snack. Its just a matter of planning.

Cereal, crackers, or granola bars are an option. If you are carb watching, you might bring a premade protein shake, protein bar, or nuts. We always bring a few things from home for snacks on the beach or in port. Or sometimes even in the room because my little one is a snacker (and rail thin of course).

You've taken 15 cruises according to your sig and you aren't aware of this policy? I've only been on 6 and I'm aware and have been for some time.

There are multiple threads on this subject from searching and the answer is always the same....pre-packaged food only. If you can find something pre-packaged that goes along with your specific medical/dietary condition, then you're covered.

I don't get why folks continue to post their specific condition as, somehow, that gives them special consideration to go against this policy? Is this what I'm reading?

Quite frankly, if one has severe dietary restrictions, it might be wise to ask questions concerning this before booking to ensure that this will not be an issue, whether it is onboard or in a port of call.

You've taken 15 cruises according to your sig and you aren't aware of this policy? I've only been on 6 and I'm aware and have been for some time.

There are multiple threads on this subject from searching and the answer is always the same....pre-packaged food only. If you can find something pre-packaged that goes along with your specific medical/dietary condition, then you're covered.

I don't get why folks continue to post their specific condition as, somehow, that gives them special consideration to go against this policy? Is this what I'm reading?

Quite frankly, if one has severe dietary restrictions, it might be wise to ask questions concerning this before booking to ensure that this will not be an issue, whether it is onboard or in a port of call.

Very well said!

Sorry Keys that you totally misunderstood my post. I am well aware of the rules and have never tried to take illegal food off the ship. I do pack pre packaged food since unlike many of you I can’t eat a big breakfast to fuel up ahead of time. And I travel with my granddaughter who I also pack food for. I just posted trying to enlighten a few people that there are some of us that can’t wait until they get back to the ship to eat. And also eating off the ship could prove life threatening. If you haven’t ever been in my situation be grateful. It makes traveling a challenge but also understand that I have the courage to take the challenge. And yes..l I have sailed 15 times with no issues . Cruising allows me to ensure I always have access to safe food and water. Just be grateful you don’t have worry about any of this... I never expected to either.

Sorry Keys that you totally misunderstood my post. I am well aware of the rules and have never tried to take illegal food off the ship. I do pack pre packaged food since unlike many of you I can’t eat a big breakfast to fuel up ahead of time. And I travel with my granddaughter who I also pack food for. I just posted trying to enlighten a few people that there are some of us that can’t wait until they get back to the ship to eat. And also eating off the ship could prove life threatening. If you haven’t ever been in my situation be grateful. It makes traveling a challenge but also understand that I have the courage to take the challenge. And yes..l I have sailed 15 times with no issues . Cruising allows me to ensure I always have access to safe food and water. Just be grateful you don’t have worry about any of this... I never expected to either.

I guess I and many others misunderstood your first post from all the quoted replies you received on it. :confused:

Thank you for the clarification and glad that you are able to cruise with no issues! Have fun on your next one as well!