Tips for doing hand washing on board Solstice

Muffinz

I'm a bit perplexed by this thread - I can easily pack two weeks of clothing in a medium sized suitcase. If I have any laundry needs, it would be for one or two pieces that I tend to wear most often in which case I use the hotel or ship laundry services for a relatively small charge. I also either pack enough undies for one each day (and it's not a big investment to buy a multipack set of cotton if you don't have enough for that) and/or wash out a pair at a time in the sink if I run out - doesn't take that long to dry. Wear is all the need for major laundry coming from?

I'm a bit perplexed by this thread - I can easily pack two weeks of clothing in a medium sized suitcase. If I have any laundry needs, it would be for one or two pieces that I tend to wear most often in which case I use the hotel or ship laundry services for a relatively small charge. I also either pack enough undies for one each day (and it's not a big investment to buy a multipack set of cotton if you don't have enough for that) and/or wash out a pair at a time in the sink if I run out - doesn't take that long to dry. Wear is all the need for major laundry coming from?

Some people don't pack 2 weeks worth of clothes..maybe because they don't want to pay luggage charges at the airport, maybe they don't have that many outfits, my be they are incontinent and have issues. Or have had bad experiences with laundry services on ship ( I personally have).....so why are you confused by this thread? People do what they want to do and seek information on ways to ease their minds to solve their problems.

We bought our magnet hooks at Home Depot for a couple of dollars. You can easily string a rope between two hooks to make your own clothesline. I also place hooks on the walls of the cabin to hand towels, jackets, hats, etc. They help to keep the cabin a bit neater.

When I was in Europe I travelled for 2 weeks before my cruise and had planned on doing laundry the night before we got on the ship, but we got stuck flying out of Paris in an industrial strike so our casual flight to Rome followed by a leisurely train to the port and overnight stay never happened.. we ended up flying to Berlin, sleeping on the airport floor, flying to Rome the next day, landing and madly getting a private car to drive us, we boarded with an hour to spare.. so I did small lots of hand washing in the sink each day and I had a travel clothes line so I strung it up between the 2 balcony chairs each day and slowly managed to wash all my clothes, as I had 3 more weeks of travel after our 10 day cruise.

For my 19 night cruise this year I've bought a scrubba and we will handwash our underwear and shirts if required each night.. I plan on going to the gym so will wash my gym clothes each day.. I've purchased a cheap fold out clothes line which has pegs which you can clip onto pretty much anything, so we can hung our gear on the balcony and not have it fly off!

Two week cruise, no problem....Add in several days pre and post cruise (often moving hotels each or every other night) and there can be an issue.....We try to ensure our last night on land is in a hotel with laundry facilities but as another post said sometimes plans don’t work!

The obsession with laundry and doing laundry in the cabin is a fairly new phenomenon on Celebrity ships. It must be part of the "Modern Luxury" concept.;)

LOL! The tell tale sign of laundry hanging on the balcony. Personally I think it looks awful. Apart from the ship asking you not to do it.

Phil

We just pay the extra to take enough clothes with us to do for the 4 weeks we are away. Usually runs to 4 large cases but the ones with 4 wheels for easy moving. That works everywhere unless you are trying to get into either Glasgow or Edinburgh airports which have the roughest paths into the terminal building I have ever had to take cases over.

For the price of one martini I can buy enough extra undies and throw them out every day. It's cheaper than the extra special laundry detergent. With just one more large suitcase there's plenty of room for anything extra necessary for an extended trip for two people. The ship does well with dry cleaning. I could go on and on but really...how much does any of this cost and is your time worth anything?

Hanging hair dryers in the shower, dripping clothing all over the cabin and hanging laundry on the balcony.....(n)

LOL! The tell tale sign of laundry hanging on the balcony. Personally I think it looks awful. Apart from the ship asking you not to do it.

Phil

LMAO, the ship also asks passengers not to "reserve" poolside loungers or seats in the theater, to wash their hands, to keep their feral children under control, to not smuggle alcohol onboard, and my favorite bugaboo - not to block exit corridors with mobility devices parked outside cabins. How's that working?

She Who Must Be Obeyed did a three month trip last year. A cruise around Australia, five weeks on land, and a transpacific cruise home. No way to get by without Laundromats on land and sink laundry on the ships.

In another life I was on the road quite a bit and more recently have done several 2 week or more land vacations in Europe. I have have always done it with one carryon bag, a Red Oxx Air Boss or Sky Train (see one bag.com). Here are my tips for doing laundry on the fly (in a sink or bag).

1. Start with synthetic quick dry no wrinkle clothing. The less the better. For a two week vacation I usually take 2 or three button up or golf shirts and two tee shirts. Cotton is a huge no! Cotton will not dry fast or well and will often wrinkle. I’m partial to fishing shirts from Columbia (both long and short sleeve) and performance tee shirts. Layered shirts for colder climate.

2. Get performance/travel underwear (ie exofficio)

2. I take small less than 3 oz containers of detergent but you really don’t need that. Hotel shampoo works just fine

3. The scruba bag option is a great idea, but for me, a better and cheaper solution in the 2 1/2 Gallon size zip log bags. You can get these at a large department store (target, walmart etc....). These work great for doing laundry if using the sink is a problem Just need on or two.

4. Elastic clothes line, with out the suction cup, you want the loops on the end and maybe one or two foldable hangers

5. Do laundry in the sink/bag every night while you are in the shower.

6. After rinsing and getting the excess water our of shirts roll in a towel to get as much water out as possible then hang to dry. No need to do it on the balcony. In the closet or bathroom will work

7. Clothes are dry in the morning.

Admittedly if I am on just on a cruise I’ll take a bigger checked bag, but its usually full of electronics crap so I still need to do some sort of laundry on a cruise. I still follow the above.

Cheers

Tom

The obsession with laundry and doing laundry in the cabin is a fairly new phenomenon on Celebrity ships. It must be part of the "Modern Luxury" concept.;)

Or of wanting what you don't have. Then again, be careful what you wish for, you just may get it!

Panties don't take up that much room in your suitcase. I take more than I think I'll need.

I use the ship shampoo to wash my swimsuits and hang them to dry on a clothes hanger in the shower or the little knobs that are on the bathroom door. A few clothespins to clip your washed bathing suit bottoms or panties to the hanger would be helpful.

thanks for the replies... my main concern is we will be travelling in North Queensland in March / April and the weather will no doubt still be hot and sticky - and after a shore excursion we will want to wash out bra / knickers / undies....

I've bought an elasticated clothes line so I don't think we will have a problem washing our 'smalls'