Need advice for Skagway, Alaska Port

JP-Cruise

Hello,

I’m having such difficulty trying to decide which of these two tours to do when in Skagway. I’m arrive with Golden Princess ship:

I love animals, but I also deeply love mountains and spectacular vistas!

Between the Kroschel wildlife centre and a hike in the white pass, through international falls, up feather peak or mount Cleveland. Here is the link to this hike

http://skagwayexcursion.com/skagway/white-pass-adventure/

In this hike I have the chance of seeing animals (in their natural habitat) such as goden eagles, bald eagles, bears and dall sheep. But of course it’s not guaranteed. In the Kroschel tour, it’s guaranteed to see wildlife, and you get to interact with them, pet some of them and get photo opportunities with them.

Given these points, I’m trying to decide which one would leave more of an impact on me.. any thoughts in helping me decide between these two tours would be wonderful :)

Hello,

I’m having such difficulty trying to decide which of these two tours to do when in Skagway. I’m arrive with Golden Princess ship:

Between the Kroschel wildlife centre and a hike in the white pass, through international falls, up feather peak or mount Cleveland. Here is the link to this hike

In this hike I have the chance of seeing animals (in their natural habitat) such as goden eagles, bald eagles, bears and dall sheep. But of course it’s not guaranteed. In the Kroschel tour, it’s guaranteed to see wildlife, and you get to interact with them, pet some of them and get photo opportunities with them.

Given these points, I’m trying to decide which one would leave more of an impact on me.. any thoughts in helping me decide between these two tours would be wonderful :)

We will be going on the Grand in June and decided to do the White Pass and Yukon Railroad. Although never guaranteed I cannot believe that we would be going up that high and not enjoy some awesome wildlife. Whatever you decide I hope it comes with a plethora of beautiful animals.

We will be going on the Grand in June and decided to do the White Pass and Yukon Railroad. Although never guaranteed I cannot believe that we would be going up that high and not enjoy some awesome wildlife. Whatever you decide I hope it comes with a plethora of beautiful animals.

I hear ya. I did the white pass train ride and Laughton Hike last year! The train ride was phenomenal! Incredible views! You’re going to love it! But this year I wanna do something different.

If you had the choice between the above two excursion, which one would you choose ?

I think that hike looks wonderful! It's marked as very strenuous, as I'm sure you're aware. That would definitely have been my choice a few years back when I was up to it. I'd say pack the suggested clothing and go for it.

I hear ya. I did the white pass train ride and Laughton Hike last year! The train ride was phenomenal! Incredible views! You’re going to love it! But this year I wanna do something different.

If you had the choice between the above two excursion, which one would you choose ?

Both tours (as you describe them) sound amazing. Only one observation is that if you can interact and pet the animals then it is not wildlife in their natural habitat. That being said I would be conflicted because how many times can you come that close to these animals?

I think that hike looks wonderful! It's marked as very strenuous, as I'm sure you're aware. That would definitely have been my choice a few years back when I was up to it. I'd say pack the suggested clothing and go for it.

Thanks for your input :). Definitely will be going prepared with all the necessary gear to brave whatever elements come :). I’m maybe leaning toward the hike also. You could go to an animal sanctuary place anytime right? I’m just trying to think of it in the sense of “which one will leave the most impact on me?” Right?

Both tours (as you describe them) sound amazing. Only one observation is that if you can interact and pet the animals then it is not wildlife in their natural habitat. That being said I would be conflicted because how many times can you come that close to these animals?

Ugggh!!! Yags! Now I’m leaning toward the Kroschel cuz of how you put it! You’re absolutely right and I thought of that also. How often do you get to pet and come as close to animals like this? There’s not a place quite like Kroschel near me where you can interact and pet animals like this, like the Wolverine that’s going extinct, feeding a reindeer and a moose and petting a porcupine, all unique experiences!

Thanks for your input :). Definitely will be going prepared with all the necessary gear to brave whatever elements come :). I’m maybe leaning toward the hike also. You could go to an animal sanctuary place anytime right? I’m just trying to think of it in the sense of “which one will leave the most impact on me?” Right?

For me, no contest. If I could make it up to that summit and look out over all those mountains, that would be the most impact (Which it's doubtful I actually ever could have if they went the crampons and ice axes route. Possible if they did the other one). As you say, you could go to an animal sanctuary another time.

We did the Kroschel wildlife centre last summer. My husband loved it, I thought it was boring. Yes, you see animals in their natural environment (some pens are over an acre, while others are significantly smaller). Yes, you can pet them (the tame ones that is) along with 20 or 30 other people on the tour. My beef is that the owner thinks he's a comedian and the banter got old after about 20 minutes. If I were 20 years younger I'd take the hike. It sounds marvelous and the views will be spectacular.

Hello,

We have been to Skagway multiple times in both an RV and cruise ship. Have seen bear all over Alaska but never near Skagway or the Chilkoot Pass.or taking the railroad. Yes, not saying it could not happen but being high up has very little to do with it in Alaska but more so bear tend to more in the interior areas.The animals are confined at the Kroschel Wildlife Center - they say it isn't a zoo but they are still confined.

You will most likely see golden and bald eagles in Ketchikan and they are everywhere in Juneau. If you want to see and photograph these animals even if they are not truly in the "wild" this tour would probably have an impact on you.

If being guaranteed to see amazing scenery and like to hike but will not be disappointed in seeing no animals-bears eagles or sheep this will have a guaranteed impact.

We did the Kroschel wildlife centre last summer. My husband loved it, I thought it was boring. Yes, you see animals in their natural environment (some pens are over an acre, while others are significantly smaller). Yes, you can pet them (the tame ones that is). My beef is that the owner thinks he's a comedian and the banter got old after about 20 minutes. If I were 20 years younger I'd take the hike. It sounds marvelous and the views will be spectacular.

Which animals were allowed to be petted? I wonder if he would allow anyone to hold some of the animals? lol. That’s funny you say the banter got old lol.

That’s also something to take into account, I should take advantage and do the hike while I still can: I’m turning 33 this summer still in good health. Better take advantage of climbing up a mountain and viewing spectacular mountain vistas before I can’t use my knees anymore like this right?

For me, no contest. If I could make it up to that summit and look out over all those mountains, that would be the most impact (Which it's doubtful I actually ever could have if they went the crampons and ice axes route. Possible if they did the other one). As you say, you could go to an animal sanctuary another time.

Thank you so much to everyone so far for your thoughts in helping me decide in which tour to do. Especially you Sea Hag :) I know I’ll just have to come back to Alaska a third time lol. Now I totally understand why people come to Alaska several times!

I already have the Kroschel wildlife centre tour booked. I booked it back in November. But then I found the white pass mountaineering tour a few weeks ago while browsing mountain hike excursions online. So if I end up choosing this I’ll just simply cancel the Kroschel tour. The good thing is that when I emailed the manger, he said the mounteering tour is not as popular due to how strenuous it is and due to the length of the tour. So I figure I still have a bit of time to sleep on it some more and think about which one I’m gonna do :)

I'd do the hike, and it's not even close.

For me, there's something more authentic about Alaska (or anywhere) when you see it... well... naturally. I've heard wonderful things about Kroschel, and I'm sure that it would be fun, but the ability to do that hike is a once in a lifetime thing.

Can't go wrong either way. But, if you can do it, I'd do the hike and not think twice about it.

I'd do the hike, and it's not even close.

For me, there's something more authentic about Alaska (or anywhere) when you see it... well... naturally. I've heard wonderful things about Kroschel, and I'm sure that it would be fun, but the ability to do that hike is a once in a lifetime thing.

Can't go wrong either way. But, if you can do it, I'd do the hike and not think twice about it.

Why thank you for your input Jeremiah! You’re speaking my language when you say this hike is a lifetime thing lol

I don't want to make your decision more difficult....but if they still offer the horseback riding (actually in Dyea), I highly, highly recommend it. Beautiful, unspoiled countryside that pictures don't do justice for.

Good luck and enjoy, whatever you decide!! :D:D:D:D:):)

On one of our Alaskan cruises, we rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake. I had purchased Murray's Guide, so we were able to stop many times along the way. At one of the stops, we saw an eagle catch a fish in a lake. At Emerald Lake, we saw bear tracks but no bears. (We did not see any bears until our third cruise--when we started in Fairbanks and took a tour in Denali.) I much prefer seeing animals in their natural habitat.

If you love mountains and spectacular vistas try a flight with Mountain Flying over Glacier Bay. They are based in Haines but also do flights from Skagway.

The scenery gets more spectacular the farther you get from Skagway, the Lake Bennett train covers the most distance , and lots that can't be seen from the road. The rental car is a good option, head up to Emerald Lake as a turn around point. You can pull over many places and do some hikes anywhere you want to stop. The good views start past the summit so don't chose a tour that just goes that far.

We have been to Skagway several times. This last trip we went to the Kroschel Wildlife Center because we had our 14 year old grandson with us. There was a wide age range of participants, mostly adults and everyone, old and young enjoyed the tour. It was a unique tour taking the Haines Ferry across was not just a ferry ride. There was a great deal of interesting commentary as well as a scenic ride.

If you love mountains and spectacular vistas try a flight with Mountain Flying over Glacier Bay. They are based in Haines but also do flights from Skagway.

The scenery gets more spectacular the farther you get from Skagway, the Lake Bennett train covers the most distance , and lots that can't be seen from the road. The rental car is a good option, head up to Emerald Lake as a turn around point. You can pull over many places and do some hikes anywhere you want to stop. The good views start past the summit so don't chose a tour that just goes that far.

Thanks for your input. I am aware about lake Bennett and saw many videos on YouTube. Definitely will add this to the list for future visits to Skagway.

The flight over glacier bay would be amazing no doubt about that. But I want to be on the mountains if you know what I mean. My cruise includes a day in glacier bay which I’m excited about.

I’m already doing 3 other flight tours. One before my cruise tour starts to Anaktuvuk Pass from Fairbanks. in Juneau I’m doing extended Mendenhall Glacier trek which includes a helicopter flight to the glacier, and in Ketchikan doing a misty Fjords flight with island wings :)

Which animals were allowed to be petted? I wonder if he would allow anyone to hold some of the animals? lol. That’s funny you say the banter got old lol.

That’s also something to take into account, I should take advantage and do the hike while I still can: I’m turning 33 this summer still in good health. Better take advantage of climbing up a mountain and viewing spectacular mountain vistas before I can’t use my knees anymore like this right?

GOT your answer....remember if a lot of young children are enjoying the animals too.........adults loose out....because you hate to take opportunities away from the little ones.

GOT your answer....remember if a lot of young children are enjoying the animals too.........adults loose out....because you hate to take opportunities away from the little ones.

EXCELLENT POINT land lover!! Lol I totally thought about this also ahaha! And you look like an insensitive jerk if you bud in through children haha

Only adults were allowed to touch some animals; in particular a wolverine. There really wasn't a lot of petting at Kroscel. There were also eagles visible the day we were there.