Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

I also see the other side where elegant night should be discontinued like NCL, but here is the NCL policy, which looks pretty similar to Carnival:

• Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

I was actually about to suggest the idea of a "more formal" dining room, and a casual dining room. Nothing against the buffet, but at dinner I want to sit down and have food and drinks brought to me. I don't have an issue with dressing up (in fact, I love having an excuse to wear a cocktail dress and heels), but it would be a nice option for both sides of the argument.

Am I guaranteeing it would magically solve the issue? Of course not, not completely. But maybe a decent compromise.

Strawman much?

I like how you completely ignored the facts about there actually being rules instead of suggestions and are trying to draw attention back to your supposedly "superior" choice in clothing.;)

This was never about whether people "wanted" an elegant night, but rather the fact that if Carnival is going to have one, with a dress code, then they should enforce that dress code.

However it is clear you are intent on making this about your clothing instead of engaging in a meaningful discussion.

Spent enough time on Reddit and the internet to recognize a troll when they pop out from under their bridge.

Enjoy your day!:D

I'm pretty sure when the beards of carnival meet formal is a huge topic of conversation. It's time you realize you're the vocal 5 percent minority. Just like table clothes. My point on the clothes is just because it's a suit or isn't blue jeans doesn't make them superior. I know for a fact I look better in what I wear, than a pair of dockers and a collared shirt that's why I wear it. I'm not letting some silly outdated dress code determine what I do!

I was actually about to suggest the idea of a "more formal" dining room, and a casual dining room. Nothing against the buffet, but at dinner I want to sit down and have food and drinks brought to me. I don't have an issue with dressing up (in fact, I love having an excuse to wear a cocktail dress and heels), but it would be a nice option for both sides of the argument.

Am I guaranteeing it would magically solve the issue? Of course not, not completely. But maybe a decent compromise.

I could see this working if one dining room wasn't for fixed dining times and the other for YTD dining, as it was on the Vista.

My point on the clothes is just because it's a suit or isn't blue jeans doesn't make them superior. I know for a fact I look better in what I wear, than a pair of dockers and a collared shirt that's why I wear it. I'm not letting some silly outdated dress code determine what I do!

1. I think you completely missed the point of this thread. Reread the title.

2. The trends in male fashion disagree. A well dressed man in a tailored suit is timeless. Just like the women’s LBD is timeless. Not old fashioned...timeless. And spending x amount on clothing doesn’t give you class. In fact, mentioning it shows the lack therof.

I'm pretty sure when the beards of carnival meet formal is a huge topic of conversation. It's time you realize you're the vocal 5 percent minority. Just like table clothes. My point on the clothes is just because it's a suit or isn't blue jeans doesn't make them superior. I know for a fact I look better in what I wear, than a pair of dockers and a collared shirt that's why I wear it. I'm not letting some silly outdated dress code determine what I do!

Do you actually proofread what you type before you hit submit? I cant figure out if you just like stirring the pot or you actually believe what you type....I have to believe its the former as you cannot possibly be so off base in your assumptions. You really believe that Dress Code is a huge topic with the leadership at Carnival. C'mon, seriously. They are determining how they can increase profit margin, that's a huge topic. To your point of only 5 percent of the people support the dress code. Do you really believe that in your world if 95% of Carnivals cruising base wanted to do away totally with any semblance of a Dress Code in the MDR that Carnival wouldn't implement this? So your "5 percent minority" comment is ludicrous. If I am not mistaken, YOU are the one who said YOUR jeans were superior to mine and anyone else's "cheap suit". I never said or claimed that a suit is "superior" to jeans (you like tossing the word superior around). I only said jeans were not appropriate in the MDR on Elegant evenings per CARNIVALS rules....As far as dress codes, that is your opinion, not fact. Plenty of places I know still employ some form of dress code. For example, golf courses. Most private owned GC's (we are not talking state/county run Muni courses) say no jeans and a collared shirt. You come strutting in wearing your Diesels (we know how pretty you look in them you big stud :loudcry:), you got 2 choices, hang out in the bar area or go back to your car and change because you are not getting to the tee box wearing them

Do you actually proofread what you type before you hit submit? I cant figure out if you just like stirring the pot or you actually believe what you type....I have to believe its the former as you cannot possibly be so off base in your assumptions. You really believe that Dress Code is a huge topic with the leadership at Carnival. C'mon, seriously. They are determining how they can increase profit margin, that's a huge topic. To your point of only 5 percent of the people support the dress code. Do you really believe that in your world if 95% of Carnivals cruising base wanted to do away totally with any semblance of a Dress Code in the MDR that Carnival wouldn't implement this? So your "5 percent minority" comment is ludicrous. If I am not mistaken, YOU are the one who said YOUR jeans were superior to mine and anyone else's "cheap suit". I never said or claimed that a suit is "superior" to jeans (you like tossing the word superior around). I only said jeans were not appropriate in the MDR on Elegant evenings per CARNIVALS rules....As far as dress codes, that is your opinion, not fact. Plenty of places I know still employ some form of dress code. For example, golf courses. Most private owned GC's (we are not talking state/county run Muni courses) say no jeans and a collared shirt. You come strutting in wearing your Diesels (we know how pretty you look in them you big stud :loudcry:), you got 2 choices, hang out in the bar area or go back to your car and change because you are not getting to the tee box wearing them

And that's why golf courses are closing left and right, and the number of rounds played per year have dropped drastically since their highs. but yet cool hip places like topgolf are booming

1. I think you completely missed the point of this thread. Reread the title.

2. The trends in male fashion disagree. A well dressed man in a tailored suit is timeless. Just like the women’s LBD is timeless. Not old fashioned...timeless. And spending x amount on clothing doesn’t give you class. In fact, mentioning it shows the lack therof.

I agree but how many suits are actually tailored? Very few. Most are 20 years old bought off the rack from penny's or sears 30 years ago for uncle frank's funeral, and still worn to this day!

I agree but how many suits are actually tailored? Very few. Most are 20 years old bought off the rack from penny's or sears 30 years ago for uncle frank's funeral, and still worn to this day!

When’s the last time you’ve gone suit shopping? My 17 yr old son is 6’2, 215 lb, muscle bound football player. Places like JC Penney & Sears have multiple choices in how the suit is cut. In his case, his dad (who used to be an MTI & is picky about the fit of men’s clothing) and I got him an athletic cut suit that fits him perfectly in a British skinny way. 30 years ago that would have been impossible without tailoring. It is easy to find great fitting men’s clothing that doesn’t cost 10% of a cruise.

And that's why golf courses are closing left and right, and the number of rounds played per year have dropped drastically since their highs. but yet cool hip places like topgolf are booming

Dude, I will say this, you keep surprising and surpassing expectations. Just when I think your answers cant get anymore ludicrous, you come back to something even more whacky than your previous post....So I don't misunderstand and put words in your mouth. You attribute the drop off to golf (roughly 20% over the last 10 yrs if you were curious) to the dress code and not factors of real estate prices, time and expense....I cant wait for your next post :loudcry:

I also don't eat at Golden Corral, or shop at Walmart, but am aware of what goes on. I chose not to cruise Carnival for the same reasons, I chose to shop someplace other than Walmart. This thread is so fun to read, that I can't stop reading it.

Probably because you have no basis for anything you say about Carnival but like to stir the pot and pretend you are better than everyone else.

Well other than its a sports bar atmosphere, cheaper, doesn't require 4 hours, requires no equipment and little skill.....they are the same.

Dude, I will say this, you keep surprising and surpassing expectations. Just when I think your answers cant get anymore ludicrous, you come back to something even more whacky than your previous post....So I don't misunderstand and put words in your mouth. You attribute the drop off to golf (roughly 20% over the last 10 yrs if you were curious) to the dress code and not factors of real estate prices, time and expense....I cant wait for your next post :loudcry:

The stuffiness of golf and the formality of it surely doesn't help it's cause. So yes it's contributed to some of the decline!

Djptcp....I couldn't agree with you more. Carnival needs to either change the dress code or enforce it. Why have rules if they aren't enforced right? I've cruised on Carnival more than any other cruise line - mostly because it's more readily available in California and because of cost. Still....I really miss the 2 nights out of the cruise where everyone dresses up. Its fun, fancy and something out of the ordinary. It's a special night. It's still more that way on HAL and Celebrity etc. Still not as much as it used to be....but the last time we cruised HAL they wouldn't allow a man in the dining room on formal night without a jacket. They had loaners. On our last Carnival cruise the man at the table next to ours came to formal night with swim trunks and a ratty t-shirt and flip flops. Seriously....would he wear something like that to a formal event?

First of all... how am I in the vocal minority? I don't have a problem with what people wear, I just suggested an idea!

Go back to attacking the people who were directly attacking you.

All this for only the need to wear pants for an hour two nights on a week long cruise. I do; khakis, a Tommy Bahama and casual leather shoes. The shorts work the rest of the meals and every night on the ship. We change back after dinner.

That meets the guidelines, I’m not going to the buffet.

Loosen the ascot, you’re dizzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All this for only the need to wear pants for an hour two nights on a week long cruise. I do; khakis, a Tommy Bahama and casual leather shoes. The shorts work the rest of the meals and every night on the ship. We change back after dinner.

That meets the guidelines, I’m not going to the buffet.

Loosen the ascot, you’re dizzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ball and I dont always agree, but gotta give props where props are due....you nailed it with this post (all except the buffet, i will on occasion eat there for dinner) (y)

I seriously having fun reading this thread. How many times does a person say Carnival is like going to Walmart. Then everyone gets offended. Then you get a thread like this. The discussion between those that think you should actually get dressed a little decent on a night designated for such dressing, and others that think, that a baseball cap, flip flops, and tank top is "elegant" enough because that's the way they were brought up.

This thread only proves that Carnival is very similar to Walmart, and Golden Corral. Don't hate on me, just read all the posts, and than think about what you just read.

LMAO and then you have your SNOBS that shops at Walmart!!!

This is the BEST THREAD ever!!!

All the clueless questions take a back seat.....

How you look is completely irrelevant. How much your clothes cost is completely irrelevant. The quality of your clothes is completely irrelevant. Your perception of superiority is completely irrelevant. Essentially, your entire argument is completely irrelevant.

You can walk into the MDR on elegant night wearing diamond studded jeans sewn with gold thread and they would still be completely inappropriate. Conversely, if you wore $2 thrift store khakis made 40 years ago with Walmart button down you'd be wearing a completely appropriate outfit for the ocassion.

I'm okay with just about anything but I'd like to see them just put plain old duct tape on curse words on shirts and hats. "F... this s..." on a shirt in the MDR is for trashy people and I don't want to see ir or explain it to my kid. Anything else (style, color, etc.) I don't care.

Cover up the curse words with ugly tape and people get the hint real quick and stop with the trash clothes.

Carnival is the only line where I see graphic t-shirts with curse words.

This reminded me of something I saw on my last cruise, which was the Vista. This guy wore a T-shirt in the pool area that had "I pee in pools" on the front. Thankfully, that's the only odd T-shirt I saw on that cruise. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they purchase shirts like that.

Edited by TNcruising02