Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

16 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I love that one... one of the few German compound words that needs no explanation 🙂

Maybe it needs no explanation for you, since I assume you speak some (or a lot of) German. Hamsterkäufe means absolutely nothing to me! I can get a bit of the Romance languages usually, but unfortunately I have virtually no German.

1 hour ago, Flamencacha said:

Happy to report having a nice lunch on the Avalon Panorama, here in Deggendorf, DE, could not have asked for a more beautiful day.  It appears we may make it all the way to Budapest.  

I feel truly  Blessed. 

Flamencacha,

that is so good. After all that hither and thither before your river cruise you can finally relax then! Have a great time.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Maybe it needs no explanation for you, since I assume you speak some (or a lot of) German. Hamsterkäufe means absolutely nothing to me! I can get a bit of the Romance languages usually, but unfortunately I have virtually no German.

Actually German is a language that I have never studied and don't really attempt to speak at all, but my comment was motivated by the fact that most German compound words are almost completely indecipherable to the non-German, but 'Hamsterkäufe' splits so beautifully into 'Hamster' and 'käufe' giving such a perfect visual image of a hamster stuffing its cheeks with its purchases 🙂

... and yes I give you the fact that you need to understand 'käufe' but thanks to the German department store Galeria Kaufhof, that bit didn't take much working out.

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I love that one... one of the few German compound words that needs no explanation 🙂

How about this one (rathertopil considerg the Titel of this Theme:

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauun-
terbeamtengesellschaft

10 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

How about this one (rathertopil considerg the Titel of this Theme:

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauun-
terbeamtengesellschaft

I've seen the 'steam boat captain' one before so the first part looked familiar, and I remembered gesellschaft from my dealings with German businesses so I could guess it was something to do with a Steam boat society and electrical was in there somewhere, but the full beauty of that one requires Google for me 🙂

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I've seen the 'steam boat captain' one before so the first part looked familiar, and I remembered gesellschaft from my dealings with German businesses so I could guess it was something to do with a Steam boat society and electrical was in there somewhere, but the full beauty of that one requires Google for me 🙂

80 letters
Translation - Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services
When to use it – after a dozen schnapps with the aforementioned captain.

7 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

The Danube is slowly falling, but it will be sometime if at all before it reaches the last pre-ra levels.

Saw several freighter today, lying very deep in the water,  a very good sign.

En route to Passau saw two other ships going upstream, one was the Viking Egil.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, G.M.T. said:

Today along the Danube it is sunny with tempeatures due to rise to 17°C, although a storm force 12 will be ripping through the Alps above 1500 meters. It will remain sunny and warm for the next six days, without rain.

The river levels have fallen slightly, but nothing to worry about, the levels between Passau and Regensburg should maintain their navigational levels. Downstream from Passau it should be completely ba to normal in a day or two.

Sounds great, we leave Sunday on the Viking Legend, Passau to Budapest, hoping for a good trip.

That's great news...hope you have a great trip.  We leave from Passau to Budapest on Nov 7, so I'm hoping we can do the whole trip also.  We did get an email from Viking today explaining the troubling water levels and that our trip could be impacted, but that's probably standard procedure to cover themselves if we hit any trouble.

On board the Viking Lif, sailing west to east.  Told we'll do a ship swap from Nuremberg to Passau tomorrow, Nov 2.  But it looks hopeful to get all the way to Budapest from there.  Passengers seem resigned to it, happily.  No ugly scenes when the announcement was made.  The crew has been all one can ask of Viking.  I'll be sorry to leave them.

1 hour ago, austinetc said:

On board the Viking Lif, sailing west to east.  Told we'll do a ship swap from Nuremberg to Passau tomorrow, Nov 2.  But it looks hopeful to get all the way to Budapest from there.  Passengers seem resigned to it, happily.  No ugly scenes when the announcement was made.  The crew has been all one can ask of Viking.  I'll be sorry to leave them.

Ship swaps have been happening for months now, so most lines have them down to a fine art.  We had a ship swap in September on Travelmarvel and it was very well managed.  Of course we had to pack for the move, but that was the only inconvenience.  

4 minutes ago, B'Elanna said:

I'm booked on a Danube River cruise on the 28th Nov from Vienna to Nuremberg cruising on the Amadeus Queen. Anyone know how Amadeus are doing?

28th is still some distance away in terms of water levels, but right now that route is open and your ship is currently sailing towards Budapest so it is in the area.

At the moment the Danube is doing OK, so not much to comment about Amadeus.

Hi B'Elanna we are on that cruise too, as is Gregg from Ohio - see All Christmas Markets 2018 Cruises Roll Call thread in All Other River Cruise Roll Calls! I received my tickets yesterday. The ship has been happily chugging between Vienna and Passau all month, so I trust that at least that section will be fine. Long term forecasts are rain just when we arrive, oh well, but at least hopefully we will make it all the way to Nuremburg. Please do join us on the Roll Call - and come and say hallo in the bar!

21 hours ago, CasaM said:

That's great news...hope you have a great trip.  We leave from Passau to Budapest on Nov 7, so I'm hoping we can do the whole trip also.  We did get an email from Viking today explaining the troubling water levels and that our trip could be impacted, but that's probably standard procedure to cover themselves if we hit any trouble.

We will meet you on the boat.  We are on the same cruise with Viking.  Glad to hear water levels are getting better.

So what happening along the Danube.

First off, Budapest -Vienna, Vienna is getting a lot rain lately so willhelp to maintain river levels  on this stretch.

Ran and storms alongthe eastern Alps, this will help levels between Passau (River Inn) to Vienna.

Now to the biggest headache, Passau - Regensburg, the weather is perfect for cruising (at  least for the moment). No rain is forecasted for the next 6 days, with the river levels at almost their recently pre-rain levels - keep track on marine traffic.

A word of caution, when someones post a weather photo show rain belts take it with a pinch of salt. You have to look at the weather radar video to get a feel of the directio, time frame and amount of rain. Currently over at least southern Germany is a high depression weather system that is keeping everything at bay. Northern Italy is getting washed out, plenty of snow on the higher eschelon of the Alps. Rain fronts coming in from the Atlantic and British Isles (nothing to do with Brexit), are being pushe into a more northernly direction than the normal north westerly.

The best weather forecast for rain is when the farmers sart to spread the slurry (liquid manure) on the fields, then it will rain within 36 hours. haven't see that in weeks (or at least smelled it).

• Like 1