Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

After Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it looks like White Tuesday.

The weather has turned colder, overcast with little sun awaited. Monday will be a heavy precipitation day but in the form of snow (also on Tuesday but small amount), as it will remain cold for the next week so will not have a great impact on river levels. Looks like it will rain Wednesday thru Saturday but only small amounts, but main help to improve or at least stabilise the levels. I don't think it willl be enough to make the Danube passable.

Off to Austria soon, to get a full tank of petrol. 25 cents per liter cheaper than in Germany, luckily it's only 15 Km distance.

Greetngs from the Germany's Sahara.

• Like 2

Is the price difference because of tax?

Today there are reports and pictures covering the protests in Paris about fuel prices and other taxes.

Some things in life remain the same over the centuries, disputes about tax is one of them.

Thanks for all the updates about the river levels and related issues. 

Been in Austria since last Sunday and it has been cold since Monday. They were having mid-50's before I arrived.

Went to Austria's Lake District today. It was gray (story of my cruise so far) and did mist for about 2 hours. We visited 2 Christmas Advent Markets on the Lake. I believe it was St. Wolfgang and St. Gilgen.

Tomorrow I am going to Munich and I think the weather will be fine for that trip. Cruise has been great so far. I love the Crystal Mozart ship, crew and food.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pully8 said:

Is the price difference because of tax?

Today there are reports and pictures covering the protests in Paris about fuel prices and other taxes.

Some things in life remain the same over the centuries, disputes about tax is one of them.

Thanks for all the updates about the river levels and related issues. 

Price difference is due to tax, about 70% is tax.

Germans would not go to the barricades, sometimes I think they should.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, Flamencacha said:

Many have opted for a plan B.  Reserve your hotels but insure they can be cancelled if all goes well.  Also plan a route for yourselves. Most of Europe can be accessed through trains or if need be rent a car. If you have travel insurance it shouldn’t be too much of an issue, except a cancelled holiday. 

Best set of luck to you. 

Riviera include the flights from the UK in the price so everything will be cancelled.  In our case, as we have the dog booked into kennels and an airport hotel & parking booked, we may just do a "last minute" from Gatwick to somewhere in Europe.

• Like 1

two weeks to our embarkation date for Viking River Cruise, Romantic Danube.  On fact is clear, at least for the US arm of Viking.  Their marketing efforts far outstrip their customer service and support.  Between TV commercials and emails, I hear from Viking marketing at least 3 times a week.   In the last year since we booked the trip, we've maybe heard from viking about three times total.   When contacting viking regarding the danube river levels, the initial "handler" says "everything is fine, no changes", it usually takes at least three levels of transfer before you can get to someone who will at least confirm what's obvious from this board - that the river levels will have some impact on the cruise.  No definition of what that impact might be.  in fact, just received the "confirmed itinerary", shows no changes.   I've been told to expect a further communication "sometime" before we board the plane.

Perhaps Viking could learn that more information is better than less, in terms of customer satisfaction.  I really feel for those who have "trusted" Viking to keep them informed, as they will likely have no back-up plan.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jcat2010 said:

two weeks to our embarkation date for Viking River Cruise, Romantic Danube.  On fact is clear, at least for the US arm of Viking.  Their marketing efforts far outstrip their customer service and support.  Between TV commercials and emails, I hear from Viking marketing at least 3 times a week.   In the last year since we booked the trip, we've maybe heard from viking about three times total.   When contacting viking regarding the danube river levels, the initial "handler" says "everything is fine, no changes", it usually takes at least three levels of transfer before you can get to someone who will at least confirm what's obvious from this board - that the river levels will have some impact on the cruise.  No definition of what that impact might be.  in fact, just received the "confirmed itinerary", shows no changes.   I've been told to expect a further communication "sometime" before we board the plane.

Perhaps Viking could learn that more information is better than less, in terms of customer satisfaction.  I really feel for those who have "trusted" Viking to keep them informed, as they will likely have no back-up plan.

Amen to that...and include other lines in that as well!  We are booked on Uniworld for a 13 night trip and leave home 13 days prior to embarkation..can't get ANY answers from them!  Two weeks 'til our departure...silence!  VERY frustrating!!

I did see this morning that it's raining in Vienna and forecast for rain most of the week!  Sure hope it's true!!!

56 minutes ago, Jcat2010 said:

Please go to the Viking website under My Trip. Viking has updated conditions for your river cruise. 

Snow is forecast for Bavaria. Lovely when you are not driving a car.

Unwetterwarnungen Deutschland

morgen:

Im Süden Schneefall

Unwetter_Deutschland_Schneefall.png&time

10 hour blizzard? Highly unlikely. Well, we want rain really, not snow. But Passau in snow, I would love to see that. Having a glühwein at a stall... Over to the our weather centre on the Danube. Hello G.M.T. how are things in Passau? (imagine camera turn to the right).

notamermaid

• Like 1

notamermaid & G.M.T.

If you're around and feel like answering yet another question regarding the Danube water levels, I also see rain rain along our route, Nuremberg to Budapest, I realize you cannot predict what will occur but what are feelings with the coming rain?  Will it make an impact on water levels or is not nearly enough?

We leave 3.12 and fly to Prague for several nights before doing the actual rive cruise portion beginning 7.12 in Nuremberg.  Thanks in advance.

Just wondering.....

19 minutes ago, suspaul said:

notamermaid & G.M.T.

If you're around and feel like answering yet another question regarding the Danube water levels, I also see rain rain along our route, Nuremberg to Budapest, I realize you cannot predict what will occur but what are feelings with the coming rain?  Will it make an impact on water levels or is not nearly enough?

We leave 3.12 and fly to Prague for several nights before doing the actual rive cruise portion beginning 7.12 in Nuremberg.  Thanks in advance.

Just wondering.....

Pfelling looks bad still, I have more hopes for the stretches in Austria and Hungary. However some rain will come down as snow. And to what extend that will influence the situation as it could present itself in let us say five days time depends much on temperature and the amount that comes down where, of course. Bavaria has a tendency to be slightly colder than the Rhine valley. Much precipitation is forecast for the Alps but will that be good? Over to our man on the ground, G.M.T.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

50 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Snow is forecast for Bavaria. Lovely when you are not driving a car.

Unwetterwarnungen Deutschland

morgen:

Im Süden Schneefall

Unwetter_Deutschland_Schneefall.png&time

10 hour blizzard? Highly unlikely. Well, we want rain really, not snow. But Passau in snow, I would love to see that. Having a glühwein at a stall... Over to the our weather centre on the Danube. Hello G.M.T. how are things in Passau? (imagine camera turn to the right).

notamermaid

Above Passau a beautiful sunny cold day, along th Danube Valley - fog.

On this Webcam. click on 24 Stunden to get a time lapse video of the Danube in Passau:

https://de.webcams.travel/webcam/fullscreen/1396564226

Here is one from Engelhartzell, select a time form the righthand side of the picture for a still or click the top arrow to get a time lapse video:

https://www.bergfex.at/sommer/engelhartszell-an-der-donau/webcams/c13051/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, suspaul said:

notamermaid & G.M.T.

Just wondering.....

Since June I look at the weather reports that RAIN as one of those great white lies, others being when software has a bug - the correction is in the next release, or in the old days - the cheque is in the post.

For Monday and Tuesday heavy snow is predicted (blizzard, wind is only shown as being moderate), but I take that with a pinch of salt - at leat I can use that if there is ice about. After that, rain is predicted but only small amounts i.e. drizzle.

If it snows and stays cold then it will have very little effect on the Danube level, as it will thaw very slowly. Best bet is if it snows and then a warm few days and a quick thaw would improve the Danube levels, maybe to such an extend that ships could get through, ut ir it happens the window of opprtunity would only last a couple of days.

Suspaul, don't worry be cruising, you are much better off than your Rhine cruise colleagues.

You minimum cruise could be Passau to Vienna (the most scenic part of the cruise), Nuremberg to Passau 2.5 hours drive, Vienna Budapest is 3 hours drive by bus.

Or if your cruise company has enough boats to do ship swaps, then it could be Nuremberg to Regensburg/Straubing, then a ship swap in Vilshofen or Passau (Vilshofen is 1 hour and Passau 1.5 hour drive), then on your boat to Vienna, Bratislava to about 1 hour drive from Budapest. You will certainly see some of the best Christmas Markets, Prague is a great city to visit.

I suppose we are lucky in that we do not need a cruise to visit Christmas Markets, within a 3 hour drive we have Nuremberg, Regensburg, Munich, Salzburg, Český Krumlov  and Vienna, also not forgetting passau and every village in between.

Have a great time, if you have any further questions just type.

• Like 2

Thanks notamermaid & G.M.T.   Yes, I believe we are in a better situation than those on the Rhine and we have made alternative plan B should our river cruise be cancelled.  

I enjoy the links you provided and find it interesting to see the webcams.

We will just have to wait and see what the next 6 days holds.  G.M.T. you are very fortunate to live with a fairly short drive to visit some of the best (in our opinion) markets,  have a wonderful time too.  We often drive from town to town and base in one place for a week before moving on to another destination but this year we decided to do a river cruise 😞 and we will enjoy no matter.   Last year we were on the Rhine and several stops had quite high water levels, especially around Koblenz but not enough for disruptions. 

Thanks again. 

for those interested in the "official" forecast for the Danube, by Hungarian National Watermarking Service:

http://www.hydroinfo.hu/Html/hidelo/hidelo_graf_duna.html

it is only a forecast, and we all know how accurate those can be.    There are also, on same site, charts of the entire Danube - showing changes plus or minus from day before.  

On 11/24/2018 at 6:31 PM, Coral said:

Tomorrow I am going to Munich and I think the weather will be fine for that trip. Cruise has been great so far. I love the Crystal Mozart ship, crew and food.

Pretty foggy here in Munich all day long and it´s going to be worse by tomorrow with a 90% of whatever... rain or snow or both at the same time. It´s supposed to stop Tuesday morning but still overcast or fog.

Some of the markets are already open. The Residenz Weihnachtsdorf is open (I highly suggest the Eierpunsch - egg nog - lots of alcohol). Then at the Viktualienmarkt (veggie market) there are some Christmas booths too - all over the market plus close to the big hall where you find the Italian deli Eataly (Schrannenhalle). There is one booth by Haderner Bräu - Munich´s first organic brewery. We had a Glühbier there yesterday - warm dark beer with rum, cherry juice, a little bit of honey and spices. It´s not as sweet as Glühwein and really yummy!

The medieval market at Wittelsbacherplatz will open Monday. This is the best place for food! The main market at Marienplatz (and vincinity) will open Tuesday. Tollwood at the Oktoberfest grounds is open (but this is more a music festival and overpriced stuff). Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt at Münchner Freiheit keeps it tratidional and will open on Friday. The lovely market at Chinesischer Turm will open on Thursday.

More about Munich´s markets can be found here.

steamboats

• Like 1

On Crystal Mozart now - 

They apparently announced this the first day and I missed it. On the Crystal Mozart now and we are staying on the ship in Passau instead of going to Vilshofen an der Donau and now being bused to Regensburg for my excursion. I think all the excursions are running. We will not know about Bratislava until at the last moment.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

Pretty foggy here in Munich all day long and it´s going to be worse by tomorrow with a 90% of whatever... rain or snow or both at the same time. It´s supposed to stop Tuesday morning but still overcast or fog.

It was very foggy in Passau. It did clear up when we were in Munich.

I am supposed to go to Regensburg and it doesn't look too bad. I am hearing conflicting info so will look that up. It looks like rain for an hour and some snow in the afternoon. I think.

I did see them setting up the Markets at Marienplatz but missed the others. Munich is such a beautiful city - I wish we had not been there on a Sunday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

Ugh - Accuweather and weather.com are showing different forecasts. One seems manageable and the other not.

• Like 2

Water level reality.

‘’Romantic Danube”

Was on the “Romantic Danube” with Viking from 11/11 to 11/18. 

Romantic if you like bad airline seats, bus tours, missed ports, and significantly decreased port time due to long bus rides.

Paid for Viking air plus drove to an airport 90 minutes away to get the two seats together on the side of a wide body only to find out that we had no reserved seats and got placed in the center section by the bathroom. Called Viking and was told “we do not guarantee seating. In fact although I specified to the Viking plus air representative what seats I wanted and had a letter from Viking with seats assigned we had 4 out of 4 flights without my specified seats. That is the first time I did not make my flight arrangements and the first time we got seated in whatever was available. 

I called Viking 6 days prior to the trip to inquire about rescheduling and was told by customer service “you are out of the window to reschedule and the insurance would not cover this as a reason to cancel”. Also Viking does not guarantee water levels.

We did three ship swaps and sailed the only stretch of Danube after dark.

Lots of fun packing and unpacking. A guide told us the ships have been Stuck at ports since June and August. Stuck was a good word. So the reality is well hidden by Viking until just prior to your trip. 

We had several buffet meals on the trip. I wonder if they usually have that many. Probably a convenience on swap days.

They offered us a $650 credit for another cruise which I find unacceptably low given the inconvenience.

Fact is the water levels are at historic lows and a correction is probably  a long way off. So if you are hoping you will get lucky in the near future it is unlikely and the swaps eat a lot of your voyage and port time so my advice is to cancel/reschedule if you can or go to the cities on your own and stay in a hotel.

Viking customer service is lacking but the ads on TV are beautiful

12 hours ago, seahags said:

Amen to that...and include other lines in that as well!  We are booked on Uniworld for a 13 night trip and leave home 13 days prior to embarkation..can't get ANY answers from them!  Two weeks 'til our departure...silence!  VERY frustrating!!

I did see this morning that it's raining in Vienna and forecast for rain most of the week!  Sure hope it's true!!!

Many feel your pain and frustration,

we also wonder  about those who do not use the internet, they do exist for a multitude of reasons, they may have no idea of the river conditions severely impacting this season.

MSM are not covering this much and operators are giving minimal or no information or disclosure.

I have started to believe in Santa Claus AGAIN, after being told here yesterday by CC members and weather forecast that a blizzard (see under for more info) with heavy snow fall would hit us. BS no snow but Rain, heavy at that - will continue into the night, also very wide spread. After this rain, nothing until the weekend with some light drizzle.

If this rain is enough to open up the shallow areas of the Danube, who knows, we'll have to wait and see what the next 12 to 24 hours will bring. Even if the shallows are navigable, that will only last a couple of days.

Cruise passengers on Romantic Danube cruises are complaining about being bused around, I got hit by a blizzard (not snow) this morning. Heard that dear MiL is coming to spend Christmas with us (5 whole days). There goes my romantic Christmas, will have to get some betan blockers to keep the blood pressure from boiling. Oh 5 days on a bus - what a paradise that would be. Last Christmas (unfortunately it was the last) we hit it of as soon as she arrived, I only asked if I should take her broom stick out of the rain.

Think I will start a deer MiL thread (correct spelling as they all have horns of some sort).

• Haha 4

G.M.T.,

Sorry for the MIL.... I have an upcoming foot surgery (second one, first one was last December) and therefore I had a great excuse not to attend the family gathering at my MIL´s home :classic_laugh:. Gee, now I have to find an excuse for next year!!

As for the rain... no blizzard, no snow, just light rain lasting on today... Definitely not enough to change anything regarding the situation of the rivers. It will be all sucked up be the dried out soil.

steamboats

• Like 1