Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

You are almost always stuck with a certain risk that brochures and adverts are keen not to show. This year many, many cruises have fallen short of the glossy mag experience suggested. Partly due to logistics but more just plain drought.

Unfortunately, it also leaves passengers with a loss of money that can be substantial depending on where you travelled from. Or in the very least it has people thinking they have lost valuable holiday experience that should be put into a financial figure. I believe this is something that should be re-thought after this year. Many communication problems and odd itinerary arrangements when a cancellation would have been more appropriate (IMHO) have lead me to think that more re-imbursement should happen rather than a future cruise voucher.

For people like you a "second-try" voucher seems cynical. I know you would be happier with a money-back arrangement. Under German law this would be a given and I am grateful that such consumer protection (more consumer understanding in this case) exists in m country.

It would be nice if you gave the rivers another chance, but I know you would be struggling.

Where ever your future trips will take you, safe travels.

notamermaid

Thank you!!! notamermaid.

You make some excellent and cogent points which I've taken the liberty to highlight in the quoted portion. 

The post touches on realities of missed communication and full disclosure opportunities and arguably customer expectations that Viking and other companies do very little to realistically manage after full payment is received. 

Not to mention how different cruise companies - especially Viking - leverage local laws in formulating marketing campaigns (2 for 1 sales in the USA comes to mind) and in offering customers whatever compensation the company deems appropriate for all of us to "just go away."

One other point about "second-try" vouchers.   I think most of us would give a company a second chance if we felt that they were doing all within their power to make things right and do so with transparency at all points of the customer experience - not just at the glossy pre-purchase stage.

Additionally, I would speculate that these vouchers are like rebates on products in the USA.  A certain percentage will go through the process of doing paperwork or going online to complete the process to get a few bucks back.  I realize that there is much more money at stake and the process of redeeming the future cruise is likely more straight forward - but some of will walk away from any hassles, no matter how tiny they are perceived to be.  To others, life happens and no other cruise etc....But, likely more people will take advantage of the credits than rebates - but I am sure Viking (and other lines) have data that makes future credits a good business proposition for Viking and not us.

Lastly - on the perceived value of a future credit - based on my recent personal experience with Viking and the actual offers they made - in cash back vs future credit - I came to the conclusion that Viking attaches a value of ten US cent (real money)  to each USD of future credit.  In other words if they offered you a 2500 USD future credit  and you balked, they would offer you 250 USD in a refund instead of the future credit -  which for most of us on this thread is a measly single digit percentage of what we paid for our cruises.   A great deal, huh?

• Like 1

Well, we’ve pulled the plug and cancelled our upcoming river cruise, in some ways were breathing a sigh of relief.  Tho we were really looking forward to it, we received the dreaded itinerary change email yesterday and with many thanks to our tour company and TA we were able to cancel.  We will miss the river cruise, we enjoy meeting new people and find river cruises perfect for logistically getting us from point A to B and onwards, good food and great accommodations.  

Since water levels have been a huge concern for quite a while, , we worked out a Plan B several months ago (should this happen) booking  hotels and transportation also cancellable up to Dec 1,  so we’re ready to go pretty much.  We’ll fly to Prague Monday and make our way to Budapest before flying to Paris on the 14th.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, suspaul said:

Well, we’ve pulled the plug and cancelled our upcoming river cruise, in some ways were breathing a sigh of relief.  Tho we were really looking forward to it, we received the dreaded itinerary change email yesterday and with many thanks to our tour company and TA we were able to cancel.  We will miss the river cruise, we enjoy meeting new people and find river cruises perfect for logistically getting us from point A to B and onwards, good food and great accommodations.  

Since water levels have been a huge concern for quite a while, , we worked out a Plan B several months ago (should this happen) booking  hotels and transportation also cancellable up to Dec 1,  so we’re ready to go pretty much.  We’ll fly to Prague Monday and make our way to Budapest before flying to Paris on the 14th.

I am so sorry to read that. After the email, I know what you mean with relief, you can actually plan the alternatives properly. Good that you were able to change things with your tour company and TA. And your new plan sounds great. Although I do not know the details, putting those three cities into a holiday in Advent sounds exciting.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jcat2010 said:

So,  here's the question for those of us in the US.  Who knows of a skilled lawyer?   Yes, this is weather, but not sudden, or unforeseen.   The question is should Viking, and other companies, who do this everyday, have been able to foresee that there would be interruptions?   If the people on this board can see it coming?    The conditions have existed for months, and there is no magical unicorn that will fly over the river and raise the river levels suddenly.  Spring, maybe.

We all purchased a "cruise", on a " vessel". It's not a cruise when the vessel is stopped for days.  A bus is not a vessel.

Just my opinion

Jcat2010,

While I "notalawyer"  (sorry "notamermaid" to steal your line) - I am also US based and took a recent Viking cruise plagued by ship swaps and diversions and subsequent terrible customer service.

While not a lawyer - I do not think any ship swap, diversion, substitution etc...  that Viking made would be basis for legal action.  Why?  Two sections of the terms and conditions - namely, "Advanced, Cancelled or Delayed" and "Acts Of God, Strike, Or Other" - in my uninformed and non legal opinion - give Viking the "right" to do whatever they want. 

I believe the we "legally"  agreed to the terms and conditions when we forked over our hard earned cash to Viking.

That is not to say that we agreed to - nor should we accept shoddy service - inadequate and vague communication/information and horribly unresponsive customer service. 

In such cases, I do not know what the legal remedies are, if any.  However, as customers we have the option of saying to Viking (and any other company) that we will not be treated this way and voting with our feet and spending our money elsewhere.

The sad reality of it is, however, Viking right now - probably has more customers (including repeat customers) than they know what to do with as evidenced by cruises selling out more than a year in advance and their recently "enhanced" final payment policy... 

With that kind of success comes a degree of hubris.  

Hubris is not illegal, but certainly not the way to build a lasting future for a company - no matter the current success.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, suspaul said:

Suspaul, it's been a pleasure accompanying you these last few days.

Have a great time in PBP, all great cities.

• Like 1

This much of tension is really taking the fun out of this first timer's river cruise:classic_angry:  No update yet from AMA or TA on my Nuremberg to Budapest departing Dec 7 (10 days out).  I fly out a day early on my own to Nuremberg.  As I track where AMA Viola ship is today, its in Vienna.  First itinerary on this Christmas markets cruises for Viola is Nov 30 from Budapest to Nuremberg.  I assume mine would be the next from Nuremberg to Budapest.  I found out finally the ship is 135 m in length.

Even if I not focus on the actual ship, I am finding it hard to come up with a Plan B considering flights were not thru AMA

any advise for worst case scenarios ?

2 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Some good news at last.

I was tracking the River Duchess yesterday on her way to Deggendorf, where she arrived late afternoon yesterday. Just has another look at the tracking site, expecting it to be on its way to Passau, but no she went upstream towards Straubing, she is already past Pfelling. The River Duchess is a 110m ship, don't know if she is running empty, the captain certainly judge it right.

Waiting in Straubing are two Viking ships, Lif and Var, both 135m ships, don't know what they are upto?

Just seen, upstream from Vilshofen heading towards Deggendorf and Straubing are 4 ships, Emily Bronte 135m, Amelia 135m, Joy 135m, Amadeus Brilliant 110m, all with destinations shown as Starubing or Regensburg.

Keep your fingers crossed, that they can make it through the shallows.

The River Duchess has made it past Straubing and laughing all the way to the bank (or at least Regensburg. The other four ships are approaching Deggendorf, I'm 99% that they are going for gold. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Homerody said:

G.M.T.

I love your posts - the "technical"  content and details.  But especially the humor.  (Especially MIL lines)!

Thank you for the kind words.

Dear MiL will get a present again that she has not used, I got a chair for a good price in Las Vegas, all she has to do is plug it in.🙏

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trvlcrazy said:

This much of tension is really taking the fun out of this first timer's river cruise:classic_angry:  No update yet from AMA or TA on my Nuremberg to Budapest departing Dec 7 (10 days out).  I fly out a day early on my own to Nuremberg.  As I track where AMA Viola ship is today, its in Vienna.  First itinerary on this Christmas markets cruises for Viola is Nov 30 from Budapest to Nuremberg.  I assume mine would be the next from Nuremberg to Budapest.  I found out finally the ship is 135 m in length.

Even if I not focus on the actual ship, I am finding it hard to come up with a Plan B considering flights were not thru AMA

You have so many great oprions!

Nuremberg is a great place to spend a few days. It's also a short train ride from Munich, Regensburg, Vienna, etc all worth visiting. Vienna to Budapest is an easy train ride too.

If I were you, I'd divide my available time between Nuremberg, Vienna, and Budapest. Take a day trip to Munich once, if Nuremberg isn't exciting enough. Vienna and Budapest both have enough to occupy you for a few days.

I would embrace this opportunity to spend a week in these places on my own. It would be a treat to follow your own schedule and not always be on tour.

We actually did this in 2013 when our river cruise was canceled due to the flood of the millennium. Has anyone see the mark on the Passau Rathaus dated June 3, 2013? Yes, that was when we were supposed to be cruising! Needless to say, it didn't happen.

We had our own plane tickets, and two mostly-empty weeks to deal with. So we booked hotels for the first week and left the second week open. We made the trip up as we went along. It was one of the best trips ever.

So don't look at a cancellation as a disaster. It's a great opportunity to do whatever you want. Hope you enjoy whatever comes to pass.

Edited by jpalbny
stupid autocorrect!
  • Like 1

Thank you Jpalbny.  My flights are non changeable and all that so we will fly in to Nuremberg.  I am travelling with a 4 year old so everything will be twice as slow to change and to do (not complaining, its a fact).  My worry is not that AMA will totally cancel which they won't just based on all my reading on boards these past few months but if they ask me to embark in another port once I am already in Nuremberg, then I will be scrambling with a child and 2 big suitcases.  Especially since my German is limited to Guten morgen and Danke.  Yes, Vienna & Budapest will be an awesome alternative. 

4 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Some good news at last.

I was tracking the River Duchess yesterday on her way to Deggendorf, where she arrived late afternoon yesterday. Just has another look at the tracking site, expecting it to be on its way to Passau, but no she went upstream towards Straubing, she is already past Pfelling. The River Duchess is a 110m ship, don't know if she is running empty, the captain certainly judge it right.

Waiting in Straubing are two Viking ships, Lif and Var, both 135m ships, don't know what they are upto?

Just seen, upstream from Vilshofen heading towards Deggendorf and Straubing are 4 ships, Emily Bronte 135m, Amelia 135m, Joy 135m, Amadeus Brilliant 110m, all with destinations shown as Starubing or Regensburg.

Keep your fingers crossed, that they can make it through the shallows.

Update:

River Duchess is there, moored a couple of Km downstream from Regensburg, think she is the first ship to get through in about 4 weeks. Well done.

Of the four musketeers (or is that mustgetabeer), two have berthed in Deggendorf namely Amelia and Emily Bronte. Joy and Amadeus Brilliant are both still steaming ahead, approaching the critical area around Pfelling.

Now have to wait and see how long this window lasts.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Second seating said:

If I am reading Marine Traffic correctly the Uniword S.S Maria Theresa is in Vienna. Any guesses if it will make it to Budapest for its' December 2nd cruise? I leave for Budapest on Thursday!

Second seating

If I had to guess at this point, I'd say that Uniworld will put guests up in a hotel in Budapest for one night and do the Budapest tour the next day followed by bus to the ship in Vienna. Meanwhile, just keep watch to see if the Maria Theresa moves from Vienna.

2 hours ago, Trvlcrazy said:

Thank you Jpalbny.  My flights are non changeable and all that so we will fly in to Nuremberg.  I am travelling with a 4 year old so everything will be twice as slow to change and to do (not complaining, its a fact).  My worry is not that AMA will totally cancel which they won't just based on all my reading on boards these past few months but if they ask me to embark in another port once I am already in Nuremberg, then I will be scrambling with a child and 2 big suitcases.  Especially since my German is limited to Guten morgen and Danke.  Yes, Vienna & Budapest will be an awesome alternative. 

Just so you know in case you need a back-up plan ...

Train travel in Germany is very easy and is a relaxing way to travel. We arrived in Munich 5 days before our ship's embarkation. The night before embarkation, we were informed (via email) that our embarkation port had changed (the ship could not make it upstream). We took the train to Straubing - very easy.  We simply took the train from Munich to Straubing.

In case you are worried about how to purchase tickets and which train to take: there will be agents at the Nuremberg train station that speak English and they can assist you with which ticket to purchase in order to get to your new embarkation port. Bonus - the Nuremberg station is not nearly as large/hectic as the Munich station. 😊 You will be fine - even considering travel with your child.

1 hour ago, bubbulz said:

If I had to guess at this point, I'd say that Uniworld will put guests up in a hotel in Budapest for one night and do the Budapest tour the next day followed by bus to the ship in Vienna. Meanwhile, just keep watch to see if the Maria Theresa moves from Vienna.

This is my thoughts and this is fine with me. Have a safe trip I think you leave tomorrow. My friend and I are in Cabin 328 Deana and Carol.

Second seating

11 hours ago, pully8 said:

mtkprint We are also travelling from Australia next month for an APT/AMA cruise and we share your frustration with the lack of information and no indication from them when to expect a decision. 

We are not on your cruise but have been through the uncertainty before with high water, this event is more prolonged. Fortunately the season is almost over.

As you may know some are not being informed prior to departure, some prior to boarding a plane and some when they reach Europe. There are vague notices on their websites about modifications, last 1 we have seen was dated 20/11.

Did you book Vienna independently or via the cruise operator? Hopefully you will be informed at the latest in Vienna.  

Enjoy the ocean cruise, we are wondering if that may have been a better option given the circumstances, nevertheless we wait, watch and listen.

Hi pully8  Our pre cruise at Vienna and post cruise at Prague were part of the land/river deal which we took with AMA when we booked. All flights from UK and return to UK were booked by AMA along with transfers and accommodation for those extra nights. We booked this cruise as a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a white Christmas and all that goes with it and it worked in with our other arrangements whilst in the UK and filled in the spare days we had between ocean cruises.  We have read about people who weren't informed until they arrived at the boat etc but as AMA have provided the flights surely we would know prior to getting our transfer from Southampton to Heathrow to catch our flights to Vienna. We are actually seriously thinking of contacting them and finding out if we can cancel the whole river cruise thing and then just make our own plans for the 10 days we have spare. At this stage there still appears to be a few options on short ocean cruises so if we don't hear anything shortly that may be our next plan of attack. As others have said they have known about this for months and you would think by now they would have made amendments to the itineraries and advertised them so everyone knows where they stand.

I hope your cruise works out for you and the cruise companies get a bit wake up call from this event.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, suspaul said:

When were you travelling and with which company?  We are seriously looking at cancelling ours in the next few days. we are supposed to sail on 22 December but have heard nothing from AMA. Every time we contact them all we get back is it is too far away and they will get back to us with the itinerary closer to sailing date and that any itinerary may change up to the date of departure. Future cruise money is absolutely no good to us. We are in Australia and are certainly not paying going to Europe just to do a 7 day cruise. We booked this because it worked in with other things we were doing as we were going to be in the UK at the time and for the experience of a white Christmas. if this has been going on for months why don't they have an alternative itinerary which can work and put it out so everyone knows what is happening. Probably because too many would cancel and they would loose money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trvlcrazy said:

I'm in a similar boat. I'm supposed to board AmaSerena in Vienna Dec 7 to cruise to Nuremberg.  I have received no updated changes to the itinerary.  Airfare and hotels pre and post cruise are settled.  The house sitter has been arranged. Time off has been arranged.  I'm going to Austria and Germany. 

My plan B, should I need it, is to use the train and make my own way to Nuremberg, stopping in towns that look interesting.  My companions have been warned to pack luggage they can manage on and off of trains by themselves.

50 minutes ago, Second seating said:

This is my thoughts and this is fine with me. Have a safe trip I think you leave tomorrow. My friend and I are in Cabin 328 Deana and Carol.

Second seating

Thanks, and yes, we leave tomorrow! Finally getting excited ... It's been a crazy few weeks here so I'm very much looking forward to it. FWIW, I've heard that Uniworld uses the Kempinski in Budapest so it should be nice if that's what happens. At least with our itinerary, we should have minimal diversions after Budapest. This season certainly has been a wake up call for us and many others on the risks of river cruises. We will look for you on the boat. We're on the upper level in a suite; we got spoiled the last time with the butlers (mostly for laundry! LOL) and just couldn't resist the temptation to splurge. I've tried to pack more wisely this time around but always end up taking too much! Have safe travels also!!

4 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Update:

River Duchess is there, moored a couple of Km downstream from Regensburg, think she is the first ship to get through in about 4 weeks. Well done.

Of the four musketeers (or is that mustgetabeer), two have berthed in Deggendorf namely Amelia and Emily Bronte. Joy and Amadeus Brilliant are both still steaming ahead, approaching the critical area around Pfelling.

Now have to wait and see how long this window lasts.

Now three ships have made it through the shallows, all going upstream. River Duchess as stated above, Amadeus Brilliant is moored in Straubing and Joy (what an aptly named ship) is heading for Regensburg.

Looks like there has been an outbreak of Vikingitis as the Jarl has joined the Lif and Var in Straubing.

We'll see what tomorrow may bring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jcat2010 said:

Yes, the meals were not the same as on the first 2 ships. Buffets and abbreviated dinner options.  There wasn't a night turn down service and our cabin smelled of gas fumes. When I reported this, I was told because the ships were parked side-by-side, that this was unavoidable and I'd get used to the smell. The only bright star of the week was that our waiter was able to provide a cake for my husband's birthday when we were on the Bragi for 1 night.

News from Uniworld for the Dec. 2nd Sailing

Due to low water levels on the Danube River, the S.S. Maria Theresa will be unable to reach Budapest for embarkation. Instead our guests will begin with one night at the luxurious Kempinski Hotel, before being transferred on December 3rd to the ship in Vienna. The hotel details are:

Kempinski Hotel Corvinus

Erzsébet tér 7-8

1051 Budapest

+36 1 429 3777

·        Guests with arrival transfers will be taken directly to the hotel.

·        Guests without arrival transfers should make their own way to the hotel.

We will offer the Budapest program from the hotel Monday morning, and all meals are still included. All guests will receive the schedule details locally. After the Budapest program, they will be driven to the ship in Vienna for embarkation Monday afternoon. The Bratislava program will operate from there on Tuesday, and then on Wednesday December 5th the ship will be back in program for the Vienna excursions. The ship is expected to sail from Vienna to Passau without further issues. 

We apologize for any disappointment, but please be assured the onboard and onshore staff will be working diligently to provide our guests the full Uniworld experience. Our nautical team is monitoring the river conditions closely and the cruise manager will keep everyone updated throughout the program. Thank you for passing on this important message to your clients.

Well, we finally received the official communication from Viking - apparently not the last.  We've been told that sailing between Regensberg and Passau will most likely not be possible.

This is better than their previous - no worries, everything is fine. 

No mention of any further disruption.   When I questioned this, I was told, there will probably be another email later that will define how many more disruptions there will be.   Viking seems to be in denial that there are issues between Vienna and Budapest, or at least they're waiting to spring that on us later.   

10 days till the real fun begins.

45 minutes ago, Second seating said:

News from Uniworld for the Dec. 2nd Sailing

Due to low water levels on the Danube River, the S.S. Maria Theresa will be unable to reach Budapest for embarkation. Instead our guests will begin with one night at the luxurious Kempinski Hotel, before being transferred on December 3rd to the ship in Vienna. The hotel details are:

Kempinski Hotel Corvinus

Erzsébet tér 7-8

1051 Budapest

+36 1 429 3777

·        Guests with arrival transfers will be taken directly to the hotel.

·        Guests without arrival transfers should make their own way to the hotel.

We will offer the Budapest program from the hotel Monday morning, and all meals are still included. All guests will receive the schedule details locally. After the Budapest program, they will be driven to the ship in Vienna for embarkation Monday afternoon. The Bratislava program will operate from there on Tuesday, and then on Wednesday December 5th the ship will be back in program for the Vienna excursions. The ship is expected to sail from Vienna to Passau without further issues. 

We apologize for any disappointment, but please be assured the onboard and onshore staff will be working diligently to provide our guests the full Uniworld experience. Our nautical team is monitoring the river conditions closely and the cruise manager will keep everyone updated throughout the program. Thank you for passing on this important message to your clients.

+1 as anticipated

Sorry to miss the nighttime sailing out of Budapest, but we'll probably do a dinner cruise instead because it is lovely.