Involuntary Downgrade Nightmare-Please Advise

h20luv

Thanks Bob and everyone! Good news to report: in response to the fact based email to the CEO, a refund equaling the average price difference of the two cabins was given along with obc for the inconvenience. I appreciate that RC made right the unlucky situation before sailing. It is a shame that it took so much persistence for the just outcome, but I am certainly relieved and have faith that in the end I wasn't taken advantage of. One last thanks to all of you experienced folks that not only gave good advice but also provided understanding and perspective. So glad to leave this issue on shore and nor have bad feelings board the ship.

Good to hear your positive outcome! Have a great time on your cruise.

We are on the Oasis now and yesterday in Falmouth. I took a look up at the cabin in question and there is definitely big time structural work being done on a couple of cabins. Big cage hanging off the side of the ship. I have no idea what the work is or when the work will be completed but I guess Royal wanted to alot enough time to be sure it’s done and avoid disappointment at the pier for the passengers assigned to the cabin. Glad it all worked out for the OP.

Here's what I would recommend:

1) Contact your local news stations' consumer advocate with as many details as possible.

2) Post to the RCCL facebook page - that tends to get immediate attention due to high visibility.

3) Contact the FL Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Affairs immediately. If you do not live in Florida, also write to your local's consumer protection agency.

4) Write a letter to the BBB - not an email

5) Send a certified letter to Michael Bailey immediate, again with all the details. eMail is easily lost and ignored.

We are on the Oasis now and yesterday in Falmouth. I took a look up at the cabin in question and there is definitely big time structural work being done on a couple of cabins. Big cage hanging off the side of the ship. I have no idea what the work is or when the work will be completed but I guess Royal wanted to alot enough time to be sure it’s done and avoid disappointment at the pier for the passengers assigned to the cabin. Glad it all worked out for the OP.

You sure that's not a crab cage hanging off the side?

Jimbo:)

1) Contact your local news stations' consumer advocate with as many details as possible.

2) Post to the RCCL facebook page - that tends to get immediate attention due to high visibility.

3) Contact the FL Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Affairs immediately. If you do not live in Florida, also write to your local's consumer protection agency.

5) Send a certified letter to Michael Bailey immediate, again with all the details. eMail is easily lost and ignored.

I've worked at a TV station in the past and in the hospitality industry now. The situation, while unfortunate at first, isn't really local news-worthy, especially as it's now been resolved. And sending paper letters is inefficient in the hospitality biz if you need a quick response. E-mails can easily be forwarded to the person best able to fix the situation, and it also arrives immediately. Sending a letter means it'll take a couple of days just to get to its destination, then likely another day or two before it gets to whoever can act on it.

RCI is also likely using feedback software that flags negative reviews left on social media sites and surveys (possibly e-mails as well). So it's unlikely that e-mail is "easily lost and ignored" by RCI.

I'm happy the OP got a satisfactory resolution to this situation.

Even though the OP came to a satisfactory resolution with RCI, if it was me, my curiosity would get the best of me. I would have to go by the original cabin to see if, in fact, there was actually work being done in there or if they had booked someone else in it.

I'm with you Ken. I would be curious too.

Very happy that it got resolved to the OPs satisfaction and I sure hope the whole family enjoy their cruise.

Originally posted by cruiseguy1016 Even though the OP came to a satisfactory resolution with RCI, if it was me, my curiosity would get the best of me. I would have to go by the original cabin to see if, in fact, there was actually work being done in there or if they had booked someone else in it.

I'm with you Ken. I would be curious too.

Very happy that it got resolved to the OPs satisfaction and I sure hope the whole family enjoy their cruise.

Another poster currently on the ship has alluded to seeing evidence of work early in this thread. And they posted again today that work (sounds like major work) is visible from exterior of ship. That post more than satisfied my curiosity; it do not think the cruise line lied about the original cabin being uninhabitable.

Although the OP still cannot have the carefully selected cabin, I am glad they not feel they have been treated fairly on pricing.

Why do all or any of that? It has been resolved in a very positive way and to the OP's satisfaction.

I've worked at a TV station in the past and in the hospitality industry now. The situation, while unfortunate at first, isn't really local news-worthy, especially as it's now been resolved. And sending paper letters is inefficient in the hospitality biz if you need a quick response. E-mails can easily be forwarded to the person best able to fix the situation, and it also arrives immediately. Sending a letter means it'll take a couple of days just to get to its destination, then likely another day or two before it gets to whoever can act on it.

RCI is also likely using feedback software that flags negative reviews left on social media sites and surveys (possibly e-mails as well). So it's unlikely that e-mail is "easily lost and ignored" by RCI.

I'm happy the OP got a satisfactory resolution to this situation.

Not to mention all of the 'circular files' in the chain of snail mail's travels.

• 1 month later...
Anytime you are taking money from someone you have to work at it.

JC

Apparently RCI didn't have to.

I'm glad you got the refund that you should have gotten immediately when they downgraded your cabin. I would like to think that was just an error and not someone thinking you wouldn't notice or fuss. Happy Sails to you and your family and many more years of better health.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums