LOST picture ID! Sail in 2 weeks, now what?

Alimariecruisin

That's not true in Florida. Thought I lost my DL last summer. Went to our local Sumter County Tax Collector's office, told them I couldn't find my DL. Filled out a form, took my picture, made a small payment, and BAM...they handed me a new DL. The OP needs to check with their local offices.

As noted, OP is in California. In California, you go to the DMV office to apply for new/renewals/replacement driver's licenses (or state IDs). They are mailed to you. It takes weeks.

Best of luck to the OP.

The other card that would work is Global Entry, but I think you can't get that without a passport.

And a note on closed loop cruises - on the cruise last week I used my passport card just to see if it would work. It did. We do a lot of California cruises, and it's nice to know that if I forget my passport I'm covered.

OP, if he does go for the passport, also get the card. Hard to lose both at the same time.

Just wondering...we have a couple of credit cards with our pictures on them...would that work???

BTW: when you get back from your cruise (even start the paperwork now), get a passport. You never know when you'll need one.

Probalynot. The requirement is for a "government issued" photo ID. However, I have seen an expired drivers' license used. I'd suggest that the OP call Princess to check for sure.

Tom

Best of luck to the OP.

The other card that would work is Global Entry, but I think you can't get that without a passport.

And a note on closed loop cruises - on the cruise last week I used my passport card just to see if it would work. It did. We do a lot of California cruises, and it's nice to know that if I forget my passport I'm covered.

OP, if he does go for the passport, also get the card. Hard to lose both at the same time.

I'm surprised but pleased. I have a card as well as the normal passport. I usually carry it in my wallet when traveling out of the country.

Your passport card will work on a cruise that does not require a passport--a closed loop cruise departing from the US and not going anywhere that requires a passport. You could do this type of cruise with a birth certificate and government issued photo ID, but the passport card will also meet the requirements.

If a cruise requires a passport, it must be a passport book.

Your passport card will work on a cruise that does not require a passport--a closed loop cruise departing from the US and not going anywhere that requires a passport. You could do this type of cruise with a birth certificate and government issued photo ID' date=' but the passport card will also meet the requirements.

If a cruise requires a passport, it must be a passport book.[/quote']

I believe that the passport card works for anything in North and Central America, or the Caribbean that doesn't require flying. So I can potentially use it for an open loop cruise from SF to Vancouver if I rent a car and fly back from Seattle.

Of course, you can also use the birth certificate for that.

I think I read that the idea of the card was that it was a cheaper option when they were going to require passports for close loop cruises. All the people who do the Caribbean cruises out of Florida complained, so voila - passport card.

I once got a passport in 90 minutes - US embassy in Buenos Aires. Good, because the cruise left that afternoon.

I believe that the passport card works for anything in North and Central America, or the Caribbean that doesn't require flying. So I can potentially use it for an open loop cruise from SF to Vancouver if I rent a car and fly back from Seattle.

Nope.

For an open loop cruise a passport is required. Does not matter how you plan to get back home.

The origin of the passport card had nothing to do with cruises. It was designed for people who do multiple border crossings between the US and either Canada or Mexico by car. It serves no purpose on cruises other than on those cruises where a passport is not required. If you are allowed to use a birth certificate and government issued photo ID, you can use a passport card.

Open loop cruises require a passport.

Nope.

For an open loop cruise a passport is required. Does not matter how you plan to get back home.

Are you sure? The Wikipedia article says only thing it's not good for is international air travel. The state department site says good for land sea port of entry in North America, Caribbean. All it says it can't be used for is international air travel. Doesn't actually mention cruises at all on the summary site.

The only mention of cruises is that the cruiseline can advise you if it's OK for your cruise (in the context that some Caribbean nations don't accept it).

Next time I cruise from or to Vancouver, I'll try it (and I'll carry the passport for the flight).

Hmmm, found another page that says as of 2009 you need a passport for open loop cruises, even that go from US port to US port - although I wonder if that's because it's open, or you have to visit a distant foreign port.

The example they use is for the Panama Canal, which visits a distant foreign port to be PSVA compliant, so don't know for sure that would apply to LA to Vancouver.

Your passport card will work on a cruise that does not require a passport--a closed loop cruise departing from the US and not going anywhere that requires a passport. You could do this type of cruise with a birth certificate and government issued photo ID' date=' but the passport card will also meet the requirements.

If a cruise requires a passport, it must be a passport book.[/quote']

Not quite true...

It will work for all Western-Hemisphere trips, closed loop or not (Granted, most of those *are* closed loop).

It's still a bad idea, because the passport card won't get you on an airplane should the need arise.

I discovered on the Monday prior to a Saturday cruise that our passports were missing. I think they were left in a purse that was donated to Goodwill. We made an appointment for passport office that night via on-line. Arrived Tuesday at 10:00 with pictures in hand, finished with paperwork by 10:30, and told to return at 2:30 and pick up the passports. We did have to show them proof that we needed it right away. We, also, had x-rox copies of our passport which may or may not have helped. Yes it was costly (especially when our car was booted when we came to pick them up because we thought buying all day parking included "in and out"--it didn't (lol) but we made our cruise. The passport expiration date was extended out to 10 years from the replacement date rather than the expiration date on the lost passports.

We were lucky at 1) we live in Houston so it was easy to get to a Federal building and 2) I didn't wait until the night before we left to retrieve the passports from our safe which I usually do. I had some euros that were floating around I wanted to put with the ones in the safe and, in the process, noted that the passports were not there.

Nope.

I believe a passport card is sufficient. My nephews joined us on a cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles. We took the train up from Washington into Vancouver, boarded the ship in Canada Place and sailed down to LA. They only had a passport card. Another time, a friend of mine went on a cruise with me from San Francisco to Vancouver and took the train back to Seattle. She used her Nexus card instead of a passport. The check in agent questioned her on it at first but checked with a supervisor and it was sufficient. These were both a couple of years ago but don't think any changes have taken place since then.

Not quite true...

It will work for all Western-Hemisphere trips, closed loop or not (Granted, most of those *are* closed loop).

It's still a bad idea, because the passport card won't get you on an airplane should the need arise.

It won’t work for all Western Hemisphere trips by land across a border or by sea. For example it would not work for Cuba. It would work for countries that have joined the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. See the Wikipedia article for a list. Other countries in the Western Hemisphere not members might accept a Passport Card, I have heard some that are not members will accept it but I would check with the cruise line if the itinerary includes countries who are not WHTI members. It really is best as you say to have a passport book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere_Travel_Initiative

You can submit one primary ID or at least TWO secondary IDs. Ultimately' date=' if you have nothing, you can have someone else who has appropriate ID attest that you are the person you claim to be. As you can see, things like a social security card, health insurance/medicare card, voter registration card, etc. do not have photos on them.

[b']Primary IDs (submit one)[/b]

• In-state, fully valid driver's license (not temporary or learner’s permit)
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card (with recognizable photo, can be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (with recognizable photo)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (with recognizable photo)
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Permanent resident card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant

Secondary IDs (submit a combination)

• In-state, fully valid non-driver ID
  • Out-of-state driver's license
  • Out-of-state non-driver ID
  • Social Security card
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license

He is Veteran and has a VA ID card and so we are hoping that will work...if not plan B will be to go to San Francisco for fast track passport. We are just waiting on a call back from Princess...

He is Veteran and has a VA ID card and so we are hoping that will work...if not plan B will be to go to San Francisco for fast track passport. We are just waiting on a call back from Princess...

I hope it will work for him to board the ship with his VA ID. However, the list of documents I posted are those needed to obtain a passport, not those to board the ship.

Just a thought, but if someone at Princess tells you that his ID is satisfactory, get a letter on Princess letterhead to that effect. You don't want to be at the port arguing that "Mary Jones at the Princess phone number" said it would be good with no documentation to that effect.....just in case.

Edited by moki'smommy

You can submit one primary ID or at least TWO secondary IDs. Ultimately' date=' if you have nothing, you can have someone else who has appropriate ID attest that you are the person you claim to be. As you can see, things like a social security card, health insurance/medicare card, voter registration card, etc. do not have photos on them.

[b']Primary IDs (submit one)[/b]

• In-state, fully valid driver's license (not temporary or learner’s permit)
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card (with recognizable photo, can be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (with recognizable photo)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (with recognizable photo)
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Permanent resident card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant

Secondary IDs (submit a combination)

• In-state, fully valid non-driver ID
  • Out-of-state driver's license
  • Out-of-state non-driver ID
  • Social Security card
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license

I would be leery of using a Medicare card as any sort of valid id as it doesn't even validate that the number shown on it is the social security number of the person whose name appears on the card! It might be accepted as a valid form of id but I wouldn't want to depend on it!! Where did that list of items come from anyway? Just curious.

Tom

I would be leery of using a Medicare card as any sort of valid id as it doesn't even validate that the number shown on it is the social security number of the person whose name appears on the card! It might be accepted as a valid form of id but I wouldn't want to depend on it!! Where did that list of items come from anyway? Just curious.

Tom

The list is from the state department web site of forms of ID acceptable to obtain a passport. The earlier post had asked how he could get an emergency passport without a driver's license.

These are NOT valid IDs for boarding the ship. And if you are using them to obtain a passport, you need a minimum of two secondary IDs. In addition, you may be asked to have another person known to you sign the attestation that you are who you say you are.

The list is from the state department web site of forms of ID acceptable to obtain a passport. The earlier post had asked how he could get an emergency passport without a driver's license.

These are NOT valid IDs for boarding the ship. And if you are using them to obtain a passport' date=' you need a minimum of two secondary IDs. In addition, you may be asked to have another person known to you sign the attestation that you are who you say you are.[/quote']

Ah, okay. Thanks for that info.

Tom

He has appointment this week in San Francisco for the emergency passport...he has everything needed for proof including me as the witness, lol...so ALL is going to be OK...lesson learned to have back up plan! Thanks for all the suggestions and comments...it was very interesting and helpful!

He has appointment this week in San Francisco for the emergency passport...he has everything needed for proof including me as the witness, lol...so ALL is going to be OK...lesson learned to have back up plan! Thanks for all the suggestions and comments...it was very interesting and helpful!

Did your husband put in for a new drivers license? If he did I wonder when it will come.

Just remember to take YOUR ID in case you need to be a witness!

As to a CA license, my daughter's took about 3 weeks the second time. The first time, the dumb clerk didn't put the apartment number on the license (it WAS on the application and we have a copy to prove it!), so the mail carrier returned it as "undeliverable" That's another odd thing as it is a small building with a list of tenants/apartment numbers posted on the wall right next to the boxes. But in any event, the DMV destroyed it since it was "undeliverable."

She had been told that a new license could take up to 10 weeks, and had called 3 times about it, making notes each time as to the date and time of call and name of person she spoke with. Each time, she got the "just wait" story. I finally called when I was out there on vacation and got a person who bothered to look up the receipt number in the computer and told me that it had been destroyed and why. To her credit, she was able to offer my daughter an appointment for the next day to have the license re-done. That one took 3 weeks.