LOST picture ID! Sail in 2 weeks, now what?

Alimariecruisin

I too would be leary of using a document that "will probably work".

I did learn from all of this that once my CA drivers license won't be accepted for domestic air (not REAL ID) I can use the passport card until it's time to renew.

Yep, I agree...that's why he made the appointment for an emergency passport...we would never accept a "probably"...I just wanted to share the info that a rep at Princess actually said that to him...even if the rep had said yes, it's acceptable, I told him to get email confirmation so we could print it up and take it with us on embark day. But it's all going to work out because he can get the passport this week.

I actually used my expired passport for domestic air travel in December, 2017. I had a DL, but am so used to getting out the passport that I did it sort of automatically. I knew that it was expired, but was holding off on a renewal until I had travel plans. It was accepted without any problem.

Yep, I agree...that's why he made the appointment for an emergency passport...we would never accept a "probably"...I just wanted to share the info that a rep at Princess actually said that to him...even if the rep had said yes, it's acceptable, I told him to get email confirmation so we could print it up and take it with us on embark day. But it's all going to work out because he can get the passport this week.

Yay!!! We were all worried. Glad the passport will come in time.:D

I actually used my expired passport for domestic air travel in December' date=' 2017. I had a DL, but am so used to getting out the passport that I did it sort of automatically. I knew that it was expired, but was holding off on a renewal until I had travel plans. It was accepted without any problem.[/quote']

I once took a domestic trip and my DL expired over the trip. I used my passport card, but I asked the TSA guy. He said that for domestic travel they'll accept expired documentation for a few months.

So glad that it's possible to get the passport. I'm with you on that "probably" bit. And no, I wouldn't trust anything verbal from Princess. Here's to a wonderful cruise!

Wonderful news. Enjoy your cruise!

To all posters who do not live in CA why bother to post.....

...because that's the way cruise critic works?

My favorites are things like:

Question: does princess allow something...

Answer: when I was on a different cruiseline 5 years ago, it was allowed...

Personally, I would prefer that all people who disagree with me refrain from posting,

but I don't see it happening.

It's not in the house, he just doesn't remember where he used it last or if it fell out of his wallet while getting a credit card out...and he is spending the day back tracking places he went since last week.

Has he looked between/under the seats of the car? I have “lost” my debit/credit card several times this way, only to find it after I’ve already cancelled it. Even though I’d thought I’d torn the car apart looking for my lost card, it would somehow magically appear (usually under he driver’s seat) as soon as I’d cancel it....lol.

Personally, I would prefer that all people who disagree with me refrain from posting,

Hey guys, this could happen to anyone in any state so best to know what your back up plans are in case it happens to you...cruise critic exists for all of us to share our experiences and our suggestions/views without others being mean...or inappropriate. I appreciate all posters who express their views respectively even if I don't agree with their opinions.

Nice to see a story with a happy ending. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. A lot of times people post a problem, and then walk away from the thread, never to return.

Roz

Californian here too. Rather than wait for the mail (too long) from an online request, I wonder if the DMV headquarters in Sacramento can expedite under the circumstances. You may actually have to go there, but worth it.

Another thought, call your state assembly person. They may have an in that a regular citizen does not. As a comparison (and admittedly on a federal issue), years ago, I need to expedite an approval from the ICE for an international adoption. Once my congressman got involved, what was promised to be a 3-month processed turned into a 2-day turn-around.

Another option is to involve your (federal) congressman to see if the State Department will bend the rules for an epedited passport (someone above in this thread wrote that a walked-through passport was for emergencies only, not just for vacation).

Good luck!

DERP! Just saw that this was resolved in a later post to the same thread. Fantastic.

Edited by Yukonjake
new info

Californian here too. Rather than wait for the mail (too long) from an online request, I wonder if the DMV headquarters in Sacramento can expedite under the circumstances. You may actually have to go there, but worth it.

Another thought, call your state assembly person. They may have an in that a regular citizen does not. As a comparison (and admittedly on a federal issue), years ago, I need to expedite an approval from the ICE for an international adoption. Once my congressman got involved, what was promised to be a 3-month processed turned into a 2-day turn-around.

Another option is to involve your (federal) congressman to see if the State Department will bend the rules for an epedited passport (someone above in this thread wrote that a walked-through passport was for emergencies only, not just for vacation).

Good luck!

DERP! Just saw that this was resolved in a later post to the same thread. Fantastic.

Awwe..no worry...I appreciate your suggestions! And you can get an emergency appointment for a passport if you are traveling on a cruise within 2 weeks (have to show proof of voyage).

I appreciate your post......and it made me laugh.....and recently I have been pretty active...so have gotten a kick out of many of your posts.....When some of us have been on these boards off and on for soooooooooooo long it can be quite amusing, especially when popular opinion changes......Enjoy.....

Edited by land lover

Awwe..no worry...I appreciate your suggestions! And you can get an emergency appointment for a passport if you are traveling on a cruise within 2 weeks (have to show proof of voyage).

Also can get an emergency birth certificate in LA county as well.....

Quick story about my sometimes brainless, but then very smart nieces and nephews....it could never be my children;) brainless that is.....right????????

So plans are...... 2 couples a 4 day Cruise with Carnival out of Long Beach. At check in they discover rather than bringing a Birth certificate...they have brought a marriage license....:eek: Big Bear too far to drive back too...Brain storm.....Mark was born in LA County ...so zoomed to Norwalk stood in an emergency line...got the certificate and made the cruise.

When you apply for a new driver's license, which your husband will have to do anyway, and they give the Interim Driver's license ... does that have a photo on it? Can that be used for the cruise as a 'Gov't ID'?

Not in California. The temporary license (paper) does have a photo, but it also says NOT A VERIFIED IDENTIFICATION right on the front of it.

When you apply for a new driver's license, which your husband will have to do anyway, and they give the Interim Driver's license ... does that have a photo on it? Can that be used for the cruise as a 'Gov't ID'?

No, the temporary license (really a receipt) does not have a photo on it.

They've solved the problem; they have an appointment for a rush passport which is available "same day."

I once took a domestic trip and my DL expired over the trip. I used my passport card, but I asked the TSA guy. He said that for domestic travel they'll accept expired documentation for a few months.

Not so in Houston. DH's driver's license was going to expire in 6-8 weeks but like a good boy, he went down to renew it as soon as he was notified. This was two weeks before a week trip to Hawaii. He was given a piece of paper certifying it has been renewed and was in the mail. They clipped the corner of his current license even though it was good for more than the time we would be in Hawaii.along with the piece of paper that it was in the works being renewed. TSA agent would not accept the DL as ID. Fortunately, he had his retired Government ID card from NASA so he got on the plane.

I live in fear that my purse will be snatched while on a trip or lost and my photo ID along with it as I only have the DL. I really don't like taking my passport on domestic trips for fear of losing that. I am tempted to go down to DMV and tell them I have "lost" my DL and need a duplicate so I'll have a back-up.

He was given a piece of paper certifying it has been renewed and was in the mail. They clipped the corner of his current license even though it was good for more than the time we would be in Hawaii.along with the piece of paper that it was in the works being renewed. TSA agent would not accept the DL as ID. Fortunately, he had his retired Government ID card from NASA so he got on the plane.

I went on a land trip ... sorry, I do know this is CC ... having just moved from Idaho to Utah ... I had that slip of paper as a temp license. At the LAST second, not kidding, I grabbed my Idaho license & it had a hole punched in it. When I boarded the plane in Utah ... no trouble. When I was checking in to board the plain in Boston to return home to Utah ... NO go. Paper temp. license no good. I showed my Idaho license and they accepted it and let me fly. OMG ... what IF I hadn't grabbed that 'old' license?!

Several months ago DH was to board a plane for a domestic flight. Realized he didn’t have his DL with him. There was not enough time for me to make the 2+ hour round trip home and back to bring his license before the flight left. The agent let him board with a Costco card for id. People seem to like DH— not sure I could have sweet talked that same pass. I did overnight his DL to him for the return flight. Needless to say, I pack all the docs when we cruise [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums