Photos of food

vent1020

SO, I am curious of what people think of this topic. I'm sure I will get answers on both sides of the topic, but want to see what the consensus is.

I want to take pictures of the food when I go on my upcoming cruise. My wife thinks that it is poor etiquette and potentially annoying to other diners. I've seen enough pictures, especially on these boards to know that it happens a lot.

So, bad etiquette or nothing wrong with it? Does it matter whether it's in the buffet, MDR or specialty restaurant. I'd love to hear opinions on it.

My friend and I always take pics of the food so we can show everyone back home when we post on Facebook. I see lots of others doing it too. If you are a table alone I don't see the problem. If others are seated with you just ask them if they mind if you take photos of your food.

Candi

I don't care either way...the pics do nothing for me though. In fact, I doubt I will even take a camera with me to eat on the ship, ever. One less thing to keep up with. All I need is the cruise card....and maybe some CASH.

NCL has their own photographers using a flash in the restaurants in hopes of getting people to shell out $20 for a picture. A person whipping out their phone and taking a picture of their food is nowhere near as obtrusive.

I have no problem with people doing it.....just do it before eating, not after. :D

Don't use flash, but otherwise I don't see a problem at all. In the buffet, even flash wouldn't annoy me provided it wasn't constantly. I don't think you'd need flash in the buffet area though. In the dining rooms, sure, but that's where you don't want to use flash to avoid annoying others.

I don't photograph everything, but I did take some photos when I remembered to so I could put them in a review later and just have them to jog my memory. I take a quick photo with my iPhone - takes 2 seconds. Now someone that is hauling out their DSLR with a macro lens and photographs their plate from every possible angle for a few minutes, then complains that the food isn't served hot -- now that would be annoying. ;)

Everyone thinks it's rude when people are photographing their food, and yet everyone wants to see pictures of the food to see what the menu items look like.

All I'm asking is that cruisers who are on a ship before me bring a small pad and pencil and copy down, in extensive detail, what is on the menu in the MDR each night (while also doing the same for the menus of each specialty restaurant and bar, as well as noting relevant activities {specific to my interests, of course} in the Freestyle Daily)

They don't HAVE to take pictures ;p;p

Everyone thinks it's rude when people are photographing their food, and yet everyone wants to see pictures of the food to see what the menu items look like.

I’ve never heard of anyone saying it’s rude to photograph ones food. Taking a picture of a person and spouse sitting at the table or taking a picture of my plate? What’s the difference??? People really need something else to whine about. That’s not directed at you, just in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love logging onto CC and seeing people post pics of Dailies, menus and food, so I'm all for it! In my humble opinion I would say common sense goes a long way, no flash, don't hold up any lines at the buffet, that kind of stuff.

I like the menus too...

Even with a flash who cares...taking pictures isn't intrusive to an adjacent table.

Especially at a neighboring table, the flash can easily blind them as well. That's the whole point of flash. To brighten the whole room. You can't spotlight it onto whatever you're taking pictures of. It bounces off the ceilings and walls so even those on the other side of the room can spot it.

That's why most people I've seen draw a line at flash. It's the second hand smoke of photography.

The act of taking pictures itself is different. You delaying eating your food is only gonna bug you. There's enough movement from waiters, people coming in/leaving, etc that you moving around to take pictures won't disturb others.