So what do you think of the new MDR menu they have recently rolled out?

I've been on 25+ cruises. Yes there are cutbacks, but looking at that menu, if you can't find anything on that menu that you like you have a problem. Maybe cruises aren't for you. Find a Ritz Carlton Hotel and Fleming Steakhouse and pay $150-$200 just for a meal per night per couple.

The flour less chocolate cake is gone and also the scallop risotto. Be careful about ordering the jumbo tiger shrimp, they were split, and you get 3 of the tiniest shrimp you can barely scrap off the shell. Also do not order the tuna. 1/4 inch thick and way over cooked. They no longer offer the salmon and chicken as the usual stand bys each night. The chicken cordon bleu was very good though:D.

I honestly haven’t seen scallop risotto for at least 5 years or before they made the last big menu changes.

New menu didn't have escargot every night and I didn't ask for it, my wife asked about a cake from the previous night which was a no go so I didn't push.

I found the same issue on Oasis 2 weeks ago. If it's not on that day's menu, forget about it. Even if it is on the menu other times during the week (escargot). I remember on a past Jewel cruise that my son (then 9) loved he Minestrone soup and our waiter made sure he had it the next night even though it wasn't on the menu. No more!!

Also why do they serve chicken parm over MASHED POTATOES? Should be with pasta

There is another thread with copies of the new menus. Hopefully I have included the link below.

New menu in the main dining room?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2572861

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Menu illustrated in post was not on the Anthem's Jan. 28th cruise. Will see if on Allure Easter cruise.

I found the same issue on Oasis 2 weeks ago. If it's not on that day's menu, forget about it. Even if it is on the menu other times during the week (escargot). I remember on a past Jewel cruise that my son (then 9) loved he Minestrone soup and our waiter made sure he had it the next night even though it wasn't on the menu. No more!!

Also why do they serve chicken parm over MASHED POTATOES? Should be with pasta

I wonder which chef came up with combo. You could also order pasta marinara to go along with the chicken parma.

I don't mind the new layout or reduction in choices at all. It makes sense and as others have mentioned, if you can't find something to eat...the problem may be you. We found many of the things left off were the terrible ones that shouldn't have been there to begin with (not all of course).

My biggest complaint is eating the exact same food 1 year later. I realize that changing menus is no small feat, but many cruise at least once a year, often on the same boat. With reduced choices, you will be eating the same things every year for a few years running.

Food was hot, good, and service matched it. We had 8 kids with 8 adults and wait staff didn't miss a beat with kids ordering off both menus at times. The food is def not what it was 10 years ago...but then the prices to get on the boat are the same or cheaper after how many 100% inflation... :D

Just off Vision OTS with new menus. At first wasn’t sure about everything being on one page and ordering everything (including dessert) at the same time, but it made for a nicer dinner IMO, and more streamlined which added to the experience. Of course, we do MTD so not sure if it affects the scheduled dinner differently. Maybe less choices but still met my tastes. On a similar note, I have to comment that for the past 2 years or so, sailing Liberty twice, Explorer and Vision once each, the MDR beef and lamb is exceptionally good. I had the leg of lamb one night, and lamb chops the last night, and they were YUMMY! Prime rib was perfect too. I love Chops but I think for my next cruise in Sept. I’m not going to bother with a specialty restaurant; just going to do MDR solely.

I don't mind the new layout or reduction in choices at all. It makes sense and as others have mentioned, if you can't find something to eat...the problem may be you. We found many of the things left off were the terrible ones that shouldn't have been there to begin with (not all of course).

My biggest complaint is eating the exact same food 1 year later. I realize that changing menus is no small feat, but many cruise at least once a year, often on the same boat. With reduced choices, you will be eating the same things every year for a few years running.

Food was hot, good, and service matched it. We had 8 kids with 8 adults and wait staff didn't miss a beat with kids ordering off both menus at times. The food is def not what it was 10 years ago...but then the prices to get on the boat are the same or cheaper after how many 100% inflation... :D

My main concern with this new, more restrictive menu is that there doesn't appear to be as many "allergy friendly" options as there were before. My daughter has Celiac, so gluten free is a necessity, not a choice. On several menus I've seen posted, the gf options are limited to 1 or 2 appetizers, 1 or 2 entrees, and ice cream for dessert. Also, while I know that she'll see the menu the night before, with the cutbacks in waitstaff, I don't know if they'll have the time to check which options might be able to be "tweaked" to make them safe for her to eat.

My main concern with this new, more restrictive menu is that there doesn't appear to be as many "allergy friendly" options as there were before. My daughter has Celiac, so gluten free is a necessity, not a choice. On several menus I've seen posted, the gf options are limited to 1 or 2 appetizers, 1 or 2 entrees, and ice cream for dessert. Also, while I know that she'll see the menu the night before, with the cutbacks in waitstaff, I don't know if they'll have the time to check which options might be able to be "tweaked" to make them safe for her to eat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when booking on the website, isn't there an option to select food restrictions? I have no idea whether or not those requests are actually acknowledged but I thought it was on the screen before you submit payment...

My friend has to have gluten free and she was looked after like a princess in MDR. Could not of done more for her. They knew she had to have gluten and would change things around for her.

Just ask! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when booking on the website, isn't there an option to select food restrictions? I have no idea whether or not those requests are actually acknowledged but I thought it was on the screen before you submit payment...

Yes, the info is attaced

attached to attache to her reservation, but the fact remains that the listed options are not great. If they had a note indicating that certain items could be modified to be gf, I'd feel better.

Yes, the info is attaced

attached to attache to her reservation, but the fact remains that the listed options are not great. If they had a note indicating that certain items could be modified to be gf, I'd feel better.

I understand the concern. I do not have food allergies but I have a friend whose child has had several near death experiences. You can never be too safe.

Menu illustrated in post was not on the Anthem's Jan. 28th cruise. Will see if on Allure Easter cruise.

The RCI app shows the new menus on the Allure. We are on the week before Easter. They had them on the Serenade in January, but the desert choices were just stapled to the menu. It looked to be a work in process then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums