Non-Refundable Deposit??

Hello everyone

Giving you an update on my progress. RCI is refunding me the total amount minus $400 change fee and Cruise Vouchers.

Thank you all for your advice

Excellent.

(Although your announcement of the outcome is rather dry and muted.)

I expected at least a "woohoo" or a "hallelujah".

;)

Hello everyone

Giving you an update on my progress. RCI is refunding me the total amount minus $400 change fee and Cruise Vouchers.

Thank you all for your advice

Glad it worked out- Scary that you had to go thru all that though. AND welcome to Cruise Critic:)

I am confused, why make any payment not yet required when you can leave it in the bank until required by the cruise ship company? I always figure the more you have control over the money the better.

I am confused, why make any payment not yet required when you can leave it in the bank until required by the cruise ship company?.

Because many people make financial decisions based on psychology not best interests.

was going to book 10 day cruise. haven't been on RCCL in a while

WHEN did they go with the "non-refundable deposit"

even tried to book with Costco Travel -same results. Is this something new or has it been like this and why did they change

You can do a refundable deposit but it will cost more.

I am confused, why make any payment not yet required when you can leave it in the bank until required by the cruise ship company? I always figure the more you have control over the money the better.

Different reasons.

I am going to pay a spring 2019 cruise in the next week or so.

But I got an RCI credit card, and it came with no interest for 15 or 18 months for all purchases in the first 60 days.

So I get a no-interest loan, plus credits towards refundable OBC. :D

Some people also like paying small amounts every so often, versus setting up a separate bank account to accumulate the funds.

You can always pay a little more for a refundable deposit option.

Has Royal done away with the “Refundable” option for new bookings? I was looking at newly released itineraries, and they automatically come up as “non-refundable deposit” pricing.

Has Royal done away with the “Refundable” option for new bookings? I was looking at newly released itineraries' date=' and they automatically come up as “non-refundable deposit” pricing.[/quote']

No, but they become even more deceptive by burying the choice farther down the booking process. You have to enter the guest info and then you get a checkbox to opt for refundable.

• 4 months later...

Could this work ?

I have 750 usd non ref deposit.

I want to cancel the cruise, so 100 usd three times ( 3 persons ) are lost, and 450 is in future credit.

But i do not want future credit.

So if i change the booking to another ship, and i choose a booking with refundable deposit. Then i pay the 300 penalty but the 450 is in the new booking , and i can cancel this one without penalty?

Could that work ?

Could this work ?

I want to cancel the cruise, so 100 usd three times ( 3 persons ) are lost, and 450 is in future credit.

So if i change the booking to another ship, and i choose a booking with refundable deposit. Then i pay the 300 penalty but the 450 is in the new booking , and i can cancel this one without penalty?

Could that work ?

No, because when you cancel, change ship, or change sailing date, you lose the $100 per person and get the remainder as a future cruise credit that expires in one year. You never get cash back from Royal on a non-refundable deposit.

Could this work ?

Could that work ?

You will pay the $300 penalty and then get issued a $450 Future cruise certificate. You would then have to book a new cruise (refundable) and pay the deposit. Then you would apply the $450 FCC to that booking. You would then cancel that reservation. All that said I don't think that they will refund you the $450, you wouly only get the deposit that you pay for that booking back. I don't believe that any FCC are refundable.

You will pay the $300 penalty and then get issued a $450 Future cruise certificate. You would then have to book a new cruise (refundable) and pay the deposit. Then you would apply the $450 FCC to that booking. You would then cancel that reservation. All that said I don't think that they will refund you the $450, you wouly only get the deposit that you pay for that booking back. I don't believe that any FCC are refundable.

I think the FCC would go back to the customer, to be used on another cruise, with the original expiration date.

I think the FCC would go back to the customer, to be used on another cruise, with the original expiration date.

Correct but I think they want to apply it to a new refundable reservation and then cancel that one and hope to get the $450 back. Which I don't think will work as they really have no actual cash value

Correct but I think they want to apply it to a new refundable reservation and then cancel that one and hope to get the $450 back. Which I don't think will work as they really have no actual cash value

Sure, they will get their second deposit back, but the fact that the second booking is refundable has no effect on the FCC. Even when applied, it stays an FCC.

• 1 year later...

Sunday, daughter and I were trying to book 3 balcony rooms and called royal caribbean agent to ask question.  She was so helpful and we liked location and cabins so we went ahead and booked.  She never mentioned nonrefundable deposit.  When I pulled up our receipt from Royal I noticed NFD.  We also took out vacation protection plan.  If we have to cancel due to a illness and can't go on cruise I assume we do not get our NFD back??? She did explain if they have to cancel due to Covid we could get a 100% refund or 125% credit toward  a future cruise.  I never thought to ask about deposit.  Cruise is on Harmony of the Seas in February 2021.

1 hour ago, dcmcruiser said:

Sunday, daughter and I were trying to book 3 balcony rooms and called royal caribbean agent to ask question.  She was so helpful and we liked location and cabins so we went ahead and booked.  She never mentioned nonrefundable deposit.  When I pulled up our receipt from Royal I noticed NFD.  We also took out vacation protection plan.  If we have to cancel due to a illness and can't go on cruise I assume we do not get our NFD back??? She did explain if they have to cancel due to Covid we could get a 100% refund or 125% credit toward  a future cruise.  I never thought to ask about deposit.  Cruise is on Harmony of the Seas in February 2021.

You can file insurance claim since you took out insurance. Let's hope you are not ill. I'm booked end of February and hoping cruises are a go by then. I saw another thread saying staggered and delayed boarding times on harmony for this Nov due to cleaning between cruises, later than before. 

Any cruise booked before sept 30th, you can cancel and get fcc and use fcc for another later date. Good luck and hope we get to cruise.

8 hours ago, dcmcruiser said:

Under the current Cruise with Confidence you can cancel for any reason up to 48 hours prior to the date of departure and get a 100% FCC.

It is only if Royal cancels the sailing that you would get a refund or a 125% FCC.

unless you need Royal’s  insurance for medical coverage while at sea (which IMO is very poor coverage) The current CWC policy is a good alternative to  the cancellation insurance provided by Royal.  You may be better off just buying a medical only policy privately and cancelling Royals insurance. 

With Royals Insurance coverage if you cancel for a covered reason you get back 100% of the money paid including the Non refundable deposit.  If you use the cancel for any reason then you get back 75% as a FCC